PDA

View Full Version : How many of us truly like all 4 of the Top 4?

librarysteg
10-26-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm new here, and I've been surprised by all the negativity directed at the players. I'm curious if those posters are the norm around here or more of a minority?

Djokovic is my favorite, but I honestly enjoy Nadal, Murray, and Federer immensely and don't have much of anything negative to say about them. I want Nadal back at 100%, I want Federer to stick around playing well for as long as he can, and I want Murray to continue playing the kind of tennis that wins him medals and slams.

Paul Murphy
10-26-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm new here, and I've been surprised by all the negativity directed at the players. I'm curious if those posters are the norm around here or more of a minority?

Djokovic is my favorite, but I honestly enjoy Nadal, Murray, and Federer immensely and don't have much of anything negative to say about them. I want Nadal back at 100%, I want Federer to stick around playing well for as long as he can, and I want Murray to continue playing the kind of tennis that wins him medals and slams.

Hear, hear. Well said.
They're all good guys and wonderful players and the game is lucky to have them.
In my case I find some supporters of a certain player to have a very tenuous grip on reality and their zealotry knows no bounds - and I do mean no bounds.
Their obsession can tend to produce some antagonism against their player - though it's not his fault if some of his supporters on here infest every thread with references to their hero.

Homeboy Hotel
10-26-2012, 04:37 PM
I find it hard to truly hate one of the top 4 also.

When they face up against each other, say at Roland Garros, I can't just root heavily for one. I just appreciate the tennis and happy no matter what the outcome - as long as it's a good match.

Obviously if I had to chose one I'll have a favourite and a least favourite, but I'd also like Nadal back.

tennisaddict
10-26-2012, 04:55 PM
If you are a true Fed fan and he loses 2 times consecutively in the USO semis to Nole after holding 2 match points, one time on serve - all because Nole closed his eyes and smacked the ball - your hate will never end.

keithfival
10-26-2012, 04:58 PM
If you are a true Fed fan and he loses 2 times consecutively in the USO semis to Nole after holding 2 match points, one time on serve - all because Nole closed his eyes and smacked the ball - your hate will never end.

And...scene...

BauerAlmeida
10-26-2012, 05:19 PM

I agree. Djokovic is my favorite too, but I also like and respect Nadal and Federer. Murray is my least favorite by far, but I don't hate him and of course he is a great player.

Gonzo_style
10-26-2012, 05:21 PM

LOL :):):):)

So, if you are a true Fed fan, you must hates Djokovic???

Towser83
10-26-2012, 05:22 PM

He played a good shot. Just accept that instead of grumbling about "lucky shots" And Fed's own fault for losing especially being up a break and then losing his serve twice in a row.

Really Fed should have lost the first 2 sets of the 2007 final to Djokovic so it evens out. I'm a big Federer fan, but he's won 5 US Opens, should have won a 6th in 2009, and had he beaten Djokovic in the semis in 2010 or 2011, there was a good chance he'd lose to Nadal anyway.

SoBad
10-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks for your positive and refreshing prospective, you fresh green troll. I also love all top four - the great Nadal, talented Djokovic, angry murray, and overrated fred.

Towser83
10-26-2012, 05:25 PM
My favourite player of all time is Federer. I'm a big fan of Djokovic too and want him to do well now, because Federer's kind of won a lot to put it mildly, but still want him to win stuff, just like to see a slant towards Djokovic. Nadal I'm not a fan of but I don't hate the guy, though there are things that **** me off about him, but he'sbasically a good bloke and a great player. Murray I don't really like at all.. but give him his due, he's a good player.

SoBad
10-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Nadal I'm not a fan of but I don't hate the guy, though there are things that **** me off about him, ... Murray I don't really like at all....

You are one of those guys who truly like all 4 of the top 4 then huh...;)

Towser83
10-26-2012, 05:31 PM
You are one of those guys who truly like all 4 of the top 4 then huh...;)

No I'm not. I'm just explaining my posistion. But at least I don't badmouth players all the time. Some people just want to take digs at guys they don't like because they can't not like someone but still respect their ability and achievements.

Clarky21
10-26-2012, 05:34 PM
No I'm not. I'm just explaining my posistion. But at least I don't badmouth players all the time. Some people just want to take digs at guys they don't like because they can't not like someone but still respect their ability and achievements.

Yeah,like you calling Nadal a "grinder",and insulting his defensive style of play. Isn't that his ability? Shouldn't you respect what he has achieved in his career playing a less "attacking" style of tennis? :lol:

SoBad
10-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Some people just want to take digs at guys they don't like because they can't not like someone but still respect their ability and achievements.

