PDA

View Full Version : Tomic in trouble .... again.

Paul Murphy
10-29-2012, 05:29 AM
I see that Australia's resident tennis jerk is at it again:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/tennis/tennis-star-bernard-tomic-under-police-investigation-after-a-surfers-paradise-brawl/story-fnddjf3n-1226505623777

Sabratha
10-29-2012, 05:32 AM
I am going to be honest, I don't like Tomic.

dr325i
10-29-2012, 05:34 AM
The Balkan genes...

Paul Murphy
10-29-2012, 05:35 AM
I am going to be honest, I don't like Tomic.

Me neither. Or that father of his.
What a shame they don't take their talents back to the "old country", where I'm sure they'll be more appreciated .

Steve0904
10-29-2012, 05:36 AM
"If only he tried so hard for so long on the tennis court." I think the first sentence is a pretty nice summation.

dimeaxe
10-29-2012, 05:41 AM
The Balkan genes...

Why doc, WHYYYYYYYYYYYY??????:)

The Bawss
10-29-2012, 05:41 AM
"If only he tried so hard for so long on the tennis court." I think the first sentence is a pretty nice summation.

Thought that was pretty witty lol.

Paul Murphy
10-29-2012, 05:42 AM
And you can bet the usual suspects will trot out the usual excuses for little Bernard's behaviour.
Nasty cops out to get him, senior Australian tennis figures (some of them legends in the Aussie game) who push him too hard, expect too much, are nasty to little Bernard.
Good grief.

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Brimming to the rim with arrogance. The longer I know him the less I like him.

MurrayMyInspiration
10-29-2012, 05:53 AM
We all want him to fulfill his potential but can you not look at him and say "Fair play to Tomic, he has so much talent and a great game and hes going out and living the lifestyle while still earning a decent living on the professional tour". He likes his tennis, loves to party and cant be bothered exerting himself too much on the court. If he wants to be a party animal and enjoys his lifestyle, who are we to criticise him....I say hes an idiot with all the cops stuff and getting in to fights, But if he wants to get hammered and not train hard then thats his choice, Hes enjoying his lifestyle so ,good for him!!

westside
10-29-2012, 05:57 AM
The only part I hate about the Aussie summer down here is that I'll have to look at Bernie's mug in the paper every day. Cannot stand this child.

Paul Murphy
10-29-2012, 06:01 AM
The only part I hate about the Aussie summer down here is that I'll have to look at Bernie's mug in the paper every day. Cannot stand this child.

Agreed. For me it's the worst feature of the AO - the Seven Network fawning over little Bernard just gets too much.
If we're lucky he'll go out early.

pound cat
10-29-2012, 06:26 AM
He reminded police of "who he was...(Guardian)

What he is is a spoiled brat. Least popular person in the locker room I'm sure,

slickerthansleek
10-29-2012, 06:31 AM
You've got to be kidding me. I've tried so hard to like this guy, but he's making it impossible.

Agreed about the Seven network... I very quickly get over hearing about him. At this rate he'll bow out in R1 of the Australian Open.

single_handed_champion
10-29-2012, 06:44 AM
Don't like this brat. At all.

librarysteg
10-29-2012, 06:49 AM
I think 2013 will be a deciding year for him. If he keeps up with his 2012 form on and off the court, I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip from the top 100 and then just disappear from tennis all together. Maybe he'll find a mentor to help him get his head straightened out. It sounds like he wants everyone to shut up and leave him alone...best way to do that is to start playing some amazing tennis.

TheMusicLover
10-29-2012, 07:28 AM

Ewww, that's *bad*. Methinks he lacks a bit of proper upbringing!

rdis10093
10-29-2012, 07:33 AM
that is awesome a tennis player getting in a fight. marat did it once. can you guys see fed doing that I think not.

I like it

Sentinel
10-29-2012, 07:40 AM
More tennis stars should be like him. Current crop is awfully boring.

Bartelby
10-29-2012, 07:42 AM
The George Best of Australian tennis is in the building.

slickerthansleek
10-29-2012, 07:46 AM
I think the best thing for him to do would be to remove his father as his coach and get a REAL coach who can teach him some discipline. We all know he is talented, but his commitment and attitude are lacking, both on and off the court. Get someone who won't treat him like a little princess and it could do wonders for not only his game, but his entire life.

