PDA

View Full Version : Babolats Pure Drive Problem

El Nino
10-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Well with Clijsters and Roddick retiring. Babolats lost some of their TWO most marketable players. They were also both Pure drive users. Now Babolat can advertise the Pure Drive With Errani, Radwanska and Li Na but that would make one of the most male used rackets with an aggressive paintjob into a Chick Stick. Since ARod has retired, abio Fognini is the next highest ranked player. Unless he cracks top 25, He not gonna be that popular with the less extreme-tennis-followers. So do Babolat get someone like Tsonga and sign a top 20 pro to use at least a Pure Drive paint job or will the legendary Racket be classed a chick stick like the 2000-2010 Yonex rackets ?

Ico
10-27-2012, 10:08 AM
I've always wondered why Babolat uses Nadal and Tsonga for the APD. Let Nadal keep the shiny yellow racquet and move Tsonga to the Pure Drive paintjob.

Clay lover
10-27-2012, 10:19 AM
The thing is, Tsonga DOES ACTUALLY use an APD. You can't really paintjob away the aero beams.

El Nino
10-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Can't They Mold the throat like they done with DelPo's 2013 Steam??

Nikuz
10-27-2012, 01:33 PM
benneteau?

cmb
10-27-2012, 01:39 PM
he can switch to the pure drive....we all know that Novak paints his custom frames anyway...just throw a pure drive PJ on there! haha wouldnt that be funny??

andymaratkimi
10-27-2012, 05:14 PM
What about Isner who wears Lacoste looks just like bigger Andy Roddick?

Adidas_Anderson
10-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Fognini switched to Aeropro Drive or Aero Storm , not sure lol

db10s
10-27-2012, 06:27 PM
What about Isner who wears Lacoste looks just like bigger Andy Roddick?

I wonder how much more time he has left with Prince..... And then its open season.

tommyfr
10-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Isnt Babolat one of the very few companies that dont do paint jobs. What you see is what you get. Players have the retail versions.

They should be honored for that and not encouraged to change that policy.

mctennis
10-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Isnt Babolat one of the very few companies that dont do paint jobs. What you see is what you get. Players have the retail versions.

I don't believe this is true. I think Babolat does use pj's on the pro's racquets. I believe there are posts further back that have some pics to show the pj's.

Ross K
10-27-2012, 11:53 PM
I think the OP raises a very interesting point.

Especially re the mens game and Roddick, who has flag-shipped and very successfully come to embody the PD range over this period where Babolat has gone from relative obscurity to all out global domination haha. The combination and synergy of Roddick's persona and game (and serve in particular), and the way Babolat was perceived as suddenly being 'trendy', or the 'in thing', or 'modern', contributed massively IMO to the PD's huge surge in popularity.

So, yes, who does Babolat get in now though? Who has got something not only in the being a brilliant, top tier player sense, but also in the charisma sense?

As said before, Tsonga would have been the one that springs to mind. I can't help but think surely an eye-wateringly excessive sum, and the promise of being the main no. 1 face of the PD (as opposed to the no. 2 face of the APD behind Rafa), might get Willy-Jo onboard with the PD.

You would have thought that Babolat are targeting the up-coming star junior players, top new pro's etc, though that's largely in the hands of the gods re how well they'll ultimately do.

Whatever. Fognini (?), Benneteau, etc. You can't see them helping to shift many PDs, can you?

Stevo Karlovic
10-28-2012, 01:17 AM
This is a very interesting and well thought observation. I think now is a perfect time for Babolat to nurse Marcos Baghdatis's endorsement wounds and arm him with the Pure Drive. Baggy is likable and fun to watch. He's also playing damn good tenno again and still considered a very dangerous, top-25 type player. Otherwise, they can mortgage the farm on the dreadfully dull, Samwise Querrey. Yikes.

El Nino
10-28-2012, 04:18 AM
I wasl also thinking about the Pure Storm Too, no one apart from Stosur, Gilraldo and Harrison. So a suggestion for babolat is to endorse their rackets something like this:

Aeropro Drive- Rafa and Errani (Both clay courters, racket suits playing style perfectly)

Pure Drive- Li Na and Isner, Tsonga Or Querrey (Why Would They Let Radwanska Endorse a Pure Drive!? I think she does well with the lite rackets as lot of Junior Girls Use it too) Anyway I would go with Tsonga as he has a big serve and forehand and pure drive are made for big hitters.

Pure Storm- Stosur and Harrison and Bagdathis or Haas. Pure Storm doesn't have the marketing of The PD or APD. It a pretty All rounded Advanced racket like the Prestige and Blade range. I think Haas would be more marketable but he not a safe investment as he's hasn't got a many years in him. So Bagdathis would be a safer bet and he's not endorsing a racket so the would do quite well. Harrison is a future star so he does well too.

Babolat should make another Racket Line with specs like a Head Radical, Pros like Radwasnka and Fognini could endorse it. I would get Babolat out of that Power and spin mode of rackets and make one with more versatile and Control. -El Niņo

themitchmann
10-28-2012, 05:11 AM
I wonder how much more time he has left with Prince..... And then its open season.

He's with them for at least another year.

ductrung3993
10-28-2012, 05:36 AM
Roger will switch to the Pure Drive for a sexier bigger cortex head and conquer his 20th GS.

Ross K
10-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Still slightly bugs me that Wozi got poached by Yonex. Mind you, her form's hardly been scintillating since then.

Ross K
10-28-2012, 01:18 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/RRohan/Caroline-Wozniacki-6.jpg

Ah, now that's a whole lot better... :)

sundaypunch
10-28-2012, 03:17 PM

This isn't correct. Nadal uses a paint job as well as Roddick. They are the same as every other company. If a pro doesn't want to use the retail version they just paint the old one to look like the new version.

Nostradamus
10-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Roger Federer said he will be switching to Pure drives soon. He needs the power since he is getting old.

Doubles
10-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Roger Federer said he will be switching to Pure drives soon. He needs the power since he is getting old.

You're brilliant.

tennisplayer_85
10-31-2012, 02:33 PM
You're brilliant.

I just tried the pure drive recently, and i couldnt hit a single ball in, being used to the wilson blx. federer might need it when he turns 80.

Roddickulous
10-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Pro staffs are for players who require accuracy, Pure Drives are for players that have accuracy and can control the power. you probably dont hit enough spin or you just arent very good, ;P (jk) but it definitely is an adjustment, you definitely have to hit more spin...

rdis10093
10-31-2012, 03:16 PM

nostradamus, I would love to play a match against you.

CANTGETENOUGHTENNIS!
10-31-2012, 03:53 PM
my pure drives aren't ever, despite gobs of different lead tape configurations, going to be any where near the overall level of my K90s and BLX90s, but hell, i'm getting sponsored by Babolat so i've gotta play with 'em:(