PDA

View Full Version : Serena is the real world no.1 NOT Azarenka!!!

Paullaconte1
10-28-2012, 10:12 PM
You can say whatever, but Serena is just too strong for everybody.

She was just injured at the beginning of the seasons, then after a full recovery she overwhelmed all the other players.

Beating everybody in straight sets at the Championship was the icing on the cake.

If she is healthy she is the best player in the world.

http://newyork.tennistonic.com/view_tennisnews?nid=1376&/Serena-Williams-beats-Sharapova-to-win-the-final-showdown-in-Istanbul---Youtube

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/istanbul-s-williams-d-sharapova/39943/#.UI4dB8XMjy0

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8564248/tennis-serena-williams-phenomenon

Any different idea?

SQA333
10-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Any different idea?

Yes.
http://www.wtatennis.com/page/RankingsSingles/0,,12781~0~1~100,00.html

DolgoSantoro
10-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Well duh, I don't know if you could even make a case for Azarenka being number 1 right now

big ted
10-28-2012, 10:41 PM
serenas only been no1 twice at year end in her 15+ year career i dont think you can blame it all on injuries

NadalAgassi
10-28-2012, 10:47 PM
serenas only been no1 twice at year end in her 15+ year career i dont think you can blame it all on injuries

Well 2010 and probably 2003 were hers for sure without injury. Yes though many times it is relative indifference to much of the regular tour. 2008 and 2009 (even though she still ended 2009 #1 in the end) were definitely that. This year it was more her slow start, although she still doesnt show the dedication to the regular tour of some, she did put in somespectacular regular tour performances on clay no less this year.

Real #1 in the sense everyone knows she is by FAR the best player in the World still right now, had by far the greatest and best year, and is by far the player to beat now and in the immediate future, yes. Real #1 in deserving the computer #1, while the ranking system has its flaws I do think Azarenka deserves the computer #1 for this year. It isnt like Wozniacki last year which was a complete farce in everyway. With an improved ranking system Serena would probably be #2 over Sharapova for the year. Serena's poor results at the Australian and French Opens, and some of her early season events, are why Azarenka is #1. Everyone knows Serena > Azarenka, but as far as results and ranking merit, Azarenka was consistent the whole year, nobody would rather Azarenka's year than Serena's, but Azarenka's year does justify her deserving the #1 ranking, even if with the asterix that Serena, not her, is the Worlds best right now in every sense of the word.

jokinla
10-28-2012, 11:06 PM
If she was the real world #1, she wouldn't be ranked #3.

big ted
10-29-2012, 12:10 AM
similar to navratilovas 1987 season of winning wimbledon and usopen but nothing else and ended up being no2 behind graf

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 01:32 AM
#1 is about gaining enough points in the ENTIRE season to end at that rank, not just picking up form half way and getting it by year's end.

xanctus
10-29-2012, 03:12 AM
Well, I don't think other players have the mentality to beat Serena. Maybe Masha but so much to the others.

augustobt
10-29-2012, 04:47 AM
If she hasn't lost to VIRGINIE RAZZANO in a roland garros 1R, probably this wouldn't happen.

ollinger
10-29-2012, 04:56 AM
Being #1 and being the best are only loosely correlated, contingent on the schedule you play. Azarenka is #1, Serena is the best. No need to confound the two. Happens in sports all the time. Team that wins all its playoff rounds is crowned chamption. Doesn't necessarily mean they're the best.

zam88
10-29-2012, 05:06 AM
Serena doesn't care that she's not #1 so we shouldn't either.

She doesn't want to maintain the schedule necessary to get #1.

I'm sure she can get to #1 though if she wins the 3 majors she's supposed to each year.. AO, WM, USO.

The only major she's not an overwhelming favorite at when healthy and motivated is on clay.

Paul Murphy
10-29-2012, 05:13 AM
She's certainly the best player on the women's tour, no doubt about that.

jonnythan
10-29-2012, 05:30 AM
She might be the best player, but "WTA #1" does not necessarily represent the best player right now. It's the consistently best player over the last 12 months.

cknobman
10-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Sorry but I think its pretty pathetic that Serena can win 2 GS, Olympic gold, and the YEC and not be ranked #1.

Sure sure the WTA official rankings have her at #3 and its because of this reason and that reason.......
BUT its still pathetic.

NadalAgassi
10-29-2012, 07:09 AM
similar to navratilovas 1987 season of winning wimbledon and usopen but nothing else and ended up being no2 behind graf

Not at all similar. Graf won 12 tournaments to Navratilova's 4, and won the French Open, WTA Championships, and Miami (the unoffical 5th and 6th slams back then). Graf had something like an 87-2 record that year which is in another stratosphere from Azarenka this year. I dont dispute Azarenka's #1 ranking, but Graf was overall clearly the best and the Player of the Year despite Navratlova's superior majors performance that year, a rare time that would be the case, which is not the case for Azarenka. Serena won 6 torunaments including Wimbledon, U.S Open, WTA Championships, Olympics, and two Premier events on her worst surface.

robbo1970
10-29-2012, 07:42 AM
The ranking is done on points scored over a season, so the more you play, the more points you get and therefore whoever plays the most and does best overall will get a higher ranking. But as mentioned in earlier posts, that does mean that person is the best, only better than whom she has played.

