PDA

View Full Version : Is David Goffin The Next Big Thing?

El Nino
10-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Flat, Hard Groundstrokes and a awesome all rounded game. Really impressed with his return of serves against Isner too. Kind of reminds me of Agassi when he was around 21ish. So does anyone think big things to come for Goffin in a few years time?

RF20Lennon
10-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Could be!! Guy has serious talent IMO took the first set off fed in their FO encounter

ditli04
10-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Actually, in my opinion he has a shot if he gets more consistent. He had some success this season and pushed good player (Federer for nearly 2 sets by the FO). Furthermore I quite like his game so I'm looking forward to the next season!

Hood_Man
10-24-2012, 11:48 AM
I really hope so. He made me question my loyalty to Fed at this years French Open. When he won the first set (and I think he had a set point in the second too?), I can put my hand on my heart and say that I was totally fine with the feeling that Federer might lose.

It was an interesting experience :?

veroniquem
10-24-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't think so but the guy is cute :)

MurrayMyInspiration
10-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Needs to spend off season hitting the gym!! If if bulks up a little he can make a push next year!

underground
10-24-2012, 12:30 PM
I really hope so. He made me question my loyalty to Fed at this years French Open. When he won the first set (and I think he had a set point in the second too?), I can put my hand on my heart and say that I was totally fine with the feeling that Federer might lose.

It was an interesting experience :?

Goffin didn't get SP in the 2nd set but it was a closely contested match.

Unlike Tomic, Goffin has shown good results backing up his FO run. Wimbly run to Mardy Fish, though lost to Berdych in the 1st round in USO, it was a tough match and Berdych was playing too well saving tons of BPs with aces so Goffin couldn't do much.

He managed to break Isner twice, this a good thing for a start.

He's still young, let's see what he can do in the AO.

Rozroz
10-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Flat, Hard Groundstrokes and a awesome all rounded game. Really impressed with his return of serves against Isner too. Kind of reminds me of Agassi when he was around 21ish. So does anyone think big things to come for Goffin in a few years time?

where de-facque did you watch this? there was no streaming for this, i was soo mad i missed it. were you at the match?

El Nino
10-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Some African/Middle Eastern channel Called DubaiSports

El Nino
10-24-2012, 01:31 PM
For me he is the next Nalbandian. Maybe not as marginally talented but has the same type of strokes and playing style. Time will tell if he will be as successful. (Hopefully he won't be any harm to any linesmen or Billboards)

Steve0904
10-24-2012, 01:32 PM
I hope so. I love the kids game. I think he's got a good shot at doing big things if he does the right things because he's got the talent.

dominikk1985
10-24-2012, 01:49 PM

Normally big, flat hard groundstrokes is not a good sign for a successfull career. those guys make a splash in the scene, everybody says they are unbeatable but a few years later people figure them out or they are injured.
happened to safin, söderling, del potro, ivanovic... (and I have not even mentioned Gulbis:D)

Everyone raves about them but which of the tall ball bashers really had a good long successfull career?

MindoverMatter
10-24-2012, 02:03 PM
He really rises to the challenge, posted great results in the slams this year

forzamilan90
10-24-2012, 02:08 PM
He's a Fed fan, so he's cool in my book, hope he fulfills his potential

El Nino
10-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Apart from Gulbis, these players need to get to grandslam finals and need to beat the Best of the best (Delpo beating Fed, Safin beating Sampras etc.) to get that Elite recognition and 3 out of four of them won. Goffin was pretty unknown until the FO 4th round when he suddenly opened peoples eyes so maybe the pressure is not on him unlike the other Flat Hitters who need to back up their wins. The injuries side of things I can't explain as I'm a Topspin Junkie!

Rozroz
10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Some African/Middle Eastern channel Called DubaiSports

it's so weird there haven't been one stream and yet they had the match live..
don't get it.

ivan_the_terrible
10-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Needs to spend off season hitting the gym!! If if bulks up a little he can make a push next year!

You mean like the guy in your avatar? I hope he has some principles and stay away from that stuff.

El Nino
10-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Delpo too early to criticise. But Agassi, Serena and Venus, Davenport and Kafelnikov had or currently have good careers as Ballbashers

Gonzo_style
10-24-2012, 02:30 PM
I hope so, we need "fresh blood" on ATP.

MurrayMyInspiration
10-24-2012, 02:31 PM
You mean like the guy in your avatar? I hope he has some principles and stay away from that stuff.

What stuff..Bagels with peanut butter, sushi, 5000+calories a day?

