PDA

View Full Version : Tough 2013 ahead for Federer

svijk
10-28-2012, 01:17 PM
This is simply because some of the players that he meets regularly during the later rounds of tournaments have figured him out. The obvious ones are Djokovic and Murray but now you can pencil in Berdych/ Del Potro and who knows how Nadal might play when he gets back (he could have another 2010). Maybe Tsonga can be added to this list.

These players are playing with a high degree of confidence against him, there's nothing in Feder's arsenal that can hurt them too much now. All of them are much younger players at their primes.

Fed is doing everything to plan the year ahead well, by tweaking his schedule and staying healthy. He is also playing at a decent level at the moment. He will still do well but 2013 will not be good, by his own high standards.

Russeljones
10-28-2012, 01:47 PM
I'll go one better, 2014 will be even tougher than 2013 and 2015 oooh boy! That one's goin to break the camel's back!

90's Clay
10-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Ehh.. Fed always puts himself in a position to win tournaments though.. He'll be fine. Nadal has yet to come back and it remains to be seen if he will return to top form anyways.. That alone is big for Federer.

Del Potro and Berdych are and always have been slam question marks anyways.

Towser83
10-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Del Potro has figured him out cos he beat him in Basel?

Also isn't Federer 2-2 with Djokovic for the season and 1-1 in slams too?

He was at one point about 2-6 in the head to head with Murray, and I think this year it's 2-2 with them too.

Berdych has been a problem the past few years but I don't see it getting worse.

I agree 2013 will probably be worse, but 2012 was much better than I ever expected. If he wins the WTF he is still probably the best player of the year despite what the rankings say.

Steve0904
10-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Every year that he decides to play will get tougher as he gets older, but Berdych, Delpo, and Tsonga haven't really "figured him out."

Devilito
10-28-2012, 02:00 PM
This is simply because some of the players that he meets regularly during the later rounds of tournaments have figured him out. .

They figured out that as long as Fed has an off day and doesn't play well and they zone out of their minds they can beat him. Amazing insight

BrooklynNY
10-28-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't exactly think 7-6 in the 3rd is figuring someone out.

kaku
10-28-2012, 02:09 PM
For me, Fed's 2013 is going to be about how he plays. It's not like Delpo spanked him 6-0 6-1

Pouet156
10-28-2012, 02:30 PM
For me, Fed's 2013 is going to be about how he plays. It's not like Delpo spanked him 6-0 6-1

I don't think anybody ever spanked Federer since he rose to GOAT level, but Nadal on clay.
On the other hand, Fed has been giving away bagels and breadsticks to almost all of the people who figured him out ...

RogerFan1991
10-28-2012, 02:31 PM

In fact, Federer should have won the third set, he was the one who had break pt chances and missed them, delpo had none, and then in the tiebreak one shot makes the difference, and that easy forehand into the net at 2-3 gave del potro the match. Thats it. It could have gone either way, delpo was the lucky man today.

Gonzo_style
10-28-2012, 02:37 PM
In fact, Federer should have won the third set, he was the one who had break pt chances and missed them, delpo had none, and then in the tiebreak one shot makes the difference, and that easy forehand into the net at 2-3 gave del potro the match. Thats it. It could have gone either way, delpo was the lucky man today.

LOL did you watched the match? Delpo had a BP on 5:5 in second set, and didn't lost service game whole match!

BauerAlmeida
10-28-2012, 02:38 PM

Well, but Delpo could've won it in 2 also.

He had a BP to serve for the match in 5-5, and he hold that game....

Prisoner of Birth
10-28-2012, 02:39 PM
No ----, he's gonna be 32 in 2013.

RogerFan1991
10-28-2012, 02:44 PM
LOL did you watched the match? Delpo had a BP on 5:5 in second set, and didn't lost service game whole match!

Well, try to read correctly, im talking about the third set, NOT SECOND SET. As well as delpo should have won the 2nd set, federer should have taken the 3rd....so whoever that won would be okay, and delpo ran with that luck.

TheCheese
10-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Really?

Djokovic is about a 50/50 matchup. If anything, Fed's slice really bothers him.

