PDA

View Full Version : Ferrer to be ranked higher than Nadal after the Australian Open?

tennis_pro
10-29-2012, 02:48 AM
As we know, Nadal is missing Paris and WTF this year. Ferrer on ther other hand looks to be playing into form (won Valencia yesterday). If he finished 2012 on a high note, let's say he gains 500-700 points in Paris and WTF, he could only be 1000 points behind Nadal in the race. Therefore, since Nadal is defending a final, Ferrer would "only" have to outperform Nadal at the AO to be ranked higher than him after the tournament is done.

We might see some Djokovic-Nadal, Federer-Nadal or Murray-Nadal matches in the QF stage in the near future, how fun would that be.

joeri888
10-29-2012, 03:03 AM
As we know, Nadal is missing Paris and WTF this year. Ferrer on ther other hand looks to be playing into form (won Valencia yesterday). If he finished 2012 on a high note, let's say he gains 500-700 points in Paris and WTF, he could only be 1000 points behind Nadal in the race. Therefore, since Nadal is defending a final, Ferrer would "only" have to outperform Nadal at the AO to be ranked higher than him after the tournament is done.

We might see some Djokovic-Nadal, Federer-Nadal or Murray-Nadal matches in the QF stage in the near future, how fun would that be.

Would be a nice change really. Tired of the big 4 making every semifinal.

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 03:13 AM
Nadal might skip the AO.

tennis_pro
10-29-2012, 03:16 AM
Nadal might skip the AO.

The bigger the chance of Ferrer being ranked higher.

Ms Nadal
10-29-2012, 03:16 AM
Nadal might skip the AO.

Hmmm, you could be right. I just wish that Rafa and his camp would be more honest about his situation. I mean, What is really going on?. This injury excuse is wearing thin :confused:. Rafa's fans are suffering!. I look forward to the AO either way as it is the first slam of the year and always fills me with excitement. Go Ferrer! he has played well he deserves some good fortune. I won't hold it against him.

joeri888
10-29-2012, 03:26 AM
Hmmm, you could be right. I just wish that Rafa and his camp would be more honest about his situation. I mean, What is really going on?. This injury excuse is wearing thin :confused:. Rafa's fans are suffering!. I look forward to the AO either way as it is the first slam of the year and always fills me with excitement. Go Ferrer! he has played well he deserves some good fortune. I won't hold it against him.

They say absolutely nothing. It's pretty strange if you ask me.

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 03:34 AM
If he does miss the AO, he will be giving many of the lower ranked players a chance to break through. A semifinal run for Raonic, for instance. Nadal not playing the AO, as bad as this sounds, may liven things up for once.

Clarky21
10-29-2012, 07:01 AM
If he does miss the AO, he will be giving many of the lower ranked players a chance to break through. A semifinal run for Raonic, for instance. Nadal not playing the AO, as bad as this sounds, may liven things up for once.

I have a feeling you would not be so thrilled about livening things up if it were Fed we were talking about. And if the younger guys can't break through the current top 4,and need one of them to slip in the rankings for it to happen,I'd say that's their own fault. The don't deserve it if they can't beat the best.

sadowsk2
10-29-2012, 07:06 AM

I think the Nadal camp has been pretty honest... He's got tendinosis in his patella tendon... If you knew anything about the injury and the nature of how a tendon heals you'd understand the timetable to return from that type of injury can range from anywhere to 6-24 months... Tendons are slow to heal despite even the best medical attention currently available... The only thing he can do (short of invasive surgery) is continue to vigourosly rehab and monitor the healing progress... He may not come back until the next US Open, though I suspect the fact he's still relatively young, and diliagently devoting essentially full time towards rehabbing he'll be back between the AO and the Clay court season next year...

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 07:10 AM
I have a feeling you would not be so thrilled about livening things up if it were Fed we were talking about. And if the younger guys can't break through the current top 4,and need one of them to slip in the rankings for it to happen,I'd say that's their own fault. The don't deserve it if they can't beat the best.
People are starting to figure Federer out anyway.

Clarky21
10-29-2012, 07:13 AM

No they're not. Fed lost the final in Basel. It's not like he lost the Wimby final for crying out loud.

tennis_pro
10-29-2012, 07:15 AM
I think the Nadal camp has been pretty honest... He's got tendinosis in his patella tendon... If you knew anything about the injury and the nature of how a tendon heals you'd understand the timetable to return from that type of injury can range from anywhere to 6-24 months... Tendons are slow to heal despite even the best medical attention currently available... The only thing he can do (short of invasive surgery) is continue to vigourosly rehab and monitor the healing progress... He may not come back until the next US Open, though I suspect the fact he's still relatively young, and diliagently devoting essentially full time towards rehabbing he'll be back between the AO and the Clay court season next year...

Oh he'll be back before the clay season, alright. I'm sure Nadal will start to feel waaaaay better when we reach Monte Carlo.

tennis_pro
10-29-2012, 07:17 AM

Maybe finally they figured out that he's not 25 anymore? What a revelation!

