PDA

View Full Version : Best Radical MP - More Maneuverable than LM Radical MP?

TripleB
10-30-2012, 04:39 PM
I've gone back to my Head LiquidMetal Radical Midplus racquets a couple times over the years but ultimately move away from it...mainly due to lack of maneuverability.

Which of the other Radical Midplus racquets (YouTek IG, YouTek, or MicroGel) do you think is the best, giving better maneuverability than the LM?

The only one of the three I've tried is the MG and in looking at my thoughts on it I felt is was an excellent racquet (playing a bit stiffer than it's 57 flex and giving more power than I was expecting).

Thanks for and all advice.

TripleB

cork_screw
10-30-2012, 10:57 PM
I think the mg mp rad is probably the lightest in terms of swingweight and maybe just overall static weight. The thing I did not like about the LM rad was that on volleys it flexed too much (odd being as stiff as it was), but all my volleys seemed less predictable than other sticks I've used. For me the mg rad mp is one of the best volley sticks. It reminds me of the st. vincent in terms of just directional intent and performance. But if you do go in this direction, I would string it at a very low tension to get out as much power as you can. If you are swinging from the back of the baseline, you feel the decrease in power more and more. Serves, slices and volleys for me really shined and I felt pretty confident going to net, almost every point. To me this one wins hands down even over the mg rad pro (that one felt just too cumbersome).

If you like a flexier racquet, I would try the youtek and ig stuff. They give off a very different feel for sure.

purple-n-gold
10-30-2012, 11:47 PM
My modded Ti Radical, 350g swings rather sweetly.

roundiesee
10-31-2012, 05:42 AM
To me, the one which plays best is the latest YT IG Radical, the feel was almost prestige-like. But really, the LM Radical would be a close second IMO. For some reason, I did not like the MG version at all.

srvnvly
10-31-2012, 06:01 AM
TripleB - what happened to the Wilson Pro Open 2012? just curious

TripleB
11-01-2012, 04:49 PM
TripleB - what happened to the Wilson Pro Open 2012? just curious

I played pretty good with it at the our State Singles Team touney 11 days ago but I felt really disconnected with the ball, really couldn't swing out when I wanted to go for the winner, and the frame feels so wide (strange I know) in play.

I'm thinking of going back to a thin beam flexy racquet that emphasizes control and touch over power.

Looking at demoing the XDual Gold 99, Biomimetic F3.0 Tour, MG Radical MP, and maybe the Biomimetic 200 Lite again.

Of course now that the doc says I may have either a torn miniscus, cracked bone near my kneecap, or both it may be months before I have a chance to try any of them.

TripleB

chollyred
11-02-2012, 04:00 AM
I think the mg mp rad is probably the lightest in terms of swingweight and maybe just overall static weight. The thing I did not like about the LM rad was that on volleys it flexed too much (odd being as stiff as it was), but all my volleys seemed less predictable than other sticks I've used. For me the mg rad mp is one of the best volley sticks. It reminds me of the st. vincent in terms of just directional intent and performance. But if you do go in this direction, I would string it at a very low tension to get out as much power as you can. If you are swinging from the back of the baseline, you feel the decrease in power more and more. Serves, slices and volleys for me really shined and I felt pretty confident going to net, almost every point. To me this one wins hands down even over the mg rad pro (that one felt just too cumbersome).

If you like a flexier racquet, I would try the youtek and ig stuff. They give off a very different feel for sure.

Cork Screw, How low and what type of string would you recommend for max power out of the MG Rad? I love the feel of the racquet, but the lack of power keeps this from being my main stick.

sunof tennis
11-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Cork Screw, How low and what type of string would you recommend for max power out of the MG Rad? I love the feel of the racquet, but the lack of power keeps this from being my main stick.

Lead it up? (Plays great around 12 oz) Also, can use more powerful strings if you wants since it is very much a control racquet.

keithfival
11-05-2012, 01:14 PM

I'm experimenting with getting off poly and strung mine with cheap 17g syn gut at 50lbs just for a starting point. Definitely still has loads control, no issues there, along with some decent pop and depth. It will never have the kind of free power of a Babolat type tweener frame, but low tension, thin gauge strings, and weight can definitely beef it up.

OP- this question has been asked many times and the MG Rad always wins the vote by a fair margin. There are always some who don't like it, often for the muted feel, but the majority seem to prefer it, myself included. And the maneuverability is excellent, even at 340g. Definitely a control stick, as all the Rads are.

stronzzi70
11-06-2012, 08:24 AM
To me, the one which plays best is the latest YT IG Radical, the feel was almost prestige-like. But really, the LM Radical would be a close second IMO. For some reason, I did not like the MG version at all.

agree ...........IG Radical MP is a very nice frame.

Mateo
11-06-2012, 11:08 PM
I have to say that IG is really nice stick. I have YT MP (at one time my main stick) and had to try IG version to see is there something better, and there is, the feel, and stability are notable better on IG version, maybe only notch low powered than YT, but overall great update. Worth of upgrade to IG version from YT.

fuzz nation
11-07-2012, 04:11 AM
I had a pair of LM Radicals a few years ago and loved the feel that those gave me, but their stock layout revealed just how much I depend on the right balance in my racquets to get familiar handling with them. Even if the frame has a lighter static weight than whatever I'm used to, the maneuvering can be downright sluggish for me if the balance isn't in my comfort zone.

My Radicals felt much easier to maneuver once I put a decent amount of lead tape on their handles. Coming from the old 6.1 Classics, that balance tuned closer to the neighborhood of 9 or 10 points HL on my Radicals was a welcome change. I also put a little lead on each of the four silver areas of their hoops for a little more stability at contact, but not so much that it hurt their maneuverability too much.

Not suggesting that this layout if for everyone - I know a few guys who shred with those racquets in their stock setup. Even with some of my 13 oz. racquets though, the maneuverability is fine just as long as I have a comfortable amount of HL balance.

Mister drool
03-23-2013, 06:23 AM
hmm
thin beam, great control, not to high static weight, comfortable hit
try the pro kennex q tour 295 18x20
very close to the rads, and in my opinion, a better comfort frame
everything else is on par with what you want, but take care of your healf first!