PDA

View Full Version : Solinco and technifibre

MikeHitsHard93
10-28-2012, 06:43 AM
Why is there not much talk about these rackets?

Roger Wawrinka
10-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Solinco I believe is farly new at making racquets, but there string is great!

Tecnifibre racquets are very big in Europe, and are seen a lot on the national junior, future, and challenger levels. They also, make very quality string as well.

I use the Tecnifibre 325 vo2 max and I love it:)

But you are right about Tecnfiibre not getting talked about often, they are such good racquets.

zapvor
10-28-2012, 09:18 PM
i have a solinco pro 10. awesome stick. its a radical replica haha

tecnifibre is great. just too stiff for my taste

MikeHitsHard93
10-29-2012, 03:14 AM
i have a solinco pro 10. awesome stick. its a radical replica haha

tecnifibre is great. just too stiff for my taste

I have no problems with stiffness...yet ;) lets hope I never do. I was looking at the pro 8s yesterday. Almost same specs to a instinct except tight pattern

rafafan20
10-29-2012, 05:30 AM
I use the tfight vo2 max 320 and its great, don't know why it doesn't get much press.

suppawat
10-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Both Technifibre and Solinco have good reputation in their string products. I think most of their effort go to string products.

I tried Technifibre TF335/325VO2Max and Solinco Tour 8,10 racquets before. They are good racquets but they are not for me. I prefer soft solid feel of Donnay racquets. May be I am getting old and need something softer.

I worked with a lot of junior players in Thailand. A lot of them like the modern stable feel of Solinco racquets. I am not 100% sure why. It could be the combination of feel and ball striking sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0tkgovmxr8

ollinger
10-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Why WOULD there be much talk about them? For the size of the market, there's quite a few manufacturers of racquets presently. What does either of these brands bring that's unique? I've used four or five Tecnfibre racquets and found nothing especially unique about them except for an annoying metallic feel. Likewise Solinco, which even a fan described in this thread as a Radical clone. To enter a well established and very populated market, you need to either bring something special or to undercut the others on price. Neither of these seems to do that.

ollinger
10-29-2012, 01:14 PM
(note: both companies also have very limited offerings in this market: Solinco with three 98 sq.in. racquets, Tecnifibre with a bunch of 95s and a few others.)

cluckcluck
10-29-2012, 01:28 PM
I like the specs of the Solinco Pro 8 but it's an 18.20 which is a pattern I don't like. If they came out with a 16.19 version, I would really think about trying one.

mlocke1322
10-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Solinco DOES have a 16x19 racquet. It is called the Tour series and it comes in Tour 7, Tour 8, Tour 10 and Tour 10x. The only difference between the Tour and Pro series from them is the string patterns. I am the distributor for them in my area and have sold way more Tour frames than Pro. For whatever reason, it is not offered on any retail sites and it is not listed on Solinco's website. But it does exist......

MikeHitsHard93
10-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Solinco DOES have a 16x19 racquet. It is called the Tour series and it comes in Tour 7, Tour 8, Tour 10 and Tour 10x. The only difference between the Tour and Pro series from them is the string patterns. I am the distributor for them in my area and have sold way more Tour frames than Pro. For whatever reason, it is not offered on any retail sites and it is not listed on Solinco's website. But it does exist......

I would be very interested in the tour 8. Sw is a little low on the pro 8, so is it similar to the tour?

mlocke1322
10-29-2012, 02:21 PM
I really like the Tour 8 but I would add a bit of lead to it. Very solid, clean feeling racquet IMO. Less jarring on off-center hits than my Max200G's. The Tour had a write up on Tennis.com earlier in the year and they said it was a great starting point for customizing. I'll have to check the specs of my Tour 8 when I get it back from being demo'ed but i think other than string pattern, it's identical to the Pro.

cluckcluck
10-29-2012, 02:21 PM

Then Solinco doesn't actually have a 16x19 frame.

mlocke1322
10-29-2012, 02:30 PM
There is a difference between something not existing and not being advertised. I don't know why they haven't marketed the Tour series as it is a solid playing, spin friendly frame. It has sold well since I got demos out so I don't have an answer as to what they are waiting for.

