PDA

View Full Version : The '5th' grand slam

safc_number10
10-25-2012, 04:26 AM
Has the idea of a 5th grand slam ever been suggested?

There are hundreds of smaller pro tournaments around the world but all the excitement is focused on the slams and to a lesser extent the atp/wta finals. TV viewing/revenue ets for any of the slams must dwarf the other tournaments.

My suggestion would be a 5th slam in possibly Japan, China or Korea. This obviously would require revamping the tennis calendar. There is a decent gap between the AO and the FO - maybe it could be then.

Some questions that might need to be addressed:

What surface could it be played on?
Would it be able generate the same level of interest?
What would be the pros/cons?

It's an interesting though/discussion point at least and I'll be interested in what people have to say.

safc_number10
10-25-2012, 04:27 AM
Where would you hold it? Could it move every so often?
How about indoor?

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-25-2012, 04:37 AM
I don't think there's enough room, and even if there was I would rather expand the grass season.

TheNatural
10-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Monte Carlo is the 8th slams. Nadal is on 19 slams and counting.

Steve0904
10-25-2012, 05:11 AM
The tennis season is overloaded as it is. The YEC is close enough although it is not technically a slam.

jaggy
10-25-2012, 05:14 AM
NYC deserves one, maybe just after Cincy?

zam88
10-25-2012, 05:17 AM
i hope they don't ever change it.

otherwise you'll have records falling just because of the changes in format.

kind of like when baseball went from 154 to 162 games.

ultimately it's ideas like this that make it nearly impossible to compare eras between players.

I mean, it makes Borg's 11 and McEnroe's 8 slams more impressive when you factor in that at that time there were really only 3 widely participated in grand slams.

PCXL-Fan
10-25-2012, 05:37 AM
NYC deserves one, maybe just after Cincy?
Nah, that would be like giving a slam to the Dutch. The Dutch may have given us interesting doors but thats about it.

The Real Slam in the 1st Real American city.

From Wikipedia:
In the early 19th century, Cincinnati was the first American boomtown in the heart of the country to rival the larger coastal cities in size and wealth. As the first major inland city in the country, it is sometimes thought of as the first purely American city. It developed initially without as much recent European immigration or influence as took place in eastern cities.

augustobt
10-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Another Clay tournament in Brazil or Argentina. Or some grass tournament in South Africa.

Bartelby
10-25-2012, 05:43 AM
The fifth slam is the one that takes place in your mind when you contemplate who really is the GOAT?

PCXL-Fan
10-25-2012, 05:50 AM
In an increasingly computer based cyber world, the 5th slam should take place in a realistic videogame. Say Virtual Tennis 7 for the iphone.

Perhaps one of the TT readers with exquisite tennis knowledge and a virtual 105" racquet could win it.

tacou
10-25-2012, 05:57 AM
why not 12 slams? one every month. and nothing else

flyinghippos101
10-25-2012, 06:02 AM
We already have a fifth slam. Can't these threads die already?

Gorecki
10-25-2012, 06:20 AM
who put the slam in the slamadamadingdong?

SQA333
10-25-2012, 06:28 AM
I'm thinking they should hold a 5th slam in south-west London, preferably on a grass court, at a complex with at least 1 stadium with a retractable roof. A fantastic facility which would be excellent for such a tennis showcase.

Either that, or the following:
1) Somewhere in the Eastern United States, preferably on a fast hard court (which may be green or blue), with the largest stadium in the world. NO ROOFS ALLOWED!

2) Somewhere in Victoria, Australia, preferably on a hard court (THIS TIME IT MUST BE BLUE). Must have a few stadia with retractable roofs.

3) Somewhere in southern Europe - maybe France or Portugal. MUST be on RED clay (not blue - Europe isn't into smurfs), and MUST NOT have any roof on its stadia.

NB: Each facility must have racquet stringers; if not, the respective cities' bids will be assessed to see if they should be forfeited.

tennisplayer1993
10-25-2012, 06:31 AM
Has the idea of a 5th grand slam ever been suggested?

There are hundreds of smaller pro tournaments around the world but all the excitement is focused on the slams and to a lesser extent the atp/wta finals. TV viewing/revenue ets for any of the slams must dwarf the other tournaments.

My suggestion would be a 5th slam in possibly Japan, China or Korea. This obviously would require revamping the tennis calendar. There is a decent gap between the AO and the FO - maybe it could be then.

Some questions that might need to be addressed:

What surface could it be played on?
Would it be able generate the same level of interest?
What would be the pros/cons?

It's an interesting though/discussion point at least and I'll be interested in what people have to say.

I think the Olympics should be considered a 5 th slam despite being every 4 years

McEnroeisanartist
10-25-2012, 06:56 AM
the fifth slam is the ATP Tour World Finals which Roger Federer has remarkably won a record 6 times.

