PDA

View Full Version : Federer pulls out of Paris, Novak 2012 No1

Achilles82
10-28-2012, 11:38 AM
http://sports.ndtv.com/tennis/news/item/198547-roger-federer-to-skip-paris-masters

Congrats to Novak Djokovic!

veroniquem
10-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Djokovic would have taken it anyway and he totally deserves it. Thank you Fed for bowing down. The best player of the year in slams always deserves the #1 in my opinion. 2012 may not have been as good as 2011 for Novak (how could it have been?) but still a great year with a slam and 3 master titles + great consistency throughout, well done!

Carsomyr
10-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Good decision not to overplay. Congrats to Djokovic. Well earned with his good run at the end of the year.

Achilles82
10-28-2012, 11:45 AM
2012 may not have been as good as 2011 for Novak (how could it have been?) but still a great year with a slam and 3 master titles + great consistency throughout, well done!

You know what's weird. If Novak wins Paris and WTF (it's possible...), he will have more points, and more prize money then in 2011. So technically, this could be Novaks best year ever :)

Hawkeye7
10-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Expected. It was almost set in stone after Shanghai.

Carsomyr
10-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Djokovic would have taken it anyway and he totally deserves it. Thank you Fed for bowing down. The best player of the year in slams always deserves the #1 in my opinion. 2012 may not have been as good as 2011 for Novak (how could it have been?) but still a great year with a slam and 3 master titles + great consistency throughout, well done!

So Agassi was actually the #1 player of 2001. I'll send him a postcard informing him!

veroniquem
10-28-2012, 11:56 AM
You know what's weird. If Novak wins Paris and WTF (it's possible...), he will have more points, and more prize money then in 2011. So technically, this could be Novaks best year ever :)

Well, prize money is not what determines best season. There is nothing that he could do this year at this point that would beat 3 slams and 5 masters. Still, it's nice that he was able to confirm that 2011 was not a "fluke" season.

Clarky21
10-28-2012, 11:56 AM

Why do you always show up after a Fed loss? Serious question.

veroniquem
10-28-2012, 11:58 AM
So Agassi was actually the #1 player of 2001. I'll send him a postcard informing him!
I wish! I was a huge Agassi fan. In my heart, he was always #1.

ALL IN
10-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Why do you always show up after a Fed loss? Serious question.

Why do you post 10 times a day(on average) and never offer anything relevant? Serious question.

sureshs
10-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Federer can't take it any more

Sid_Vicious
10-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Must be because of the stringent drug-testing at Paris this year.

cork_screw
10-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Anyone know if fed can move back to no.1 with any results at wtf?

Mainad
10-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Anyone know if fed can move back to no.1 with any results at wtf?

Don't think so as Fed is defending champion at the WTF so he can't actually gain any points there.

batz
10-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Don't think so as Fed is defending champion at the WTF so he can't actually gain any points there.

It's even simpler than that. Roger is currently around 2000 points behind Noel in the race - but the only remaining event (for Roger) has 1500 points on offer - so even if Nole doesn't win another match this year, he'll finish YE number 1. Many congrats to him.

Povl Carstensen
10-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Federer can't take it any moreYes, he is 64-9 for the year (the best in 5 years), nr 1. in the world and just lost in a final, he is gone.

Candide
10-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Sad but not surprising. It would have taken a Herculean effort from Federer and he would still have been depending on Djokovic to turn in some third rate work. It's a fair end to the year and in a way it's good - it allows Fed to relax and focus solely on the WTF. It should be a cracker of a competition. The de facto fifth slam. The list of names of past winners is a roll of tennis royalty. If he can win it one more time it will blow the socks off his knockers surely.

Pouet156
10-28-2012, 02:24 PM
I think it was over back at the US Open when Roger lost in the QF... sadly.
I hope he'll get away with the WTF though.
And that he'll still put up a fight for #1 next year.

BauerAlmeida
10-28-2012, 02:36 PM

Wow, that's strange :-?.

Mustard
10-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Wow, that's strange :-?.

Djokovic's form in 2011 was brilliant up to winning the US Open. After that, the rest of 2011 was poor, getting a 6-4 win-loss record for the rest of the year, while Federer won many titles in that period. Djokovic's 2011 win-loss record after winning the US Open was 64-2, but by the end of the year, it was 70-6.

Gonzo_style
10-28-2012, 02:41 PM

Possible but 3>1, btw if Novak wins Paris and WTFs, no way he would lose #1 untill USO 2013!

