PDA

View Full Version : What do people outside of India think of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi?

tenniswriter
10-28-2012, 11:55 PM
As tennis players. I know in India they are respected and pretty much idolised because, well, they're the only ones who've had so much success on tour, even if it's just in doubles. But what do people outside of India think of them as players?

15_ounce
10-29-2012, 01:10 AM
As tennis players. I know in India they are respected and pretty much idolised because, well, they're the only ones who've had so much success on tour, even if it's just in doubles. But what do people outside of India think of them as players?

I don't know much about them, but I did see Leander Paes in real life in Brisbane tournament once... I saw him practicing.. he seems to be a bit of an unfriendly guy... Looking at him I got the impression that he thinks he is too good (or has a high opinion of himself? is that the word?)...

gavna
10-29-2012, 01:13 AM
We don't.........in the U.S. the only team that draws a crowd are the Bryans......

Prisoner of Birth
10-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Eh, no one in India gives a flying jock about them, either. It's all Tendulkar.

SStrikerR
10-29-2012, 01:29 AM
They're good at doubles....that's about all I know/care to know.

tusharlovesrafa
10-29-2012, 01:45 AM
Eh, no one in India gives a flying jock about them, either. It's all Tendulkar.

As an afganistani I love paes and bhupathy..Only people whom I despise are Americans..It's not easy sitting in a cave and replying.We need FREEDOM!:twisted:

Prisoner of Birth
10-29-2012, 01:47 AM
As an afganistani I love paes and bhupathy..Only people whom I despise are Americans..It's not easy sitting in a cave and replying.We need FREEDOM!:twisted:

You're as Indian as a Bengali Tiger.

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 02:18 AM
They're good doubles players, that's about it.

Bobby Jr
10-29-2012, 02:24 AM
... he seems to be a bit of an unfriendly guy... Looking at him I got the impression that he thinks he is too good (or has a high opinion of himself? is that the word?)...
I met him a few times when he was still a junior player and he most definitely had a sense of entitlement and smugness that was rare amongst players (people in general actually) but quite typical of the wealthy in India. He was a silver spoon child for sure but, to his credit, he's achieved a lot in tennis.

treblings
10-29-2012, 03:40 AM
they were a very good doubles way back, and particularly Paes seemed to have very good hands and instinct for doubles.

treblings
10-29-2012, 03:43 AM
We don't.........in the U.S. the only team that draws a crowd are the Bryans......

are the Bryans ticket sellers in the u.s.? over here in europe, doubles at pro tournaments are usually played on the outside courts:( no tv coverage either

Paullaconte1
10-29-2012, 04:59 AM
I met him a few times when he was still a junior player and he most definitely had a sense of entitlement and smugness that was rare amongst players (people in general actually) but quite typical of the wealthy in India. He was a silver spoon child for sure but, to his credit, he's achieved a lot in tennis.

As far as I know Paes does not have a good reputation. A bit arrogant and full of himself. All the mess that happen for the Olympics basically happened because the other players can't stand him.

A good double player though ;-)

Sentinel
10-29-2012, 05:08 AM
Lee is entertaining. I root for Lee-Radek.

Bhu-Bop not so much.

Sentinel
10-30-2012, 06:34 AM

You are Swiss, you liar, you Fedtar. :evil:

augustobt
10-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Two good doubles players, but Leander Paes seems to be an ***.

beast of mallorca
10-30-2012, 09:16 AM

Don't hate us dude, I'm one of them...................just hate the Fedturds ok :twisted:

I Heart Thomas Muster
10-30-2012, 10:03 AM
I have no feelings toward toward Paes and Bhupati as I don't know much about them but I used to string for Vijay Armitraj and his son Prakash and they were always kind and unpretentious. Both are gentleman and good men as far as I'm concerned.

Fee
10-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Leander sat with my friends and me, bought us a round of drinks at a bar in Cincy back in 2007. He was very funny and very nice to us (5 women including 3 very attractive college students one of Indian descent). He said hello every time he saw us for the next few days, whether we were all together or separate. I think he even left us all tickets for one of the days. However, I know that his reputation is as stated above, pretty arrogant and very self centered. It seems that there are not a lot of players on tour who are friends with both Mahesh and Leander, it seems that eventually most people pick one side or the other.

I've heard bits and pieces over the years and it seems that Mahesh is more popular among his peers. Although he can also act like a bit of a 'big deal', he seems a bit more laid back about it all. I've never met Mahesh in person.

TroutSc
10-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Met Paes at the WTT finals at family circle not long ago. He was great, got the team together and signed my daughters tennis ball, got venus to come take a pic, etc.

nikdom
10-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Paes - Bhupathi should be a Ben & Jerry's ice-cream flavor. Its not like they've never had two tastes that don't go together in tub of ice-cream. :)

Seriously though, they are a good representation of successful Indians. A mix of the good, bad and ugly. The good part is their talent and success. The bad: the big heads and arrogance. The ugly: all the drama that goes wherever Indian people go - there is just no getting along with each other with maturity and grace.

I say that last part because the word 'Indian' itself is more of a legal definition - i.e born in the country of India or holder of an Indian passport (to a lesser extent, of Indian origin). Culturally we are all highly divided by region, language, religion, caste and class. So in a way, Paes and Bhupathi are not atypical of any two random Indians.

gavna
10-30-2012, 01:39 PM
are the Bryans ticket sellers in the u.s.? over here in europe, doubles at pro tournaments are usually played on the outside courts:( no tv coverage either

Yes - when they play the events like Houston, Atlanta, Los Angeles...etc they play on the center/main court and fill up the events and get top billing. At the US Open they get put on the newer court 17 and at under 5000 seats they can fill it up easy.

No they will not fill a stadium like BJK with 20,000+ but they bring some crowds.....one interesting item this summer was Ryan and Christian Harrison playing together and they filled up court 17 as well and had a good run.....possible if they continue to improve and stick together the US doubles fans could have another brother duo to follow (rumor is the Harrison's are planning to play some 250 and 500 events together in 2013).