PDA

View Full Version : Donnay X-P Dual Black 102 - what's right or wrong with it?

BruceG
10-28-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm interested in this racquet. But when I looked it up via search I only got a couple of threads discussing it but a whole lot of them in the FOR SALE section.

So Im wondering if there's a reason for all that. Are people finding it's too powerful, not powerful enough, not stable, too much vibration, uncomfortable or what ?

Or if there is anyone who is using it and happy with the racquet can you tell me what you like about it and how it performs in general?

Thanks guys.

zapvor
10-28-2012, 10:16 PM
its an awesome stick. demo it and you will see. people like to switch on here.

BruceG
10-28-2012, 10:48 PM
its an awesome stick. demo it and you will see. people like to switch on here.

I would demo it if I could but that's not possible right now. That's why I'm asking for some opinions and information.

zapvor
10-28-2012, 11:10 PM
well lets see. its very flexy, super soft. i would say you lose a little stability from the flex but its very forgiving. like all donnays its muted as well. not very powerful, but its no prestige either. groundies are a lot of fun to hit if you are just rallying. for serves i find it better for spin, not flat.

BruceG
10-29-2012, 12:50 AM
well lets see. its very flexy, super soft. i would say you lose a little stability from the flex but its very forgiving. like all donnays its muted as well. not very powerful, but its no prestige either. groundies are a lot of fun to hit if you are just rallying. for serves i find it better for spin, not flat.

Thanks very much.

I've been using a whole bunch of old school racquets and its driving me totally crazy trying to find something new that I like. All I want is a racquet that is mobile BUT stable, not so stiff its uncomfortable and doesn't have a tight 18x20 string pattern. Trouble is all the racquets are either too light or too much heft. Yeah, I can add lead tape but that doesn't change the ugly hollow feel you get from lighter racquets.

I've kind of run out of ideas about what racquet to try. The Wilson 6.1 95 is stable but kind of slow (not too bad though) and stiff, the Prestige Mid is great but I want the open string pattern, the Prestige Pro I just don't like the feel of (thought it'd be the one but didn't work out for me), the Volkl PB 10 325 I'm not real sure about the feel. And that's just a few of the ones I've tried so far. Really, really confusing and frustrating.

zapvor
10-29-2012, 01:40 AM
heres the way i look at it. too many people on here with threads about what racket and strings. ultimately its you. so go out and demo. make it happen. if its important to you, you will find a way. my suggestions are only worth so much. you are the one that has to play with it

TW has a awesome demo program. just about any racket you want

suppawat
10-29-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm interested in this racquet. But when I looked it up via search I only got a couple of threads discussing it but a whole lot of them in the FOR SALE section.

So Im wondering if there's a reason for all that. Are people finding it's too powerful, not powerful enough, not stable, too much vibration, uncomfortable or what ?

Or if there is anyone who is using it and happy with the racquet can you tell me what you like about it and how it performs in general?

Thanks guys.

What was your last favorite racquet? I know that you cannot demo the racquet, so I want to share my experience about X-P Dual racquet.

I got some insight after working with my friend to pick the right racquet for him. After his testing many racquets, I've found a correlation between racquet beam shape and the feel he likes. And this seems to be the most important factor. Most of us already know that box beam design provide more solid and stable feel, while the aero beam is faster thru the air. The guy played Head i.Radical OS for years and love the racquet so much. He wanted something more powerful and smaller head size. He tried several racquets and I observed that he doesn't like Babolat Pure Drive, Head IG Radical OS, Donnay Formula, and Donnay X-P Dual. All these racquets have aero beam design. He was more comfortable with box beam racquets like Volkl Organix V1 MP, Donnay Pro One, and one of Donnay prototype thin beam racquet (JHT027).

The second factor is the hoop stiffness, which never show on the spec. You will only see and feel when you restring the racquet. The softer hoop tends to warp in during string pull. From my experience, softer hoop racquets have plush feeling but can be very string sensitive. X-P Dual has softer hoop. Certain poly strings don't work well with the racquet. I tried multifilament at 55lbs and it works perfectly fine.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/285103_185576988234041_1271085786_n.jpg

corners
10-29-2012, 05:35 PM
What was your last favorite racquet? I know that you cannot demo the racquet, so I want to share my experience about X-P Dual racquet.

I got some insight after working with my friend to pick the right racquet for him. After his testing many racquets, I've found a correlation between racquet beam shape and the feel he likes. And this seems to be the most important factor. Most of us already know that box beam design provide more solid and stable feel, while the aero beam is faster thru the air. The guy played Head i.Radical OS for years and love the racquet so much. He wanted something more powerful and smaller head size. He tried several racquets and I observed that he doesn't like Babolat Pure Drive, Head IG Radical OS, Donnay Formula, and Donnay X-P Dual. All these racquets have aero beam design. He was more comfortable with box beam racquets like Volkl Organix V1 MP, Donnay Pro One, and one of Donnay prototype thin beam racquet (JHT027).

