PDA

View Full Version : Head Youtek Prestige Mid Backhand Grip

dhdriver
10-29-2012, 11:59 PM
So I've been trying to change my two handed backhand grip. I usually have my dominate hand at continental and have my other hand at semi western. But I've been trying to move my other hand towards eastern. However, I've been having trouble with it since the grip shape of the prestige feels a bit off for me. I always end up rotating back to my usual continental/semi western combination.

Do any of you guys have this trouble too? Any suggestions?

Also, I read through the forums about the differences between a continental/eastern vs a continental/semi western. Can someone give me some more info about it?

Thanks!

Racquet Daddy
10-30-2012, 08:42 AM
What are you having trouble with? Missing in the net? Missing long? Not enough depth? Using a continental/semi-western, I would definitely make sure you are getting the racquet head under the ball when you start your forward swing. There are so many different techniques with the 2HBH (grip combinations, arms bent/bent or bent/straight or straight/straight) that you could drive yourself crazy. If you're still having trouble after making little adjustments, video never lies.

I love the Prestige Mid. I hate the grip shape. I've got a TK82S pallet on my IG and an RPNY Wilson-shaped pallet on my PC600. On a side note, the RPNY L3 pallet is bigger than the TK82S L3. So, if the grip bothers you that much, but you want to stick with the racquet, then you might have to swap pallets. I have a 2HBH, and I fall into the continental/eastern category. I have found that my backhand has flattened out since using mids over the past couple years. For me, that's been a good thing.

dhdriver
10-30-2012, 10:49 AM
What are you having trouble with? Missing in the net? Missing long? Not enough depth? Using a continental/semi-western, I would definitely make sure you are getting the racquet head under the ball when you start your forward swing. There are so many different techniques with the 2HBH (grip combinations, arms bent/bent or bent/straight or straight/straight) that you could drive yourself crazy. If you're still having trouble after making little adjustments, video never lies.

I love the Prestige Mid. I hate the grip shape. I've got a TK82S pallet on my IG and an RPNY Wilson-shaped pallet on my PC600. On a side note, the RPNY L3 pallet is bigger than the TK82S L3. So, if the grip bothers you that much, but you want to stick with the racquet, then you might have to swap pallets. I have a 2HBH, and I fall into the continental/eastern category. I have found that my backhand has flattened out since using mids over the past couple years. For me, that's been a good thing.

Thanks for the info!

So I've been having a hard time finding depth with my backhand. With my continental/semi-western grip the ball seems to always land short in the court. I've demoed racquets with a rounder grip and I've been able to use a continental/eastern grip. It feels amazing. But when I go to my prestige mids I am unable to grip that racquet that way. My hand just automatically migrates to semi western.

Yeah I've been trying to change my backhand swing a little more. I've been trying to go back to my compact swing. Do you have any suggestions on how to fine tune my backhand?

I appreciate the help!

Seth
10-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Watch vids of Safin and follow suit.

dhdriver
10-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Watch vids of Safin and follow suit.

That's what I was thinking too haha.