PDA

View Full Version : I got more SNAP out of my racquets, for under $.25 ea! (Changing balance points) )

BruceD
10-30-2012, 12:12 AM
I' recently bought a few tweener racquets and noticed how differently they played allthought their head size was almost the same.
One is a 2010 Head Micro-Gel Challenge OS and it, like many other of it's kind, is very light and a bit head heavy, making it a little hard to get a decent smap on my service motion. So I decided to add weight to the the butt-cap to bring down the balance point and also add some weight to get more punch on my shots, using a combination of lead tape and good-old American nickles!
since a nickle weight 5 grams, I used glue and lead tape to add 17 grams and then used some chrome strips, used for trim on cars that I had laying around to add 3 grams to the yoke. The extra 20 grams brings the weight up to alittle over 10.5 oz and now uit seems about 2 points head LIGHT which makes serving much easier.
I use a wheelchair when I play, so I need all the extra power I can get, but I don't want to swing a heavy piece of lumber around the court, like I did, 25 yeras or so ago.
The Wilson K-Factor Bold that I bought next was also very light at 9.8 oz, but was 2 points head light and tghat was the first racquet that I have ever owned that I was able to get the snap at the top pf my serve, like no othwer, but lacked a little "punch" in the groundies, so I enhanced the head-lightness by adding the same 17 brams on the butt-cap and 3 up a little higher on the head this time. I used the chrome strips at the 9 to10:00 and 3-2:00 positioned on the sides, that also provided protection from the scrapes I get, covering low shots.
Now I get the most snap AND power on my servs, than ever before, almost as good as when I was able to use my legs!
I also have a Fischer M-Pro 98 No.1 that feels to be around 4 pointys head light, without strings, so it may not need another penny-er nickle to get all the snap I need and at 330 grams, 10.8 oz, might pack enough of a punch, too, on it's own.
I'm waiting on delivery of a new Babolat Y-105 and it's said to have an even balance, so I anticipate it needing at LEAST $.25 to make it feel the way I want.
Lead tape is much more expensive, by weight than a nickle is, save the buck$ for new string jobs, as you will be breaking them more often, with your new found power!

Larrysümmers
10-30-2012, 07:24 AM
you really gonna put 5 nickles in the butt cap?

Fuji
10-30-2012, 07:29 AM
you really gonna put 5 nickles in the butt cap?

I've done it before haha!

-Fuji

Larrysümmers
10-30-2012, 07:35 AM
5? in my blx 95 i was only to fit 2 and that was pushing it

Fuji
10-30-2012, 08:28 AM
5? in my blx 95 i was only to fit 2 and that was pushing it

I think our nickles are smaller here in Canada actually... LOL

-Fuji

BruceD
11-01-2012, 10:42 PM
I got the Babolat Y105 today and immediately glued a brass coin that was worthless, to the butt cap. I hit with it and I have served with NOTHING like it..I'm nut'z about this Babo now! But the others are better than when they were new, too!
Say..here's a question for brains bigger than mine...how many inches is "2 points" when looking at head light, or heady? I'm guess, and measuring mine, by the inch = 1 point.
Am I wrong in my guesstimation?
Pic's a bit blurry, sorry
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=525180690843832&l=95f4d15ba3

TennisCJC
11-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Using a nickel is cool - I had a friend who used a quarter. He put velcro on the outside of the butt cap and on one side of a quarter $.25. He then attached the quarter with the velco. It has been over 6 years, but I think he stuck the .25 on when he served making the racket more HL and took it off when he received. Tennis players are quirky.

zapvor
11-02-2012, 08:53 AM
these kind of threads make me laugh

Fuji
11-02-2012, 10:35 AM
these kind of threads make me laugh

How come? :) There's nothing wrong with discussing methods of making rackets more headlight, whether it be through coins/silicone/blue tac/nails. Lots of ways to get it done!

-Fuji

slowfox
11-02-2012, 03:13 PM
I've got 2 dimes in one of my sticks to match it's brother's specs. Sometimes I feel like such a dork with all this customization stuff, but I enjoy it, so whatever...

zapvor
11-02-2012, 07:20 PM
How come? :) There's nothing wrong with discussing methods of making rackets more headlight, whether it be through coins/silicone/blue tac/nails. Lots of ways to get it done!

-Fuji

right. but sometimes...it goes too far you know

BruceG
11-03-2012, 03:08 PM
right. but sometimes...it goes too far you know

You mean it goes all 'TravelerJam-y' LOL.

And to the OP, 2 points is .25 of an inch. 1 inch = 8 pts. So 2 points is 1/4 of an inch.

zapvor
11-03-2012, 06:36 PM

And to the OP, 2 points is .25 of an inch. 1 inch = 8 pts. So 2 points is 1/4 of an inch.

not sure what you mean, but i think you got my point:)

TonyB
11-04-2012, 04:07 AM
Using a nickel is cool - I had a friend who used a quarter. He put velcro on the outside of the butt cap and on one side of a quarter $.25. He then attached the quarter with the velco. It has been over 6 years, but I think he stuck the .25 on when he served making the racket more HL and took it off when he received. Tennis players are quirky.

Wow, finally someone who knows how to spell the word correctly in this thread.

BruceD
11-08-2012, 12:53 AM

Now it makes a little more sence,..er cents?,
I was thinking 1"=1point!

Thanks a TON!

BruceD
11-08-2012, 12:57 AM

I weight a $.25 piece and it weighs a little over 6 grams, so it's not as "co$t effective"!