PDA

View Full Version : Midsize for the baseline hard hitter - Help pls

Big Tigger
10-26-2012, 03:32 AM
Hey guys.

I play arround 5.0 NRTP level and mostly like to hit bombs from the baseline. I am an old school player and already tried to play with larger headed racquets, but always come back to the mids. My last try was a Prince Rebel 95 - and it still felt too big...

I am traveling to the States soon so I decided to get new sticks.

So my search is narrowed among Yonex 89, Head IG Prestige Mid and Wilson PS 90.

Can you please input your thoughts considering a baseline game?

Thanks.

BT

MikeHitsHard93
10-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Haven't played the other two, but the PS 90 is pretty fast and it was easy for me to stay at the baseline with it. However, I am only a 3.5-4.0

anirut
10-26-2012, 07:16 AM
I haven't tried the rackets you listed.

But for me, the PK Redondo mid, strung with "stretched" Gosen Micro 16 @ 52 lbs. I never knew the Redondo can hit such bombs from the baseline until I tasted my own medicine from a guy who borrowed my racket.

By "stretched" I mean prior to stringing I just kept pulling the string really hard, stretching and releasing it a lot of times. Sort of like pre-stretch. This gives the racket a really old-school feel too.

max
10-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Anirut, very interesting. When my Volkls give out, I"m planning to give the Redondo a try. . . if at least for its interesting and fun to pronounce name, but have you tried, too, the Black Ace?

Chotobaka
10-26-2012, 08:25 AM
One more for someone at your level and style... Pacific XFeel Pro 90 Vacuum (re-issue of the Fischer of the same name). You must demo this.

db10s
10-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Dunlop Bio100

anirut
10-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Anirut, very interesting. When my Volkls give out, I"m planning to give the Redondo a try. . . if at least for its interesting and fun to pronounce name, but have you tried, too, the Black Ace?

BlackAce? Of course! It's my WMD, moded a lot, of course.

Larrysümmers
10-26-2012, 09:42 AM
It's really about what you like. ive got the prestige mid, and by looking at your signature you know how that plays. the tour 90s are better for "modern baseline" as in a lot of spin over the net. but for flat hard hitting the prestige mid is my fave. that racket with some poly in you can swing as hard as you want and youre keeping it tween the lines.

though ive been playing with tweeners and now i cant hit with my prestige mid to save my life.

stronzzi70
10-26-2012, 10:28 AM
don´t waste your time,,,,go with the v core 89 tour,,,I tried ig prestige mid, ps 90 , volkl pb 10 mid,,,,,this V core 89 is the best IMO.

Racquet Daddy
10-26-2012, 11:06 AM
During my tour through different mids, I played with the K90 for about six months before switching to the IG Prestige Mid. I agree with Larry - more spin, a little more pop on serve from the K90, but not as much control when hitting out. Plus, it's pretty stiff. I've got a Redondo, too, and it's a great stick if your arm is sore and need to continue hitting with something over 12 oz. The Prestige Mid, imo, counterpunches better than the Redondo. I played with all these racquets stock, so results may vary with lead. Haven't hit with the VCore, but the SW seems pretty high. Happy hunting!

MikeHitsHard93
10-26-2012, 11:25 AM
One more for someone at your level and style... Pacific XFeel Pro 90 Vacuum (re-issue of the Fischer of the same name). You must demo this.

The old model is excellent so I'm sure this one is as well

anirut
10-26-2012, 06:10 PM
The Pacific XFP90 is a great stick. It's fast and maneuverable. The down side is the top-of-hoop is totally dead. Can read my comments in the users' review of the racket. Doesn't feel as crisp as the original Fischer Vac though, but modern strings can fix that.

UCSF2012
10-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Since when does the Tour 90's hit bombs? Weakest racket in my collection, only modestly more powerful than my Prince Graphite Mid. And neither do the Prestiges.

Racket that hits the heaviest ball:

Category I, the heavyweight boxers
1) K Pro Staff 88, the king of heavyweights
2) Head Speed Pro, non-IG

Category II, the middleweights
1) Wilson 6.1 95
2) Prince Graphite EXO3 (serious spin and power)
3) Head Prestiges
4) Wilson BLX Blade Tour

Misc, heavyweights that hit weak, well-placed shots
1) Prince Diablo Tour
2) Wilson 90

MikeHitsHard93
10-26-2012, 07:53 PM
I have a exo3 graphite 100 and it hits with tons of spin and power. I'm sure the 93 would as well

tennis.yellow.balls
10-26-2012, 09:19 PM
So my search is narrowed among Yonex 89, Head IG Prestige Mid and Wilson PS 90.

