PDA

View Full Version : Federer's reduced compulsory tournament load next year

timnz
10-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Just wondering if anyone knew the details about this. Apparently starting in the year you are 31 on Jan. 1st you have less compulsory events you have to compete in.

I think it is a very good idea. It encourages the older guys to keep competing. Plus they have earned it after such long careers.

smoledman
10-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Starting in 2013, Federer can skip all Masters 1000 events. He still has to play the slams and a certain # of 500s.

I predict he uses this rule to skip - Miami, Monte Carlo, Rome, Canada, Shanghai & Paris.

Steve0904
10-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Just wondering if anyone knew the details about this. Apparently starting in the year you are 31 on Jan. 1st you have less compulsory events you have to compete in.

I think it is a very good idea. It encourages the older guys to keep competing. Plus they have earned it after such long careers.

I've heard him say in a youtube video that he piled the events on this year to try to get to #1, but that he would probably reduce them next year. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9clWhyKYQY

He talks about his playing schedule, and references his plans for next year around the 2:20 mark.

Federer20042006
10-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Starting in 2013, Federer can skip all Masters 1000 events. He still has to play the slams and a certain # of 500s.

I predict he uses this rule to skip - Miami, Monte Carlo, Rome, Canada, Shanghai & Paris.

That's a bit much. There's no way he'd spread himself that thin...he wants to be playing well when the slams arrive.

I doubt it changes much for him. He'll skip 2-3 of the events he played this year, but I doubt it'll be anything more than that.

augustobt
10-25-2012, 07:24 PM

I don't see Fed skiping Miami. And that's not very clever, as this year he got eliminated in R3, next year he can seriously improve by reaching at least an semi-final.

veroniquem
10-25-2012, 08:33 PM

He's not gonna skip that many masters. His ranking would crash.

smoledman
10-25-2012, 08:39 PM

Wouldn't that be nice for you?

Russeljones
10-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Didn't know that thanks. I think it's a great idea. Maybe it should begin at 30? Either way, it's a nifty provision.

Netspirit
10-25-2012, 11:04 PM

Vero has trained herself to hate the look of the elephant, the smell of the elephant and the sound the elephant makes. However, she obviously can see that it is, in fact, an elephant, and acknowledge the humongous size of Federer's career and his impact on tennis. One has to be blind, or in deep denial, not to see it.

Also helps the fact that Nadal and Toni often use Federer as their benchmark, and the fact that Nadal's career falls entirely within Federer's era which gives additional weight to Nadal's accomplishments if one assumes that Federer knows his tennis.

Russeljones
10-25-2012, 11:09 PM
the fact that Nadal's career falls entirely within Federer's era which gives additional weight to Nadal's accomplishments if one assumes that Federer knows his tennis.

And this made sense to you?

Tennis_Hands
10-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Federer is preparing to let the "young" guns kill each other next year. After that it will be his turn to reclaim the number 1 position once again.

:shock:

underground
10-26-2012, 03:57 AM
He definitely wouldn't withdraw from Miami, he can pick up free points there next year. He wouldn't skip Toronto for the same reason.

He would skip Shanghai definitely, possibly Rome? To keep himself fresh and prepared for the FO.

augustobt
10-26-2012, 04:09 AM
apart from Miami, Federer has reached at least semi-final in every master's. I don't think that pulling off Shangai is a very good idea.

Carsomyr
10-26-2012, 04:19 AM

Absolute free reign over his MS schedule would definitely help him in the tournaments he wants to play and win, particularly the majors. I don't think he cares if his ranking sinks below 3 or so now that he owns the #1 record, as long as his aging frame is fresh for the big tournaments. I can see him skipping four, possibly five of the Masters, and playing a 13-14 tournament schedule next year.

Romismak
10-26-2012, 04:24 AM
Why can Roger skip M1000 events? what is the rule there?

If so than good for him - don´t think his ranking would suffer, he will end up top 4 in 2013 if healthy i am confident - less tournaments should be just better with him more healthy and bettere prepared - if skipping Masters than Paris is 100% sure, i think one of IW-Miami would be good to skip and than Shanghai of course - i think Roger playing slams + one of IW-Miami, Madrid,summer HC Masters + 500s - Basel,Dubai would get him enough points to be 4th at least and be healthy, not exhausted and so on.

