PDA

View Full Version : Roger adopting Nadal forehand?

nikdom
10-25-2012, 10:37 PM
I tried to search for an existing thread that may have discussed this, but has anyone noticed how Roger has incorporated the buggy-whip forehand ending over the head into his game? That is Nadal's trademark forehand. I've seen Roger use it on a few rare occasions going inside in DTL. Now it seems that Roger is using it more and moe to give himself net clearance on short angle cross court.

In these highlights against Belluci and you can see Roger using it several times.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc_3OzD8FHA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc_3OzD8FHA

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-25-2012, 11:40 PM
No, he's always had that shot. If you want to talk about trademarks and what not, it was Sampras who popularized it with his stretched-dead-run forehand.

Tennis_Hands
10-26-2012, 12:28 AM
No, he's always had that shot. If you want to talk about trademarks and what not, it was Sampras who popularized it with his stretched-dead-run forehand.

That is exactly right. There was a thread about that some time ago.

Sentinel
10-26-2012, 03:58 AM
I've seen him using this shot years back. USO, against Roddick iirc, check the tiebreak in which he comes back from 1-6 and wins.

Ms Nadal
10-26-2012, 05:37 AM
Fed doesn't use the lasso forehand as much as Rafa, he uses it sometimes. But, Rafa looks gorgeous performing his lasso forehand! :oops:. Rafa does it the best.

SStrikerR
10-26-2012, 05:45 AM
This isn't anywhere near a new thing. He's been using it for years, just not as often as Nadal.

beast of mallorca
10-26-2012, 06:06 AM
This isn't anywhere near a new thing. He's been using it for years, just not as often as Nadal.

That's Rafa's regular FH. And Roger rarely/sometimes uses it

TTMR
10-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Every player uses the reverse forehand on the run depending on where they want to place the ball (usually cross-court at an acute angle). You can find videos of players doing this in the sixties and seventies, so it likely was used from the beginning of lawn tennis. It is the only way to follow through in certain positions.

RogerRacket111
10-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Not really doesn't look any different than his usual forehand. If any he was using more of the inside-in that he uses against the lefties like Nadal to their backhand which requires more spin and looks like Nadal's

I don't think Forehand is his problem it's the high backhand.

smoledman
10-26-2012, 07:29 PM
It's just one of many fabulous Fed forehands.

JoelDali
10-26-2012, 07:37 PM
LubeCheck looking very strong.

Loving Looby tonight.

SStrikerR
10-26-2012, 08:09 PM
[/B]

That's Rafa's regular FH. And Roger rarely/sometimes uses it

Yes thanks, I watch tennis. I don't exactly see what you're disputing.

stringertom
10-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Landsdorp has been teaching it for decades (Teltscher, Davenport, Sampras, Ivanovic).

nikdom
10-26-2012, 11:00 PM
The open stance over the head shot FH is different from the one he hits on the run when stretched wide, which is hit while his body is sideways.

I was referring more to the mid court ball from the baseline Roger is hitting now with the buggy whip motion.. For sure I haven't seen him use it the way he's doing now and I've watched a lot of Rogers matches.

PrinceMoron
10-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Fed doesn't use the lasso forehand as much as Rafa, he uses it sometimes. But, Rafa looks gorgeous performing his lasso forehand! :oops:. Rafa does it the best.
Will Have to play pro celebrity with Ban Ki Moon

kragster
10-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Yes thanks, I watch tennis. I don't exactly see what you're disputing.

Umm I think he was agreeing, no need to be snarky.

Sentinel
10-27-2012, 12:30 AM
After adopting several thousand poor/orphaned African children, Sexi couldn't find anything better to adopt ? *shock*

Or maybe he surmised Nadal's forehand is poor and orphaned too ;)

Sabratha
10-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Federer barely uses that shot.

The Dark Knight
10-28-2012, 01:23 AM

No that was a running FH.......rare.

Basically Nadals FH was around for a long time but it's always been sort of a "trick shot" that was rarely used.

Nadal is the first player to regularly use it. In fact not only is he the first player TI regularly use the shot but I believe he is the only player to ever use it regularly.