PDA

View Full Version : federer best performance ever

FEDisanAlien
10-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Which is the best performance of federer in a 5 set match .

The Bawss
10-28-2012, 04:24 AM
You are going to see answers like:

Fed - Safin 2005 AO (from the Fed haters)

Fed - Hewitt 2004 USO (most people)

Fed - Roddick 2007 AO (most people)

Fed - Djokovic 2011 RG (most people, clay only performance or olderer performance)

Fed - Nadal 2008 RG (***)

But I mean you can't really list 1 best performance, he was awesome in the 2006 USO final against Roddick as well as in the 2005 Wimbledon final too, as well as in many other slam matches.

FEDisanAlien
10-28-2012, 04:32 AM
For me its either ferrer or against tsonga
I accept that against djoko in RG he played really well but that wasthe old federer and thats why people consider it to be a good performance
Djoko chocked in the 4th set and if he had won it he would have won the match

The Bawss
10-28-2012, 04:38 AM
For me its either ferrer or against tsonga
I accept that against djoko in RG he played really well but that wasthe old federer and thats why people consider it to be a good performance
Djoko chocked in the 4th set and if he had won it he would have won the match

Fed played his best tennis before the days when Ferrer or Tsonga were challenging Fed. Also, no disrespect to those guys but any performance Fed inflicts on them isn't remarkable as they are his pigeons and will never go on to achieve much. Nobody cares that Fed triple-breadsticked Albert Ramos this year because he is a nobody, otoh people were impressed when Fed double-bagelled a double slam champion in 2004.

Sabratha
10-28-2012, 05:01 AM
Either vs Hewitt at the 2004 US Open or Federer vs Fernando Gonzalez at the 2007 Australian Open.

Gonzo_style
10-28-2012, 05:02 AM
Against Djokovic in RG SF 2011!

Btw, Federer didn't play vs Tsonga in AO 2007, did you mean AO 2010 SF?

Cesc Fabregas
10-28-2012, 05:11 AM
2007 Wimbledon. Came through when he was really pushed against a great player.

abmk
10-28-2012, 05:18 AM
hewitt USO 2004 final ....

zam88
10-28-2012, 05:27 AM
2007 Wimbledon. Came through when he was really pushed against a great player.

i agree with this

FEDisanAlien
10-28-2012, 05:44 AM
i agree with this

No way
Fed will never produce his best against nadal and thats because of the matchup and also nadal plays most points into feds backhand

RAFA2005RG
10-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Federer's win over Mathieu in the Basel semi is the best I've ever seen Federer play. And I wouldn't even feed Federer to my dog, so you know he must be playing well if I'm complimenting him.

FEDisanAlien
10-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Federer's win over Mathieu in the Basel semi is the best I've ever seen Federer play. And I wouldn't even feed Federer to my dog, so you know he must be playing well if I'm complimenting him.

Its up there with rosols performance in the second round of this years wimbledon.

RAFA2005RG
10-28-2012, 06:27 AM
Its up there with rosols performance in the second round of this years wimbledon.

I've never seen Federer strike the ball as cleanly as Rosol. Rosol-Nadal is my favorite match since the 2009 Australian Open final.

FEDisanAlien
10-28-2012, 06:32 AM
I've never seen Federer strike the ball as cleanly as Rosol. Rosol-Nadal is my favorite match since the 2009 Australian Open final.

Yeap you are right . He might be even better than federer saddly we dont know yet since they havent played unti now
On the other hand everyone knows that he is played nadal and humiliated him
End of story

RAFA2005RG
10-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Yeap you are right . He might be even better than federer saddly we dont know yet since they havent played unti now
On the other hand everyone knows that he is played nadal and humiliated him
End of story

You don't have to be better than Federer (or better than Nadal) to strike the ball cleaner than Federer. It's just one day of clean ball striking. Means nothing in the scheme of a career. And I doubt Rosol will ever strike it that cleanly again.

kishnabe
10-28-2012, 06:43 AM
Hewitt US Open 2004.

Hewitt was playing his best.....but Federer was hitting his Forehand like never before and after.

Steve0904
10-28-2012, 07:24 AM
I almost said the Blake match because I've never seen him hit his BH better, but then I thought two bagels in one match...

thejackal
10-28-2012, 08:00 AM
against monaco in the USO 2011.

was staying up late to catch his match. there was a long rain delay and it was just before midnight or something like that when he took the court. I had work the next day at 7AM and thought there was no way I could watch the whole match without falling asleep on my couch.

I was wrong. Fed got it done in something like 60 minutes and lost only 2-3 games

BauerAlmeida
10-28-2012, 08:08 AM
You are going to see answers like:

Fed - Safin 2005 AO (from the Fed haters)

Why? That was an incredible match...

On Topic:

Vs Agassi in the Masters Cup 2003 final.