Hawkeye7
10-29-2012, 07:50 AM
I like the fact that everybody seems to hate him. Makes him seem much more appealing to me.

corners
10-29-2012, 07:56 AM
In the world of American football they have a word for these guys: turds. He's young though, so he may turn it around, but he's sure been turding it up since Melbourne.

tennisfan2010
10-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Sad how not only his career is unraveling but his life as well. Guy needs major help and guidance.

MAXXply
10-29-2012, 08:28 AM
I'll officially stop thinking he's the Next Big Thing in (Aust) Tennis when Nike drops him and he starts wearing Li-Ning gear or worse, Erke.

Towser83
10-29-2012, 08:29 AM
What a prat. has a bright orange car too..

skraggle
10-29-2012, 08:33 AM
He is the epitome of a guy who is "a legend in his own mind."

My favorite Tomic moment was when he asked that reporter during the recent contentious press conference, "What's your name? (Journo answers.) "I'll remember that."

Nothing more frightening than the wrath of Australia's Donald Young.

Mainad
10-29-2012, 08:35 AM

When he said that, it would have been great if one of them had pointed at him and shouted: "Hey...it's Tomic The Tank Engine!" :)

Bartelby
10-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Its a slur on Thomas, however, who is both a hard working and loyal little tank engine.

syc23
10-29-2012, 08:55 AM
There is still time for him. He's going through the Anakin Skywalker 'I'm confused' phase at the moment.

The lad has talent, he just needs to decide whether he wants to go down the Donald Young route or work his backside off like Murray.

I mentioned Murray as I think he has a game similar to the Scot. Tomic can generate a bigger FH but can vary it like Murray. The movement is suspect but I'm sure that can be worked on. Both have exceptional court sense and anticipation but Murray is a class above defensively.

Tomic should study the transition Murray went through during the summer of '08 when he was outclassed by Nadal at Wimbledon QF and proceeded to work like a trojan to beef up physically and improved his game and was duly rewarded with a first slam final at USO. The rest like they say is history.

I would say the best coach for Tomic would be Lendl - at least Ivan would knock some sense into him.

Mainad
10-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Tomic should study the transition Murray went through during the summer of '08 when he was outclassed by Nadal at Wimbledon QF and proceeded to work like a trojan to beef up physically and improved his game and was duly rewarded with a first slam final at USO. The rest like they say is history.

He's still got time. He's only just turned 20. Murray had just turned 21 when he realised he had to shape up and improve after that beat-down from Nadal at Wimbledon. Just over a month later he won his first Masters title and within 2 months had made his first Grand Slam final. That said, he was already a hard-worker and, by the time he was Tomic's exact age, he had already been in 5 ATP tour finals, winning 2 of them and was already ranked world #10. Tomic has yet to make an ATP final and his ranking seems to be heading ever further south. He desperately needs to find that determination and work-ethic that Murray had at that age and still has.

I would say the best coach for Tomic would be Lendl - at least Ivan would knock some sense into him.

I'm sure he would but I doubt Lendl would show any interest unless Tomic first proves to him that he has the desire and will to improve and go all the way!

dr325i
10-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Why doc, WHYYYYYYYYYYYY??????:)

Pa da se zna da su i braca Balkanci...zeleli to ili ne...
;)

Ms Nadal
10-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Tomic is just enjoying his youth. At least with Tomic, what you see is what you get. No fake pretence about him as being squeaky clean as Tiger Woods used to portray.

dr325i
10-29-2012, 11:17 AM
has a bright orange car too..

Explain this part, please...

Tennis_Hands
10-29-2012, 11:25 AM
On Australia Day this year, Tomic was issued a $300 ticket for driving his bright orange BMW M3 V8 in breach of the special conditions of his licence. Queensland law bans P-platers under 25 from driving eight-cylinder cars. Tomic had an exemption to drive to training

They create an exception, and then are complaining?

And why didn't they just withdraw that special privilege and leave him with the same rights just like everybody else?

Didn't know, that a tennis training can be accomplished only if the trainee is driving a car, powered by an 8-cylinder engine.

One has to question the actions of the authorities as much as the actions of the offenders. In Germany this case would have been resolved very quickly.

power level 800
10-29-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm not playing devil's advocate here. Nor condoning this type of behaviour but at the same time just cause he's famous doesn't mean he's automatically a role model or should be. He's just showing the rest of the world he's human that's all.