Hood_Man
10-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Oh well, it's not like Federer really did anything wrong, he actually had an amazing year.

It's only by the standard Djokovic raised in January-September last year that this season could be seen as a disappointment for the guy, he's been so incredibly consistent. Well done Novak :)

Tomxc
10-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Records for prize money are a bit pointless if inflation isn't taken into account, and there's really no way to accurately compare prize money between now and the past.

chrisberchris
10-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Federer's record this year is pretty impressive, but I have to hand it to Djoker! He definitely deserves it

roundiesee
10-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Yes, agree with all the posters here; Congrats to Nole, and also to Juan Martin who played a superb match yesterday! Tough luck for Roger, but he will always have that great Wimbledon moment this year! Can't win 'em all! :)

merwy
10-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Djokovic's form in 2011 was brilliant up to winning the US Open. After that, the rest of 2011 was poor, getting a 6-4 win-loss record for the rest of the year, while Federer won many titles in that period. Djokovic's 2011 win-loss record after winning the US Open was 64-2, but by the end of the year, it was 70-6.

Yeah, but even if you take into account the bad ending of 2011, it still seems very weird to me that he could win more points this year than in 2011 when he won 3 grand slams in 2011 and only one this year. Did he win that many smaller tournaments this year? Because it's not like he only won GSs in 2011, he had that crazy winning streak where he took all of the indian wells-miami-MC-Rome masters. Those are a lot of points that he didn't take this year.

ledwix
10-28-2012, 04:53 PM
There is nothing that he could do this year at this point that would beat 3 slams and 5 masters.

He really won 3 slams and 5 masters last year? I watched all those finals last year and even attended one, but it's still hard to believe somehow..lol

merwy
10-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Possible but 3>1, btw if Novak wins Paris and WTFs, no way he would lose #1 untill USO 2013!

TT will make another thread called "Race to Shanghai" but dedicated to Djokovic instead of Federer..

Netspirit
10-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Good move by Federer. The guy never wants to play for something that is not on his racket. Djokovic can actually drop his intensity at the WTF since his #1 spot is secured, which can help Federer achieve the unachievable - SEVEN ATP final titles (second only to his seven Wimbledons).

I wonder if we are about to witness Federer's last ever week at #1 - the very end of a humongous, record-breaking 300+something run that nobody will ever see again.

Mustard
10-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, but even if you take into account the bad ending of 2011, it still seems very weird to me that he could win more points this year than in 2011 when he won 3 grand slams in 2011 and only one this year. Did he win that many smaller tournaments this year? Because it's not like he only won GSs in 2011, he had that crazy winning streak where he took all of the indian wells-miami-MC-Rome masters. Those are a lot of points that he didn't take this year.

Here's a list of Djokovic results in 2011 and 2012:

Won the Australian Open
Won Dubai
Won Indian Wells
Won Miami
Won Belgrade
Won Madrid
Won Rome
SF at the French Open
Won Wimbledon
Won Montreal
RU in Cincinnati
Won the US Open
SF in Basel
QF in Paris Indoor
RR exit at the World Tour Finals (won 1, lost 2)

Won the Australian Open
SF in Dubai
SF in Indian Wells
Won Miami
RU in Monte Carlo
QF in Madrid
RU in Rome
RU at the French Open
SF at Wimbledon
SF at the London Olympics (lost third place play off)
Won Toronto
RU in Cincinnati
RU at the US Open
Won in Beijing
Won in Shanghai

dhdriver
10-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Here's a list of Djokovic results in 2011 and 2012:

Won the Australian Open
Won Dubai
Won Indian Wells
Won Miami
Won Belgrade
Won Madrid
Won Rome
SF at the French Open
Won Wimbledon
Won Montreal
RU in Cincinnati
Won the US Open
SF in Basel
QF in Paris Indoor
RR exit at the World Tour Finals (won 1, lost 2)

Won the Australian Open
SF in Dubai
SF in Indian Wells
Won Miami
RU in Monte Carlo
QF in Madrid
RU in Rome
RU at the French Open
SF at Wimbledon
SF at the London Olympics (lost third place play off)
Won Toronto
RU in Cincinnati
RU at the US Open
Won in Beijing
Won in Shanghai

That's pretty damn consistent. Novak's earliest loss so far this year was a QF lost in Madrid. Pretty good year.