F. Perry
10-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Why WOULD there be much talk about them? For the size of the market, there's quite a few manufacturers of racquets presently. What does either of these brands bring that's unique? I've used four or five Tecnfibre racquets and found nothing especially unique about them except for an annoying metallic feel. Likewise Solinco, which even a fan described in this thread as a Radical clone. To enter a well established and very populated market, you need to either bring something special or to undercut the others on price. Neither of these seems to do that.

There's no reason to play with a racket unless you like the way it feels and you like the way it plays. I spent a lot of time hitting with rackets by Wilson, Babolat, Donnay, Head, Prince, and Volkl, and the TF, for my game, was far superior to the other sticks; for you the racket was unremarkable, for me it's the stick I miss when I play with one of the rackets that you presumably prefer.

mlocke1322
10-30-2012, 07:53 AM
In case anybody hasn't seen them before:

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/7766/img00961t.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/img00961t.jpg/)

cluckcluck
10-30-2012, 08:05 AM

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/7766/img00961t.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/img00961t.jpg/)

Thanks for sharing. One question, how did you get your hands on them if they're not listed on Solinco's site and not available to purchase?

MikeHitsHard93
10-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Thanks for sharing. One question, how did you get your hands on them if they're not listed on Solinco's site and not available to purchase?

He's a distributor in his area

Roger Wawrinka
10-30-2012, 08:11 AM
(note: both companies also have very limited offerings in this market: Solinco with three 98 sq.in. racquets, Tecnifibre with a bunch of 95s and a few others.)

Yea, I know Tecnifibre has other racquets and other models that are produced and sold in Europe only. Maybe they will come around this market someday.

rafafan20
10-30-2012, 08:38 AM

This is a little bit unfair -- I would see it as the big brands make a bunch of junk and tfibre rackets are actually well made. In terms of the big manufacturers Head's grip shape doesn't work for me, Wilson makes junk, Bab rackets are built poorly and rackets w/in same model vary in weight and Prince hasn't made a good racket for 4-5 years. Brands like Volkl, Yonex and not Tfibre make the best rackets, and Tfibre rackets offer more power and stiffness than the Volkl and Yonex rackets, thus I think they fit into the market quite well. A local store by me has started carrying all the Tfibre rackets and they have been selling well.

zapvor
10-30-2012, 10:07 AM
I have no problems with stiffness...yet ;) lets hope I never do. I was looking at the pro 8s yesterday. Almost same specs to a instinct except tight pattern

i really want a pro8-lighter for me

MikeHitsHard93
10-30-2012, 10:18 AM
i really want a pro8-lighter for me

Yeah I'm sticking around 11oz

Roger Wawrinka
10-30-2012, 11:23 AM
^^ Could not agree more. Tecnifibre does make the best quality racquets I think. I love the 325 because I love stiff racquets and that is the perfect one. I even add lead on the sides to make it even stiffer.

P.S Do you guys think Tecnifibre's head size is a little off. Do you think the 95s are more like 98s?

TheLambsheadrep
10-31-2012, 06:07 AM
Hit with the TFight 335 this Sunday and I love it. It came with gosen og sheep micro 18g which I've always wanted to try (well, 17g that is), and it was a softer string bed than I like but still great string. I was hitting so consistently i surprised myself, even out of position shots where put back into play with great pace. The serve was a little soft, but I'll say it's the strings. So far, so so so good :)

aussierocks
10-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Yes the head size stamped on the sticks seems out. They do look like 98 inch size sticks but are stamped 95".
Some very very exciting stuff happening with Tec, stay tuned!

Roger Wawrinka
10-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks Aussierocks, how do you know that there is very exciting stuff happening?

Chotobaka
10-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Hit with the TFight 335 this Sunday and I love it. It came with gosen og sheep micro 18g which I've always wanted to try (well, 17g that is), and it was a softer string bed than I like but still great string. I was hitting so consistently i surprised myself, even out of position shots where put back into play with great pace. The serve was a little soft, but I'll say it's the strings. So far, so so so good :)

Best Tecnifibre racquet ever. A baseline guy's best friend.

Don't Let It Bounce
10-31-2012, 11:21 PM
I hit with a lighter Solinco – I think it was the Pro 7 – and found it far more solid-feeling and pleasant than I normally find light frames to be. My arm would never tolerate a frame that stiff, but the rest of me liked it fine.

