PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Parquet Courts

TTMR
10-24-2012, 06:49 PM
I'd love to see at least one tournament, even if minor, played on parquet (or hardwood, if necessary). Given that carpet courts were prohibited due to their higher rate of user injury, parquet would be a great substitute. Wood courts would presumably be easier to slide and change directions on than either hard court or grass, and obviously easier than on carpet. Not only does parquet play fast, it looks beautiful and would be a singularly distinct surface, as distinct and individual as each of the other three. The speed of the surface could be adjusted according to the type of sealant used.

Perhaps the aforementioned is a childish fantasy, but it is one I would consider realizing if I ever became a billionaire.

Who would dominate a parquet season?

kishnabe
10-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Federer if fast and the ball bounces low.

Nadal if slow and the ball bounces high.

Djokovic if medium and ball bounces midheight.

NLBwell
10-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Have you actually ever played on a wood floor? It makes the fastest grass seem like a mud puddle. You almost can't hit a groundstroke at all.

TTMR
10-25-2012, 03:20 AM
Have you actually ever played on a wood floor? It makes the fastest grass seem like a mud puddle. You almost can't hit a groundstroke at all.

Yes, it is fast, but the floor can be treated and coated. I don't think they really considered the speed of surfaces in the old days. Your local gym with a wood floor is likely only setting up a temporary court; they also do not care about (and are probably not even knowledgeable of) court speeds.

SStrikerR
10-25-2012, 03:28 AM

Yeah I once played on a matted gym floor, and the ball bounced so low and so fast. If you stood on the baseline, a deep shot would be even more difficult to hit cleanly than usual, and if you stood deep a shorter ball would force you to scramble just to get it.

I can imagine hard wood would probably be worse. Let's go serve and volley.

Gorecki
10-25-2012, 03:32 AM
I'd love to see at least one tournament, even if minor, played on parquet (or hardwood, if necessary). Given that carpet courts were prohibited due to their higher rate of user injury, parquet would be a great substitute. Wood courts would presumably be easier to slide and change directions on than either hard court or grass, and obviously easier than on carpet. Not only does parquet play fast, it looks beautiful and would be a singularly distinct surface, as distinct and individual as each of the other three. The speed of the surface could be adjusted according to the type of sealant used.

Perhaps the aforementioned is a childish fantasy, but it is one I would consider realizing if I ever became a billionaire.

Who would dominate a parquet season?

can you percentage that please?

TTMR
10-25-2012, 03:42 AM
can you percentage that please?

I can't, but it seemed to be a consensus among players, including your beloved Federer, who lobbied for its abolition.

Steve0904
10-25-2012, 05:16 AM
I can't, but it seemed to be a consensus among players, including your beloved Federer, who lobbied for its abolition.

Gorecki was just asking a question. No need to get jealous now.

TheFifthSet
10-25-2012, 07:09 AM

Gorecki isn't a ******* lol, don't get ahead of yourself :p

TTMR
10-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Gorecki isn't a ******* lol, don't get ahead of yourself :p

I apologize to Gorecki then for my error. Even if he was one, there was no justification for my remark.

Nevertheless, the ostensible reason for the abolition of carpet courts was player injury. I guess the high friction of the surface made rolling an ankle much more likely than on other courts. The players council lobbied for their elimination. I cannot cite sources, this is all hearsay I've read from TW and was probably picked up by members here from players and TV commentators.

Carpet should have been replaced in at least one tournament by parquet. Even if the top players don't like it (no doubt about that), let lower level players who need the money and ranking points do battle on this unique surface. The tournament could market itself on this distinction, too, playing on its key difference from the litany of run-of-the-mill indoor hard court tennis events.

dimeaxe
10-25-2012, 02:19 PM
You forgot to say, highly polished!:mrgreen:

1972murat
10-25-2012, 04:14 PM

So true...I played only once and that was it. Everything I hit was ankle height, slices did not even bounce and I was late for everything. It is not for tennis, that's for sure...

TTMR
10-25-2012, 05:04 PM
I also would not object to a Delhi Open or Mumbai Open played on traditional compacted cow dung tennis courts.

TTMR
10-25-2012, 06:21 PM
So true...I played only once and that was it. Everything I hit was ankle height, slices did not even bounce and I was late for everything. It is not for tennis, that's for sure...

Bear in mind that the tournament could use a large, very bouncy ball which would offset the speed of the court without fully negating it.

Gorecki
10-29-2012, 02:54 PM
I apologize to Gorecki then for my error. Even if he was one, there was no justification for my remark.

Nevertheless, the ostensible reason for the abolition of carpet courts was player injury. I guess the high friction of the surface made rolling an ankle much more likely than on other courts. The players council lobbied for their elimination. I cannot cite sources, this is all hearsay I've read from TW and was probably picked up by members here from players and TV commentators.

Carpet should have been replaced in at least one tournament by parquet. Even if the top players don't like it (no doubt about that), let lower level players who need the money and ranking points do battle on this unique surface. The tournament could market itself on this distinction, too, playing on its key difference from the litany of run-of-the-mill indoor hard court tennis events.

despite your reaction, wich was normally heated, i still think you are just posting for the sake of it. there never was and there is no such thing as a proof that carpet was unsafe. it was lobbied out indeed but the injury issue (if there ever was one)was just pure shenenigans. if anything there is a large sample of clay injuries, so if we judge by FACTS alone, clay would be the unsafest of the surfaces... but since i have no evidence of that, i rather not post things as universal unquestionable truths (such as yours) at the cost of sounding like a smart arse!!!!

Sabratha
10-31-2012, 07:31 AM
I don't know if wooden courts are such a good idea. It would bounce too low and would be extremely hard to return, for anybody.

marpiw
10-31-2012, 09:28 AM

Who would dominate a parquet season?BOOOO!!!!What an old surface!!!!Players should also play with white long trousers and white sweaters?...and ladies with long tabloid skirts?...Please update your thoughts.Time has evolved for some reason.We are not living in the past century...

ATP100
10-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Side note: Wood is the surface that Connors learned on.

MethodTennis
10-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Carpet should be introduced at an event, 250 points, same time as another 500 event, keep it small while allowing anyone that likes the stuff to play on it. Wouldnt mind a parquet event in a similar fashion, its not fair to limit the surfaces available based on what the top 10 players want.

gavna
11-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Anyone wanting to play tennis at any level on a wood court has never played on a wood court.......freaking horrible. We had indoor tennis at my HS in New York so in the winter we could have practice with 3 tennis courts set up over the parquet - it was so sucky we would ways end up do golly and net drills as any baseline work was a real waste of time. Also heavy varnish would make it the stickiest surface ever - way to easy to blow outa knee or ankle -

As for carpet many many events that had used the indoor carpet laid it over the cement subflooring not over the existing wood court. Way way back in the 40s and 50s they played right on the wood (read Kramers and Pancho's books about those days playing on the crappy lighting fast wood)....but the major indoor events from the 70s thru 80s they would remove the basketball court (takes just a few hours in most arenas) and they would lay the carpet right over cement.

pound cat
11-01-2012, 04:14 AM
I have never heard of parquet used as a surface for playing tennis. It is, however popular (or used to be) as a domestic floor before hardwood became the norm.

How about this parquet flooring pattern to play tennis on?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTwOkQtsXXH7T7r40C1yTM_YS9mIkk2 MrTch_qk7FStyQfLphLlg

The one on the right would be great at Barclays

Sabratha
11-01-2012, 04:51 AM
Playing tennis on a wooden surface would actually cause as much injury as carpet did.