PDA

View Full Version : non-existing racquet

AbsolutTennis
11-02-2012, 04:29 AM
Dear fellow racquetaholics…

I just figured I’ve spent a great amount of money, time and effort looking for something that doesn’t exist nowadays…

And I’m desperate…

Started as what appeared to be a simple searching process.

The goal: find something that played LIKE a POG OVERSIVE.

- Headsize: 95 to 110 (pretty wide range here)
- Stiffness: below 63 (not too specific)
- Weight: Between 11.9 and 12.3 (not too specific either)
- Beam Width: up to 19
- String pattern 16X18 or 16X19

I didn’t think I was being too picky, as I wasn’t even considering swingweight or balance point.

Well, this racquet doesn’t exist and I’m stuck to the POG Oversize, which I already grew VERY tired of looking at (WAY too many years playing with it).

Hopefully Prince new owners will benchmark Vollk and realize they need to change PJ’s on this racquet once in a while!!!

I heard the old people there thought they had a similar product to the Wilson Pro Staff, which Wilson took it out of the market and sold once in a while… What a flop… No wonder Prince is where it is and has gone bankrupt so many times…

Am I asking for too much?

Can anybody help ???

PS: 4 or 5 years ago I found “the racquet”: a Donnay Pro One International (TW Edition)… It’s no longer in the market and “Donnay” just released a “new” Pro One… a racquet that SUCKS big time!

jorel
11-02-2012, 04:52 AM
buy a pog os... tw still sells them,

db10s
11-02-2012, 04:58 AM
Yeah.... Or you could make a new PJ.

cknobman
11-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Well based off the TW racquet finder you might be too picky on the beam width and or stiffness.

If your willing to go just 1mm thicker (20 mm) and 1 point more on stiffness (64) there are 4 racquets that would fall within your spec.

Prince Graphite Classic Oversize
Avery Avery M5 Oversize
Volkl Organix 10 325g
2012/Volkl C10 Pro

Oh and BTW the POG has a stiffness of 63 and your posts says below 63.

ollinger
11-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Are you asking too much? Yes. Beam width up to 19 mm is rather limiting. You've doubtless noticed they mostly don't build racquets with such beams anymore, with rare exception. Players of every level seem to play quite well with beams in the 20s, perhaps you can too!! And no, I don't imagine anyone will "benchmark Volkl," one of the few German companies that's managed to go 40 years without spectacular growth.

BlueB
11-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Well, this racquet doesn’t exist and I’m stuck to the POG Oversize, which I already grew VERY tired of looking at (WAY too many years playing with it).
Find a nice used Spectrum Comp OS - quick change to white instead of black, plays just as nice as POG, if not nicer.
Alternatively, for a change to blue, get a Chang POG, shorten to 27, add a bit of weight to the handle to rebalance - done.
Boron also looks great in that metallic brown/olive, but is stiffer then POG.

BTW, I think that POG was listed as 67 stiffness...

dode
11-02-2012, 11:03 AM
The Donnay X-Dual Gold 99 is just a little under what you are looking for weight wise (get their customization kit and the weight can be right in that range you are looking for). Otherwise it fits all of your qualifications I think, and it has probably about the thinnest beam on the market.

John

AbsolutTennis
11-06-2012, 04:14 AM
buy a pog os... tw still sells them,

Thanks Jorel!!! Might be the solution. I have been playing with it for SO long that the cosmetics are "killing me"... Thanks again!

AbsolutTennis
11-06-2012, 04:15 AM
Yeah.... Or you could make a new PJ.

Thanks!!! Definitely an option!!

AbsolutTennis
11-06-2012, 04:17 AM
Well based off the TW racquet finder you might be too picky on the beam width and or stiffness.

If your willing to go just 1mm thicker (20 mm) and 1 point more on stiffness (64) there are 4 racquets that would fall within your spec.

Prince Graphite Classic Oversize
Avery Avery M5 Oversize
Volkl Organix 10 325g
2012/Volkl C10 Pro

Oh and BTW the POG has a stiffness of 63 and your posts says below 63.

Great stuff!!! Will check the Volkl's... Can't test the Avery's down here, but will definitely look at the Volkl's. Thanks!

AbsolutTennis
11-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Are you asking too much? Yes. Beam width up to 19 mm is rather limiting. You've doubtless noticed they mostly don't build racquets with such beams anymore, with rare exception. Players of every level seem to play quite well with beams in the 20s, perhaps you can too!! And no, I don't imagine anyone will "benchmark Volkl," one of the few German companies that's managed to go 40 years without spectacular growth.

Thanks for the input! It looks like I'll have to "thicken" my choices... Or stick to the POG's. I meant to specifically "benchmark" the C10's (and its pj's changes over the past years), not Volkl as a company... LAUGHS... Which is not even German anymore...

AbsolutTennis
11-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Find a nice used Spectrum Comp OS - quick change to white instead of black, plays just as nice as POG, if not nicer.
Alternatively, for a change to blue, get a Chang POG, shorten to 27, add a bit of weight to the handle to rebalance - done.
Boron also looks great in that metallic brown/olive, but is stiffer then POG.