El Nino
10-24-2012, 02:33 PM
@Rozroz
I expected one, but I'm pretty shocked as to why it hasn't been streamed as well. The match wasn't live though I was aired like 2 hours after it had been played.

Steve0904
10-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Normally big, flat hard groundstrokes is not a good sign for a successfull career. those guys make a splash in the scene, everybody says they are unbeatable but a few years later people figure them out or they are injured.
happened to safin, söderling, del potro, ivanovic... (and I have not even mentioned Gulbis:D)

Everyone raves about them but which of the tall ball bashers really had a good long successfull career?

I don't see why you're comparing Goffin to guys like Soderling, and Del Potro, not to mention a WTA player who I will just ignore. Goffin plays nothing like either of them.

Rozroz
10-24-2012, 02:36 PM
@Rozroz
I expected one, but I'm pretty shocked as to why it hasn't been streamed as well. The match wasn't live though I was aired like 2 hours after it had been played.

thanks.. well too bad. hope all his next matches will be streamed.

Steve0904
10-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Delpo too early to criticise. But Agassi, Serena and Venus, Davenport and Kafelnikov had or currently have good careers as Ballbashers

I'm not sure I'd say any of those players were ball bashers. Serena, and Venus MAYBE, but not the other 3. There's a difference between being a ball basher, and just having sweet timing. Goffin is in the category of having sweet timing.

El Nino
10-24-2012, 03:04 PM
@Steve0904
Agassi looked like a pure ball basher before teaming with Brad Gilbert. Brad turned him into a more Machine baseliner with extra added placement and still keeping a lot of pace on his groundstrokes.

beast of mallorca
10-24-2012, 03:12 PM
I hope Goffin reaches at least the final. I like his game. Him,Nishikori are the upstarts I'm rooting for.

mental midget
10-24-2012, 03:18 PM
federer said some pretty nice things about him after their match, and he doesn't necessarily throw compliments around for no reason. seemed to consider him a legit talent fwiw.

Gonzalito17
10-24-2012, 05:27 PM
There just ran an interview with Goffin which is a pretty good read...

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles/david-goffin-biofile/

First Tennis Memory: "I was six years old when I played my first tournament and I was so excited to play my first official tournament in Belgium. I did not do so good but it was my first official tournament. I didn't have a ranking when I was six. But I loved that day, I played a lot of tournaments after."

Tennis Inspirations: "My father (Michael) was a professor. I got in tennis because of him. And my brother (Simon) was also playing good. And I was watching a lot of Pete Sampras when I was young. That's why I began to play tennis."

Last Book Read: "I don't read a lot, it was probably a book from school but I don't remember the name."

Current Car: "Alfa Romeo MiTo (gray)."

First Famous Tennis Player You Met Or Encountered: "I think it was in Paris, Bercy Masters. I was there to watch Christophe Rochus. I think he was playing Karol Kucera in qualies. I think it was the first match that I saw."

Greatest Sports Moment: "French Open, of course, against Federer. It was the fourth round. On the big court. It was great. (Did Federer say anything to you after?) Yes, there was a little speech on the court and it was very friendly. It was a great match and I had a hug with him. It was great."

Most Painful Moment: "Just had an injury in my abs for four or five months. It was not easy. I was doing bad. It was a painful moment. After Australian Open last year."

Favorite Tournament: "Wimbledon."

Closest Tennis Friends: "Steve Darcis and Oli Rochus, all the Belgian guys."

Funniest Player Encountered: "Tursunov. I've played against him in Malaysia. And he wanted to play...there was a video game, like football games, FIFA. And he wanted to always play that FIFA, directly after the match. 'Come on, I want to play, I want to play [smiles].'"

Strangest Match: "Not a weird match...at the end last year I was playing six matches and I won five times 7-6 in the third. I don't know why but every time I was in the third set it was 7-6 and I won five in a row, 7-6 in the third."

Favorite Sport Outside Tennis: "Golf."

Three Athletes You Like To Watch & Follow: "Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods and maybe Usain Bolt. In tennis, Federer and Oli Rochus. He (Rochus) has a lot of talent, beautiful game, beautiful backhand. It's nice to see a lot of rallies and slice. Good player to watch. And he's a fighter also."

Nickname: "Goff."

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: "Vanilla and chocolate."

Best You Ever Felt On Court: "In Futures, when I was so excited to go on the Tour. I was playing Futures $10,000, it was my first match or second match against a seeded player ranked around 500 and I won 2 and 2. But my opponent was so big and he served like John Isner and I was returning all the balls and he didn't know what happened. It was exciting."

People Qualities Most Admired: "To respect. And generosity."