I'd say Fed is the favorite against Murray still.

Berdych has to play out of his mind to win against Fed.

Fed is by far a favorite against Delpo.

Nadal has an advantage against Fed, Federer has to play extremely well to win but he seems to have gotten over some of the mental aspect of it.

Gonzo_style
10-28-2012, 02:47 PM
No ----, he's gonna be 32 in 2013.

Look who's back! :)

Prisoner of Birth
10-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Look who's back! :)

I was banned for 3 days for calling you something :)

Gonzo_style
10-28-2012, 02:50 PM
I was banned for 3 days for calling you something :)

Yes, I remember that. :) Be a good boy this time :)

Prisoner of Birth
10-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Yes, I remember that. :) Be a good boy this time :)

And you be smarter this time so I won't have to call you that again :)

Gonzo_style
10-28-2012, 02:55 PM
And you be smarter this time so I won't have to call you that again :)

You just cannot resist, huh? :) Btw i still think that if Djokovic won 5 AO titles he would be the best AO player :)

Prisoner of Birth
10-28-2012, 02:56 PM
You just cannot resist, huh? :) Btw i still think that if Djokovic won 5 AO titles he would be the best AO player :)

You "think"? That's news to me! :)

NadalAgassi
10-28-2012, 02:57 PM
That pretty much goes without saying. Staying near the top will always be hard for a 31 year old, unless your name is QueenRena. If Nadal is healthy I dont see him being ranked any higher than #4 by this time next year and Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Del Potro, Berdych, Tsonga, will all be serious threats to him in major events, which could be a possible growing list depending how much Federer begins to show his age and others like Raonic improve. That said he will still be a contender for a couple more years, whether he actually wins another major or not.

Gonzo_style
10-28-2012, 02:59 PM
You "think"? That's news to me! :)

Because you've been banned! :)

Rjtennis
10-28-2012, 03:05 PM
This is simply because some of the players that he meets regularly during the later rounds of tournaments have figured him out. The obvious ones are Djokovic and Murray but now you can pencil in Berdych/ Del Potro and who knows how Nadal might play when he gets back (he could have another 2010). Maybe Tsonga can be added to this list.

These players are playing with a high degree of confidence against him, there's nothing in Feder's arsenal that can hurt them too much now. All of them are much younger players at their primes.

Fed is doing everything to plan the year ahead well, by tweaking his schedule and staying healthy. He is also playing at a decent level at the moment. He will still do well but 2013 will not be good, by his own high standards.

In the bigest matches, at the biggest moments everyone other then the top 4 choke matches away. Berdych has been a head case for years and Tsonga can only pull upsets when everything is clicking. Fed's only problem has to do with a

Federer20042006
10-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Federer just can't handle the big hitters anymore. That's the problem right now - and it's a big one given the fact that Del Potro, Berdych, and Tsonga are the next 3 guys after the Big 4.

RF20Lennon
10-28-2012, 03:23 PM
LOL one match where he loses in a third set tiebreak and people start this all over again!! Somehow after he lost to Djokovic 6-2 in the third set in 2009 he still had it in him

smoledman
10-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Typical TT overreaction to a super close Fed loss to a top 10 player.

tennisaddict
10-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Fed took the match in control from the end of the 2nd set.

But for the hawk-eye call derailing his momentum / the forehand dump into the net, this match could very well could have been Fed's.

Fed looked the winner for all of the 3rd set.

If he had won that point, we will all be singing an other song now..

There is no shame that when Fed is at 32, at last the top 5-10 is figuring out how to win a match or two against him.

rafafan20
10-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Slow down a bit Delpo certainly hasn't figured Fed out... He just played out of his mind and Fed's game plan was suspect. I don't think he will win a GS in 2013, 2013 is about Djoker vs. Murray

cc0509
10-28-2012, 08:53 PM
That pretty much goes without saying. Staying near the top will always be hard for a 31 year old, unless your name is QueenRena. If Nadal is healthy I dont see him being ranked any higher than #4 by this time next year and Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Del Potro, Berdych, Tsonga, will all be serious threats to him in major events, which could be a possible growing list depending how much Federer begins to show his age and others like Raonic improve. That said he will still be a contender for a couple more years, whether he actually wins another major or not.