Romismak
10-26-2012, 04:27 AM

Tell me please why he can skip Masters? what rule is there he can do it? thanks

BTW agree with you, but i think Canada he will play

Romismak
10-26-2012, 04:30 AM

No won´t he will be top 4 and by seedings there is not much difference in top 4 right now i mean if you are No.1 or No.4 - btw ranking i think won´t be issue for Roger in 2013, he got weeks No.1 record and he knows if 2012 he can´t finish YE No.1 than his chance in 2013 is almost 0, so he doesn´t need to go for No.1, and being No.2-No.4 for seeding is really not important-skipping many MAsters and playing just slams, WTF, few Masters and probably Dubai+BAsel+Halle wold mean he should be healthy and not tired like this year - this year he played to many matches, because he wanted to go for No.1 i think - for example going to Rotterdam was surpsing but it paid off in longer term and he did it now he can skip and rest and have limited season

Carsomyr
10-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Tell me please why he can skip Masters? what rule is there he can do it? thanks

BTW agree with you, but i think Canada he will play
1.08 Reduction of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Commitment

A. A player’s number of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment tournaments shall be reduced by one (1) tournament for reaching each of the following milestones:
1) 600 matches* (as of 1 January of the commitment year);
2) 12 years of service;
3) 31 years of age (as of 1 January of the commitment year

zagor
10-26-2012, 05:04 AM

Now, now LOLville, Vero's dislike (or hatred if you prefer) for Fed absolutely pales in comparison to yours and atleast she isn't hiding behind a dozen of handles, she's a straight shooter.

MasturB
10-26-2012, 05:48 AM

I don't think he'll skip Miami because he has points to gain.

Monte Carlo is interesting because he's never won there, and he's done pretty well there before. Rome is interesting because it plays a little faster than Monte Carlo, so I don't know if he'd like that as a tune up for Roland Garros since Madrid is usually a faster clay surface.

Canada is another interesting one. I know Federer has done well historically in Cincy, but I wonder if Fed would rather play a week early in Canada and take 2 weeks off to prep for the Open as opposed to one week. He probably enjoys visiting Montreal/Toronto more than Cincinnati even though he plays better in Cincy.

Shanghai I can see him showing up but not going balls to wall. Perhaps show up for the hospitality and PR and any wins that come with that is gravy. Bercy I think he'll probably skip to keep playing Basel and WTF.

Gonzo_style
10-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Federer is preparing to let the "young" guns kill each other next year. After that it will be his turn to reclaim the number 1 position once again.

:shock:

Yeah he would let young guns kill each other and reclaim #1 in 2014!

merlinpinpin
10-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Why can Roger skip M1000 events? what is the rule there?

If so than good for him - don´t think his ranking would suffer, he will end up top 4 in 2013 if healthy i am confident - less tournaments should be just better with him more healthy and bettere prepared - if skipping Masters than Paris is 100% sure, i think one of IW-Miami would be good to skip and than Shanghai of course - i think Roger playing slams + one of IW-Miami, Madrid,summer HC Masters + 500s - Basel,Dubai would get him enough points to be 4th at least and be healthy, not exhausted and so on.

The rule is that you can skip 1 M1000 if you either:
- Have played 600 matches or more
- Have been playing for at least 12 years on the tour
- Are 31+ at the start of the year

Should you qualify for all three (which is the case with Federer), you can choose to play as many (or as few) M1000's as you like (even zero). And as the other tournaments are non-mandatory, you can basically play whenever you feel like it.

My guess is that he'll reduce his schedule only slightly as long as he can stay in the top 4 (or even fight for #1, let's see what the season finale brings), so he gets more favorable draws at majors. After that (if he keeps on playing), he'll probably target specific tournaments, and rankings be damned.

Edit: Just saw that he's confirmed that he'll be playing in Rotterdam next year, so that doesn't sound like he'll start taking long holidays from now on. He just loves tennis too much for that... ;)

TheFifthSet
10-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Now, now LOLville, Vero's dislike (or hatred if you prefer) for Fed absolutely pales in comparison to yours and atleast she isn't hiding behind a dozen of handles, she's a straight shooter.