RF20Lennon
10-28-2012, 05:32 PM
It's even simpler than that. Roger is currently around 2000 points behind Noel in the race - but the only remaining event (for Roger) has 1500 points on offer - so even if Nole doesn't win another match this year, he'll finish YE number 1. Many congrats to him.

Nole has to make it to the Paris final in order to get the #1 ranking

Tony48
10-28-2012, 06:22 PM
That's pretty damn consistent. Novak's earliest loss so far this year was a QF lost in Madrid. Pretty good year.

That IS very impressive. Has anyone else ever finished the year without losing before the QF in a tournament?

I was checking out Fed's 2005 and he made at least the QFs in every event played (although he skipped 4 Masters: Rome, Canada, Madrid & Paris).

If Novak makes the semis at Paris (and technically the WTF, even though there is no QF round), he will have done the same. But Djokovic will have played 17 tournaments while Fed only played 15.

Gonzo_style
10-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Nole has to make it to the Paris final in order to get the #1 ranking

No, Djokovic will be #1 on 5th november even if he lose in R2 Paris.

Gonzo_style
10-28-2012, 06:24 PM
That IS very impressive. Has anyone else ever finished the year without losing before the QF in a tournament?

I was checking out Fed's 2005 and he made at least the QFs in every event played (although he skipped 4 Masters: Rome, Canada, Madrid & Paris).

If Novak makes the semis at Paris (and technically the WTF, even though there is no QF round), he will have done the same. But Djokovic will have played 17 tournaments while Fed only played 15.

No, Fed lost to Gasquet in Rome and i think that was before QF...

Mustard
10-28-2012, 06:28 PM
No, Fed lost to Gasquet in Rome and i think that was before QF...

That was 2005 Monte Carlo, in the quarter finals. Federer got revenge on Gasquet in the 2005 Hamburg final.

Nostradamus
10-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Novak can't be #1. He won the least prestigious aussie open. and he got lucky too. Wimbledon and US open the most important ones were won by someone else.

Gonzo_style
10-28-2012, 06:34 PM
That was 2005 Monte Carlo, in the quarter finals. Federer got revenge on Gasquet in the 2005 Hamburg final.

Right, I just checked, my mistake...

Gonzo_style
10-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Novak can't be #1. He won the least prestigious aussie open. and he got lucky too. Wimbledon and US open the most important ones were won by someone else.

AO-2000 ATP points
W- 2000 ATP points
USO-2000 ATP points

And Djokovic have a best results this year in GS and Masters tournaments...

dhdriver
10-28-2012, 06:48 PM

The other day I was pondering about who each of the top four lost to this year.

I believe the lowest ranked player each player loss to this year were:

Federer loss to Andy Roddick
Djokovic loss to John Isner
Nadal loss to Rosol
Murray loss to Garcia-Lopez, Mahut, and Chardy. Not sure which one was ranked lower when Andy loss to them.

To me I think Roger, Nole, and Rafa all loss those matches cause their opponents were playing out of their mind (well not sure about Isner but Andy and Rosol definitely were).

Paullaconte1
10-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Great year from both Djokovic and Federer. I think it is right it will end like this

Amelie Mauresmo
10-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Novak was more consistent than Federer this year in the grand scheme of things. Novak reached three out of the four grand slam finals and he won the Australian Open and reached the semifinals of Wimbledon.

Federer is a great champion but it is great that a YOUNGER MAN is number one.

Also, I love Novak's personality he's a great spoken person for the game he's friendly, intelligent, cute, and has an outgoing sunny disposition.

Federer comes across as arrogant, aloof, and also too media trained.

oy vey
10-28-2012, 06:57 PM

Right, so unprestigious that both Murray and Fed cried on stage when they lost it.:)

dudeski
10-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Why do you post 10 times a day(on average) and never offer anything relevant? Serious question.

Nice one :)

10clarky21isatroll

oy vey
10-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Great year from both Djokovic and Federer. I think it is right it will end like this

Does Novak get any money for this achievement?

Sabratha
10-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Except this year he's gotta fight off Murray.

roberttennis54
10-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Djokovic deserves no 1 anyway. Though if Federer were to win the WTF then I might switch and say Federer deserved no 1 in the end. However, I think that is unlikely.

Federer did the right thing. He needs to focus on extending his playing career by carefully planning his schedule. Whilst his fans should be happy to see him continue.