SoBad
10-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Don't see anything here - the tennis player was celebrating a birthday anniversary and made slight nose pushing around with a pal in the bath late at night. The sad bored angry sleepless rejected and unsatisfied woman upstairs heard the noise on her illegal mic and called the police, and now this is world news?

The Bawss
10-29-2012, 12:03 PM
There is still time for him. He's going through the Anakin Skywalker 'I'm confused' phase at the moment.

The lad has talent, he just needs to decide whether he wants to go down the Donald Young route or work his backside off like Murray.

I mentioned Murray as I think he has a game similar to the Scot. Tomic can generate a bigger FH but can vary it like Murray. The movement is suspect but I'm sure that can be worked on. Both have exceptional court sense and anticipation but Murray is a class above defensively.

Did Gasquet supply you with crack?

Borrelli
10-29-2012, 12:05 PM

What he is is a spoiled brat. Least popular person in the locker room I'm sure,

That's because they probably didn't know who the f#@$ he is. He has to tell people in order to remind them - fail!

SoBad
10-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Did Gasquet supply you with crack?

There were rumours reported in Miami Herald that after kissing crack-addicted girls, Gasquet often goes on these wild rampages kissing TTW-posting guys.

Mustard
10-29-2012, 01:18 PM
The George Best of Australian tennis is in the building.

George Best was a genius of a player, and he didn't start having his alcohol problems until he was already a legend of his sport.

batz
10-29-2012, 01:39 PM
What a prat. has a bright orange car too..

Is that Wolowitz hiding under a Union Jack in your avatar?

15_ounce
10-29-2012, 02:53 PM
When he said that, it would have been great if one of them had pointed at him and shouted: "Hey...it's Tomic The Tank Engine!" :)

LOL hahahahahahahahahah that would've enraged him even more and he'd start having a brawl with the copper!

Marinko Matosevic has replaced him as Aussie number one player.... this guy seems to be having less trouble.

PeteD
10-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Gotta feel for the Aussies, they went into a drought and staked hopes on Bernie . . .

tacou
10-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Tomic should get into more fights, so he can remind more people of "who he is," because I think we are all forgetting..

Oz_Rocket
10-29-2012, 03:49 PM
As a player you know you're out of favour when the local paper runs a "Tomic the Tank Engine" picture with your face on it.

At the heart of it Aussies really don't care if a player has an argument with someone at a hotel. Back in the day our cricketers were legendary for various drinking records (Google David Boon and drinking is in most of the suggested terms). What is unforgiveable is not having a go and putting in an effort .

Matosevic may have broken into the top 50 but I can't see him going top 10. Maybe Luke Saville or Nick Kyrgios will break the drought???

Paul Murphy
10-29-2012, 04:24 PM
He is the epitome of a guy who is "a legend in his own mind."

My favorite Tomic moment was when he asked that reporter during the recent contentious press conference, "What's your name? (Journo answers.) "I'll remember that."

Nothing more frightening than the wrath of Australia's Donald Young.

Lol. 10 chars.

Paul Murphy
10-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Tomic should get into more fights, so he can remind more people of "who he is," because I think we are all forgetting..

That's not half bad either. :)

beast of mallorca
10-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Is that Wolowitz hiding under a Union Jack in your avatar?

I asked him that before and he was not.
I think it's one of the Who band members if I can recall.

chrischris
10-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Hope the guy matures a bit soon.

tennisfan2010
10-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Some new comments from Roger Rasheed

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/bernard-tomic-needs-to-sack-his-father-as-coach-and-take-a-break-says-roger-rasheed/story-e6frfgao-1226506489356

beast of mallorca
10-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Some new comments from Roger Rasheed

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/bernard-tomic-needs-to-sack-his-father-as-coach-and-take-a-break-says-roger-rasheed/story-e6frfgao-1226506489356

What a waste. With the way he is proceeding, he might end up dropping out of the top 100. Makes me appreciate the young 'uns like Kei, Raonic etc who are serious and committed to the game.

Candide
10-29-2012, 05:25 PM
At least this proves he's got a little fight in him. Now if they can just arrange to have one of the grand slams played on soap bubbles.

15_ounce
10-29-2012, 11:08 PM
More comment from Roger Rasheed, who said Tomic is not Lleyton, Rafa, nor Djokovic , and a picture of him while practising in Gold Coast :

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/10/30/440792_gold-coast-news.html

Bartelby
10-29-2012, 11:30 PM
That's true but he is the poster boy of squandered genius, so I was indeed being excessively optimistic about Tomic's potential.