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 07:18 AM
No they're not. Fed lost the final in Basel. It's not like he lost the Wimby final for crying out loud.
It will happen eventually.

augustobt
10-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Maybe finally they figured out that he's not 25 anymore? What a revelation!

That is hard for some people to see!

Clarky21
10-29-2012, 07:29 AM
It will happen eventually.

Well it already happened to Nadal who is 5 years younger,so I think Fed has done pretty darn well considering his age. Your guy also has 17 slams and numerous records to his name. Consider yourself lucky that you are a Fed fan and not a long suffering Nadal fan like me.

tennis_pro
10-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Well it already happened to Nadal who is 5 years younger,so I think Fed has done pretty darn well considering his age. Your guy also has 17 slams and numerous records to his name. Consider yourself lucky that you are a Fed fan and not a long suffering Nadal fan like me.

Yea you poor child, your idol has only 11 majors in his pocket so far. If Federer won that few I'd probably stop supporting him!

Jesus, some people...

Sentinel
10-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Believe me, we considered ourselves very fortunate all these years watching Fed being abused by your man (lol, /sarc).

I doubt there's much more Nadal and CO. can say about the injury, it's not like injuries give our their departure dates. Imagine his suffering, while you chaps go about your jobs earning your fortunes, living it up.

It;ll be awful if Nadal doesnt come back in form at AO. Imagine some low ranked player making it to the semis and getting routed while the other semi is tough.

Hawkeye7
10-29-2012, 07:48 AM

He won 11 slams and might win more... yeah, I feel so sorry for you (and me too btw).

NadalAgassi
10-29-2012, 08:15 AM
I expect Nadal will play the Australian Open and if he does and is semi fit he will outperform Ferrer there with atleast a semifinal, while Ferrer will lose in the quarters to one of the big 4 at best. In fact of the guys ranked 5-8 Ferrer has the least ability to beat any of the top 4, except for Djokovic and Murray (but definitely not Federer or Nadal) on a clay court only.

I also dont think such a weak (relatively speaking) player in the top 4 would be good. It would create the same unbalanced draws we see in the womens game. 3 of Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, or Federer will end up in one half, while the remaining one will end up in the half with Ferrer and have a bye to the final, with often some unknown making it out of Ferrer's section probably.

joeri888
10-29-2012, 08:19 AM

If they speed up the AO court and make 40 shot rallies the exception rather than the norm, guys like Tsonga and Berdych might actually stand a chance.

Towser83
10-29-2012, 08:37 AM

Lol i agree for once. no Nadal makes an unbalanced draw and i want to see someone upset the standard top 4 semi because they played amazing tennis to beat one of them. Not cos one of them didn't play.

And yeah after 9 years of winning slams people are figuring fed out. no he's just getting older and i am pleased with his year.

Ms Nadal
10-29-2012, 10:27 AM
I know, this Rafa absense is really bad for his fans! :(. It is just ongoing and we miss him so much!. The fans of the other three are lucky as they do not have all these injuries like Rafa. I can see why people would like to have different people in the semis but I do like the top 4 rivalries. When these newbies get to the semis they can really get lost in the occasion and don't perform and get beaten easily.

SQA333
10-29-2012, 10:46 AM
I know, this Rafa absense is really bad for his fans! :(. It is just ongoing and we miss him so much!. The fans of the other three are lucky as they do not have all these injuries like Rafa. I can see why people would like to have different people in the semis but I do like the top 4 rivalries. When these newbies get to the semis they can really get lost in the occasion and don't perform and get beaten easily.

Tsonga nearly took his semifinal to a 5th set at Wimbledon against Murray; likewise with Berdych against Murray (I believe Berdman actually had set points) in NY, and Djokovic would have lost had they continued playing in the windy conditions at the USO against Ferrer.

Last season Tsonga again played a great and very entertaining match against Djokovic in the semifinal at Wimbledon, and Ferrer nearly went up 2 sets to 0 against Murray in Australia.

Let's not forget in 2009, Del Potro (in his first 2 grand slam semifinals) was 2 sets to 1 up on Federer at RG, and famously gave Nadal his worst ever Grand Slam beating in New York.

Moral of the story: these "newbies" you speak of aren't that incompetent.

forzamilan90
10-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Ferrer best Nadal at the AO not long ago so this is actually a cool match up I would like to see at the AO

Ms Nadal
10-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Ok folks. You may get your wish! None of the top 4 in semis will be great! :) ENJOY!

MichaelNadal
10-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Ferrer best Nadal at the AO not long ago so this is actually a cool match up I would like to see at the AO

Me too, maybe im a minority but I love Ferrer-Nadal matches. Always so intense!!

hisrob777
10-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Ferrer is a valiant warrior among Gods(Big 4)

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Ok folks. You may get your wish! None of the top 4 in semis will be great! :) ENJOY!
We would get a new top four then.

Ms Nadal
10-29-2012, 11:22 AM
We would get a new top four then.

You never know. Could happen! :)

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 11:25 AM
You never know. Could happen! :)
It would happen if the current top four can't make the semifinals at any slam.

tennis_pro
11-03-2012, 08:39 AM
This thread needs a bump.