Steve Dykstra
10-28-2012, 09:36 PM
He did have a pretty awful draw in Paris and just came off a tough loss to Del Potro, so I don't blame him. He has to pick and choose his battles at this point.

vernonbc
10-28-2012, 09:39 PM

Rafa almost did it in 2010. If it hadn't been for a R16 upset to Melzer, he would have.
Doha - F
AO - Q
IW - S
Miami - S
Monte Carlo - W
Rome - W
Madrid - W
FO - W
Queens - Q
Wimbledon - W
Canada - S
Cincinnati - Q
USO - W
Bangkok - S
Tokyo - W
Shanghai - R16
WTF - F

not_federer
10-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Federer, 2005. 4 losses - sf AO, sf FO, final wtf, and qf monte Carlo (gasquet)

Mainad
10-28-2012, 10:49 PM
The other day I was pondering about who each of the top four lost to this year.

I believe the lowest ranked player each player loss to this year were:

Federer loss to Andy Roddick
Djokovic loss to John Isner
Nadal loss to Rosol
Murray loss to Garcia-Lopez, Mahut, and Chardy. Not sure which one was ranked lower when Andy loss to them.

For Federer it was Tommy Haas who was ranked #87 when he lost to him at Halle. For Murray, it was Garcia-Lopez who was ranked #92 when he lost to him at Indian Wells.

To me I think Roger, Nole, and Rafa all loss those matches cause their opponents were playing out of their mind (well not sure about Isner but Andy and Rosol definitely were).

I actually think all those lower-ranked opponents played well at the time and deserved their victories. Djokovic and especially Murray were perhaps the only ones who were a bit sub-par in their losses.

NadalAgassi
10-28-2012, 10:53 PM
For Federer it was Tommy Haas who was ranked #87 when he lost to him at Halle. For Murray, it was Garcia-Lopez who was ranked #92 when he lost to him at Indian Wells.

Nadal's ground game was horrible at Wimbledon. Yes Rosol hitting so deep and hard was part of that, but even when he had midcourt balls he did nothing with them. I dont know what has happened to him since he used to play so agressive from the baseline on grass. Federer was totally owned from the baseline in both the 07 and 08 finals, only splitting 5 setters due to Federer's huge serving edge, and now Nadal plays like a pusher from the backcourt on grass like no other surface. IMO grass he seemed to peak in 07/08, and has been gradually declining since then. 2010 he was still pretty good, once he got past the first week rust. 2011 he was ok, but noticeably weaker, and 2012 really bad even had he made the 2nd week I doubt he would have done any better than the semis in that form.

Federer was playing like a weak pusher from the backourt on grass in 2010, sometimes in 2011, and even sometimes in 2009 though and regained his entire grass court game to its fullest this year, so perhaps there is hope for Nadal to find his 07/08 grass form again.

Tennis_Hands
10-29-2012, 12:28 AM

Are we going to be so lucky to see you bow down and vanish together with your snarky attitude?

:-?

Ms Nadal
10-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Wow! Just beacuse he lost in Basel ! Pathetic man. Such a sore loser.

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 01:24 AM
He's a sore loser because he wants to rest up for WTF?

Ms Nadal
10-29-2012, 01:37 AM

Fed hasn't been playing that great as he had this time last year. I don't think the WTFs is so much in the bag for him this year. As he isn't playing that well, but we will see.

tennis_pro
10-29-2012, 01:43 AM
Rafa almost did it in 2010. If it hadn't been for a R16 upset to Melzer, he would have.
Doha - F
AO - Q
IW - S
Miami - S
Monte Carlo - W
Rome - W
Madrid - W
FO - W
Queens - Q
Wimbledon - W
Canada - S
Cincinnati - Q
USO - W
Bangkok - S
Tokyo - W
Shanghai - R16
WTF - F

"Almost" means nothing in tennis. Federer "almost" won the Grand Slam twice in a row. See what I did there?

Tennis_Hands
10-29-2012, 04:26 AM
"Almost" means nothing in tennis. Federer "almost" won the Grand Slam twice in a row. See what I did there?

But she did it once again. Brought Nadal into the conversation, although it was not his place.

You know, Vamos Brigade.

TheMusicLover
10-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Congrats to Djokovic, as always, the guy who ends up with the most points won, is the deserved YE#1.

Yes, agree with all the posters here; Congrats to Nole, and also to Juan Martin who played a superb match yesterday! Tough luck for Roger, but he will always have that great Wimbledon moment this year! Can't win 'em all! :)

Exactly. Fed's already had an unbelieveable 2012, if anyone in January would have said to me that he'd be able to snatch back #1 and surpass Sampras' record, I'd would've called that person crazy. Good enough for me and hopefully to most other fans of his - and surely good enough for him. :)

cknobman
10-29-2012, 06:48 AM

I pretty much agree with you here for the most part.