RF20Lennon
10-25-2012, 07:00 AM
the fifth slam is the ATP Tour World Finals which Roger Federer has remarkably won a record 6 times.

Agreed!!!!!

Gonzo_style
10-25-2012, 07:05 AM

That exhibition tournament? Really?

Steve0904
10-25-2012, 07:08 AM

No, an exho is what Nadal will be playing if he comes back in Abu Dhabi.

Gonzo_style
10-25-2012, 07:11 AM
No, an exho is what Nadal will be playing if he comes back in Abu Dhabi.

You're obsessed with Nadal.

Steve0904
10-25-2012, 07:12 AM
You're obsessed with Nadal.

So are you apparently.

Gonzo_style
10-25-2012, 07:28 AM
So are you apparently.

Search: Key Word: Nadal
Posts made by : Steve0904
Showing results 1 to 30 of 94/210
Search took 5.04 seconds

Steve0904
10-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Search: Key Word: Nadal
Posts made by : Steve0904
Showing results 1 to 30 of 94/210
Search took 5.04 seconds

Well you took more time to search it than I did to type it.

Gonzo_style
10-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Well you took more time to search it than I did to type it.

What would have happened if Nadal is currently playing?

Steve0904
10-25-2012, 07:42 AM

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I can be sure that you wouldn't be calling the WTF an exhibition tournament if he was, or if he had won there as of today. After all your boy Gonzalez beat Fed there once. You wouldn't want to take away his only legitimate win would you?

Gonzo_style
10-25-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I can be sure that you wouldn't be calling the WTF an exhibition tournament if he was, or if he had won there as of today. After all your boy Gonzalez beat Fed there once. You wouldn't want to take away his only legitimate win would you?

I don't know did you watched the match, but Fernando was playing great, his backhand was functioning perfectly, why would someone took that victory from him?

jokinla
10-25-2012, 08:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO8H7bq4iL4

McEnroeisanartist
10-25-2012, 08:54 AM

Interesting that I assume you are a gonzo lover and yet the only time Gonzalez beat Federer in 13 matches was at this tournament in 2007. Gonzalez played very well in that match, not sure what the hell happened to him the next two matches.

McEnroeisanartist
10-25-2012, 08:55 AM
I don't know did you watched the match, but Fernando was playing great, his backhand was functioning perfectly, why would someone took that victory from him?

Because you said this tournament, which is the fifth biggest tennis tournament, is an exhibition. Well earned victory by Fernando in a huge tournament.

Gonzo_style
10-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Because you said this tournament, which is the fifth biggest tennis tournament, is an exhibition. Well earned victory by Fernando in a huge tournament.

Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit as I called it exhibition, but the players are really very tired at the end of the year, and has a lot of witdraws almost every year!

McEnroeisanartist
10-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit as I called it exhibition, but the players are really very tired at the end of the year, and has a lot of witdraws almost every year!

Because they are unfit? Unmotivated? Lazy? Poor technique? How come, Federer seems to rise above and perform really well at the tournament.

Gonzo_style
10-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Because they are unfit? Unmotivated? Lazy? Poor technique? How come, Federer seems to rise above and perform really well at the tournament.

How many times nobody witdraws from WTFs/TMC? You're good in statistics!

TMF
10-25-2012, 09:21 AM
It's a dream to play at the O2 because only 8 can qualify. WTF is the true test of one's greatness. They are the top 8 players and there's no easy match. True warriors will stand and battle to the end. Unlike players who's weak, injured, too tired are not man enough to challenge. This is where we separate the men from the boys.

TMF
10-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Like I said, this is where we separate the men from the boys. And Nadal is still a boy!

sunof tennis
10-25-2012, 09:32 AM
It's a dream to play at the O2 because only 8 can qualify. WTF is the true test of one's greatness. They are the top 8 players and there's no easy match. True warriors will stand and battle to the end. Unlike players who's weak, injured, too tired are not man enough to challenge. This is where we separate the men from the boys.

Never been to the O2 arena but it looks like a great place to watch tennis.
I agree that it is unfortunate that we have withdrawals from the WTF every year. Can't help but think that the slowing of the courts and the resulting grindfests are contributing to this problem.

The-Champ
10-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Like I said, this is where we separate the men from the boys. And Nadal is still a boy!

So Fed lost 18 times to a boy?

August
10-25-2012, 09:57 AM
No need for 5th slam. Four is good, that's how it's been, and four is a good number, five wouldn't maybe be too much so that it'd dilute the prestige of slams. But already winning all four slams in a year is very difficult, winning five slams a year would be already too difficult.