Technically, Ferrer to be ranked higher than Nadal at the end of 2012 would have to:

- beat Llodra in the SF and Janowicz in the F of the Paris Masters. Looks doable
- advance to the final of the WTF - ok he's got Federer in his group but also Tipsarevic and Del Potro, reaching the semis is possible for him
- win the semis. This is the most difficult part. He would have to beat probably either Murray or Djokovic.

Gonzo_style
11-03-2012, 08:47 AM
This thread needs a bump.

Technically, Ferrer to be ranked higher than Nadal at the end of 2012 would have to:

- beat Llodra in the SF and Janowicz in the F of the Paris Masters. Looks doable
- advance to the final of the WTF - ok he's got Federer in his group but also Tipsarevic and Del Potro, reaching the semis is possible for him
- win the semis. This is the most difficult part. He would have to beat probably either Murray or Djokovic.

Why? He beat Murray and djokovic last year

tennis_pro
11-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Why? He beat Murray and djokovic last year

This is the most difficult part of the 3.

I can see Ferrer beating Llodra and Janowicz in Paris, I think it's highly probable for him to beat Del Potro and Tipsarevic but beating either Murray/Djokovic AGAIN is the toughest part.

vive le beau jeu !
11-03-2012, 09:06 AM
with a decent AO, it looks very reasonnable... vamos david. :)

Gonzo_style
11-03-2012, 09:07 AM
This is the most difficult part of the 3.

I can see Ferrer beating Llodra and Janowicz in Paris, I think it's highly probable for him to beat Del Potro and Tipsarevic but beating either Murray/Djokovic AGAIN is the toughest part.

I agree, but if David lost for a few hours this will all seem pointless...And David would played 3 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS, i don't know how much he will have energy for WTFs...

tennis_pro
11-03-2012, 09:12 AM
I agree, but if David lost for a few hours this will all seem pointless...And David would played 3 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS, i don't know how much he will have energy for WTFs...

Don't you worry, he'll be as fresh as a daisy!

tennis_pro
11-04-2012, 08:01 AM
One down, two to go. Ferrer is like 770 p behind the nadal currently, all he needs to do now is to win two round robin matches and the semis to end the year ahead of the rafa. Heres hoping ferru doesnt burns out this week

norbac
11-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Are there any possible points to be gained through Davis Cup?

Steve0904
11-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Are there any possible points to be gained through Davis Cup?

Yes I believe so. It says on the ATP website that DC is 625 pts, and Ferrer has 295 pts from that last year, but I have no idea how it actually works.

tata
11-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Even if he doesn't get ahead of Rafa before AO, Rafa still has a final to defend, and that's coming off 6 months of no play.

Daized
11-05-2012, 02:01 AM
If Ferrer gets number 4 somehow, it's possible to have a side of the draw be utter hell for murray fed or djoker. Imagine having nadal in your quarter :shock:.

joeri888
11-05-2012, 02:08 AM
If Ferrer gets number 4 somehow, it's possible to have a side of the draw be utter hell for murray fed or djoker. Imagine having nadal in your quarter :shock:.

Yeah, would be refreshing, because it would give players like Ferrer and Delpo a good shot to make some stronger runs in Slams.

Djoker-Nadal quarterfinal at the AO would be a joy! See those two go at it for 6 hours with a fresh Delpo waiting in the semis, would make some tourneys more interesting.

sdont
11-05-2012, 02:13 AM
Yes I believe so. It says on the ATP website that DC is 625 pts, and Ferrer has 295 pts from that last year, but I have no idea how it actually works.

Ferrer has 220 points from this year in DC, +75 points from last year's final, which will be replaced by the points he earns in the final this year (75 for each live rubber win).

He did not participate in the 1st round, so cannot gain any bonus. At best, he will end 2012 with 370 points for DC.

CMM
11-05-2012, 03:32 AM
:mad: .................

kOaMaster
11-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Ferrer has 220 points from this year in DC, +75 points from last year's final, which will be replaced by the points he earns in the final this year (75 for each live rubber win).

He did not participate in the 1st round, so cannot gain any bonus. At best, he will end 2012 with 370 points for DC.

how many will rafa lose (he's got 220 atm)?

sdont
11-05-2012, 04:59 AM
how many will rafa lose (he's got 220 atm)?

Nadal's got 150 points right now from last year's final. He'll lose them unless he plays in the final this year.

tennis_pro
11-05-2012, 05:08 AM
Nadal's got 150 points right now from last year's final. He'll lose them unless he plays in the final this year.

Either way Ferrer is in a perfect position to be ranked higher than Nadal, if not at the end of 2012 (although I give him a 20-30 % of that currently), then after the Australian Open.

Tennis_Hands
11-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Yeah, would be refreshing, because it would give players like Ferrer and Delpo a good shot to make some stronger runs in Slams.

Djoker-Nadal quarterfinal at the AO would be a joy! See those two go at it for 6 hours with a fresh Delpo waiting in the semis, would make some tourneys more interesting.

What would be even more interesting is a Federer-Nadal QF.