The T-Fight 325 (pre-VO2) is a very sweet hit. I've never hit with a PT57A, but it's been described as being like a 27.4" version of it, and the specs – 346 g, 12 pt HL, SW 335, RA 59, 20 mm, 18x20 – are very much in that neighborhood. I also tested the T-Flash 315 VO2, the one from the Fischer Pro No. 1 mold, and I loved the way (not just the degree to which) the frame flexed.

I haven't hit with the stiffer TF's, which is almost all of them, but I would expect that, as with the Solinco, I'd enjoy them and my arm wouldn't.

RollTrackTake
11-01-2012, 08:10 AM

Those look really nice. Anyway to find out if there is a rep in my area with demos?

TheLambsheadrep
11-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Best Tecnifibre racquet ever. A baseline guy's best friend.

I haven't hit with any other TF racquet, but I find it hard to imagine there's a better one out there. everything from the base line and volleys where so nice, can't wait to get some of my own string in there

mlocke1322
11-01-2012, 09:30 AM
RollTrackTake:

I'm not sure other than calling or emailing them directly. I don't really know how many distributors they actually use. My work with them came about through a relationship with them I initiated on behalf of my office originally. The Tours are nice sticks so I hope somebody near you has one that you can try out!

suppawat
11-01-2012, 09:34 AM
The Tour Series racquets are in 16x19 string pattern, and more head light than Pro Series. I hit both series and found similarity in ball hitting sound, firm feeling and excellent stability. The Ni-Mesh material is pretty interesting in the way it stabilizes the frame. All Solinco frames are more stable than other racquets in the same weight.

https://xh9lgq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pW9E-k9PWOMtY3S330CauVADIjbBkMu-mKLHGFWpaVO2NwgBVSXkVc9YVzSq-Cywzy6NJX5sA-oKlvYJV27nVu0fWVeEGM34U/Solinco_Tour_8_01.JPG
https://xh9lgq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p6zyfz_K7NSGs4LP-ln05dc15wcLc4xmpPwQgz8Z_q1EFa1oLL8-SPG9kWcvN8gaU9_AUXDrajJP0DbQyXtqwlRdOfz22yPOl/Solinco_Tour_8_03.JPG

DoloTennis
11-01-2012, 09:48 AM
^^ Could not agree more. Tecnifibre does make the best quality racquets I think. I love the 325 because I love stiff racquets and that is the perfect one. I even add lead on the sides to make it even stiffer.

P.S Do you guys think Tecnifibre's head size is a little off. Do you think the 95s are more like 98s?
I'd never heard of lead tape additions increasing the actual stiffness of the frame.... Can you explain this?

Roger Wawrinka
11-01-2012, 12:29 PM
^I worded that wrong, if you add lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock the racquet will feel more stable not stiff, sorry about that.:)

zapvor
11-01-2012, 04:34 PM
I hit with a lighter Solinco – I think it was the Pro 7 – and found it far more solid-feeling and pleasant than I normally find light frames to be. My arm would never tolerate a frame that stiff, but the rest of me liked it fine.

The T-Fight 325 (pre-VO2) is a very sweet hit. I've never hit with a PT57A, but it's been described as being like a 27.4" version of it, and the specs – 346 g, 12 pt HL, SW 335, RA 59, 20 mm, 18x20 – are very much in that neighborhood. I also tested the T-Flash 315 VO2, the one from the Fischer Pro No. 1 mold, and I loved the way (not just the degree to which) the frame flexed.

I haven't hit with the stiffer TF's, which is almost all of them, but I would expect that, as with the Solinco, I'd enjoy them and my arm wouldn't.

the solincos arent stiff at all. at least the ones i hit with

zapvor
11-01-2012, 04:35 PM
The Tour Series racquets are in 16x19 string pattern, and more head light than Pro Series. I hit both series and found similarity in ball hitting sound, firm feeling and excellent stability. The Ni-Mesh material is pretty interesting in the way it stabilizes the frame. All Solinco frames are more stable than other racquets in the same weight.

https://xh9lgq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pW9E-k9PWOMtY3S330CauVADIjbBkMu-mKLHGFWpaVO2NwgBVSXkVc9YVzSq-Cywzy6NJX5sA-oKlvYJV27nVu0fWVeEGM34U/Solinco_Tour_8_01.JPG
[img]ht]

thats the new one! man i want to try it

Mig1NC
11-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Can you ellobrate on the last sentance there?