What do you mean when you say "guys they don't like because they can't not like someone"? Also, have any of those people you mention posted in this thread?

Towser83
10-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Yeah,like you calling Nadal a "grinder",and insulting his defensive style of play. Isn't that his ability? Shouldn't you respect what he has achieved in his career playing a less "attacking" style of tennis? :lol:

I was being facetious in response to you my dear clarky, in fact mostly saying what YOU have been saying about Nadal. All I said was he was his game was more gind based than Djokovic. and I do respect what Nadal has achieved. When have I ever said I didn't? I do find him a bit boring but he is a great player. Never said anything else

Towser83
10-26-2012, 05:42 PM
What do you mean when you say "guys they don't like because they can't not like someone"? Also, have any of those people you mention posted in this thread?

I mean there are people who don't like someone but can appreciate they are great players, but some people will let their dislike of a player get in the way of giving credit to them as well.You get the people who claim Fed or Nadal are useless players just because they don't like them personally.

Not seen any Fed or Nadal haters show up yet, but I can't recall them all. Clarky is one of a few Djokohaters, she does sometimes give credit but other times she makes excuses for every bit of success he's had, so it's a tough call. :lol: But basically she lets her dislike of him influence her view on his ability and achievements.

SoBad
10-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Nadal I'm not a fan of but I don't hate the guy, though there are things that **** me off about him... Murray I don't really like at all...

I mean there are people who don't like someone but can appreciate they are great players, but some people will let their dislike of a player get in the way of giving credit to them as well.You get the people who claim Fed or Nadal are useless players just because they don't like them personally.

Not seen any Fed or Nadal haters show up yet, but I can't recall them all. Clarky is one of a few Djokohaters, she does sometimes give credit but other times she makes excuses for every bit of success he's had, so it's a tough call. :lol: But basically she lets her dislike of him influence her view on his ability and achievements.

I have not seen any Djokovic or Freder haters in this thread yet, but I do get a sense that some people here are not as fond of Nadal or Murray as they try to claim in retrospect.

librarysteg
10-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the responses. It's interesting to see some explanations and nice to see some other people who do enjoy and like all of the top guys. I am fresh off a huge break where I stopped following tennis for a big chunk of time so maybe I won't be so accepting of everyone this time next year.

Praetorian
10-26-2012, 07:35 PM
I love the top 4, as they are probably the best top 4 of all time. With that being said, I wish there wasn't such a gap between number and the rest of the pros. I think a true top 5 or top 6 with 7/8 just knocking on their heels, would make for a truly entertaining tour.

tenniswriter
10-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Huge fan of the top 4 here, I think they each bring something different to the game and have a fierce but healthy rivalry along with a lot of respect and in some cases, friendship off the court as well. We're blessed to be living in such a strong era for tennis.

1972murat
10-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Tennis-wise , I like them all. I have played some competitive tennis way back when so I can appreciate what they are doing out there. I have always liked classic players like Borg, Edberg, Sampras, so Federer was just the natural draw for me as a favorite player.
However there are a couple of things I don't like about these guys. Murray, for one...when he holds a different body part after every lost point irks me. Just...don't do that man...you are allowed to lose a point without being hurt. It happens.
Nadal, great dude when things go his way but when they don't...medical time outs, washroom breaks when opponent is about to serve for the match? You are allowed lose too man, relax...
Roger, brother, give credit where its due without giving some snide remark...stuff happens...properly congratulate the opponent and move on...
Nole, now that you are not the old nole who was about to achieve the quit slam, you are king kong, chest tumping and all...relax. Also not to crazy about the pose...tell them to tone it down.
Tennis wise, I am lucky to see all these guys playing.

Murrayfan31
10-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Murray and Djokovic are easily likeable. It's the other 2 players I got issues with. Especially Nadal. Has anyone's celebration ever been as annoying?

PrinceMoron
10-27-2012, 12:08 AM
No WTA here obviously.

Zarfot Z
10-27-2012, 01:02 AM

Welcome to Talk Tennis forum OP.

joeri888
10-27-2012, 01:09 AM
I hate the game of the other 3. It's the modern game I guess, but I think it'll kill tennis eventually, at least for me. So on the court, I only like Federer.

Off the court, their all great guys.

Sabratha
10-27-2012, 01:21 AM
I like all of the top four besides Djokovic, but I can't deny he's talented.

*Sparkle*
10-27-2012, 01:37 AM
I like and appreciate them all. That's not to say I love everything they do, but when push comes to shove, they are all great players who work hard and and decent guys on and off the court, so IMO you have to be pretty idiotic to not like them.