Zag, no way this guy can be jackson_vile. He uses words such as relegate and is actually articulate. Jackson_vile is barely literate.

NineMileSkid
10-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Absolute free reign over his MS schedule would definitely help him in the tournaments he wants to play and win, particularly the majors. I don't think he cares if his ranking sinks below 3 or so now that he owns the #1 record, as long as his aging frame is fresh for the big tournaments. I can see him skipping four, possibly five of the Masters, and playing a 13-14 tournament schedule next year.

I have to agree. From here on out, it his to be all about peaking 4 times a year, regardless of what it does to his ranking.

Heck, if he has to run through two of either Nadal, Murray, and Djokovic to win a slam, it might be better to meet one of them in the quarters than in the semis.

kragster
10-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Zag, no way this guy can be jackson_vile. He uses words such as relegate and is actually articulate. Jackson_vile is barely literate.

Lol these days zag is paranoid about every poster being lolville, ive seen him call out quick a few folks who don't seem like him.

forzamilan90
10-27-2012, 11:45 AM
It's great that Fed will have the advantage of choosing which tournament to skip, a very welcome tactical addition to his schedule

timnz
10-27-2012, 04:00 PM
I have to agree. From here on out, it his to be all about peaking 4 times a year, regardless of what it does to his ranking.

Heck, if he has to run through two of either Nadal, Murray, and Djokovic to win a slam, it might be better to meet one of them in the quarters than in the semis.

Peak 5 times a year not 4 times (don't forget about the WTF)

RF20Lennon
10-27-2012, 04:04 PM
he'll skip MC for sure and maybe Shanghai or Paris

Sabratha
10-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Federer won't cut back too much.

PCXL-Fan
10-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Seeing as Ferrer is #5, all Fed has to do is stay ahead of Ferrer.

Vary the schedule depending on how his points are relative to Ferrers.

Sabratha
10-28-2012, 06:07 AM
Seeing as Ferrer is #5, all Fed has to do is stay ahead of Ferrer.

Vary the schedule depending on how his points are relative to Ferrers.
Would Federer really bother?

PCXL-Fan
10-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Would Federer really bother?

Perhaps not this year, 2014-2015 perhaps, but as the years progress, and Federer starts playing a Slam only (Serena) mentality he just might.

It really doesn't look like anyone is on the 1-2 year horizon that will dislodge Ferrer as #5 except Ferrer himself, but he's playing his best tennis of his career this year.

zagor
10-28-2012, 09:03 AM

He doesn't look that articulate to me and everyone can stumble upon a "complex" new word once in a awhile and start using it in his/her vocabulary.

I'm pretty sure Smoledman and Zarfot at the very least are JV's accounts.

Lol these days zag is paranoid about every poster being lolville, ive seen him call out quick a few folks who don't seem like him.

Not every poster really (though I do think he has numerous accounts here but of course he's not the only one) and I have my reasons for suspecting those posters I called out that according to you don't seem like him (some of the being supposed Fed fans).

Regardless, we're all free to believe what we want and things aren't always as they seem.

TheFifthSet
10-28-2012, 09:12 AM
He doesn't look that articulate to me and everyone can stumble upon a "complex" new word once in a awhile and start using it in his/her vocabulary.

Fair enough I suppose, although when I hear this guy say things like "retroactively nullify" I try to imagine that coming from JV, and it just doesn't register. Who knows though, I guess anybody could pull the wool over our eyes. :)

Sabratha
10-28-2012, 09:15 AM

Not every poster really (though I do think he has numerous accounts here but of course he's not the only one) and I have my reasons for suspecting those posters I called out that according to you don't seem like him (some of the being supposed Fed fans).

Regardless, we're all free to believe what we want and things aren't always as they seem.
I doubt it, Lolville was more stupid than he is.

joeri888
10-29-2012, 02:06 AM
I think Fed will play 12 to 14 tourneys

Qatar
AO
Rotterdam
Dubai
Indian wells
(Miami)
Madrid/Rome
RG
(Halle)