Gonzalito17
10-24-2012, 05:28 PM
I like his game, some mad skills, saw him play Federer pretty well in Paris and he lost to good match to Fish at Wimbledon. He's pretty close to cracking into the elites. I like how he's come in sort of under the radar without all the ballyhoo and pressure of expectations.

cc0509
10-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Next big thing? I don't think so. Next big things have usually done a lot more than Goffin has at 21 , almost 22.

beast of mallorca
10-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Next big thing? I don't think so. Next big things have usually done a lot more than Goffin has at 21 , almost 22.

Who do you think is the next Big thing then ?

cc0509
10-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Who do you think is the next Big thing then ?

Not sure. Certainly "next big things" like Nadal, Federer, Sampras, Borg, McEnroe, etc. and even players like Andy Murray did big things by their teens--i.e. winning big matches against the top five or winning ATP titles.

beast of mallorca
10-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Not sure. Certainly "next big things" like Nadal, Federer, Sampras, Borg, McEnroe, etc. and even players like Andy Murray did big things by their teens--i.e. winning big matches against the top five or winning ATP titles.

Surely the Big 4 are not gonna be there forever. In 5 years time they would be almost done. Somebody in the 18 -22 range are bound to be number 1-5, who are those in the field playing like that now. Hope it's not Tomic or Harrison.

Maybe it's Filip Peliwo ? :)

cc0509
10-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Surely the Big 4 are not gonna be there forever. In 5 years time they would be almost done. Somebody in the 18 -22 range are bound to be number 1-5, who are those in the field playing like that now. Hope it's not Tomic or Harrison.

I don't think it will be Tomic or Harrison. Maybe it will be a kid like Peliwo who will just come out of the juniors and make a big splash in the ATP.

dominikk1985
10-24-2012, 06:53 PM

well maybe this 18-22 generation will never make it. Probably the next big thing is 15 now and will come into the scene like nadal and becker did.

I would not be surprised if the big 4 (or 3 when fed is retired in a year or 2) would never let the 88-93 guys to the top and instead cling on to the lead till the guys born 95 and after are ready to take over. maybe among those guys there is a better talent.

cork_screw
10-24-2012, 08:23 PM
I think he is. And not just because he just recently upset isner. But his game is really sweet to watch. He strikes the ball very reminiscent to a fed like strike. I really enjoy his game. This guy is going to be the real deal. Not so with Raonic or Dimitrov or any of those other over hyped guys. Oh and forget about Tobias Kamke. Only good thing about his is how cool his name sounds.

Warmaster
10-25-2012, 12:16 AM
The best thing about Goffin is that his mindset and mentality are really good.

Talent-wise he looks promising as well, he strikes the ball very well; hits cleanly, though his relatively short height will make it harder for him. It will be interesting to follow his career. If he puts in the hours in the gym, he can make it far in my opinion.

joeri888
10-25-2012, 12:19 AM
well maybe this 18-22 generation will never make it. Probably the next big thing is 15 now and will come into the scene like nadal and becker did.

I would not be surprised if the big 4 (or 3 when fed is retired in a year or 2) would never let the 88-93 guys to the top and instead cling on to the lead till the guys born 95 and after are ready to take over. maybe among those guys there is a better talent.

It is surely up for debate whether Fed will be the first of the big 4 to retire.

El Nino
10-25-2012, 02:07 AM
No would give a flying monkeys about Grigor if he didn't have the similarities to Fed. Otherwise he would be just another pro tennis player. Tomic is SUPER overrated and hasnt really beaten any superior player, and lately he's been the ATPs resident Bagel Boy (how many matches in the last few months has he suffered a bagel?) He also has the forehand motion of a 3.5 but it works for him otherwise he wouldn't be a pro

TheNatural
10-25-2012, 08:10 AM
There just ran an interview with Goffin which is a pretty good read...

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles/david-goffin-biofile/

First Tennis Memory: "I was six years old when I played my first tournament and I was so excited to play my first official tournament in Belgium. I did not do so good but it was my first official tournament. I didn't have a ranking when I was six. But I loved that day, I played a lot of tournaments after."

Tennis Inspirations: "My father (Michael) was a professor. I got in tennis because of him. And my brother (Simon) was also playing good. And I was watching a lot of Pete Sampras when I was young. That's why I began to play tennis."

Last Book Read: "I don't read a lot, it was probably a book from school but I don't remember the name."

Current Car: "Alfa Romeo MiTo (gray)."

First Famous Tennis Player You Met Or Encountered: "I think it was in Paris, Bercy Masters. I was there to watch Christophe Rochus. I think he was playing Karol Kucera in qualies. I think it was the first match that I saw."

