PDA

View Full Version : Laserfiber, Gamma or Alpha?

bravm3pwr
02-25-2004, 05:46 AM
Iím looking at 3 stringing machines:

1. Laserfiber ECO with fixed clamps.
2. Alpha Revo4000.
3. Gamma Progression ST II.

I use to string on a Gamma Progression 602 FC so I'm quite familiar with the Gamma machine. The Laserfiber is kind of pricey and Iím not familiar with the Alpha. If anyone have experience with the above mention machine, please post the pros and cons of each machine?

Thanks

HT
02-25-2004, 09:42 AM
I'm also looking at the Laserfibre ECO. Not sure if I want floating or fixed clamps. You're right, they are extremely pricey! I was told that the Alpha are very well made. My alternative is to get the Alpha Pioneer DC, but still undecided.

Audiodude
02-25-2004, 10:05 AM
I owned an STII for about a year and loved it. I replaced it with a 5003. The new all metal clamps are the best I've ever used. If you don't need a floor standing machine, I think the STII is the best deal going right now.

Gaines Hillix
02-25-2004, 12:02 PM
bravm, email me at ghillix@comcast.net and I'll reply with a direct contact for you at Alpha. I think it's best to talk to them directly too. I've been an Alpha owner for several years and have had very good customer support from them. Nothing has ever broken, but they always are happy to answer any questions I have.

Add_In
02-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Can speak for the other two companies but Alpha's quality customer service is superb.

prince
02-25-2004, 06:13 PM
the MS eco has gone up in price i think - started this january .

from what i have read around here and the old board - all three are solid and u cant go wrong with any of them.

bravm3pwr
02-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all the reply. Iím intrigue by the Laserfibre ECO. From what I have heard, the technology behind it allows it to string more consistence tension than the other. But the $599 price for the ECO is hard to swallow for a low end of Laserfibre line.

Does the Gamma or the Alpha crank mechanism requires periodic calibration to stay accurate?

Thanks again.

topspin
02-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Yeah I think all 3 are solid based on what I know. I have the ms200tt and got it a few years ago almost for the price of the eco now. These machines seem to go up in value. Tim Sullivan had told me that if I ever wanted to sell my machine it would lose little value, and he was absolutely right.

Ok so all 3 are good choices and you get what you pay for. Each has it's own characteristics and you just have to decide which ones are important for you. For example do you want constant pull? etc

Incidently, Alpha does have good support based on what Tim Sullivan told me. Not sure about Gamma but they should be good too. Eagnas is really the only one that gets constant complaints on here.

matchpoints
02-27-2004, 06:49 PM
AUDIODUDE,

Do you have any pics of your Gamma 5003?

How do you like that mounting system?

Thanks

ps Why aren't PM's enabled!!!!!!?!!????????!! :evil:

Audiodude
02-29-2004, 06:08 AM
I don't have pictures. I could take a few, if there was something specific you wanted to see.

Gaines Hillix
02-29-2004, 09:25 AM
bravm3pwr, any spring tension(lockout/crank) machine can require periodic recalibration. Some electronic machines also require it. Most drop weight machines shouldn't need it. Not sure if there's anything in the special mechanism that the Laserfibre machines use that might needed to be adjusted.

Loud
02-29-2004, 11:40 AM
I believe the Laserfibres are maintenance free.

matchpoints
02-29-2004, 07:45 PM
AUDIODUDE,
I'd like to see a pic from the bottom of the base clamp. I want to see how it locks to the unit.

Do you ever have any problems with the base moving after clamping?

Also, I was reading the manual online for the 5003. Seems like a lot of steps to mount the frame. I sometimes use my friends Ektelon (same as Prince Neos), and the mounting is a breeze and seems very secure for a 2 point mount. I'd keep using his except he's a pain to get a hold of.

Audiodude
02-29-2004, 08:21 PM
It takes less than a minute to mount a frame. It is extremely secure. I can't imagine a better mounting system, although I realize there's more than one way to skin a cat. I'll take a few pics for you tomorrow. It's midnight and I just got in from playing 3 sets of singles and drilling for a half an hour. I'm knocking back some merlot in hope of getting a little sleep. What's your e mail address for the pics.

matchpoints
03-01-2004, 06:29 PM
matchpoints at yahooooooo would work as e-mail.

I'll upload them to my server in case anyone else wants to see them.

In all seriousness, what's up with manufcaturer's websites and LITTLE BITTY pics that don't show anything.

Progressive10s
03-07-2004, 04:10 AM
The Alpha that you mentioned is a crank machine. The Alpha Pioneer DC would be a fairer comparison since it is a drop weight like the Gamma and the Lasrefibre.

bravm3pwr
03-07-2004, 08:27 AM
Actually the Gamma ST II and the Revo4000 are crank system, the ECO is a drop weight but not like the traditional drop weight. I believe it will tension correctly at any angle and is a constant pull machine.

I was set on the Revo4000 but it will not be available until mid April, so I went with the Laserfibre MS200TT. This is also a drop weight machine but I have heard so much good things about it and Tim Sullivan is about as good as customer support gets. I called him 3 times, taking almost 1 hour per call. He was never short or abrupt even though Iíve re-hashed the same questions many times. Mark Gonzales at Alpha was also very helpful.

