PDA

View Full Version : Why don't women have any special service motions?

tennis_pro
10-24-2012, 02:29 PM
If you look at ATP players almost every player has his own motion, Federer's got a really fluid one, Djokovic bounces the ball a couple times and then "opens up", Cilic bends his knees a lot, even Wawrinka has a special kind of motion that nobody copies (where he barely bends his knees)

As for the ladies, every single WTA player seems to have an ordinary service motion.

Why is that?

dominikk1985
10-24-2012, 02:44 PM
If you look at ATP players almost every player has his own motion, Federer's got a really fluid one, Djokovic bounces the ball a couple times and then "opens up", Cilic bends his knees a lot, even Wawrinka has a special kind of motion that nobody copies (where he barely bends his knees)

As for the ladies, every single WTA player seems to have an ordinary service motion.

Why is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM-YJaSd9e4

:D

veroniquem
10-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Bartoli has the weirdest service motion ever.

Rock Strongo
10-24-2012, 03:02 PM
I'd like to see someone do the "early Cilic" on the women's tour. Would destroy their backs after 2 serves.

dr325i
10-24-2012, 03:43 PM

Why is that?

Bartoli and Petkovic are two that come to mind. Masha has her weird bounces, too
I am sure there are many more...

Also, to me, Djokovic and Federer have different but "ordinary" services...

Steve0904
10-24-2012, 03:55 PM

Why is that?

I think I get what you're trying to say. There may be a few women that have "special serves", like Bartoli, (Stosur is coming to mind now) but when you watch the men serve it seems like they have better, more flowing motions which is why they rarely ever break down under pressure or otherwise. Ex: Tsonga, Federer, Murray, the recently retired Roddick. I don't think the women use their legs enough in some instances or they have a bad ball toss. Ex: Ivanovic, or the retired Dementieva.

kaku
10-24-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm more curios as to why all the WTA players have very similar looking forehands. The forehands of all the male players are very distinguishable.

dominikk1985
10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm more curios as to why all the WTA players have very similar looking forehands. The forehands of all the male players are very distinguishable.

women have usually more of a unit turn stroke. because they are not as strong they have to rely more on body rotation to create power. they also have to hit flat to create power.

Men also use rotation but they have more of an independent arm action and generate more spin.

chrischris
10-24-2012, 04:01 PM

Why is that?

'Every single WTA player' is a an exaggeration.

Netspirit
10-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I guess men just treat their serves as weapons, practice and tweak them a lot during childhood. Women do not consider that shot any more special for their games than, say, a serve return, so they learn and stick to the textbook motion, regardless of whether it is optimal for their personal biomechanics or not. You can see the same pattern in volleyball.

Another theory is that male bodies are usually differ more than female ones. The mother nature uses men as agents of change and mutation, and women as agents of selection and heredity. This also explains why there are more idiots and geniuses among men.

MichaelNadal
10-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Venus has a pretty distinct motion.

Towser83
10-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Why is that?

a couple of times?!! ;)

seriously though, I don't know the answer..

dominikk1985
10-24-2012, 05:50 PM
another thing is that women don't throw a lot as childs. throwing is an athletic motion that has to be learned early. in contrast to that groundstrokes are quite simple.

boys on the other hand throw objects very early (especially in the US) and thus have a better natural throwing motion.

KineticChain
10-24-2012, 05:59 PM
this is pretty... unique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kpelRORbGk

veroniquem
10-24-2012, 06:45 PM
another thing is that women don't throw a lot as childs. throwing is an athletic motion that has to be learned early. in contrast to that groundstrokes are quite simple.

boys on the other hand throw objects very early (especially in the US) and thus have a better natural throwing motion. Boys throw objects more in the US than in other countries ?? Care to elaborate?

PCXL-Fan
10-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Boys throw objects more in the US than in other countries ?? Care to elaborate?

Baseball & Football. In Europe soccer dominates and baseball and football are much much less played.

Here in Australia we tend to use the word toss instead of for throw. Boys tend to toss more in general.

NLBwell
10-24-2012, 08:58 PM
In the U.S. we go to bars and toss midgets.

RAFA2005RG
10-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Venus has a 100% different service action to Serena, and they are from the same family!

Cup8489
10-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Venus has a 100% different service action to Serena, and they are from the same family!

John McEnroe and Pat McEnroe have games that are about as opposite as you can get, and theyre from the same family!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4fLWCcg7OA

joeri888
10-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Boys throw objects more in the US than in other countries ?? Care to elaborate?

In Europe, we boys kick a football (a real (foot)ball, not an egg). My perception of the US is that every dead gives his son a glove and a baseball for his first birthday.

Zarfot Z
10-25-2012, 02:45 AM
Bartoli has the weirdest service motion ever.

And ugliest.

Orion3
10-25-2012, 02:53 AM
In the U.S. we go to bars and toss midgets.

Used to do that in London...until it was banned!

Dwarf throwing and Dwarf 10-pin bowling (on skateboard) have to be 2 of the best sports (that never took off).:twisted:

Orion3
10-25-2012, 02:57 AM
I watched Bartoli play a set the other week - Weirdest bit was that she practised her service motion...and it was normal. She then proceeds to serve with her normal motion - best described as serrving with a broken arm in a cast.

augustobt
10-25-2012, 03:03 AM
this is pretty... unique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kpelRORbGk

Man... what the f... I didn't served like that not even when I was a child.

Alchemy-Z
10-25-2012, 04:17 AM
That chick Dogopolov has a very interesting motion

Andres
10-25-2012, 05:05 AM
In Europe, we boys kick a football (a real (foot)ball, not an egg). My perception of the US is that every dead gives his son a glove and a baseball for his first birthday.
Haha! What a great typo!

https://myvoyagethroughtime.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/zombie-baseball.jpg?w=405&h=241

http://chugginmonkeys.com/img/upload/cache/540x450_zombie_baseball_4c2a14a6a2150.jpg

http://bimg2.mlstatic.com/mascara-hallowen-profesional-latex-zombie-baseball_MCO-F-3307397010_102012.jpg

dr325i
10-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Man... what the f... I didn't served like that not even when I was a child.

and you never will...
Looking ugly does not mean it is not effective...

augustobt
10-25-2012, 06:24 AM
and you never will...
Looking ugly does not mean it is not effective...

Man, her average serve speed on that match was ridiculous 63mph. Come on. That is really not effective.

Bobby Jr
10-25-2012, 06:34 AM
On a similar note I vote for Philipp Kohlschreiber as the ATP player with the most WTA style serve.

Truly horrendous lead up to the hitting part.... as soon as he starts the forward part of the swing it comes right and is quite effective.
http://youtu.be/BPpvGpoJBf4

augustobt
10-25-2012, 06:41 AM
And her eyes and mouth during the toss... man, that's very sissy.

dr325i
10-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Man, her average serve speed on that match was ridiculous 63mph. Come on. That is really not effective.

Looks like she won that point...
I'd like to see you win it ;)
Anyway, my comment was not necessarily about her serve...but many other "ugly" motions...

jaggy
10-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Its a good point, if you drive around you always find Americans throwing balls(football or baseballs), never seen that in Europe

zebedee
10-28-2012, 01:08 AM
This guys serve defines uniqueness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQYOW1DlydU

jokinla
10-28-2012, 01:18 AM
They're too focused on their grunting.