Speaking of this in particular what kind of joke is it where Serena can win 2 GS, Olympic Gold, and the YEC and still finish #3!!!!

LOL. I know I know about the other tournaments arguments but still this is just pathetic.

Carsomyr
10-29-2012, 07:32 AM
I pretty much agree with you here for the most part.

Speaking of this in particular what kind of joke is it where Serena can win 2 GS, Olympic Gold, and the YEC and still finish #3!!!!

LOL. I know I know about the other tournaments arguments but still this is just pathetic.

Serena's a pretty clear cut case of being the de facto best women's player, but in a year when the GS tournies are split amongst four players, Grand Slam results as the sole basis for #1 is a pretty weak argument; Agassi and particularly Ferrero would have been ranked over Roddick (and Federer) in 2003, Agassi would have been ranked over Hewitt in 2001, and Sampras would have been ranked over Kuerten in 2000. All of the hypothetical usurpers didn't even finish second in the rankings in the respective years. Agassi in 2001 lost in the first or second round in eight of the eighteen tournaments he played that year; Sampras didn't even play 60 matches in 2000 and won only two titles. The four majors are far and away the most important events of the season, but they're only typically a quarter of the average top player's year. The other events exist for a reason.

That said, I do think Djokovic deserves the #1 spot this year.

RF007
10-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Official announcement from the ATP:

29 October 2012

DJOKOVIC TO FINISH NO. 1 IN SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS ATP RANKINGS FOR SECOND STRAIGHT SEASON
LONDON — Novak Djokovic has clinched the year-end No. 1 South African Airways ATP Ranking, becoming the first player to accomplish the feat in consecutive seasons since Roger Federer achieved four straight World No. 1 finishes from 2004-07.

Djokovic, who lost the World No. 1 ranking to the Swiss on 9 July following a 53-week reign, will reclaim the top spot on 5 November when Federer drops his points from his 2011 title wins at the Swiss Indoors Basel, BNP Paribas Masters and Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Federer will then not be able to earn enough South African Airways ATP Rankings points to finish the year ahead of Djokovic.

Last year, Djokovic became the first Serbian man to finish World No. 1 in the history of the South African Airways ATP Rankings (since 1973) with a 10-title effort, including three Grand Slam crowns. He first ascended to World No. 1 on 4 July, 2011, following his Wimbledon triumph. Only 16 different players have managed to finish year-end No. 1 in the 40-year history of the South African Airways ATP Rankings.

Djokovic has enjoyed another stellar season in 2012, opening his campaign with the successful defence of his title at the Australian Open. He has compiled a circuit-best 70-11 match record going into this week’s BNP Paribas Masters, where he will be looking to reach his seventh ATP World Tour Masters 1000 final of the season and add to his titles at the Sony Open Tennis in Miami, Rogers Cup in Toronto and Shanghai Rolex Masters. Djokovic also lifted the China Open trophy in Beijing and was a finalist at Roland Garros and the US Open.

The 25-year-old Serbian will be officially crowned as the year-end World No. 1 during a trophy presentation at the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals next week at The O2 in London. Djokovic will be competing at the prestigious season finale for a sixth straight year, and will be bidding to win the trophy for the second time following his victory in 2008.

Buy Tickets To See Djokovic At The Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.

ATP WORLD TOUR YEAR-END NO. 1

Year Player
2012 Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
2011 Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
2010 Rafael Nadal (Spain)
2009 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2008 Rafael Nadal (Spain)
2007 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2006 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2005 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2004 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2003 Andy Roddick (U.S.)
2002 Lleyton Hewitt (Australia)
2001 Lleyton Hewitt (Australia)
2000 Gustavo Kuerten (Brazil)
1999 Andre Agassi (U.S.)
1998 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1997 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1996 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1995 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1994 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1993 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1992 Jim Courier (U.S.)
1991 Stefan Edberg (Sweden)
1990 Stefan Edberg (Sweden)
1989 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1988 Mats Wilander (Sweden)
1987 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1986 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1985 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1984 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1983 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1982 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1981 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1980 Bjorn Borg (Sweden)
1979 Bjorn Borg (Sweden)
1978 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1977 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1976 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1975 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1974 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1973 Ilie Nastase (Romania)

Povl Carstensen
10-29-2012, 07:50 AM

Fed hasn't been playing that great as he had this time last year. I don't think the WTFs is so much in the bag for him this year. As he isn't playing that well, but we will see.Who said anything about it being in the bag?

