PDA

View Full Version : Where will your favorite players play their last match ?

tennisaddict
10-24-2012, 05:03 PM
After seeing Ferrero play his last match at his home/own tournament at Valencia, it got me thinking where do we think other top players will choose to play their last tournamet.

Here are my choices

Federer - Basel (not Wimbledon)
Serena - Australian Open / YE championship
Hewitt - Australian Open
Haas - US Open
Blake - US Open
Murray - Wimbledon

What are your thougts and what are the choices for any other players ?

Nadal - Wimbledon 2R against Rosol is not an option.

beast of mallorca
10-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Dude, you beat me to it. I was just about to do a thread about this.

tennisaddict
10-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Dude, you beat me to it. I was just about to do a thread about this.

'Great men think alike'.

What are your choices ?

beast of mallorca
10-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Nadal - Valencia as well. Last tournament of the year in his home soil. I think that's the best farewell tournament for him to say goodbye

Federer - Basel. Same reason as above. Maybe WTF as a second option

beast of mallorca
10-24-2012, 05:12 PM
'Great men think alike'.

What are your choices ?

I was going to make individual threads for Fed and Rafa.

For Rafa the choicest would have been Valencia, French Open, Wimbledon or WTF

For Fed, it would have been Basel, USOpen, Wimbledon or WTF

Towser83
10-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Nadal - Valencia as well. Last tournament of the year in his home soil. I think that's the best farewell tournament for him to say goodbye

Federer - Basel. Same reason as above. Maybe WTF as a second option

Valencia seems an odd choice given that he doesn't usually (maybe has never?) played it. Surely better to finsh somewhere you have memories.

RG or Wimbledon maybe?

roundiesee
10-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Definitely Wimbledon for Roger, nowhere else will be more fitting for the great man, :)

veroniquem
10-24-2012, 05:21 PM
No matter where, I would like their last event to be one that they win (like Sampras).

beast of mallorca
10-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Valencia seems an odd choice given that he doesn't usually (maybe has never?) played it. Surely better to finsh somewhere you have memories.

RG or Wimbledon maybe?

As I said, it's the last tournament in Spain. And knowing that he is a 'homebuddy'
it really is not that odd. I'm sure he would relish saying goodbye to his countrymen just like Juanqui.

But I understand what you mean. Although saying goodbye at French Open, although full of memories, he will not be embraced as warmly in France compared to if he does it in Spain. WTF, although, the last big tournament of the year won't be really appropriate since he has not YET won it.

The second option would be Wimbledon.

beast of mallorca
10-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Definitely Wimbledon for Roger, nowhere else will be more fitting for the great man, :)

US Open is not that bad. To say goodbye in the last Slam of the year where he won a number of.

BauerAlmeida
10-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Hewitt in Australia (but who retires at the beginning of the season?)
Federer in Basel
Nadal...hard to say..RG maybe as there isn't a tournament in Spain in the last months except Valencia which he never played.

The others probably in any tournament at the end of the year, like Safin did. Not a tournament in particular.

Netspirit
10-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Nadal could care less about RG, and the RG crowd pays him back.

I am sure Nadal prefers Wimbledon, his favorite and most special tournament (well, maybe until recently ;)).

kishnabe
10-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Federer-Wimbledon
Serena-US Open
Nadal-Barcelona
Hewitt- Australian Open
Nalbandian- DC Win against Spain in the finals in front of his home crowd.
Blake-US Open...Represent New York.
Djokovic- Indian Wells
Murray-Miami

beast of mallorca
10-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Federer-Wimbledon
Serena-US Open
Nadal-Barcelona
Hewitt- Australian Open
Nalbandian- DC Win against Spain in the finals in front of his home crowd.
Blake-US Open...Represent New York.
Djokovic- Indian Wells
Murray-Miami

Nadal, Murray, Djokovic .......Seriously ?
Why may I ask ?

Steve0904
10-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Federer- Tough call, but I'd say Wimbledon. Basel is near the end of the year in his hometown, but I just can't envision Federer not retiring at a major. The USO is a possibility since it's the last major, and he hasn't exactly done bad there either, but Federer's career and some of his most important records have revolved around Wimbledon quite literally if you really look at it.

Serena-US Open. Well as if that's not obvious.

Nadal is a tough one to pick too. I don't think the French crowd appreciates Rafa that much so it's not an automatic that he'll retire at RG. I think Nadal should retire at a major too, but I don't know if I could pick one other than RG. I suppose he could retire at the USO, even if he doesn't play any events in between RG and the last major. The only other spots I could see would be Madrid, although I don't think Rafa likes it much there, or Barcelona, but those events are too small IMHO.

Hewitt- Australian Open. I think this is rather obvious as well.

Blake-US Open. Another obvious one

Djokovic- Belgrade...maybe the USO.

Murray-Wimbledon

kishnabe
10-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Nadal, Murray, Djokovic .......Seriously ?
Why may I ask ?

Nadal.....for Mallorca. Murray because he loves Miami, Lives in Miami, Trains in Miami, the footballers of Miami love him.

Djokovic....because it boring to say US Open..

elpolaco84
10-24-2012, 07:23 PM
most of the times, If they're about to retire, its because they cant even go trough R1 or even have ranking to get to the main draw, they will retire where they feel comfortable, usually the tournament they always loved to play (and win) or just fade away like some former pros after a couple of first round loses and never having an official retirement date

Federer: Basel
Nadal: RG
Murray: wimbledon (if he wins it) USO then
Djokovic: No clue

The questions are
Will they need a wildcard to play their retirement tournaments?
or retire when they still have a decent ranking?

joeri888
10-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Hewitt, AO 2013?