PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of the GS Finals this year?

kaku
10-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Just like the title says, what did you think? Personally, I enjoyed all of them and I think that in terms of GS final matches 2012 is behind 2009 in recent years

Towser83
10-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Pretty good. AO and USO were epics, but actually this sort of tennis is starting to get too epic, cos every point last 10 mins :lol:

Wimbledon was good cos Murray put in his first impressive slam final performance and it made it more interesting.

RG got a bit ruined by getting delayed in the middle of it, would have been boring if not for the nadal wobble.

90's Clay
10-28-2012, 12:37 PM
AO- Great.. best match of the year by far
RG- Rain ruined it
Wimbleldon- Freakin snoozefest
USO- Good until Djoker got cramps. The quality of the match wasn't all that great overall

kaku
10-28-2012, 12:50 PM
For me:
AO-Best Final of the year
FO-Great Final, rain delay kinda ruined it
W-It was another great final, a lot riding on the line for both players
USO-2nd best final of the year for me, quality wasn't as high as their AO match, but the drama made up for it

Feņa14
10-28-2012, 01:37 PM
For me:
AO-Best Final of the year
FO-Great Final, rain delay kinda ruined it
W-It was another great final, a lot riding on the line for both players
USO-2nd best final of the year for me, quality wasn't as high as their AO match, but the drama made up for it

Same for me. It's a shame the wind took a bit away from the US Open final, it could of potentially been even better than their semi in Australia.

The Bawss
10-28-2012, 02:22 PM
AO and USO were too long and made me want to poke my eyes out with a spoon. Wimbledon was ok, not great and the FO was a major disappointment. Nole had that match.

Steve0904
10-28-2012, 02:29 PM
In terms of the history on the line this year was great. The AO final was great, but IMHO it's a little overrated. The RG final was the worst of the lot. I loved the Wimbledon final. Easily one of the biggest matches in tennis history. The USO final was ok. The wind hurt it a lot though.

TennisA
10-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Meh... 3/4 of the finals were way too long for me. I enjoyed Wimbledon, but the rest were just grindfests... I got so bored with the US Open final; I watched a few minutes of it every half hour or so.

Mainad
10-28-2012, 03:53 PM
In terms of excitement and interest, I rate them thus:

1. AO. Epic encounter. Even deep into the 5th set I was never sure who would win as Nadal established a lead and then Djokovic fought back. Could have gone either way. The only one of Djokovic's 3 Slam finals where his fightbacks proved successful. Also the only one of the 4 Slam finals that was not affected in any way by the weather.

2. USO. Another close, thrilling, down to the wire affair. Just when I thought Murray was on top after winning the first 2 sets, back comes Djokovic. Just when I thought Djokovic now had the upper hand, back comes Murray. 5th set was more of a one-sided affair than at the AO.

3. FO. Similar to the USO in that Nadal established an early dominance and then Djokovic mounted a fight-back to take the 3rd set. Was the rain-break solely responsible for stopping Djokovic's momentum or would Nadal have re-established his dominance anyway? Who can say?

4. Wimbledon. Murray showed great promise in the first 2 sets, taking the first and threatening to take the 2nd. Then the roof was closed due to weather concerns. Became a much more one-sided affair after that. Federer never looked back.

Mustard
10-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Australian Open: A classic, although I was gutted by how it ended

French Open: Superb match. Nadal makes yet more history with clay-court domination and ruins the Djokovic Slam.

Wimbledon: Federer rolls back the years and Murray left in tears. A good spectacle, with the Olympic final being the follow up

US Open: Great win for Murray, but the match quality was disappointing due to the windy conditions. I found the match hard to get engrossed in.

RF20Lennon
10-28-2012, 05:42 PM
AO- Amazing!! truely spectacular!! (although shouldve been couple hours shorter they take too much time b/w points
FO- was decent! (wish Djoker won the 4th )
W- My fav! Federer drops first set but comes through and wins! great shotmaking
USO- quality was alright but the Drama was what made it intense felt great for Muzza! :)

Dark Magician
10-28-2012, 09:15 PM
My ratings would be:-
1. AO final - One of the all time best. My heart seemed to fail multiple times in the 5th set.
2. Wimbledon - So much drama, so much hype, so much on the line. A loss would have been so devastating for both men.
3. USO final - Quality wasnt that great. But watching Novak win 3rd and 4th was amazing.
4. RG - Again the best part was Novak winning 6-7 games back to back. But Rafa Did come back strongly.

Colin
10-28-2012, 09:29 PM
All of them were too long but Wimbledon. I don't mind an epic encounter, but it needs to be epic in quality, not quantity. Too much grinding, too much time between points.