Oh no, not your predictions again! :roll:

The truth is that nobody knows for sure what will happen with Federer in the upcoming months. Nobody thought Federer would win all those Masters titles and Wimbledon this year (including myself) but he was defeating Murray, Nadal (a healthy one contrary to the claims of *******s) and Djokovic at events and took the number one away from Djokovic, a guy in his absolute prime. The problem with Federer is due to his age, one never knows what version of Federer will show up in any given match or any given tournament. He could go on and have another winning stretch in 2013 or he may not win a title the whole of next year. Hard to say. Inconsistency is the main feature of a player who is long past his prime.

cc0509
10-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Federer just can't handle the big hitters anymore. That's the problem right now - and it's a big one given the fact that Del Potro, Berdych, and Tsonga are the next 3 guys after the Big 4.

Not true. It just depends on the day and what version of Federer shows up. Federer at his best or close to it, does not lose to those chumps. The problem is his best does not come everyday now.

NadalAgassi
10-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Oh no, not your predictions again! :roll:

That isnt a prediction dope, all those players have beaten Federer in slams the last few years, thus it has already been proven all those players have already cemented themselves as "threats" to Federer in slams, never mind that Federer is only getting older as we speak, which would be irrelevant if he was head and shoulders above the rest still like QueenRena, but isnt the case. Also one stating people being threats to someone is not a "prediction", as it is a subjective comment which cant be disproven by anything short of said player sweeping all matches in bagels and breadsticks. Not losing to someone does not disprove they werent a "threat". Predicting he will be #4 this time next year is a prediction, so if you wanted to focus on a prediction of mine that would be the only sentence you could focus on.

Lastly my rate in predictions is just fine, alot better than yours I bet (not that this says much, lol). You have to follow me around 24/7 and scan my posts to occasionaly find a wrong prediction of mine and then gloat about it, good for you, if I had no life I would do likewise for you. :)

smoledman
10-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Not true. It just depends on the day and what version of Federer shows up. Federer at his best or close to it, does not lose to those chumps. The problem is his best does not come everyday now.

The problem is you think of Del Potro & Berdych as "chumps".

Paullaconte1
10-28-2012, 10:29 PM
I think that only Murray and Djokovic (and Nadal if fit) are a problem to Federer...

2013 could be just the same as 2012 if he has proper schedules

jokinla
10-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Yes 2013 will be tough, and so will 2014, 2015, 2016, etc., news flash, he's getting older, his rivals are in their prime.

cc0509
10-28-2012, 11:31 PM
That isnt a prediction dope

Really? It isn't? You said the following:

NadalAgassi
If Nadal is healthy I dont see him being ranked any higher than #4 by this time next year and Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Del Potro, Berdych, Tsonga, will all be serious threats to him in major events

You are talking about the future and saying that if Nadal is healthy you don't think Federer will rank higher than #4. Sure sounds like a prediction to me!

Lastly my rate in predictions is just fine, alot better than yours I bet (not that this says much, lol). You have to follow me around 24/7 and scan my posts to occasionaly find a wrong prediction of mine and then gloat about it, good for you, if I had no life I would do likewise for you. :)

The problem is not your predictions it is your emphatic predictions in absolute terms that are annoying, as if you know any better than anybody else what is going to happen in the future. I recall you said that you thought Djokovic winning another slam was a joke and I recall that you said there was no way Federer was going to win Wimbledon.

I don't think you are a better predictor than I am at all. I have made a lot of mistake predictions but most of the time I am pretty good. Also, you are on this forum way more than I ever am and from what I understand from other posters you have many accounts.

Re Federer, I agree with you that he is declining and it will be more difficult for him to win big titles in the future, however, I never in a million years expected him to win all of the titles he has since the USO last year so maybe he can repeat it. I for sure am not going to write him off completely no matter how much I think he is unlikely to win more slams.

cc0509
10-28-2012, 11:33 PM
The problem is you think of Del Potro & Berdych as "chumps".