Bring it on!

joeri888
11-05-2012, 05:25 AM
What would be even more interesting is a Federer-Nadal QF.

Bring it on!

Lol, yeah. Though a bit quicker surface would be welcome.

Clarky21
11-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Yeah, would be refreshing, because it would give players like Ferrer and Delpo a good shot to make some stronger runs in Slams. Djoker-Nadal quarterfinal at the AO would be a joy! See those two go at it for 6 hours with a fresh Delpo waiting in the semis, would make some tourneys more interesting.

If they can't get through the slams without help from Nadal's injury woes,than they don't deserve it,and it's anything but "refreshing". Pathetic people on this board just keep getting even more pathetic.

joeri888
11-05-2012, 06:51 AM
If they can't get through the slams without help from Nadal's injury woes,than they don't deserve it,and it's anything but "refreshing". Pathetic people on this board just keep getting even more pathetic.

Why would you call me pathetic for just wanting to see other people make runs? I don't care about the same players playing over and over. I like to see different matchups, on REALLY different surfaces, not giving us a clue what's gonna happen next time. Tennis has become very predictable the last 10 years.

Clarky21
11-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Why would you call me pathetic for just wanting to see other people make runs? I don't care about the same players playing over and over. I like to see different matchups, on REALLY different surfaces, not giving us a clue what's gonna happen next time. Tennis has become very predictable the last 10 years.

Because this is not the only reason. It's Nadal hate,and nothing else.

Towser83
11-05-2012, 07:01 AM

Well surely Nadal doesn't deserve to be in finals when he just gets his arse beaten by Djokovic, if he's out it gives other people a chance who will do a much better job than nadal right?

Clarky21
11-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Well surely Nadal doesn't deserve to be in finals when he just gets his arse beaten by Djokovic, if he's out it gives other people a chance who will do a much better job than nadal right?

Right,but I also don't like to see gloating about other player's having a "refreshing" chance to go deep in slams because Nadal's ranking dropped due to injury. If you can't get where I am coming from on this then I don't know what to tell you.

joeri888
11-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Because this is not the only reason. It's Nadal hate,and nothing else.

It's not. As you may know, I am a big Federer fan, above being a tennisfan. After that, I don't care if it's Nadal, Djoker or Murray who falls. I like new faces and think tennis needs them. I loved Paris last week. You on the other hand, just hate tennis but love Nadal.

Even if it's Federer facing Nadal in a quarter, however scary that is.. I'd like the dynamics to change. I don't ever said I like Nadal to be injured. Au contraire. However, a ranking change can lead to some possible interesting events next year. I don't see how my post constitutes as pathetic. Certainly coming from you with your negativity towards Nadal, that says a lot. You said worse things about Rafa than I ever did, but it's okay since you love him secretly right?

Clarky21
11-05-2012, 07:18 AM
It's not. As you may know, I am a big Federer fan, above being a tennisfan. After that, I don't care if it's Nadal, Djoker or Murray who falls. I like new faces and think tennis needs them. I loved Paris last week. You on the other hand, just hate tennis but love Nadal.

Even if it's Federer facing Nadal in a quarter, however scary that is.. I'd like the dynamics to change. I don't ever said I like Nadal to be injured. Au contraire. However, a ranking change can lead to some possible interesting events next year. I don't see how my post constitutes as pathetic. Certainly coming from you with your negativity towards Nadal, that says a lot. You said worse things about Rafa than I ever did, but it's okay since you love him secretly right?

I really hope that happens if Nadal is going to drop to #5. :twisted:

joeri888
11-05-2012, 07:23 AM

It would sure be good for tennis :) (even tho, I'm even more of a Federer than a tennisfan, which I never made a secret of).

tacou
11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
how long would ferrer keep it? could nadal win FO as #5 seed??

NadalAgassi
11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
how long would ferrer keep it? could nadal win FO as #5 seed??

Draws for Nadal on clay are meaningless. The only current player with an outside shot against him at the FO is Djokovic. Imagine Federer, Murray, Del Potro, Ferrer, or Berdych beating Nadal at Roland Garros, ROTFL!

Tennis_Hands
11-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Draws for Nadal on clay are meaningless. The only current player with an outside shot against him at the FO is Djokovic. Imagine Federer, Murray, Del Potro, Ferrer, or Berdych beating Nadal at Roland Garros, ROTFL!

So, you do not see any of those players beating Nadal at RG in the near future (say the next 3-4 years).

:roll:

NadalAgassi
11-05-2012, 11:28 AM
So, you do not see any of those players beating Nadal at RG in the near future (say the next 3-4 years).

Federer and Ferrer are older than Nadal, much older, and were never much of a threat to Nadal at Roland Garros. Murray is not a great clay courter, and likely never will be. Berdych is also older than Nadal, has been Nadal's pigeon since 2007, and also is not a great clay courter. Only a **** could roll their eyes at an obviously correct statement. If Nadal has declined so much he could lose to any of those players at Roland Garros at this point he would probably be too injured to continue playing at a decent level and retire soon anyway.

veroniquem
11-05-2012, 11:39 AM
I completely agree with NadalAgassi. On clay, Rafa will tear through any draw. The #4 only matters for AO or Wimbledon. But you know, unless he starts playing real soon, it's unreasonable to expect him to stay at #4. One cannot maintain such a high ranking without playing. And unless he starts practising real soon, I don't see how he will be ready to roll at the beginning of January.

