PDA

View Full Version : Closer to a redondo? Exo3 tour (16x18) VS donnay gold 99

Mister drool
10-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Greetings, recently i made a search in this forum for the donnay gold 99, but not a hole lot of information regarding that racquet.
Recently have been looking a lot into maybe buying a exo3 tour 16x18, but havenít come around to it. Mostly because my finances are not allowing it aand secondly because I live in Portugal, and here it is not easy to find stores that allow you to try out the racquets before you buy them. I was trying not to buy before demoing, but it know it will be difficult.
Them the donnay caught my eye. Better specs for me than the exo3 tour! Thinner framed, maybe better feel? Same weight, just the bit lower swingweight I might not like, because I play a teach with a Redondo mid, very flexy and heavy, but with swingweight aroung 320, which the exo3 tour also has.
I had played in the past with 2 n code n pro open, they where ok but still not the racquet I was looking for for a bigger head sized frame. That would be the same as the Redondo but in 98 / 100 sq inch head and a open string pattern (I only tolerate the 18x20 in the Redondo, because the frame is just sublime). ...
What frame do you guys think comes closer to the Redondo in terms of feel and weight distribution? The also flexier exo3 or the thinner, stiffer but also claimed comfortable donnay gold 99 ?

Thoughts appreciated!

morandi
10-27-2012, 01:23 PM
To me the Donnay Gold 99 is a very different racquet then the Exo3 tour. The Exo3 tour is sort of a unique racquet into what category it fits into. It is more of a comfortable, arm friendly alternative to something like a Babolat pure drive, but with a players racquet edge to it. It is a spin monster, has a lot of pop, and is extremely fast through the air, and a very muted response.
The Donnay gold 99 is more like a forgiving Prestige. You have to generate your own power, it has great feel, and feels really solid. It was one of the best racquets on the slice backhand that I have ever used. Even though I hit a two handed backhand, I was going to the slice more with this racquet because it was such a weapon.
On serve I found the Exo tour to offer a bit more pop/action, but required a bit of an adjustment to get things clicking.

Chotobaka
10-27-2012, 01:43 PM
I have never played the Donnay, but I can unequivocally say that the EXO3 100 Tour plays nothing like the either Redondo. The EXO3 has a lot of things going for it, but it is very, very different feeling than the Redondo.

mikeler
10-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Exo3 Tour is like no other racket out there. It's really a shame you can't demo because I think it is a love it or hate it racket.

Mister drool
10-28-2012, 04:20 AM
Great info right there morandi, I thought both racquets could be more close to each other than what you state, but the way you define one from the other is very clear. I have play around with both pure drive (original) and a prestige Microgel mid, flexpoint pro and more recently a IG prestige S, all playing very diferently from the pure dirve, which is a cannon of a racquet. what can I say...? i like the free power I get from the babolat, but the feel and confort from racquets of the likes of 6.1, prestiges and the redondo are just too good to pass! From what you say i might realy like the donnay.

I can unequivocally say that the EXO3 100 Tour plays nothing like the either Redondo. .

And this one is a shame too, For example, like I said i have play with the npro open, and it is a fine frame, powerfull and with good spin acess, but the feel of a tapered seamless graphite frame is nowhere near the feel of a pure braided graphite one. It is comfortable but you can feel the stifness of it (and i use MCS at low tension) Both the redondo and the k90/pro staff 90 (older version) have this braided construiction, and even stating that the k90 is a 66/67 RA flex, i feel it to be A LOT more comfortable than most frames out there today.

please keep sharing your experiences with both frames if you have any, even if its just an opinion!

Mister drool
10-28-2012, 04:24 AM
Ahh MIkeler, i once bounced a ball from an exo3 tour team version in a store, and did not care much to its feel.... that particualr racquet vibrated a little as well....
i believe the tour version to be a lot diferent (or i want it to be diferent), mostly because of the thinner beam and heavier overall frame. but.... the team version did not made me smile, no sir..

mrc
10-31-2012, 06:32 AM
Morandi nailed it...I come from the I.prestige Austrian models. I have not hit a China made Prestige that can hang with the old I.prestige. Then I hit the Donnay Gold and switched. I have it at 12 ounces with custom kit.
bottom line...you get power and feel..great combo

mikeler
10-31-2012, 06:46 AM
Ahh MIkeler, i once bounced a ball from an exo3 tour team version in a store, and did not care much to its feel.... that particualr racquet vibrated a little as well....
i believe the tour version to be a lot diferent (or i want it to be diferent), mostly because of the thinner beam and heavier overall frame. but.... the team version did not made me smile, no sir..

The 16x18 is much better for me than the 18x20 version of the Exo3 Tour.

Chotobaka
10-31-2012, 08:40 AM
The 16x18 is much better for me than the 18x20 version of the Exo3 Tour.

Ditto. It took a few minutes to adjust, but I really liked the 16x18 EXO3 Tour. I though it was quite a powerful stick, but controllably so, and that made it a well balanced racquet for me. I can see people coming from stiff racquets having a bigger adjustment period with its feel, though. I demo'd the EXO3 Tour right after the Head Extreme Pro 2.0 and, aside from the stiffness/comfort, the biggest difference is I had to really dial-down my swing with the Head whereas I did not have to make major changes to my swing with the Prince -- but it was still an easy playing racquet with loads of pop. If I can get over the plastic-toy looking metallic orange trim/inserts I may actually add this one to my collection. The 18x20 did not work well for me.

Mister drool
11-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Hei chotobaka you said that it feels a lot diferent from a redondo, i actually asked in a diferent post if anyone could actually could say why it feels diferent since they both have a 100% graphite base. Im guessing its the braided nature of the redondo that gives it the flex feeling i like. I have 2 k90, and while stiffer, they also felx the way i like, and find them to be comfortable too. up until today i have never hit with anything more comfortable than the redondo, and its weight has someting to do with it, but believe it or not, a frined of mine has 2 redondos and he was guetting shoulder pain from them.. switched back to a radical mp liquidmetal and his pain was gone.
talk about biomechanics beeing good to use certain frames for some and not for others...

Chotobaka
11-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Hei chotobaka you said that it feels a lot diferent from a redondo, i actually asked in a diferent post if anyone could actually could say why it feels diferent since they both have a 100% graphite base. Im guessing its the braided nature of the redondo that gives it the flex feeling i like. I have 2 k90, and while stiffer, they also felx the way i like, and find them to be comfortable too. up until today i have never hit with anything more comfortable than the redondo, and its weight has someting to do with it, but believe it or not, a frined of mine has 2 redondos and he was guetting shoulder pain from them.. switched back to a radical mp liquidmetal and his pain was gone.
talk about biomechanics beeing good to use certain frames for some and not for others...

The differences are not in the materials, flex or other specs of the respective racquets. The EXO3 Tour takes getting used to because of the very muted feel. Until I became adjusted it had a very detached, borderline numb, feel. And I can usually pick up any racquet and play with minimal adjustment. Redondos being a cause of shoulder pain, as in the case of your friend, sounds like a reach and is pretty much implausible to me. Feeling better after his racquet switch could be a coincidental as much as anything else. But if the LM works for him, that's all that counts.

Mister drool
11-14-2012, 07:44 AM
yep, far fetched i know, but i saw it with my own eyes...
i guess i will be buying his 2 redondos cheap for myself and stack up!
I love my redondos and the way they feel, now if only pro klennex made a 16x18 version of the redondo mid, i would fall in love.