I ruled out the Gamma machine because I cannot determine if the ST II came with metal or plastic clamps. I got 2 different stories from 2 different vendors. ATS said that they are all metal, and a very un-helpful Mid-West tech said they were plastics. Also they will not have the machine in stock until mid April.

I used to string on a Gamma 602FC and just got tired of trying to get the drop weight bar to stay horizontal. I canít wait for the TT to arrive.

prince
03-07-2004, 09:23 AM
bravm3pwr,

let us know later on how you feel about the MS200TT.

i just started stringing and have a MS200TT as my first machine - 15 string jobs in 2 months now and slowly getting some return of investment .

i have to ask friends who i string for what machine their racquets were strung in as this MS200TT constant pull strings a lot tighter - or true tension is done compared to crank machines .

drop shot
03-08-2004, 10:08 PM
How is the laserfiber in terms of time? Is it quicker to string on than a traditional dropweight?

Loud
03-09-2004, 03:02 AM
The Laserfibre is quicker...no need to get the weight to stop at the horizontal position.

Gary Britt
04-10-2004, 07:46 AM
[quote="bravm3pwr"]I ruled out the Gamma machine because I cannot determine if the ST II came with metal or plastic clamps.

The Gamma has NEVER had plastic clamps. They have always had Metal stems, dual spring action, and previously had a composite material (like Tennis Racquets are made out of stronger than steel kind of thing) diamond dusted tips. Newer versions of the clamps have metal diamond dusted tips.

Cheers,

Gary

rich s
04-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Gary Britt ?!?!?!? Yeah right, who are you and what did you do with the real Gary?

rich scotto

Gary Britt
04-23-2004, 07:10 PM
[quote="rich s"]Gary Britt ?!?!?!? Yeah right, who are you and what did you do with the real Gary?

Hey Rich, how you doing? Its been too long. I really miss playing ALTA with you guys. I tried to go to the team website the other day, and couldn't find it any longer. Did the old team breakup? No longer playing out of Kennworth?

Hope things are going well for you and the family.

Gary

chang10is
04-24-2004, 09:37 PM
My vote would be for the Alpha Revo. It's hard to compare a drop-weight machine to a high-quality crank stringer. Some people say that Laserfibre drop-weight machines are just as fast as crank machines, but I've heard that the Revo is extremely good. In the end, you're really talking about 2 different classes of machines, and the Revo should have a better resale value. I think it might be hard to resell a drop-weight machine at a value close to the original purchase price when it was bought at $600. I don't know about Gamma's customer support, but Laserfibre's and Alpha's are both extremely good.

topspin
04-25-2004, 01:39 AM
Chang, you are way off here, sorry. The Laserfibre system is very quick and easy to use and proven as fast if not faster than manual crank machines. More importantly than speed, the tension is accurate and consistent and exactly the same as you would get from a Babolat or any other solid constant pull machine. The resale value of the Laserfibre is higher than any Alpha machine. The reason is the construction: very little plastic parts. Most are made of tempered steel & cast aluminum. Also, the price of new machines keeps going up. So I can easily sell my 2000 machine for the same price I bought it. In fact, there is a waiting list of people looking to buy used machines. Alpha machines are good too, but in no way can you say they are in a higher class (if that's what you meant by "different class").

chang10is
04-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Topspin, I think you misunderstood how I was using the word "class." What I meant is that drop weight and crank machines make up a different classes of machines. Most people would pay more for a used $600 crank machine than a used $600 drop-weight machine. If you want to make generalizations about resale value, it is extremely important to consider the niche that a product fills. Even though almost everyone on this forum agrees that Eagnas machines are horrible, the fact is that a low-end crank Eagnas will resell at a higher percentage of its original value than a high-end drop-weight machine, whether it is made by Laserfibre, Alpha, or Gamma. Just check **** if you don't believe me. I saw an Eagnas Flex 940 sell for $425 a few weeks ago, and a new one would cost only $440. It's hard for me to imagine a $600 drop-weight machine selling for $580, 96.7% of its original value. The same rule applies to real estate--investors know that it is much better to buy the cheapest (smallest, most run-down) house in a neighborhood than the most expensive house if they want to make money on their investment. So you can't say that all Laserfibre machines will resell closer to their original value than any machine made by brand "X" without considering where that machine falls within its category.

In terms of stringing speed, I did concede that the Laserfibre system is fast. If having a constant-pull is important to the buyer, then perhaps he'll choose the drop-weight over the crank. I personally would choose the crank machine and just pre-stretch the string and bump up the tension a little. Not all machines increase in price over time (although I'd agree that most probably do, albeit at a slow rate). A retailer told me that the Revo has dropped $200 in the last year, and the person I bought my ATS-SS2 told me that the machine dropped 10% since he bought it 18 months ago. If you can sell your 4-year-old stringer at the same price you paid, then you're lucky. I have been checking **** literally every day for the past 3 months, and the only machines I have seen sell at close to their original value (90%+) are the low-end drop-weight and low-end crank machines.

topspin
04-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Where am I making generalizations about resale value? The fact that Laserfibre's resell for high is a verifiable fact. And this is because the Laserfibre drop weights are in a class of their own since they operate differently than standard drop weights. That's something to keep in mind.

Simbah2004
04-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Guys, I am buying a stringing machine and I will either get a Laserfibre Eco with fixed clamps or Alpha Revo 4000. Can you comment no pluses and minuses of each of these models? Thanks.