Tennis_Hands
11-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Federer and Ferrer are older than Nadal, much older, and were never much of a threat to Nadal at Roland Garros. Murray is not a great clay courter, and likely never will be. Berdych is also older than Nadal, has been Nadal's pigeon since 2007, and also is not a great clay courter. Only a **** could roll their eyes at an obviously correct statement.

Living in the past, are we?

I will be reminding you, should Nadal loses to any of those players at RG.

Love *******s and their blind faith.

NadalAgassi
11-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Some up and comers "might" emerge at some point who could start beating Nadal on clay, although that seems less likely with the weak up and coming group who all specialize on faster courts coming up. However it isnt going to be guys into are heading into their 30s who never came close to beating Nadal at Roland Garros.

NadalAgassi
11-05-2012, 11:44 AM

Love ****s and their blind stupidity and blind hatred and butthurt over Nadal. Of the incredibly dumb group you are one of the dumbest for sure though, every single one of your posts are always good for a huge LOL! Funniest of all is I get the impression you arent trying to be a troll like most others who post similarily stupid things which truly makes you a special one.

Tennis_Hands
11-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Some up and comers "might" emerge at some point who could start beating Nadal on clay, although that seems less likely with the weak up and coming group who all specialize on faster courts coming up. However it isnt going to be guys into are heading into their 30s who never came close to beating Nadal at Roland Garros.

Your statement has been duly noted and preserved for further use.

You were quite specific about the players, who cannot beat Nadal at RG at any point in the near future. There is no need to further introduce up and comers in this.

Love ****s and their blind stupidity and blind hatred and butthurt over Nadal. Of the incredibly dumb group you are one of the dumbest for sure though, every single one of your posts are always good for a huge LOL! Funniest of all is I get the impression you arent trying to be a troll like most others who post similarily stupid things which truly makes you a special one.

EDIT: HAHAHA at the edit of your original statement. My God, how hilarious it can get. So, after all you are not so sure, that that cannot happen. It didn't take more than 10 minutes to change your mind.

Clarky21
11-05-2012, 11:45 AM

You sure have a lot of room to talk,*******. It seems the only reason you even post here is to sl*g off on Nadal fans. You also way overuse the eye rolling smiley as well.

tennis_pro
11-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Another one down. All Ferrer has to do now is to beat Tipsarevic and whoever he faces in the semi-finals, most probably the winner of the Murray-Djokovic match. This for the year-end top 4 ranking.

Btw how many matches in a row has Ferrer won now?

Gonzo_style
11-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Another one down. All Ferrer has to do now is to beat Tipsarevic and whoever he faces in the semi-finals, most probably the winner of the Murray-Djokovic match. This for the year-end top 4 ranking.

Btw how many matches in a row has Ferrer won now?

Eleven right now

Towser83
11-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Why? You don't mean you think Nadal will win???!!!!

:lol:

Crisstti
11-06-2012, 05:03 PM
I also dont think such a weak (relatively speaking) player in the top 4 would be good. It would create the same unbalanced draws we see in the womens game. 3 of Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, or Federer will end up in one half, while the remaining one will end up in the half with Ferrer and have a bye to the final, with often some unknown making it out of Ferrer's section probably.

Yep. If another player is going to be in the semis it should be because he's actually good enough. Otherwise it's just going to unbalance the draws (people were already complaining they were unbalanced on favour of whoever had to play Murray in the semis).

BTW, just how would a Nadal-Fed quarter be better for tennis than a semi or final?.

Clarky21
11-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Yep. If another player is going to be in the semis it should be because he's actually good enough. Otherwise it's just going to unbalance the draws (people were already complaining they were unbalanced on favour of whoever had to play Murray in the semis).

BTW, just how would a Nadal-Fed quarter be better for tennis than a semi or final?.

Or how about the nightmarish thought of Nadal having to play **** in the quarters? :shock: If Nadal ends up in ****'s draw I hope he loses before he makes it to the quarters. I don't even want to think about the thrashing Nadal would take if he didn't.

cc0509
11-06-2012, 05:36 PM

I am not sure about 3-4 years ( I think Nadal will be retired or close to it by then) but I don't see many people beating Nadal at the FO this year and probably next. Djokovic has a shot and I guess so does Murray. Don't think Federer will do it at age 31 at Nadal's strongest slam. At off clay slams however, Federer, Djokovic and Murray all have a good shot against Nadal imo.

Towser83
11-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Surely there is no way Ferrer can climb above Nadal before the AO even if he wins the WTF (which he wont)?

Or if he manages to win a pre AO event plus grab points at DC and Nadal doesn't get any points pre AO, is there a chance?

I think Nadalmight dropafter the AO, because Ferrer is on a good run at the moment, but not sure it will happen before..