There are odd things they do that annoy me, but some people fixate on something said or done in passing, or in a moment of frustration and treat it as if it's a fundamental part of their personality. I'm sure if we had cameras trained on us all day at work we'd be caught out saying something silly, or pulling a funny face that would annoy someone.

If I were to complain about something, it would be that Federer can be a bit up himself, but a couple of years ago I realised it was just too funny to allow myself to be annoyed by it. It's also hard to blame him for being smug when he has achieved everything he's achieved.

Sabratha
10-27-2012, 01:48 AM
I like and appreciate them all. That's not to say I love everything they do, but when push comes to shove, they are all great players who work hard and and decent guys on and off the court, so IMO you have to be pretty idiotic to not like them.

There are odd things they do that annoy me, but some people fixate on something said or done in passing, or in a moment of frustration and treat it as if it's a fundamental part of their personality. I'm sure if we had cameras trained on us all day at work we'd be caught out saying something silly, or pulling a funny face that would annoy someone.

If I were to complain about something, it would be that Federer can be a bit up himself, but a couple of years ago I realised it was just too funny to allow myself to be annoyed by it. It's also hard to blame him for being smug when he has achieved everything he's achieved.
Federer's arrogance has died down quite a bit, he was A LOT worse back in 2004-2005.

*Sparkle*
10-27-2012, 02:05 AM
There was a while when it really put me off him, but something clicked one day when I was talking to my brother about it, and we just had a good laugh at the silly things he did. Ever since then, I actively enjoy his little diva moments.

I sometimes feel sorry for opponents who aren't getting the credit they deserve, and his fans can be tedious as hell, but some are crazy to the point I'm not sure if they are genuine, or attempting parody.:oops:

jones101
10-27-2012, 03:38 AM
Im a HUGE fan of Federer, but I dont mind Djokovic too.

I'll root for Murray in big matches (and Olympics/Davis Cup), provided he does not play Federer.

I usually root for players to beat NAdal (because his matches have an inevitability about them sometimes), but enjoy watching him play (especially on clay and grass).

heninfan99
10-28-2012, 06:21 AM
This would be a good poll question.

NDFM
10-28-2012, 11:19 AM
My favourite is nadal but I respect what the others have achieved.

Hitman
10-28-2012, 11:27 AM
My answer to this is that I like tennis first and foremost. I want to be entertained, and all four have the ability to do that for me. I have my preferences, in which order I like them, but I don't hate any of them. My fav is Roger, but that does not automatically mean I don't like what Rafa brings to the court, just because he is Roger's rival, or that his game is the yang to Roger's yin. Many of Rafa's matches have enthralled me, the AO 09 semi is one of my favorite matches of all time, along with his battles with Roger and Coria in Rome 05 and 06.

I like watching Murray, when he truly brings his all court game out. He has so much to give the game, and it does frustrate me when he doesn't do that. His battle with Novak in AO semi was sensational, as well as his battle with Roger in Wimbledon.

I'v always liked Novak. His matches against Roger at the Open have been legendary, for the laser like shotmaking. And that classic RG semi in 11.

They are all very very good. I'll Juan Martin to this list also, because he is another guy who blows me away with his excellence, his battles with Roger the RG 09 semi, USO 09 final and Olympics semi were just outstanding.

Roger..Where do I begin?

librarysteg
10-28-2012, 11:34 AM
This would be a good poll question.

I tried, but I couldn't figure out how to add a poll!

TheF1Bob
10-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Djokovic is the GOAT, true champion unlike the other three.

Don't mind me some Fed, touch arrogant though.

Hate the other two, especially ******.

OHBH
10-28-2012, 11:49 AM
I only hate Murray, other three are fine.

veroniquem
10-28-2012, 12:38 PM
I like the 3 younger ones. The old man doesn't have spectacular enough defense for me.

Mainad
10-28-2012, 12:39 PM
I do. What's not to like about any of them?

They're all great players with a great game and each has a distinctive style that makes them all fascinating to watch.

Hawkeye7
10-28-2012, 12:45 PM
I don't mind any of them. I do get annoyed at times, but that's about it. They are all great players and deserve respect for that alone.

ALL IN
10-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Huge fan of the top 4 here, I think they each bring something different to the game and have a fierce but healthy rivalry along with a lot of respect and in some cases, friendship off the court as well. We're blessed to be living in such a strong era for tennis.

My thoughts exactly

kaku
10-28-2012, 01:23 PM
I love watching all 4 play

90's Clay
10-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Can't stand Murray.. I like Nole but never loved his game.. Love Fed's game but his elitist smug attitude makes me sick.

Nadal is the only one I can say I love watching play