BTW, I think that POG was listed as 67 stiffness...

Thanks for the idea. I've used the Chang POG and liked it. Really hard to find those, though. I need at least 4 racquets... When competing, I play with multi strings and break them every 45 minutes or so. The Boron's, would be awesome, even though stiffer. Also hard to find. And expensive! Thanks again!

AbsolutTennis
11-06-2012, 04:24 AM
The Donnay X-Dual Gold 99 is just a little under what you are looking for weight wise (get their customization kit and the weight can be right in that range you are looking for). Otherwise it fits all of your qualifications I think, and it has probably about the thinnest beam on the market.

John

Thanks John!!! Had not looket at it. Interesting! I'll definitely give it a try! Thanks again!

BlueB
11-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the idea. I've used the Chang POG and liked it. Really hard to find those, though. I need at least 4 racquets... When competing, I play with multi strings and break them every 45 minutes or so. The Boron's, would be awesome, even though stiffer. Also hard to find. And expensive! Thanks again!
You are welcome!
Spectrum probably plays nicest of that lot. It's dirt cheap (used) and very easy to find.

Darkhors
11-06-2012, 10:07 AM
How about the EXO3 Tour? It has all of the qualifications you're looking for. Small beam, 16x18 pattern, weight 11.9-12.0, head size 100, and stiffness 52.

Seems that this is everything you've posted above. Have you tried this stick out yet?

DH

cknobman
11-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Great stuff!!! Will check the Volkl's... Can't test the Avery's down here, but will definitely look at the Volkl's. Thanks!

Your welcome, glad to be of help :)

amx13
11-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Another one would be the Prince Diablo Tour MP, you can get it up to 12 OZ with a leather grip on

PBODY99
11-06-2012, 03:32 PM
If all else fails wait for the new 16 main Blade.

AbsolutTennis
11-07-2012, 04:48 AM
How about the EXO3 Tour? It has all of the qualifications you're looking for. Small beam, 16x18 pattern, weight 11.9-12.0, head size 100, and stiffness 52.

Seems that this is everything you've posted above. Have you tried this stick out yet?

DH

That could definitely work. I wonder why it hasn't shown up on racquet search. Probably because of the weight... A leather grip and some lead might do the trick. Definitely worth a test. Thanks!!!!

AbsolutTennis
11-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Another one would be the Prince Diablo Tour MP, you can get it up to 12 OZ with a leather grip on

REALLY thought about that one. I'm afraid I might not get used to the extended length, as I've never tried a longer racquet. I always have to keep in mind that I've been playing tennis for 30 years and have OCD when dealing with tennis racquets... LAUGHS... Thanks!!!

AbsolutTennis
11-07-2012, 04:52 AM
If all else fails wait for the new 16 main Blade.

16 main Wilson Blade ???? Seriously ? Probably way off the specs I'm looking for, but really worth a look at. I tried the 18X20 and thought it is a great racquet. The only reason I did not get those is because of the 18X20 pattern...

Darkhors
11-07-2012, 05:16 AM

A guy I string for has 4 of these and he loves them. Very classic feel. Flexible, yet stable, plus you can get them at a great price!! He used to use the PT280 (austria) and compared the weight and feel to that. Obviously that's subjective, but I thought I'd put that in there if you're looking for some comparisons. I'm sure those that are huge PT users would disagree, so take it for what it's worth.

DH

Stroke
11-07-2012, 06:16 AM
I switch back and forth between the POG OS and the 03 Tour. The 03's are easy to transition to but they do not seem to bludgeon the ball as well as the POG.

AbsolutTennis
11-08-2012, 06:40 AM
A guy I string for has 4 of these and he loves them. Very classic feel. Flexible, yet stable, plus you can get them at a great price!! He used to use the PT280 (austria) and compared the weight and feel to that. Obviously that's subjective, but I thought I'd put that in there if you're looking for some comparisons. I'm sure those that are huge PT users would disagree, so take it for what it's worth.

DH

Thanks !!!

AbsolutTennis
11-08-2012, 06:42 AM
I switch back and forth between the POG OS and the 03 Tour. The 03's are easy to transition to but they do not seem to bludgeon the ball as well as the POG.

That's the first thought I had. Lower SW and less weight... However, I'll give it a try. Leather grip and some lead tape. Should hit with them in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the input!

Stroke
11-11-2012, 04:28 AM
I added about 10 grams of lead tape between the 10 and 2 position, and some weight to the handle to bring the weight up to about 12.6 or 12.7 ounces, about the same as my POG(with dampner and over grip). My 03's now have a slightly higher SW than my POG, but it seems to work with the 03.

AbsolutTennis
11-11-2012, 09:02 AM
I added about 10 grams of lead tape between the 10 and 2 position, and some weight to the handle to bring the weight up to about 12.6 or 12.7 ounces, about the same as my POG(with dampner and over grip). My 03's now have a slightly higher SW than my POG, but it seems to work with the 03.

Good idea. I'll definitely try the 03's with a leather grip and lead tape (maybe add some extra weight on the handle. Thanks !