Clarky21
11-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Surely there is no way Ferrer can climb above Nadal before the AO even if he wins the WTF (which he wont)?

Or if he manages to win a pre AO event plus grab points at DC and Nadal doesn't get any points pre AO, is there a chance?

I think Nadalmight dropafter the AO, because Ferrer is on a good run at the moment, but not sure it will happen before..

I think he can get to #4 if he makes the final at the WTF. I'm not sure though.

Towser83
11-06-2012, 05:45 PM
I think he can get to #4 if he makes the final at the WTF. I'm not sure though.

I'm trying to look at it on atp live rankings but it's saying the max points he can get is (which I assume is if he wins the whole thing) 6530 with Nadal on 6795

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong

http://live-tennis.eu/

Crisstti
11-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Or how about the nightmarish thought of Nadal having to play **** in the quarters? :shock: If Nadal ends up in ****'s draw I hope he loses before he makes it to the quarters. I don't even want to think about the thrashing Nadal would take if he didn't.

You mean at the AO?. With Rafa not having played before, yeah, it sure wouldn't look good at all. But if/when Rafa is fine physically and has match practice, I wouldn't really mind it.

cc0509
11-06-2012, 05:56 PM
You mean at the AO?. With Rafa not having played before, yeah, it sure wouldn't look good at all. But if/when Rafa is fine physically and has match practice, I wouldn't really mind it.

You should mind it. Off clay, Djokovic will always be a threat to Nadal, even a healthy one. Djokovic is at his very peak right now, Murray is as well.

Steve0904
11-06-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm trying to look at it on atp live rankings but it's saying the max points he can get is (which I assume is if he wins the whole thing) 6530 with Nadal on 6795

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong

http://live-tennis.eu/

The WTF points from last year have already been deducted. So right now Nadal is at 6,795 pts while Ferrer is 6,030. Which means that the least Ferrer has to do to surpass Nadal is win 2 RR matches and his SF, thus picking up 800 pts and leaving him at 6,830.

Crisstti
11-06-2012, 05:59 PM
You should mind it. Off clay, Djokovic will always be a threat to Nadal, even a healthy one. Djokovic is at his very peak right now, Murray is as well.

I think he's more vulnerable earlier on in tournaments.

Of course, it's always better to be higher up in the rankings and avoid those situations until the finals.

cc0509
11-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Of course, it's always better to be higher up in the rankings and avoid those situations until the finals.

Yeah, it is hard to say how Nadal will do at the AO or in other off clay slams. We will have to wait and see.

Steve0904
11-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Who's more vulnerable earlier in tournaments? Djokovic or Nadal? As it is, I don't think it matters what round Djokovic and Nadal play. Djokovic will always be trouble for Nadal at least off clay, much the same as Nadal is for Federer.

Crisstti
11-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Who's more vulnerable earlier in tournaments? Djokovic or Nadal? As it is, I don't think it matters what round Djokovic and Nadal play. Djokovic will always be trouble for Nadal at least off clay, much the same as Nadal is for Federer.

I meant Djokovic. He will always be trouble, but at least it seemed to me last year and even this year (think how Novak played most of RG) Nadal would have had a much better chance to beat Novak before the finals.

Steve0904
11-06-2012, 06:36 PM
I meant Djokovic. He will always be trouble, but at least it seemed to me last year and even this year (think how Novak played most of RG) Nadal would have had a much better chance to beat Novak before the finals.

True, but that was clay not a HC that happens to be Djokovic's best surface.

Sabratha
11-06-2012, 06:42 PM
If Nadal and Djokovic met in the QFs of the slams instead, Nadal's ranking would drop back to about 7-10. Since I predict he will always lose to Djokovic, unless it's on clay.

Towser83
11-06-2012, 06:43 PM
The WTF points from last year have already been deducted. So right now Nadal is at 6,795 pts while Ferrer is 6,030. Which means that the least Ferrer has to do to surpass Nadal is win 2 RR matches and his SF, thus picking up 800 pts and leaving him at 6,830.

I was looking at the live RACE rankings on that site though.. and it says Nadal is on 6,795 so that matches what you say, but it says Ferrer is on 5230.. so I guess live rankings site must be wrong?

Confused by I'll take your word for it as sky said he could overtake Nadal too

Steve0904
11-06-2012, 07:08 PM
I was looking at the live RACE rankings on that site though.. and it says Nadal is on 6,795 so that matches what you say, but it says Ferrer is on 5230.. so I guess live rankings site must be wrong?

Confused by I'll take your word for it as sky said he could overtake Nadal too

The 6,030 pts I got for Ferrer came from the atpworldtour.com website. My best guess would be that they haven't updated for Ferrer's Paris win yet, but that still leaves 20 pts unaccounted for, so that might have something to do with some obscure countable tournament or something like that.

EDIT: I see it now. Just looked at your link Towser. They haven't updated the 1000 pts Ferrer got for Paris. Without the update on the live site he had 5,030 pts before he won his match today, so now he has 5,230 pts after his win, but it should read 6,230 counting the pts from Paris.