The second factor is the hoop stiffness, which never show on the spec. You will only see and feel when you restring the racquet. The softer hoop tends to warp in during string pull. From my experience, softer hoop racquets have plush feeling but can be very string sensitive. X-P Dual has softer hoop. Certain poly strings don't work well with the racquet. I tried multifilament at 55lbs and it works perfectly fine.

Interesting observations on hoop flex, beam design and feel. Suppawat, why do you think manufacturers make thick beam hoops that are flexible? With Donnay, they already have the 15-18mm beam X-Dual series, where the thin beams are quite flexible. Why then make a 22-24 mm hoop for the XP Dual that is also flexible? I always thought the whole point of wide beams was for stiffness in those areas.

gd!
10-29-2012, 10:22 PM
I recently switched to the X-P Dual, great racquet to me! Though frame has a 19-23-19 mm beam, it is thin, offering lots of feel and control to me. I use modernly shaped Co-Polys, tension @ max. 50 lbs. Working out fantastic!

I string proportionally, starting first cross string @ 33 lbs, than moving up to the middle, going down to the shaft. Did not observed a very soft hoop, though.

BruceG, tell me, where are all those offerings in the For Sale section. Desperately looking for another one at a good price :razz:

LIKE!

suppawat
10-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Interesting observations on hoop flex, beam design and feel. Suppawat, why do you think manufacturers make thick beam hoops that are flexible? With Donnay, they already have the 15-18mm beam X-Dual series, where the thin beams are quite flexible. Why then make a 22-24 mm hoop for the XP Dual that is also flexible? I always thought the whole point of wide beams was for stiffness in those areas.

It's difficult to explain in words so let me draw the picture. The frame stiffness rating shown on spec or TW website is the indication of how well the frame resists to the frame deflection when hitting the ball. But in the hoop stiffness is how wells the hoop can remain the original shape when hitting the ball. Softer hoop can warp in when you string the racquet, and you will notice it clearly. Good or bad, I am not sure. But normally soft hoop generates softer ball feel and good ball pocketing. Most older frames have soft hoop and nice ball pocketing effect. The only concern is shot consistency. When the frame warps, dynamic tension and sweet spot can suddenly change while hitting. So when I deal with soft hoop racquet, I prefer to use more elastic string like multifilament (2-3 times more elastic than poly). When hitting the ball,

I don't really know what's behind the X-P Dual frame design. But I think Donnay tried the make a faster feeling tweener frame that doesn't feel too stiff and have nice control.

https://xx9lgq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pXBXcqIx-zHyQrxNyFsQnnv_vNpdHrzXZZ3KLVczaMjQnMj_WwktYHUXqDG sNqRvTef8jM0zv7Bum58NarQ7iKZvhtmNPsby7/Stiffness.jpg

gd!
10-30-2012, 04:56 AM
Generally softer hoop might be the reason I am getting less DT after stringing compared to other racquets (comparable head size and patterns). As this racquet is still on the lower powered end yet very controlled for a tweener, not an issue to me though. I am using a Tecnifibre Pro Cord, so no issues to complaint about the machine :razz:

Roforot
10-30-2012, 05:53 AM
Bruce, you may try sending the people who sold it a PM asking why. I suspect a lot bought the racquet out of the excitement of it being new and a hot brand only to realize it wasn't for them. Still it seems to be a solid frame. I guess it depends on what you're looking for? What you're using? Donnay does have an extended demo program where you can demo a stick for upto 3 weeks...

BruceG
01-02-2013, 01:18 AM
heres the way i look at it. too many people on here with threads about what racket and strings. ultimately its you. so go out and demo. make it happen. if its important to you, you will find a way. my suggestions are only worth so much. you are the one that has to play with it

TW has a awesome demo program. just about any racket you want

As I said, I can't demo it. Would love to but can't. That's why I ask people here for help. Most are pretty good about it.

BruceG
01-02-2013, 01:26 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/285103_185576988234041_1271085786_n.jpg

The last two racquets I've really liked were the RDS 001 Midplus and the Prince 03 Tour OS (cut down to standard length). Before that it was the Wilson Tour 90 and the Head Prestige Mid. The reason why I switched away from those racquets is that the RDS was too stiff and harsh on my shoulder and arm, the 03 Tour OS lacked feel and pop, the Tour 90 just got too much for me after a few sets and I just wanted more spin and hitting area than I got with the Prestige Mid.

BruceG
01-02-2013, 01:32 AM
Bruce, you may try sending the people who sold it a PM asking why. I suspect a lot bought the racquet out of the excitement of it being new and a hot brand only to realize it wasn't for them. Still it seems to be a solid frame. I guess it depends on what you're looking for? What you're using? Donnay does have an extended demo program where you can demo a stick for upto 3 weeks...

Sadly, I'm working out of the country right now so I can't demo. I thought I might take a chance though, after getting some feedback and doing more research.

I did think it looked like a good, solid, basic kind of racquet that should be pretty versatile. Wanted to know more about the power level, spin, etc. I need more power than I get out of a Head Prestige Mid but not as much as I get out of a Pure Drive. Probably about as much as I'd get from a Dunlop 300G would be fine. I do like a large head size though - more than 100-107sq seems to work best for me.