George Best was a genius of a player, and he didn't start having his alcohol problems until he was already a legend of his sport.

Sabratha
10-30-2012, 12:19 AM
More comment from Roger Rasheed, who said Tomic is not Lleyton, Rafa, nor Djokovic , and a picture of him while practising in Gold Coast :

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/10/30/440792_gold-coast-news.html

Lleyton Hewitt was world No. 7 when he turned 20 years old and had won 7 titles. Tomic is near the edge of the top fifty and without a title. Big difference, especially considering they're both Australian players and people were expecting Tomic to be better than Hewitt.

beast of mallorca
10-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Lleyton Hewitt was world No. 7 when he turned 20 years old and had won 7 titles. Tomic is near the edge of the top fifty and without a title. Big difference, especially considering they're both Australian players and people were expecting Tomic to be better than Hewitt.

Those people might be the same kind that expected Donald Young to be the next big thing here. Unless Tomic turns over a new leaf, he will never be near the calibre that Hewitt has become.

15_ounce
10-30-2012, 01:24 AM
I just saw Gold Coast channel 9 local news, where they had a video clip of Tomic having a "wrestle" half naked with his mate at an open air spa, seen from above (either from helicopter or a witness who called the police) .... they're high above on a high rise and quite close to the fence and having a wrestle.

Tomic said it was nothing really serious, they were just joking around like two kids having fun, but alas there was a witness seeing this thing from far away and he reported to the police that he saw two guys strangling each other as if they were trying to kill each other and very close to the railing / fence...

I think the media really blows this thing out of proportion.

This one contains video from channel 7, not channel 9, it says the case is a complete misunderstanding:
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news/article/-/15251428/tomic-should-take-tennis-break-rasheed/

More videos from channel 9 (found it on page 2 of the video lists) -- no charges have been made as it was only a play fight, not a real fight:
http://video.news.ninemsn.com.au/

vil
10-30-2012, 01:30 AM
It only goes to show, tallent is never enough. There's a bunch of guys out there with lots of potential and tallent but no desire to work hard. There is also a bunch of guys out there that have incredible drive and are willing to put hard yards into it but have no extra tallent to be able to reach higher levels. To be successful, you need both.
Bernard is not the first and not the last. He is one of hundreds who you once heard about played tennis...if you remmember at all.
Problem now is, Australia is desperate for another tennis success to fill retiring Hewitt shoes.

Ms Nadal
10-30-2012, 02:29 AM
Why all the bad words about Tomic? He is a young guy having fun and being himself. Good luck to him I say. You are only young once. Do what you need to do so that you have no regrets when you are older. Tennis isn't his world, good for him. He just plays it to get some money. Better than a normal job. But he doesn't take it too seriously. No one can ever accuse Tomic of being fake and I think people like that. Tomic is real! :)

SoBad
10-30-2012, 02:30 AM
Spying on open-air spas is *******ed and immoral, at the very least.

Ms Nadal
10-30-2012, 02:39 AM
Spying on open-air spas is *******ed and immoral, at the very least.

Yes, but Tomic is being himself and not putting on a fake persona. I kinda respect him for that. Then you can either like him or not.

SoBad
10-30-2012, 02:43 AM
Yes, but Tomic is being himself and not putting on a fake persona. I kinda respect him for that. Then you can either like him or not.

I used to dislike him, but I am warming up now. It is becoming clear that he is a victim of police and public harassment.

Ms Nadal
10-30-2012, 02:44 AM
I used to dislike him, but I am warming up now. It is becoming clear that he is a victim of police and public harassment.

Exactly! The police are always out to get him indeed.

SoBad
10-30-2012, 02:49 AM

A spa, indoor or outdoor, is where you can relax and be yourself. If a customer is being spied on by government agents or other non-customers at his spa leisure time, he should press charges.

vil
10-30-2012, 03:10 AM
Yeah, I get that poor Bernnie, why don't we just feel sorry for him.
When you represent your country, you become exposure to a public eye, wheather you like it or not. There also come a certain responsibilities with it.
Other players do stupid things but often that will stay in closed circles. Bernard should know this but I think he just doesn't care. He is still young? That's not an excuse. I know media blows every story but these little things summarize his character anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if he got out of Davis Cup team because of his poor record and attitude. I also wouldn't be surprised if some sponsors turned back to him.

mjnchen
10-30-2012, 12:45 PM
I just hate this guy. He has one of the ugliest groundstrokes on the tour and he is so arrogant and bad-mannered. I just hope Raonic or maybe some other young guns can beat Tomic 10-0 in a row to teach him some lessons.