Can you please input your thoughts considering a baseline game?

Thanks.

BT

If you are deciding between the 3 sticks, I vote for the IG Prestige Mid as I like the old school feel of the original PC600 and this modern racket seems to come the closest and I've demoed all three you mentioned and like the IG Prestige Mid the most. Just my opinion :)

sansaephanh
10-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Prince Diablo Tour Mid. Great hefty stick

vegasgt3
10-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Dunlop Bio 200 or 200 Tour

crosscourt
10-27-2012, 04:54 AM
I have hit a few hours with the YT IG Prestige Mid. It is a much better baseline stick than some of its predecessors and works very well with some of the newer spin-friendly power strings.

The Head Speed Pro is a very good racket with a tight feeling head and string bed that hits very big spin and power.

Big Tigger
10-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks all. I mean it.
All replies were very welcome.

Since I will be in Florida, I can´t demo the Pacific...
Maybe I will try the IG Head and the Yonex harder.
The Head denser string pattern should do fine from the baseline. And the Yonie 89... Damn.. It is so sexy!!

Thanks once more guys. When I am back from the States I tell you how it went.

BT

LeeD
10-29-2012, 04:20 PM
I can second the Dunlop 200's, any configuration, any year, the weight you like, between Tours, standards, and Lites.
You can crush the biggest shots, it's easy on your arm, it's got great control with the 18x20 string setups.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-29-2012, 05:17 PM
The only benefit of the BLX ProStaff 90 is that it's quick at net. At the baseline, it's performance is lacking compared to the [K]Factor.

I've only hit with a Prestige Classic 600, but if you want to hit big, flat shots, Prestige Mids would be the way to go. If you want to add lead, just put it under the grommet.

ProStaff 90 would be good on the baseline for if you add some weight to it. Can't say anything about the Yonex 89.

Big Tigger
11-21-2012, 05:17 AM
Hey guys.

I am back from my travels and I picked up the Head.
I demoed all the frames you considered (could not demo the Pacific - no availability).

I liked them all. First off I was headed to go with the Yonie. As I said, I liked it but didn't seem to be as solid as the others.

The Dunlop 200 is awsome from the baseline and I had a tie with the Head Mid. I chose the Head bacause it felt as solid and it is smaller headed. The Dunlop felt a little large in my hands (for my taste).

I also liked de PS 90 and the Blade 93. But in these cases I clearly prefered the Head solidity wise.

Thanks a lot for your inputs pals.

BT

verite
11-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Ezone 100.

Muppet
11-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Hey guys.

I am back from my travels and I picked up the Head.
I demoed all the frames you considered (could not demo the Pacific - no availability).

I liked them all. First off I was headed to go with the Yonie. As I said, I liked it but didn't seem to be as solid as the others.

The Dunlop 200 is awsome from the baseline and I had a tie with the Head Mid. I chose the Head bacause it felt as solid and it is smaller headed. The Dunlop felt a little large in my hands (for my taste).

I also liked de PS 90 and the Blade 93. But in these cases I clearly prefered the Head solidity wise.

Thanks a lot for your inputs pals.

BT

Did you try the Dunlop Bio 100? If so, what did you think of it? Was it stiff?

Kenzik
11-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Dunlop 4D 100. You can lead it up and customize it to your own personal preference. Really solid frame with a generous sweet-spot. It felt a lil light while I was swinging in stock form but I managed to customize it to how I like it and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. I'm also interested in the Prince Tour Diablo Mid so I think I'll be checking that out. It's a shame I didn't buy it during the 40% off anniversary sale.

Big Tigger
11-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Did you try the Dunlop Bio 100? If so, what did you think of it? Was it stiff?

Yeah. I demoed the early AG model. Well... nothing special conected to it. Not as solid as the 200. Actually way less solid. And the string pattern is too open for my taste.

I can't see me playing with these 100's. Maybe too lightweight and if I remember it has a cheap feel off the strings.

If you want to hit big with Dunlops I think the 200 series is the way to go.

BT.

crosscourt
11-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Which Head did you go for and how are you finding it?