I just don't think they are in the same league as Federer, Nadal or even Djokovic or Murray. An in prime Federer would never lose to Del Potro or Berdych. When Federer lost the USO to Del Potro in 2009, I knew it was the beginning of the end of Fed's huge slam runs.

Apun94
10-29-2012, 12:29 AM
Really?

Djokovic is about a 50/50 matchup. If anything, Fed's slice really bothers him.

I'd say Fed is the favorite against Murray still.

Berdych has to play out of his mind to win against Fed.

Fed is by far a favorite against Delpo.

Nadal has an advantage against Fed, Federer has to play extremely well to win but he seems to have gotten over some of the mental aspect of it.

Since WHEN? Yes he won a good match at IW, but Fed still seems like he doesnt believe he can win against Nadal. We saw his match at the AO. He choked...

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 12:30 AM
I just don't think they are in the same league as Federer, Nadal or even Djokovic or Murray. An in prime Federer would never lose to Del Potro or Berdych. When Federer lost the USO to Del Potro in 2009, I knew it was the beginning of the end of Fed's huge slam runs.
One could argue that Roddick or Hewitt could push Djokovic while in their prime.

joeri888
10-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Federer plays till 2016 and at that point, haters will say he was a nobody, because he loses regularly to Murray, Djokovic, Raonic, Del Potro, etc. etc. Strange huh, a guy at 31 is gonna have a tough season. I'm sure he'll win some

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 12:33 AM
I also think Federer will end 2013 at #4.

joeri888
10-29-2012, 12:36 AM
I also think Federer will end 2013 at #4.

Will Nadal come back or will someone else overtake him? I think it's pretty likely yes. With a reduced schedule, etc. but he'll still make every QF of a Slam I think. And certainly win some (indoor) tournaments)

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Will Nadal come back or will someone else overtake him? I think it's pretty likely yes. With a reduced schedule, etc. but he'll still make every QF of a Slam I think. And certainly win some (indoor) tournaments)
I don't know if Nadal will come back or not, but if he doesn't Del Potro or Berdych could always make a push for the 3rd spot. Federer, with his reduced schedule, will mostly likely end 2013 at #4, yes.

Prisoner of Birth
10-29-2012, 12:49 AM
I don't know if Nadal will come back or not, but if he doesn't Del Potro or Berdych could always make a push for the 3rd spot. Federer, with his reduced schedule, will mostly likely end 2013 at #4, yes.

LOL, so Berdych, who's at 6, is pushing for the 3rd spot while Federer, who is still at 1, is most likely ending up at 4 next year? :lol:

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 12:54 AM
LOL, so Berdych, who's at 6, is pushing for the 3rd spot while Federer, who is still at 1, is most likely ending up at 4 next year? :lol:
What rank did Del Potro start 2009 at? Berdych could win a slam and make a push for #3, you don't know what's around the corner. Also, read up on Federer's reduced schedule; he won't be grabbing #1 again any time soon.

Prisoner of Birth
10-29-2012, 12:57 AM
What rank did Del Potro start 2009 at? Berdych could win a slam and make a push for #3, you don't know what's around the corner. Also, read up on Federer's reduced schedule; he won't be grabbing #1 again any time soon.

Berdych won't be passing Federer in the rankings anytime in the next couple of years. Even if he wins a Slam or two. He's far too inconsistent. And this is coming from a guy who actually sees Berdych winning a Slam sometime in the future.

And where you start your ranking from doesn't matter. The highest you've ever been ranked, on the other hand, does. And it's not like Berdych is 23 or 24.

I'd also like to remind you that over the past 12 months, Federer has 12,315 ATP points. Berdych has 4,985.

Bobby Jr
10-29-2012, 01:00 AM
I don't exactly think 7-6 in the 3rd is figuring someone out.
Exactly... Del Potro figured Federer out by beating him 7-6 in the 3rd while Federer played his worst level of tennis all year for almost an entire week straight - WTF?

If that's what it takes for a top 10 player to beat Federer 7-6 in the 3rd I think 2013 will be another pretty good year for Federer.