El Nino
10-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Tomic Is Becoming Like The Ballotelli of tennis. So Unpredictable with his tennis and a bit of a outlaw at times. Even his dads a bit of a rebel,Like Father Like Son...

15_ounce
10-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Here is the video of the "brawl", it is just like two kittens having fun, really, when I read this thread at first, I thought it was a brawl in a pub involving shattered glass and blood and gore....... again, no charges was made and it was a complete misunderstanding:

http://soc.li/2ZZztTT

Paul Murphy
10-30-2012, 05:48 PM
To me it's his reaction when the police arrived that was revealing, not what the pair was getting up to.
What's relevant to me is the "don't you know who I am" stuff which seems to be a central theme with Bernie and his father.
Too much too soon for Bernard and it shows.

Paul Murphy
10-30-2012, 05:48 PM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/eye-off-the-ball/story-e6frg6z6-1226506978467

tennisfan2010
10-30-2012, 05:56 PM
To me it's his reaction when the police arrived that was revealing, not what the pair was getting up to.
What's relevant to me is the "don't you know who I am" stuff which seems to be a central theme with Bernie and his father.
Too much too soon for Bernard and it shows.

I think why he always plays the "don't you know who I am card" is because Tomic is never held accountable for his actions. It will be interesting to see if he gets any punishment when he goes to court next week for his driving charges.

It seems his father (and those around him) just allow Tomic to do whatever he wants. He needs to surround himself with someone that will instill more discipline and not just say "yes" to everything.

15_ounce
10-30-2012, 06:16 PM
We all know how bad/rebellious their behaviour or temper is, then so be it. Nothing we can do about it. Just leave them alone. If they want to be a centre of attention, they can have it and let them show how hopeless and comical they are. The media just makes things worse by chasing him around all the time. Why don't they expose native Aussie players more, instead of making a soap opera of a petty imported player? I mean, where are the true blue Aussie players? JP Smith, Saville, Mitchell, Brydan Klein, etc etc... Where are they? Let us know please you journalists... instead of feeding us up with useless news about Tomic all the time!

albatros_forehand
10-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Too much blah blah here. Give the lad a break. He just turned 20. Did nothing worse than most of us did at that age. Would prefer to see his 'you don't know who you're dealing with" attitude on the court tho.

merwy
10-30-2012, 06:19 PM
I like the fact that everybody seems to hate him. Makes him seem much more appealing to me.

Usually, it's the same for me too. I like Berdych and Soderling because of this reason (obviously not only because of this..). But I still can't get myself to like Tomic. Maybe it's because of that stupid, weird forehand. It does not look like a forehand that will make you win a grand slam. And I also don't like him because he parties that much. I'm a big fan of hard workers.

Alexandros
10-30-2012, 06:22 PM

How are the police out to get him? He is under 25 so he isn't allowed to drive a V8 car on his P's. Yet he bought a V8 anyway, got a special exemption to only drive it to and from tennis practice and then got busted for breaking the law that was already bent specifically for him.

Meanwhile that speaks to the absurdity of some of our laws here in Australia - if you're famous somehow that makes you a better driver and therefore the normal rules don't apply like they do to the rest of us mere mortals.

Steve0904
10-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Usually, it's the same for me too. I like Berdych and Soderling because of this reason (obviously not only because of this..). But I still can't get myself to like Tomic. Maybe it's because of that stupid, weird forehand. It does not look like a forehand that will make you win a grand slam. And I also don't like him because he parties that much. I'm a big fan of hard workers.

I can honestly say I like Soderling, but definitely not Berdych. The Almagro incident at the AO this year was pathetic. Berdych is a whiny ***** as far as I can tell.

Nostradamus
10-30-2012, 06:57 PM
How are the police out to get him? He is under 25 so he isn't allowed to drive a V8 car on his P's. Yet he bought a V8 anyway, got a special exemption to only drive it to and from tennis practice and then got busted for breaking the law that was already bent specifically for him.