Whilst I am no fan of Serena by any stretch, the way she beats the top players would indicate that she is still the best, she just does not turn up for many tournaments to rack up the points.

Boricua
10-29-2012, 07:44 AM

She was just injured at the beginning of the seasons, then after a full recovery she overwhelmed all the other players.

Beating everybody in straight sets at the Championship was the icing on the cake.

http://newyork.tennistonic.com/view_tennisnews?nid=1376&/Serena-Williams-beats-Sharapova-to-win-the-final-showdown-in-Istanbul---Youtube

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/istanbul-s-williams-d-sharapova/39943/#.UI4dB8XMjy0

Any different idea?

Same idea. Sharapova at her best is a player that can challenge but Serena is better. Her win in Turkey is a proof of that.

Peters
10-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Number 3 is about right. If she wants to pick and choose tournaments throughout a season the way she has done, she won't reach number1. And rightly so.

Otherwise what's stopping her from giving up all tournaments throughout the year apart from slams? It would be ridiculous.

She has to fully take part in the sport, just like all the other players. Sure, ability-wise, she's the outstanding player on the tour - but the ranking system is an objective collection of points over a 12 month period.

Not a subjective analysis of how good a player is.

ALL IN
10-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Any different idea?

You're right! Go on and write a strongly worded letter to the WTA and have them implement the CORRECT rankings list math that you have discovered and have them place Serena on top where she belongs!

jmnk
10-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Being #1 and being the best are only loosely correlated, contingent on the schedule you play. Azarenka is #1, Serena is the best. No need to confound the two. Happens in sports all the time. Team that wins all its playoff rounds is crowned chamption. Doesn't necessarily mean they're the best.

really? they are not the best? So who is?

jmnk
10-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Sorry but I think its pretty pathetic that Serena can win 2 GS, Olympic gold, and the YEC and not be ranked #1.

Sure sure the WTA official rankings have her at #3 and its because of this reason and that reason.......
BUT its still pathetic.
it's not 'this and that reason'. All is clearly explained in WTA rulebook. It's not pathetic she is #3 - it is proper reflection of her performance over 12 months. Maybe if she played more rounds at Australian or French open she would have not won Wimbledon, or US Open, or Olympics. Perhaps if she played at all after US Open she would have not won YEC. We will never know. that's why there are rules - to clearly state how you become #1.

フェデラー
10-29-2012, 05:06 PM
The separation between her and Azarenka/Sharapova is only 1000 points. She'll be no.1 after the AO for sure.

dafinch
10-29-2012, 05:31 PM
If she was the real world #1, she wouldn't be ranked #3.

The WTA ranking system rewards players who play a lot and are "consistent," i.e., don't get upset much but rarely dominate majors. The first clear example of this was many years ago: during the last 18 months of her "reign," Martina Fungus took turns getting her *** kicked by the "Big Babes," Davenport, Capriate, and, of course, the WS and won zero majors. When a "Number One" wins half as many Slams as another player(or, even worse, doesn't win Slams AT ALL, a la Wozny) and gets tattooed almost every time she meets her rival, I'm not impressed, and I'm not alone. Years from now, people will be looking to see how majors players won during a given year, not how many weeks they held an ersatz Number One ranking during that year.

Gizo
10-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Serena is unquestionably the best player in the world right now by a considerable distance.

However at least Azarenka is a more credible year end no. 1 than the likes of Jankovic and Wozniacki in recent years.

Since 2000, 8 different players have held the WTA world no. 1 ranking without winning a grand slam title in the 52 previous weeks, Hingis in 2000-2001, Clijsters in 2003, Davenport in 2004-2005, Mauresmo in 2004, Sharapova in 2005, Jankovic in 2008-2009, Safina in 2009 and Wozniacki in 2010-2011.

Paullaconte1
10-29-2012, 08:11 PM
You're right! Go on and write a strongly worded letter to the WTA and have them implement the CORRECT rankings list math that you have discovered and have them place Serena on top where she belongs!

ahahah....

You are right! Can I put you as a reference/support?:)

robbo1970
10-30-2012, 03:20 AM
I think the other factor here is the timing of these events.

The likes of Azarenka and Sharapova have been playing a lot of tournaments, flying from country to country, continent to continent over the past few weeks so there is bound to be a bit of physical and mental fatigue, whereas Williams comes in fresh. Its bound to give her the upper hand.

Whoever is number 1 deserves to be number 1 as they have racked up the most points, so if thats by competing in every tournament and doing well, then fair play to them.

Unless you can pitch two players who have played the same number of matches over a season against each other, its very hard to say who is the best.