But if there were a 5th slam, it should be on traditional indoor conditions, i.e. fast indoor hardcourt/carpet. That's because we already have one slam on grass and clay and two slams on hardcourts. But we already have a big tournament on indoor courts, YECs on ATP and WTA tours. I'd just love them to be on more traditional, i.e. faster, indoor surface. Maybe giving 2000 points from them would make them more important for players, yet that'd give too much advantage in rankings for the previous season's year-end top8.

SQA333
10-25-2012, 10:46 AM

Umm... Only once in the past 3 years has there been a withdrawal. Just face it, nobody from this generation except federer and djokovic has won this event. This doesn't make it an exo. In fact Monte Carlo should be an exo since it is non mandatory and barely any top players attend it. Except Nadal, which is why they should call it an exo and strip the winner of all ranking points. In fact nadal should be stripped of all his ranking points if he wins a match, and he should be given negative ranking points if he wins a slam. And double negative ranking points if he wins the French.

Gonzo_style
10-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Umm... Only once in the past 3 years has there been a withdrawal.

Umm... Roddick in 2009 and Murray in 2011! I'm not particularly good mathematician, but I think it's twice! :)

beast of mallorca
10-25-2012, 12:26 PM
So Fed lost 18 times to a boy?

Is that because he's a girly pants ......:twisted:

Towser83
10-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Monte Carlo is the 8th slams. Nadal is on 19 slams and counting.

what are slams 5, 6, and 7? lemme guess, Rome, Barca and DC :lol:

who put the slam in the slamadamadingdong?

lol best response yet

you are exaggerating a bit yes. Because last time I looked an undefeated winner gets 1500 points, the most points after a slam. So it's not the 5th slam but it's next biggest after the 4 slams. Also MC has had either Fed or Djokovic withdraw for the past few years, does it make that Nadal's exhibition tournament? Also the WTF is the last big tournament of the year, players should find a way to be fit for it.

Never been to the O2 arena but it looks like a great place to watch tennis.
I agree that it is unfortunate that we have withdrawals from the WTF every year. Can't help but think that the slowing of the courts and the resulting grindfests are contributing to this problem.

This. If the tour was structured better and not slow all year around, maybe players would be in better shape.

timnz
10-25-2012, 03:18 PM

Yeah the exhibition tournament that has been running for over 40 years with only the top 8, where those top 8 players say that it is the most important event after the slams.

timnz
10-25-2012, 03:20 PM
In the late 80's Miami was being talked about as the 5th slam. All the matches were 5 set affairs (in all rounds). Kind of equivalent to the players championship in Golf.

Federer20042006
10-25-2012, 05:49 PM
If there were 5 slams, it wouldn't be a "Grand Slam" anymore. Grand Slam = 4.

Federer20042006
10-25-2012, 06:01 PM
How many times did Pete Sampras withdraw from the YEC?

Nobody ever wants to withdraw from the YEC. It's an honor to even qualify. But, as with any tournament, if you are injured, you may have to pull out. It happens plenty at the masters, and it even happens at the slams.

Did Nadal pulling out of Wimbledon in 2009 and the US Open this year signal that those are exhibition tournaments?

Netspirit
10-25-2012, 06:22 PM
4 slams + tour finals is enough.

If you think about it, all slams are relatively boring until the second week where it gets really spicy, so tennis (as a show) will not benefit much from another tournament with 128 participants.

veroniquem
10-25-2012, 07:38 PM
4 is enough. 1 per season that's the perfect number.

MethodTennis
07-12-2013, 04:13 PM
I think that this is of great relevenance and is a completely unique discussion which should be continued in similar fasion to other unique discussions being had on here

Kirijax
07-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Australian Open
French Open
Wimbledon
U.S. Open
World Tour Finals / WTA Tour Championships
Davis Cup / Federation Cup
Olympics

These are the titles most players play for. Do we really need a 5th? At least we aren't like golf where 3 of 4 major titles are in the same country.

Incognito
07-12-2013, 04:29 PM
In the 90s, Miami was considered the 5th slam...

widmerpool
07-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Key Biscayne and Indian Wells feel like minor majors.

No reason to add a 5th.

Sabratha
07-12-2013, 05:52 PM
5 is too many...

mightyrick
07-12-2013, 06:10 PM
The YEC was always considered to be nearly equal to the other major tournaments... Wimbledon, USO, etc. It has always paid well, it has had a big draw, big sponsorship. In past years, the performance in the YEC went a long way towards determining who the best player of the year was.

Sorana fan
07-12-2013, 06:21 PM
No such thing as 5th slam.

Respect tradition.

Sorana fan
07-12-2013, 06:25 PM
The YEC was always considered to be nearly equal to the other major tournaments... Wimbledon, USO, etc. It has always paid well, it has had a big draw, big sponsorship. In past years, the performance in the YEC went a long way towards determining who the best player of the year was.

London exho is a friendly low-quality rip off for public. I was there last year and can tell bout it