Greatest Sports Moment: "French Open, of course, against Federer. It was the fourth round. On the big court. It was great. (Did Federer say anything to you after?) Yes, there was a little speech on the court and it was very friendly. It was a great match and I had a hug with him. It was great."

Most Painful Moment: "Just had an injury in my abs for four or five months. It was not easy. I was doing bad. It was a painful moment. After Australian Open last year."

Favorite Tournament: "Wimbledon."

Closest Tennis Friends: "Steve Darcis and Oli Rochus, all the Belgian guys."

Funniest Player Encountered: "Tursunov. I've played against him in Malaysia. And he wanted to play...there was a video game, like football games, FIFA. And he wanted to always play that FIFA, directly after the match. 'Come on, I want to play, I want to play [smiles].'"

Strangest Match: "Not a weird match...at the end last year I was playing six matches and I won five times 7-6 in the third. I don't know why but every time I was in the third set it was 7-6 and I won five in a row, 7-6 in the third."

Favorite Sport Outside Tennis: "Golf."

Three Athletes You Like To Watch & Follow: "Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods and maybe Usain Bolt. In tennis, Federer and Oli Rochus. He (Rochus) has a lot of talent, beautiful game, beautiful backhand. It's nice to see a lot of rallies and slice. Good player to watch. And he's a fighter also."

Nickname: "Goff."

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: "Vanilla and chocolate."

Best You Ever Felt On Court: "In Futures, when I was so excited to go on the Tour. I was playing Futures $10,000, it was my first match or second match against a seeded player ranked around 500 and I won 2 and 2. But my opponent was so big and he served like John Isner and I was returning all the balls and he didn't know what happened. It was exciting."

People Qualities Most Admired: "To respect. And generosity."

Goffin is a future slam winner if he gets a few tips from his hero Sampras.

ivan_the_terrible
10-25-2012, 08:37 AM
What stuff..Bagels with peanut butter, sushi, 5000+calories a day?

Is that how Murray got his six pack?

beast of mallorca
10-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Have you spotted one in the junior league. Don't really follow them. Did watch the Orange Bowl in tennis channel 2 yrs back. Remembered that Quincy guy. Wonder where he's game is at right now.

MurrayMyInspiration
10-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Is that how Murray got his six pack?

Thats how he built muscle. Core training got him his six pack although it is not as defined now as in that pic...That was the peak of his condition pre aussie open!

PCXL-Fan
10-25-2012, 10:03 AM
federer said some pretty nice things about him after their match, and he doesn't necessarily throw compliments around for no reason. seemed to consider him a legit talent fwiw.

Federer called precocaine Gasquet one of the best one of the best & most talented players, but Gasquet turned into a mental midget.

Steve0904
10-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Federer called precocaine Gasquet one of the best one of the best & most talented players, but Gasquet turned into a mental midget.

Yes, but I don't think Federer was talking about the mental aspect. He was simply talking about his strokes.

ivan_the_terrible
10-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Thats how he built muscle. Core training got him his six pack although it is not as defined now as in that pic...That was the peak of his condition pre aussie open!

That's an unnatural physique for a tennis player, what year was that pic taken?

Sabratha
10-27-2012, 01:01 AM
He could well be. He's one to watch next year, for sure.

morten
10-27-2012, 01:50 AM
He`s the next small thing...

batz
10-27-2012, 02:27 AM
[B]That's an unnatural physique for a tennis player, what year was that pic taken?

2009. Can I ask why you feel you are qualified to make the statement in bold and on what basis you formed your conclusion? Thanks.

Polvorin
10-28-2012, 08:15 AM
I certainly see him making the top 20 in the future. The kid has game.

5th Element
10-29-2012, 08:40 AM
I think I was one of the first to post on Goffin here several years back (you can do a search). He caught my eye at a Futures in Greece 4 years ago ranked 1,200 and been following him ever since. My prediction then was he'd be a top 50 one day.

I was wrong. He looks more like a top 20 at worst and a top 10 if he stays healthy.

Rozroz
10-29-2012, 08:42 AM
how is he holding up in Paris?

Rozroz
10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
f0ck that :(
already lost in the qualifiers?
he's still very inconsistent i'm afraid.

5th Element
10-29-2012, 10:20 AM
He's playing almost a full schedule... he's getting tired which is unsurprising. It also means he's not juicing like some.

Bjorn99
10-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Murray knows all about compound pharmacy.

ctoth666
10-29-2012, 07:50 PM

Actually disagree with that. Agility and endurance training are what he needs, not bulk.