But from those options Roddick in the AO followed by Hewitt in the USO.

90's Clay
10-28-2012, 08:14 AM
2005- AO vs. Safin. Even though he lost ( From the 04-07 time period)

But

I think some of his best performances came after his supposed "peak". Aside from Safin though, to beat some of the guys Fed did, an all time great wouldn't really HAVE to be at their peak to beat them.

You hardly have to be at your peak to beat a Crippled slow OLD Agassi or Roddick or Kiefer or Davydenko or Gonzales.

His performances against better players or players more in the prime of their career and Fed won were more impressive IMO.

FEDisanAlien
10-28-2012, 08:17 AM
You don't have to be better than Federer (or better than Nadal) to strike the ball cleaner than Federer. It's just one day of clean ball striking. Means nothing in the scheme of a career. And I doubt Rosol will ever strike it that cleanly again.

Obviously rosol played out of his mind especially the 5th set. I will create a new topic which performance was better rosols. 2012 tsongas 2008 ao or delpo uso 2009.

I can speak allday with u i am trying to improve my english thanks

RAFA2005RG
10-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Obviously rosol played out of his mind especially the 5th set. I will create a new topic which performance was better rosols. 2012 tsongas 2008 ao or delpo uso 2009.

I can speak allday with u i am trying to improve my english thanks

It makes you wonder, were those guys really playing great, or were they simply allowed to play great by an injured opponent?

Nadal hasn't played since the Rosol loss, clearly severely damaged by having to play every match at Roland Garros with painkillers.

Nadal had a torn stomach muscle vs Del Potro at the 2009 US Open and was serving at about 97mph 1st serves.

Nadal was in bad shape in the 2008 AO, physically drained. Although no specific injury if I recall correctly. So I might give the nod to Tsonga, because Nadal was seriously injured in the Del Potro and Rosol matches.

kishnabe
10-28-2012, 10:10 AM
2005- AO vs. Safin. Even though he lost ( From the 04-07 time period)

But

I think some of his best performances came after his supposed "peak". Aside from Safin though, to beat some of the guys Fed did, an all time great wouldn't really HAVE to be at their peak to beat them.

You hardly have to be at your peak to beat a Crippled slow OLD Agassi or Roddick or Kiefer or Davydenko or Gonzales.

His performances against better players or players more in the prime of their career and Fed won were more impressive IMO.

You should go back and watch Roddick, Hewitt, Davydenko, Gonzalez, and Safin.

They actually played well in that era....comparable to Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, Tsonga and Ferrer in this era.

FEDisanAlien
10-28-2012, 11:14 AM
It makes you wonder, were those guys really playing great, or were they simply allowed to play great by an injured opponent?

Nadal hasn't played since the Rosol loss, clearly severely damaged by having to play every match at Roland Garros with painkillers.

Nadal had a torn stomach muscle vs Del Potro at the 2009 US Open and was serving at about 97mph 1st serves.

Nadal was in bad shape in the 2008 AO, physically drained. Although no specific injury if I recall correctly. So I might give the nod to Tsonga, because Nadal was seriously injured in the Del Potro and Rosol matches.

How is it possible one of the most physically gifted players of all time to be physically drained at the start of the season winning all his previous matches in straight sets . Baby i question ur intelligence maybe you work as a barman
Thanks though you gave me a nice laugh

akv89
10-28-2012, 11:21 AM
I was rewatching Federer/Hewitt match from the 2004 USO a couple weeks ago. Federer started and finished the match in a flourish with brilliant forehands, but during the rest of the match, the scoreline was more about Hewitt's bad play. Hewitt's winner/UE ratio was atrocious. Federer's backhand was also not working at any point during the match.

Federer's match against Blake at the 2006 YEC seems like higher quality play from Federer. Everything was working for him that day: serve, forehand, backhand, volleys, half-volleys. Of course, the 2007 AO SF against Roddick was also amazing.

90's Clay
10-28-2012, 01:30 PM
You should go back and watch Roddick, Hewitt, Davydenko, Gonzalez, and Safin.

They actually played well in that era....comparable to Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, Tsonga and Ferrer in this era.

None of those guys are on par to even Murray this year or Djoker last year, or Nadal in 2008-2011. Barring Safin in 2005.. But his peak was a cup of coffee.

TennisLovaLova
10-28-2012, 01:44 PM
I think his comeback matches vs haas in RG 09 And davydenko in AO10 were really something special

His best performance?
Maybe his win over sampras at wimbledon

MarianArg
10-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Wimbledon 2003 semis, uso 2004 final, ao 2007. AO 2010 was pretty good too, not prime level but his highest level as of late, in my opinion.

MarianArg
10-28-2012, 01:59 PM
By the way, i'm just listing the slams performances of the top of my head there, he did have some killing performances at the wtf such as the blake match, which was almost perfect if not perfect.