Djokovic and Murry this year both suffered amongst the most one-sided losses of their seasons to Federer. If that is what having "someone figured out" entails then it would seem to work both ways depending on the relative form of each player.

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Berdych won't be passing Federer in the rankings anytime in the next couple of years. Even if he wins a Slam or two. He's far too inconsistent. And this is coming from a guy who actually sees Berdych winning a Slam sometime in the future.

And where you start your ranking from doesn't matter. The highest you've ever been ranked, on the other hand, does. And it's not like Berdych is 23 or 24.

I'd also like to remind you that over the past 12 months, Federer has 12,315 ATP points. Berdych has 4,985.
Federer might lose early in a slam next year, he might not be able to defend WTF this year. That could be 4,000 points gone. So, he could be down from 12,315 to 8,315. He could lose early in a couple of Masters, too, bringing him down to 6,315. Berdych, if he wins a slam and another Master next year, could be above that.

Rhino
10-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Things may well get tricky for Federer but as long as he picks up a few more tournament wins it's all gravy from here on in.

If he can sneak another slam in 2013, all the better.

batz
10-29-2012, 02:32 AM
[QUOTE=cc0509;6981065]Really? It isn't? You said the following:

You are talking about the future and saying that if Nadal is healthy you don't think Federer will rank higher than #4. Sure sounds like a prediction to me!

QUOTE]

Reminds me of one of Gazza's famous statements:

"I never make predictions, and I never will" :)

tata
10-29-2012, 03:30 AM
What will get tougher is that Fed will need to reduce his schedule to preserve his body and health. But because of this, it becomes increasingly more important that he plays well and wins the events he does enter or risk a slide in the rankings.

Federer really pushed it this year in terms of events played and he's made a good run which really added on the miles. Over the next few years he will probably play less and it will be more about defending ranking points than gaining.

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 03:32 AM
What will get tougher is that Fed will need to reduce his schedule to preserve his body and health. But because of this, it becomes increasingly more important that he plays well and wins the events he does enter or risk a slide in the rankings.

Federer really pushed it this year in terms of events played and he's made a good run which really added on the miles. Over the next few years he will probably play less and it will be more about defending ranking points than gaining.
He's going to find it very hard to defend a Wimbledon every year.

Povl Carstensen
10-29-2012, 07:53 AM
He is playing at a decent level at the moment.Yes his ranking could serve as an indication of that.

RF20Lennon
10-29-2012, 08:10 AM
People have been saying this since 2008 might finally happen 5 years later

Prisoner of Birth
10-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Federer might lose early in a slam next year, he might not be able to defend WTF this year. That could be 4,000 points gone. So, he could be down from 12,315 to 8,315. He could lose early in a couple of Masters, too, bringing him down to 6,315. Berdych, if he wins a slam and another Master next year, could be above that.

How is losing early in a Slam and failing to defend WTF 4000 points? Even if he goes out in the 1st round at Wimbledon and doesn't get a single win at the WTF, that's still 3500 points.

forzamilan90
10-29-2012, 09:51 AM
I trust Fed's ability to maintain a highly competitive position near the top in 2013

jokinla
10-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Pretty sure I read this last year too. Oh and Berdych isn't Delpo, he's not winning a slam.

underground
10-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Delpo beat ******** in a final set tiebreak, yes very impressive.

smoledman
10-29-2012, 12:44 PM
******** kindly delivered 6 UFE in that tiebreaker. Shankalicious. DelPo kindly accepted the gift.

sunof tennis
10-29-2012, 01:18 PM

Isn't Fed leading the match up with Delpo since the US Open like 6 - 1?

Clarky21
10-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Yes 2013 will be tough, and so will 2014, 2015, 2016, etc., news flash, he's getting older, his rivals are in their prime.

Only Murray and ******* are in their prime. Nadal is not.

smoledman
10-29-2012, 02:46 PM

Berdych, Del Potro, Tsonga, Cilic, Dolgopolov, Tipsaravic are all in their primes as well. I predict a tough 2013 for Maestro.