Towser83
11-06-2012, 07:23 PM
The 6,030 pts I got for Ferrer came from the atpworldtour.com website. My best guess would be that they haven't updated for Ferrer's Paris win yet, but that still leaves 20 pts unaccounted for, so that might have something to do with some obscure countable tournament or something like that.

EDIT: I see it now. Just looked at your link Towser. They haven't updated the 1000 pts Ferrer got for Paris. Without the update on the live site he had 5,030 pts before he won his match today, so now he has 5,230 pts after his win, but it should read 6,230 counting the pts from Paris.

oh thank you! didn't think that they hadn't added his paris points, now he has got a really good chance to make the top 4. Would feel a bit bad for him if he immediately draws nadal in his quarter at the AO after finally making the top 4 :lol: though he could well beat Nadal considering he has before and Nadal has been out for so long

Crisstti
11-06-2012, 07:52 PM
True, but that was clay not a HC that happens to be Djokovic's best surface.

He wasn't too great in Wimbledon last year either before the final. I'm thinking it's less noticeable on hc because he's better there, but it should still be true.

Steve0904
11-06-2012, 08:06 PM
He wasn't too great in Wimbledon last year either before the final. I'm thinking it's less noticeable on hc because he's better there, but it should still be true.

Nadal is also not the fastest starter either though. You could argue all the top guys are like that. They work their way into form for the latter end of the tournament. The truth is, by the time a QF comes around both guys should be warmed up.

tennis_pro
11-07-2012, 03:51 AM

I partly agree. Nadal, if his ranking drop to no 5 that is, could well end up in "Ferrer's section" which would pretty much have the same effect as him being in the top 4. There's a 50/50 chance of him ending up in one half or the other.

This is what I think - if Nadal comes back fit enough to play regularly, he will be back to the top 4 in no time no matter what Ferrer does. If not, well, somebody has to take his place to fill in the blank. Without Nadal around the draw is unbalanced anyway.

On second thought, it would be fun to see Nadal ranked 5th for a tournament or two to see what happens. We all know the story with the top 4 being the top 4 - they all end up in the semi-finals. What if Djokovic faces Nadal, Murray and Federer in the last 3 rounds, for example? I'd love to know.

kOaMaster
11-07-2012, 03:54 AM
(If Ferrer wins two single DC final matches and all his three RR-matches he'd be #4 as well)

batz
11-07-2012, 04:00 AM
I partly agree. Nadal, if his ranking drop to no 5 that is, could well end up in "Ferrer's section" which would pretty much have the same effect as him being in the top 4. There's a 50/50 chance of him ending up in one half or the other.

This is what I think - if Nadal comes back fit enough to play regularly, he will be back to the top 4 in no time no matter what Ferrer does. If not, well, somebody has to take his place to fill in the blank. Without Nadal around the draw is unbalanced anyway.

On second thought, it would be fun to see Nadal ranked 5th for a tournament or two to see what happens. We all know the story with the top 4 being the top 4 - they all end up in the semi-finals. What if Djokovic faces Nadal, Murray and Federer in the last 3 rounds, for example? I'd love to know.

Murray was seeded 5th at the 2010 and 2011 Australian Opens - played Rafa in the QFs in 2010. Spooky thing was he went to number 5 in the week of the draw on both occasions.

namelessone
11-07-2012, 05:37 AM
You sure have a lot of room to talk,*******. It seems the only reason you even post here is to sl*g off on Nadal fans. You also way overuse the eye rolling smiley as well.

How dare Nadal fans believe that their fav player will still do well on clay with the clay season being roughly 5 months away(hopefully Nadal will have played a couple of months until then) and Nadal being arguably the best ever on this surface?

I don't even understand what Tennis Hands is mad about - that a Nadal fan has faith in his favourite player? LOL.

joeri888
11-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Murray was seeded 5th at the 2010 and 2011 Australian Opens - played Rafa in the QFs in 2010. Spooky thing was he went to number 5 in the week of the draw on both occasions.

Yes. And this opened the door for CILIC to make a grandslam semifinal. Makes it interesting.

RAFA2005RG
11-13-2012, 05:11 AM
If Nadal and Djokovic met in the QFs of the slams instead, Nadal's ranking would drop back to about 7-10. Since I predict he will always lose to Djokovic, unless it's on clay.

Under your scenario Nadal would be ranked 7-10?

Nadal would win 2-3 Master Shields per year:
Monte Carlo.
Rome.
Maybe Madrid.

And Nadal would win Roland Garros every year.

And he would lose in the 4th Round of the other slams (even though Djokovic needed 6 hours to beat Nadal at the AO....).

That sounds like a better year than Ferrer, and Ferrer is ranked 5th.

Desertman
11-13-2012, 07:36 AM
By the Australian Open, Nadal would have been out with an injury for more than 6 months.

According to ATP rules, any player who has a recognised injury absence of between 6 months and one year will have a preserved ranking based on his average ranking over the first three months of his injury absence. This preserved ranking will last for his first 9 tournaments.