TheLambsheadrep
11-03-2012, 09:19 AM
How does the old TFight 325 compare to the old 335 spec and playability-wise?

Don't Let It Bounce
11-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Can you ellobrate on the last sentance ("All Solinco frames are more stable than other racquets in the same weight.") there?I can't speak for Suppawat, but he probably means that the Solinco rackets are, in stock form, stable the same way the early Wilson rackets with PWS were, way back when the PWS actually added a significant amount of weight to 3:00 and 9:00. Nickel is a fairly heavy metal, especially compared to the carbon composite that makes up the rest of the frame, so having it at 3:00 and 9:00 increases the twistweight of the racket.

There's nothing magical about nickel apart from its mass: as with the old Prince Triple Threat system, lead in the same place does the same thing. (Doesn't look as cool, though.)

Since most players are reluctant to mess with lead tape, I think it's a good engineering idea – even if it is a somewhat cheesy and misleading marketing approach.

Mig1NC
11-10-2012, 03:06 AM
That's interesting. According to the TWU tests it seems to have a fairly small twistweight compared to similar racquets.
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/contours.php

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to understand his comment because I respect you guy's opinions.

rosen88
11-10-2012, 05:11 AM
That's interesting. According to the TWU tests it seems to have a fairly small twistweight compared to similar racquets.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to understand his comment because I respect you guy's opinions.

I have tried the 8 and 10 both in Pro versions and Tour versions and they are indeed more stable than most of the stock racquets available today. They feel more stable and at the same time more flexible than anything I have had hit with in the last couple of years. I would say that they are more like an old ProStaff 6.1 Classic, a Head Prestige made in Austria or a PT57A or E in terma of feel.

One more interesting thing about Solinco is that all their racquets have a grip pallet made out of graphite... or more exactly they dont have a pallet underneath the grip. The frame is just continuing under the grip until the butcap. I have no idea what this translates to in performance, but I think that Solinco make some very interested, high quality racquets that are worth a try.

No gimmicks just graphite and nickel, the right weight and balance, and good quality control in my opinion.

suppawat
11-10-2012, 05:51 AM
Can you ellobrate on the last sentance there?

I played several mid plus racquets weighed ranging from 270-320g in the past few years. When I compared Head Radical MP/Dunlop 300 Tour to Solinco Pro 8, or Head Prestige MP to Solinco Pro 10, Solinco racquets are slightly underpowered but much more stable. The racquets barely twist on hard hitting groundstroke. In Pro series, the racquets are not so head light. So it could be weight distribution or material that makes the racquet stable. Now they come out with Tour series and the racquets are more head light. Same great stability is still there, so now I think it could be material.

Solinco also uses the Ni-Mesh material in their badminton racquets. Same thing happens, the racquets are more stable than many other racquets.

https://wr9aja.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pEIGegZ_ThHIgnRdFwCFLnL8becOTP0GBOim-ib2KTXKFClbPXELNnnYJ49XAtLL5T6viJHeMwa4y27LU61Mulh XZyIkyJV6g/Solinco_Badminton_01.JPG

Don't Let It Bounce
11-11-2012, 03:00 AM

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to understand his comment because I respect you guy's opinions.I understand, and it's a good point.

"Similar racquets" in this context means two especially important factors: how much weight is in the head (corresponds very roughly to swing weight) and – this one is huge - how wide the racket face is. The twistweight calculation includes mass that is off the center line, and it also includes – squared! – how far off the center line that mass is. That's why the oversize rackets dominate the twistweight ratings even when they don't have much swing weight.

Looking at the twistweights (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/twistweight.cgi), the Pro 8 is an anemic 9.98: the test racket has a swing weight of only 297, and the Solinco Pro mold is a little narrow in the face for a 98. (I measured the Pro 7 as being only 240 mm across the face, more typical of a 95.) It would take a lot of nickel at 3 & 9 to get a good twistweight out of that, but I do note that the other really miserable twistweight on that list, the K-Blade Tour's 9.84, comes with a swing weight of 315, so it looks like the nickel might help.