Prisoner of Birth
10-29-2012, 02:47 PM

Murray and Djokovic are his rivals. Nobody mentioned Nadal.

smoledman
10-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Fed in 2013:

http://coconutheadsets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/sisyphus.jpg

Prisoner of Birth
10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Fed in 2013:

http://coconutheadsets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/sisyphus.jpg

Why did you tilt a picture of Federer trying to push a rock down a hill? :)

smoledman
10-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Why did you tilt a picture of Federer trying to push a rock down a hill? :)

I admire your optimism.:neutral:

Prisoner of Birth
10-29-2012, 03:05 PM
I admire your optimism.:neutral:

Okay, I guess my humor sucked.

Clarky21
10-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Murray and Djokovic are his rivals. Nobody mentioned Nadal.

And nobody mentioned ******* or Murray in that post,either.

Prisoner of Birth
10-29-2012, 03:10 PM
And nobody mentioned ******* or Murray in that post,either.

They said Federer's rivals were in their prime. They didn't say all of them were in their prime. Djokovic and Murray are his rivals and they are in their prime. So the statement isn't untrue, by your own admission that Djokovic and Murray are in their prime. Now, pray tell, where the heck Nadal came from?

Clarky21
10-29-2012, 03:22 PM
They said Federer's rivals were in their prime. They didn't say all of them were in their prime. Djokovic and Murray are his rivals and they are in their prime. So the statement isn't untrue, by your own admission that Djokovic and Murray are in their prime. Now, pray tell, where the heck Nadal came from?

If I have to tell you than you haven't been watching tennis for the past 7 years.

RAFA2005RG
10-29-2012, 04:10 PM
As I warned a couple of months ago, Federer was supposed to retire at Wimbledon this year, just as Sampras retired at the victorious US Open. Federer should have sensed in that Wimbledon final that Murray was about to take over. After all, Murray was very close to being up 2 sets to love in that Wimbledon final. The signs were there. I guess Federer just isn't very aware of those around him. He has never been the sharpest tool in the shed. Federer is now going to hang on hoping for a return to the top, go on another long slam drought and retire a loser. He should have been grateful for Nadal's early exit at Wimbledon. Instead he got greedy, and is now about to suffer a fate far worse than his slamless 2011.

Steve0904
10-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Federer has always been ome of the smarter players on tour.

beast of mallorca
10-29-2012, 04:23 PM
As I warned a couple of months ago, Federer was supposed to retire at Wimbledon this year, just as Sampras retired at the victorious US Open. Federer should have sensed in that Wimbledon final that Murray was about to take over. After all, Murray was very close to being up 2 sets to love in that Wimbledon final. The signs were there. I guess Federer just isn't very aware of those around him. He has never been the sharpest tool in the shed. Federer is now going to hang on hoping for a return to the top, go on another long slam drought and retire a loser. He should have been grateful for Nadal's early exit at Wimbledon. Instead he got greedy, and is now about to suffer a fate far worse than his slamless 2011.

What a load of crap are you spewing dude. Stop smoking pot ok.........:twisted:

jokinla
10-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Only Murray and ******* are in their prime. Nadal is not on tour.

Fixed it for ya.

NadalAgassi
10-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Berdych, Del Potro, Tsonga, Cilic, Dolgopolov, Tipsaravic are all in their primes as well. I predict a tough 2013 for Maestro.

Tipsarevic, Dolgopolov and Cilic are zero relevance to Federer, and once any of them become so he will likely retire.

Marius_Hancu
10-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Garbage. If he's in great shape physically, he has more game than anyone.
He still has slams in him.

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Garbage. If he's in great shape physically, he has more game than anyone.
He still has slams in him.
One or two more at the most.

smoledman
10-29-2012, 11:18 PM
One or two more at the most.

Yup 18-19 slams would be sick!

RAFA2005RG
10-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Yup 18-19 slams would be sick!

If he doesn't have to play Nadal, anythings possible :D

sbengte
10-30-2012, 12:28 AM

Actually Fed should have retired at 13 slams when he first lost his #1 ranking to Nadal in 2008 knowing that Nadal and the other young guns are regularly going to start beating him and his reign at the top is over. The greedy old fool kept playing and look where it got him.

