PDA

View Full Version : POG 2 and TT Radical Tour head shape

TheLambsheadrep
10-31-2012, 06:00 AM
I was reading how the first two renditions of the POG 110" had a more teardrop shape compared to the POG 3 through Tour (first of all, is this true? how different are the head shapes?). I recently got my POG 2, and by the end of a good hitting session this Sunday I could swear that the POG and my Head twin tube radical tours had the same shape. After I got home I laid them on each other, and it's as close as close can be. the biggest difference is that the handle for the POG is shorter so the POG has more throat to it, but the hoop and most of the throat of the two racquets are almost identical.

The first thought in my head was that since Agassi started with the POG, when he switched to Head maybe they modeled the early radicals after the early POG. Again, this is a POG 2 (individual grommets), and I've read here that Agassi used the POG 3 and 4 which supposedly have different head shapes. So as I asked before, are there really different head shapes within the POG 110" line?

TheLambsheadrep
11-01-2012, 08:31 AM
does anyone have the same two racquets to compare, or any comments?

MichaelChang
11-02-2012, 04:07 AM
The original POG (grommet-less) and the 2nd generation POG (individual grommets) do have a tear-drop shape. You do not need to worry too much about the head shape, after strung, given differnet tensions on main/cross it could very well change the shape of the racket slightly. And plus, the "tear-drop" is just slightly shaped like that, not a siginificant difference to other rackets. After all, POG1 and 2 are still regular tennis rackets.

TheLambsheadrep
11-02-2012, 07:02 AM
The original POG (grommet-less) and the 2nd generation POG (individual grommets) do have a tear-drop shape. You do not need to worry too much about the head shape, after strung, given differnet tensions on main/cross it could very well change the shape of the racket slightly. And plus, the "tear-drop" is just slightly shaped like that, not a siginificant difference to other rackets. After all, POG1 and 2 are still regular tennis rackets.

Oh, im not worried, I was just trying to confirm an observation. I was saying before how I would want a POG 3 or 4 over my POG 2 since Agassi is thought to have used a 3 and/or 4, but im not that concerned now since the head shape is pretty much like my other main racquets, so i think that's really cool. And like i said before, i don't just think it's cool, i also don't think it's a coincidence, even though if Head did model the trisys 260 OS/Radical Tours after a POG, they picked the earliest version(s) to do so with (and that's assuming Agassi used the first two versions before making it big an using the 3 and/or 4).

I'm used to the tear drop shape since a lot of classic Head frames used it or came very close to it shape-wise. The POG 2 is a great stick, a little heavier than what i like (it weighed over 13oz, i like around 12.6 but prefer more weight than less) but still a great classic feel. If i decide to keep the one I have, I'll put some kevlar in there and see what it really can do

TheLambsheadrep
11-03-2012, 06:56 PM
MichaelChang, would you say this picture is of a tear drop POG http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/andre-agassi-of-the-united-states-wearing-his-jean-style-news-photo/110171014 ? I think I see a difference in the shape compared to this one http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/tournament-of-champions-closeup-of-andre-agassi-in-action-news-photo/81370232 . I could be wrong, but I also dont see the gold labeling of "prince graphite" on the throat in the first picture (the lack thereof indicates POG 1-3.5). That pic is dark so it just may be hard to see the labeling, but I keep thinking that the first picture looks more like my POG 2 than the second. And if you dont mind answering, what were the main spec differences between POGs 1, 2, and 3 (and maybe 3.5)? And my POG 2 says the min tension is 72, this may sound silly, but is stringing it in the 50's and 60's OK, too?

TheLambsheadrep
12-03-2012, 06:32 AM
MichaelChang?