The Pro 10's twistweight of 13.27 is pretty decent considering that the test frame they used had a swingweight of only 330, when the average for the Pro 10 is a whopping 345 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Solinco_Pro_10/descpageRCSOLINCO-SPRO10.html). It seems to compare OK with frames around that swing weight and head size but not to dominate, so maybe there isn't enough nickel there to make a difference among player's rackets.

slice bh compliment
11-11-2012, 03:06 AM
re: Ni-mesh

... isn't enough nickel there to make a difference among player's rackets.

Yeah, so, I just taped two nickels to my sticks. Actually my son's coach did. On at 10 o'clock the other around lunchtime. He only charged my $2 in parts and $3 in labor.

allan76
11-21-2012, 05:35 AM
Likewise Solinco, which even a fan described in this thread as a Radical clone. To enter a well established and very populated market, you need to either bring something special or to undercut the others on price.

Im not quite sure what you mean by the Solinco sticks being Radical clones. The player's frame in their lineup, the tour 10, while being similar in head size and string pattern to the radical, is substantially stiffer (a wet noodle vs an uncooked one is a good comparison) with a SW that is also much higher.
Furthermore, while those racquets have a Babolat-esque stiffness level, the nickel mesh allowed the company to keep the racquet rather thin.

Ive played with both sticks in the past and my experiences with both are quite different. I play with heavy topspin on my forehand and the Radical made it quite difficult to hit a deep ball, while the Tour 10 offered crushing power and that solid feel that came with the thin beam and high stiffness level, with it's tighter pattern not hindering topspin production in the least

allan76
11-21-2012, 05:53 AM
I can't speak for Suppawat, but he probably means that the Solinco rackets are, in stock form, stable the same way the early Wilson rackets with PWS were, way back when the PWS actually added a significant amount of weight to 3:00 and 9:00. Nickel is a fairly heavy metal, especially compared to the carbon composite that makes up the rest of the frame, so having it at 3:00 and 9:00 increases the twistweight of the racket.

There's nothing magical about nickel apart from its mass: as with the old Prince Triple Threat system, lead in the same place does the same thing. (Doesn't look as cool, though.)

Since most players are reluctant to mess with lead tape, I think it's a good engineering idea – even if it is a somewhat cheesy and misleading marketing approach.
Completely with what you say.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I think the technology also allows Solinco to manufacture thinner, more player frames while maintaining a high stiffness rating that contributes to the stable feel.

If you look around, most racquets of similar stiffness ratings (The puredrives come to mind) are fat and hollow feeling.

pkshooter
11-21-2012, 04:53 PM
I own a solinco pro 10, and despite the specs, it doesn't feel at all like the micro gel and liquid metal radicals or mid plus prestige. The solinco has a solid meaty feel. Yet it really swallows the ball and spits it out with a nice pop.

hersito
11-21-2012, 06:20 PM
I play with a MG radical MP and like the blx 98, I would love to try a solinco 10 pro, like the specs and looks really nice too.

pkshooter
11-22-2012, 11:54 AM
One more interesting thing about Solinco is that all their racquets have a grip pallet made out of graphite... or more exactly they dont have a pallet underneath the grip. The frame is just continuing under the grip until the butcap. I have no idea what this translates to in performance

Lol my solinco was the first racket I pulled the grip off on, so I was freaked out when I did the same on another racket and found plastic under the grip.

pkshooter
11-22-2012, 11:58 AM

https://xh9lgq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p6zyfz_K7NSGs4LP-ln05dc15wcLc4xmpPwQgz8Z_q1EFa1oLL8-SPG9kWcvN8gaU9_AUXDrajJP0DbQyXtqwlRdOfz22yPOl/Solinco_Tour_8_03.JPG
Lol look at the first pic, so nice of them to provide a stencil...:) clever.

Kal-El 34
11-22-2012, 01:12 PM
http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr320/Kal-El34/2012-11-14_12-25-22_480.jpg

solinco next to my donnay x-platinum 94. i like the more balanced feel of the first line. Pretty stable frame. Good swingweight, but doesn't feel too heavy, even at around 340g. I prefer the x-platinum though