Nadal's average ranking in his first three months of absence is 3, so he wil likely be ranked 3 for his first 9 tournaments back after injury.

tacou
11-13-2012, 07:39 AM
That sounds like a better year than Ferrer, and Ferrer is ranked 5th.

Ferrer made 2 QF and 2 SF. He'd obviously love to win a major but 3 R16 exits would be very sub par for David at the moment

tacou
11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
By the Australian Open, Nadal would have been out with an injury for more than 6 months.

According to ATP rules, any player who has a recognised injury absence of between 6 months and one year will have a preserved ranking based on his average ranking over the first three months of his injury absence. This preserved ranking will last for his first 9 tournaments.

Nadal's average ranking in his first three months of absence is 3, so he wil likely be ranked 3 for his first 9 tournaments back after injury.

I'm assuming the 6 week off season counts? When did his injury officially begin? He played Wimbledon and did not lose by injury retirement so I am assuming it starts July 9 at the earliest (day after Wimbledon).

That means six months would be January 9th, 5 days before AO. So when the draw is made, Rafa will be out less than six months, and also will have (hopefully) played a few exo matches.

Will be interesting to see how that all works out.

joeri888
11-13-2012, 07:49 AM

Wrong. He will have a preserved ranking to get qualification for an event. So if it was an event for which only four plays could qualify, he would get in ahead of Ferrer. For seeding on the other hand, protected ranking does not help if I'm correct.

Desertman
11-13-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm assuming the 6 week off season counts? When did his injury officially begin? He played Wimbledon and did not lose by injury retirement so I am assuming it starts July 9 at the earliest (day after Wimbledon).

That means six months would be January 9th, 5 days before AO. So when the draw is made, Rafa will be out less than six months, and also will have (hopefully) played a few exo matches.

Will be interesting to see how that all works out.

It is not about when the draw is made but about when he plays his first tournament after the injury timeout. If he declares himself available for the AO then at the time of the draw it will be apparent that this tournament is more than 6 months after his injury timeout. Therefore, he will be automatically seeded 3.

Interestingly, it is not in his best interests to play tournaments right at the beginning of the year as this would not be six months from the start of his official injury. If he did that, he'd play whatever ranking he had by the AO (likely 4).

joeri888
11-13-2012, 08:20 AM
It is not about when the draw is made but about when he plays his first tournament after the injury timeout. If he declares himself available for the AO then at the time of the draw it will be apparent that this tournament is more than 6 months after his injury timeout. Therefore, he will be automatically seeded 3.

Interestingly, it is not in his best interests to play tournaments right at the beginning of the year as this would not be six months from the start of his official injury. If he did that, he'd play whatever ranking he had by the AO (likely 4).

Did you even read my post?

Desertman
11-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Wrong. He will have a preserved ranking to get qualification for an event. So if it was an event for which only four plays could qualify, he would get in ahead of Ferrer. For seeding on the other hand, protected ranking does not help if I'm correct.

True, but he will take the position of the No.3 seed in the draw and position in the draw is critical.

Desertman
11-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Did you even read my post?

Nope. I didn't bother.

joeri888
11-13-2012, 08:23 AM
True, but he will take the position of the No.3 seed in the draw and position in the draw is critical.

Uhm, is that true? I don't think so. I think that Delpo was unseeded when he came back, even though his protected ranking let him actually participate with a protected ranking of like '10' or something.

RF20Lennon
11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Not sure how nadal will be when he return probably a but rusty and will ferrer's form carry over?? That's the question

joeri888
11-13-2012, 08:27 AM
To my knowledge, everything Fee said is correct. The only parts I am 100% sure on are that, "He will be allowed to use it for 8 tournaments within 9 months time. As soon as he uses the PR once, the clock starts ticking. The PR is only to get on the entry list, it is not for seeding in the tournament draw."

I am not sure how they calculate the PR though.

source: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=328825

kOaMaster
11-13-2012, 09:48 AM

how on earth would that be true?
this is crap. he is allowed to enter via special exemptions, usually each tournament has 1-2 positions reserved for that. this is not a wild card too.

the tournament seeding wil be according to the ranking and this has nothing to do with his preserved ranking.

you can go and check it for example in the draw of the AO 2011:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Australian_Open_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles

edit: and here is the official version
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx#protected
What is a protected ranking and who is eligible?

A. A player may petition the Executive Chairman & President for an Entry Protection when he is physically injured and does not compete in any tennis event for a minimum period of six months. The written petition must be received within six months of his last tournament.

The Entry Protection shall be a position in the South African Airways ATP Rankings, as determined by the player's average South African Airways ATP Rankings position during the first three months of his injury. The Entry Protection shall be for entry into the main draw or qualifying competition or for special exempt consideration. The Entry Protection shall not be used for seeding purposes, Lucky Loser consideration or for entry into the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.

The Entry Protection shall be in effect for either the first nine tournaments that the player competes in using the Entry Protection (excluding wild cards and entries as a Direct Acceptance with his current position in the South African Airways ATP Rankings) or for the period up to nine months beginning with the first tennis event that the player competes in, whichever occurs first.

Desertman
11-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Let's see then