Meanwhile that speaks to the absurdity of some of our laws here in Australia - if you're famous somehow that makes you a better driver and therefore the normal rules don't apply like they do to the rest of us mere mortals.

why is V8 so special ? V6 nowadays are extremely powerful cars and can get up to 180 mph.

PeteD
10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
why is V8 so special ? V6 nowadays are extremely powerful cars and can get up to 180 mph.

The law does apply to some 6-cyl and other fast cars.

Mustard
10-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Imagine how Toni Nadal would act in the face of such behaviour as Bernard Tomic has shown. The law would be laid down very quickly.

People criticise Toni for the harsh way he has sometimes treated Rafa over the years, but Rafa knows that Toni's presence is always there, so he keeps everything professional and does what he has to do, even to the point of keeping his water bottles in line and never smashing a racquet. It has brought a strong discipline into the way Rafa prepares. Tomic has been allowed to get away with slackening, such as the way he took a break in Monte Carlo after losing to Giraldo at the French Open, which is unprofessional.

Tomic needs a coach who will make sure that he will do everything he HAS to do to get near his full potential. Wasted potential is the alternative. Also, unlike Ernests Gulbis who clearly enjoys his leisure time a lot, Tomic always seems miserable.

cc0509
10-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Imagine how Toni Nadal would act in the face of such behaviour as Bernard Tomic has shown. The law would be laid down very quickly.

People criticise Toni for the harsh way he has sometimes treated Rafa over the years, but Rafa knows that Toni's presence is always there, so he keeps everything professional and does what he has to do, even to the point of keeping his water bottles in line and never smashing a racquet.

But Toni went too far the other way bordering on controlling and abusive imo. That is not good either.

Mustard
10-30-2012, 09:04 PM
But Toni went too far the other way bordering on controlling and abusive imo. That is not good either.

Rafa has often argued with Toni, though. Toni demands that Rafa stays professional and prepares properly, and that he never smashes a racquet in anger, but it doesn't get to the point where Rafa must do everything without arguing back. Letting people make their own mistakes if they don't listen to you, will actually help you be more respected in the long run. However, things like preparation should never be compromised in a sport like professional tennis. Certain things just have to be done, full stop.

cc0509
10-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Rafa has often argued with Toni, though. Toni demands that Rafa stays professional and prepares properly, and that he never smashes a racquet in anger, but it doesn't get to the point where Rafa must do everything without arguing back. Letting people make their own mistakes if they don't listen to you, will actually help you be more respected in the long run. However, things like preparation should never be compromised in a sport like professional tennis. Certain things just have to be done, full stop.

Ultimately, I think you would have to give Nadal's parents credit for raising Nadal properly and for the way Nadal has turned out today. Tomic's father on the other hand, sounds like a total wacko and I think that is causing problems with how Tomic is behaving now. Seems like he is rebelling against his father a little. (i.e. didn't Tomic try to get his father thrown out of a match earlier this year?) His father seems creepy!

The Meat
10-30-2012, 10:26 PM
While reading some articles about Tomic's recent shenanigans I found this picture. :)

http://www.tennisperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Daily-telegraph-Tomic.jpg

Sabratha
10-31-2012, 05:54 AM
While reading some articles about Tomic's recent shenanigans I found this picture. :)

http://www.tennisperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Daily-telegraph-Tomic.jpg
:lol: That's funny.

Pinocchio
10-31-2012, 02:53 PM
I'd love to have a shirt with this picture. :lol:

Mustard
10-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Tomic The Tank Engine is a funny nickname. If that doesn't motivate Bernard enough to prove his critics wrong, nothing will.

Paul Murphy
10-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Interesting piece featuring Tomic's first coach:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/tennis/i-cant-bear-to-watch-bernard-tomic-says-first-coach-neil-guiney/story-fnbe6xeb-1226507852115

Magnetite
10-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Fighting is normal for young males.

It helps boys grow into men.

JSummers
10-31-2012, 06:16 PM
I see that Australia's resident tennis jerk is at it again:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/tennis/tennis-star-bernard-tomic-under-police-investigation-after-a-surfers-paradise-brawl/story-fnddjf3n-1226505623777

Once upon a time, a great young Aussie with huge talent wasted his potential career on hot cars, booze and women. History going to repeat?

Bartelby
10-31-2012, 06:23 PM
The cars and the rest seem to be symptoms of the real cause which is the tension between father and son.