Wimbledon was by far the best in shotmaking. I'd say the other three were about equal. Maybe Australian Open, U.S. Open then French Open if I had to rank them.

joeri888
10-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Loved Wimbledon, hated the other 3. They were all ridiculous rallies in which defense almost always beat offense. Seriously considering stopping watching those matches. I'm not even bitter Federer wasn't in them. I just think hardcourt tennis is starting to be less and less cool.

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 12:39 AM
Wimbledon had a lot of sentimental value. US Open, too.

Steve0904
10-29-2012, 05:28 AM
All of them were too long but Wimbledon. I don't mind an epic encounter, but it needs to be epic in quality, not quantity. Too much grinding, too much time between points.

Wimbledon was by far the best in shotmaking. I'd say the other three were about equal. Maybe Australian Open, U.S. Open then French Open if I had to rank them.

Thank you. To be quite honest, I'll probably get told off, but I thought the USO final between Nadal and Djokovic in 2011 was better than the 2012 AO final. Of course, the stamina of both men was out of this world in the AO final, but I thought the rallies in the USO final were of better quality

zam88
10-29-2012, 06:22 AM
The AO was the very definition of "you CAN have too much of a good thing"

Sure it was epic... and I don't know how those guys maintained their physical level, let alone their mental concentration.... I couldn't keep my mental concentration up... i fast forwarded through a set and a half. I'd never watch that match again.

FO - ruined by the rain, predictable result.

Wimbledon - awesome, loved it... didn't take forever, pretty good drama, Federer pwned!

USO - monday final mid-afternoon meant i missed a lot of it. Overall it was my 2nd favorite final of the year.

cknobman
10-29-2012, 06:26 AM
AO: Too long
FO: Rain delay ruined it
WB: Pretty dang good first 2 sets but after that not so much.
USO: My favorite this year since we got to see Murray finally win a GS.

All in all I dont think the GS finals this year were anything special like they were in 2009 or 2011.

rafafan20
10-29-2012, 06:47 AM
AO and USO were both awesome. Didn't enjoy WB much and FO wasn't particularly exciting.

NDFM
10-29-2012, 06:47 AM
AO - What an epic, incredible comeback from Nole in the 5th set
FO - Great for a nadal fan, getting that 7th FO title (although if it didn't rain at all the final would have finished a lot quicker and on that Sunday, but it wasn't an amazing match especially when you compare their AO final)
WO - Great match, but i didn't like seeing Murray cry, i felt for him :(. Fed getting back to no.1 because of that win was great too
USO - Nole and Andy played it a little too safe at times but that was due to the wind (who remembers the 54 shot rally...), Djokovic leveling it to two sets all added to the drama of the match. I was happy to finally see Murray capture his first GS title, hopefully there is more to come. But here in the UK it was like 2AM when he finally won...I was tired :(

For me: AO>USO>FO=WO

Ico
10-29-2012, 06:53 AM
AO and Wimbledon were awesome. FO and USO were victims of the conditions.

NatF
10-29-2012, 06:58 AM
AO - An epic encounter, a physical battle. Joint first for me, the quality and drama were high and Noles fight back from 5-2 down in the fifth was great to behold.

FO - Marred by the rain. Pretty lackluster it didn't live up to the billing for me.

WO - Great match. Pretty unpredictable for the first 2 sets. Was great to see Andy fight hard and make some headway. Roger got his 7th Wimbledon too with some superb shot making. My other joint favorite pick.

USO - Lackluster tennis. Drama courtesy of Noles fightback but the wind forced them to play safe. Not a great match.

WO = AO > USO > FO

syc23
10-29-2012, 06:59 AM
AO and Wimbledon were awesome. FO and USO were victims of the conditions.

AO and Wimbledon were not 'victims' of the conditions because they have moved with the times and installed a roof.

Sour grapes that Nole couldn't beat Nadal & Murray in wind and rain? All 3 players played in the same conditions so no one was at an advantage.

underground
10-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Rosol ranks above all.

Mustard
10-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Rosol ranks above all.

What major final was he in? :confused:

tudwell
10-29-2012, 01:21 PM
I didn't see the Australian final live, so I can't really judge it, but it sounds like the most exciting and probably of the highest quality. (The highlights are sure fun to watch!) Of the others, Wimbledon was by far my favorite. Federer and Murray both played phenomenally. The French Open final was fun, but Djokovic started off both days so flat that the victor was never in doubt. The U.S. Open final had more intrigue than the others but was also of the lowest quality.

I'd rank them:
1. Wimbledon
2. French Open
3. U.S. Open