RAFA2005RG
10-30-2012, 12:34 AM
Actually Fed should have retired at 13 slams when he first lost his #1 ranking to Nadal in 2008 knowing that Nadal and the other young guns are regularly going to start beating him and his reign at the top is over. The greedy old fool kept playing and look where it got him.

Well, I can understand why he kept playing back then. He wanted more slams than Sampras.

Speaking of Sampras, when I watch Sampras' interviews I find his personality very interesting, intelligent and entertaining. Funny that Sampras was frequently called out for being boring, while Federer is far more boring and isn't called out for it. Although maybe Sampras was only considered boring when compared to Agassi.

ThePerfectMan (unlike me)
10-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Federer was supposed to retire at Wimbledon this year, just as Sampras retired at the victorious US Open.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Sampras : "He played no tour events in the following 12 months, but did not officially announce his retirement until August 2003, just prior to the US Open.[26] He chose not to defend his title there, but his retirement announcement was timed so that he could say farewell at a special ceremony organized for him at the Open"

forzamilan90
10-30-2012, 12:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Sampras : "He played no tour events in the following 12 months, but did not officially announce his retirement until August 2003, just prior to the US Open.[26] He chose not to defend his title there, but his retirement announcement was timed so that he could say farewell at a special ceremony organized for him at the Open"

more people should know the facts about that, it's like he announced before the open that it will be his last tourney and goes out and wins it....whoever does that it will be uber-bosslike....hoping Fed announces at the beginning of some season in the next several years he will retire after the WTF, and gives it his all throughout the tour, perhaps even winning some big ones, now that will be pimp

zam88
10-30-2012, 03:06 PM
yeah it's going to get a lot tougher for Fed every year.

If he wants to put in the EXTRA time it's going to take to keep making slam finals, then he can probably win another major or 2.

But if he's achieved any level of complacency after everything he's achieved and only puts in the time he usually does or starts to put in less, then the disappointments will start being more frequent.

It would be a truly herculean effort to keep motivation at this point

svijk
06-04-2013, 08:12 PM
To the despair of Fed fans (like me), its now officially over ...Grand Slams are out of question ....soon it will be the Masters and so on....

jg153040
06-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Every year that he decides to play will get tougher as he gets older, but Berdych, Delpo, and Tsonga haven't really "figured him out."

True. We also have to consider that top players learn and adjust. It's tough to figure them out. They also adapt "on the fly" during matches.

So if something worked in the past vs a guy it doesn't mean it will work the second time. Pros analyze matches and next time don't play the same.

THUNDERVOLLEY
06-05-2013, 08:45 AM
True. We also have to consider that top players learn and adjust. It's tough to figure them out. They also adapt "on the fly" during matches.

But that is rare. Connors--for example--made his last, celebrated USO run still playing his standard game; though the run was memorable, he was not going to make any serious changes to deal with the problems caused by age--or others figuring out his game.

In the Federer/Tsonga match, Federer was doing the same thing: playing his usual game, as it is clear he believes his "formula" will just work (probably thinking, "it got me this far, so why not"), when everyone else knows what to expect. That inability to look within ofr self correction--along with age, is the reason he's struggling.

Some time ago, I predicted he at least one Wimbledon left in him, but the longer he plays with his "my way works" idea, the easier it will be for strong opponents to pick him apart, as seen with Tsonga.

Nitish
06-05-2013, 09:10 AM
But that is rare. Connors--for example--made his last, celebrated USO run still playing his standard game; though the run was memorable, he was not going to make any serious changes to deal with the problems caused by age--or others figuring out his game.

In the Federer/Tsonga match, Federer was doing the same thing: playing his usual game, as it is clear he believes his "formula" will just work (probably thinking, "it got me this far, so why not"), when everyone else knows what to expect. That inability to look within ofr self correction--along with age, is the reason he's struggling.

Some time ago, I predicted he at least one Wimbledon left in him, but the longer he plays with his "my way works" idea, the easier it will be for strong opponents to pick him apart, as seen with Tsonga.

I think this is the main reason for his struggles against nadal."my game works against everyone else,why should i change it for one guy"