This seems to be a recurring theme between immigrant parents and their child prodigies.

15_ounce
11-01-2012, 01:34 AM
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1707143/Unfit-Tomic-looks-like-a-lost-soul-says-first-coac

jamesblakefan#1
11-03-2012, 11:04 PM

People criticise Toni for the harsh way he has sometimes treated Rafa over the years, but Rafa knows that Toni's presence is always there, so he keeps everything professional and does what he has to do, even to the point of keeping his water bottles in line and never smashing a racquet. It has brought a strong discipline into the way Rafa prepares. Tomic has been allowed to get away with slackening, such as the way he took a break in Monte Carlo after losing to Giraldo at the French Open, which is unprofessional.

Tomic needs a coach who will make sure that he will do everything he HAS to do to get near his full potential. Wasted potential is the alternative. Also, unlike Ernests Gulbis who clearly enjoys his leisure time a lot, Tomic always seems miserable.

LOL at this post. It's possible to have fun and be responsible. Tomic doesn't need an Uncle Toni up his arse to the point where he can't even express his own personality without fear of a backlash. He just has to find that balance, 20 is still quite young. He does seem to need an 'old fashion whoopin', so to speak though.

tennisfan2010
11-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Tomic's dad spoke to the media:

http://www.news.com.au/news/bernard-tomics-father-john-rejects-claims-the-20-year-old-tennis-player-is-burnt-out-and-needs-a-break/story-fnejlub9-1226509979358#ixzz2BEQ6gMdP

tata
11-03-2012, 11:45 PM
This kid hasn't showed us he wants to work hard and win the big tournaments. I think after some R4 appearances in slams, the kid just got comfortable and relies his so called talent more than hard work. I really wish Fed would school and triple bagel him in a slam and offer some nice advice to knock some sense into him.

Paul Murphy
11-04-2012, 03:59 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/tough-times-tomic-to-plead-guilty-to-traffic-charges-20121105-28t24.html

Paul Murphy
11-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Tomic found guilty, fined:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/tomic-to-plead-guilty-to-traffic-charges/story-e6freuz0-1226510519463

Bartelby
11-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Guilty but small fine, keeps license and no conviction - as good a result as can be expected - everyone's guilty of anything you're accused of by police once you step into a car.

tennisfan2010
11-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Hopefully he will stay out of trouble now and work on getting his career back on track.

Bartelby
11-04-2012, 09:39 PM
The Polish dude proves that the next generation is usually not the one that was expected.

merwy
11-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Interesting piece featuring Tomic's first coach:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/tennis/i-cant-bear-to-watch-bernard-tomic-says-first-coach-neil-guiney/story-fnbe6xeb-1226507852115

I still can't wrap my head around the way that he handled that Roddick match at the US Open. He's playing at such an important stage, the Arthur Ashe stadium at the damn US Open! He's playing Andy Roddick, who's playing his last tournament before retirement. That performance was disrespectful to both the tournament and to Andy.

Paul Murphy
11-05-2012, 06:39 PM
I still can't wrap my head around the way that he handled that Roddick match at the US Open. He's playing at such an important stage, the Arthur Ashe stadium at the damn US Open! He's playing Andy Roddick, who's playing his last tournament before retirement. That performance was disrespectful to both the tournament and to Andy.

Agreed. It was the perfect stage - a wonderful opportunity for a young player to show what he's got.

Oz_Rocket
07-01-2014, 07:22 PM
As a player you know you're out of favour when the local paper runs a "Tomic the Tank Engine" picture with your face on it.

At the heart of it Aussies really don't care if a player has an argument with someone at a hotel. Back in the day our cricketers were legendary for various drinking records (Google David Boon and drinking is in most of the suggested terms). What is unforgiveable is not having a go and putting in an effort .

Matosevic may have broken into the top 50 but I can't see him going top 10. Maybe Luke Saville or Nick Kyrgios will break the drought???

And nearly two years on the future of Australian tennis certainly looks brighter!

JRAJ1988
07-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Will Tomic ever improve?

Imagine him, Nick and Kokkinakis in the top 30 by the end of 2016?

West Coast Ace
07-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Bernard who? :)

On a serious note, you'd hope he'd see this and think 'hmmm, maybe I should work on my serve and make it a weapon. And my FH.'

yemenmocha
07-01-2014, 08:41 PM
so out of character for him