RF20Lennon
10-29-2012, 08:16 AM

LOL your guy hasn't been back since he lost to a #100 ranked player since June and he's 26 fed is 31 I wouldn't be talking if I were you.

Carsomyr
10-29-2012, 08:53 AM

Or maybe it's because he would have had to play three weeks in a row. You don't think before you post, do you?

Towser83
10-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Sorry its you who's pathetic. pulling out of Paris has nothing to do with losing in basel, a 31 year old guy might not want to play a tough 3 setter then go straight to Paris and then straight to London and play 3 weeks in a row. players often pull out of events to take a week off.

Comical coming from a fan of a guy who pulled out of wimbledon after losing at rg and hasn't played since losing at wimbledon this year despite there being nothing about any injury before hand. suppose he was being a sore loser too by your logic.

Ms Nadal
10-29-2012, 10:04 AM
We don't have to agree here but Roger was planning on playing in Paris, wasn't he? So why the change of heart? He knew he would be playing three weeks in a row ages ago. He didn't play well in Basel and he isn't injured, so he didn't feel he would have a good week in Bercy. You don't need to agree with me. Suits me fine.:)

Towser83
10-29-2012, 10:13 AM
We don't have to agree here but Roger was planning on playing in Paris, wasn't he? So why the change of heart? He knew he would be playing three weeks in a row ages ago. He didn't play well in Basel and he isn't injured, so he didn't feel he would have a good week in Bercy. You don't need to agree with me. Suits me fine.:)

Players often drop a tournament they put down on a schedule according to how they feel at the time. maybe if he lost early or the final didn't take much out of him he might have played Paris. i guess you don't understand players make a schedule a year in advance? how do you know he isn't sore and needs rest? Just cos he doesn't call a press conference everytime he chips a nail lol.

Nadal has skipped god knows how many events and every time he has only pulled out shortly before hand. why is that? He only pulled out of Paris last week.

Yes we can disagree, but calling someone pathetic and a loser because they pulled out of an event is low behavior.

Btw you realise federer pulled out of halle in 2009 after WINNING RG? So even if he won basel he would have pulled out of Paris.

tennis_pro
10-29-2012, 10:24 AM

You'll understand that when you're 31 - that is 20 years from now as I assume you're 11 which explains your idiotic statements.

Carsomyr
10-29-2012, 10:25 AM

Your original post was so nonsensical I'm not sure anyone but veroniquem would agree with you. He's 31, had very little chance of reclaiming the top spot, and was expected to play three weeks in a row. Calling him a "sore loser" and "pathetic" because he pulled out of a harshly scheduled tournament is beyond absurd.

underground
10-29-2012, 12:42 PM

Federer has shown poor form throughout the week, and he probably realised himself that he couldn't even beat Delpo in his hometown, meaning that there's something wrong and he needs a rest.

Mustard
10-29-2012, 01:01 PM
ATP WORLD TOUR YEAR-END NO. 1

Year Player
2012 Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
2011 Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
2010 Rafael Nadal (Spain)
2009 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2008 Rafael Nadal (Spain)
2007 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2006 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2005 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2004 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2003 Andy Roddick (U.S.)
2002 Lleyton Hewitt (Australia)
2001 Lleyton Hewitt (Australia)
2000 Gustavo Kuerten (Brazil)
1999 Andre Agassi (U.S.)
1998 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1997 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1996 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1995 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1994 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1993 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1992 Jim Courier (U.S.)
1991 Stefan Edberg (Sweden)
1990 Stefan Edberg (Sweden)
1989 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1988 Mats Wilander (Sweden)
1987 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1986 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1985 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1984 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1983 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1982 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1981 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1980 Bjorn Borg (Sweden)
1979 Bjorn Borg (Sweden)
1978 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1977 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1976 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1975 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1974 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1973 Ilie Nastase (Romania)

1975, 1977, 1978, 1982 and 1989 are all wrong about who was the best player in the respective years, in my opinion. Here's my list:

Best amateur players per year in the pre-open era
1877: Spencer Gore
1878: Frank Hadow
1879: John Hartley
1880: John Hartley
1881: William Renshaw
1882: William Renshaw
1883: William Renshaw
1884: William Renshaw
1885: William Renshaw
1886: William Renshaw
1887: Herbert Lawford