PDA

View Full Version : Racquet has given me injury, please help

TennisCanada1
11-03-2012, 08:39 AM
I am a 5.5 open tournament player that used a Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT. In July, I switched to the Yonex RDS 001 MP with lead at 3 and 9, making the weight of the racquet 12.1 ounces. I was playing much more consistent tennis, and got more feel out of the racquet, but I started getting a pain in my right wrist. (I am a righty). My physio told me it was a strain, and I just assumed t was from benchpressing too much. I did treatment, and it got better, but then the more I played tennis the worse it got. I finally pieced it together that the grip shape of the yonex racquet is whats causing this strain in my wrist. I believe it is because the top edge is more narrow than the babolat, so my hand has to curl around the grip more which causes stress in the muscle. to be specific, its not my wrist, its an area close to the wrist between my thumb and index finger.

Now, my question is, i would like to switch racquets obviously so i dont endure any more pain, but these babolats arent doing justice for me playability wise. what would be a good option for me? something close in playability to my yonex rds 001 leaded up to 12.1 ounces but with a different grip shape?

ollinger
11-03-2012, 11:49 AM
A pain in the wrist is unlikely to be a muscle strain, as there are no muscles in the wrist, only tendons passing through from the muscles in the forearm.

sundaypunch
11-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I would switch doctors before I would switch racquets.

Rozroz
11-03-2012, 11:58 AM
this sounds very strange..
just because of the grip difference?
maybe you could do a bit with replacement grip?

Rozroz
11-03-2012, 11:59 AM
I would switch doctors before I would switch racquets.

brilliant :)

TennisCanada1
11-03-2012, 12:40 PM
sorry i meant tendon. im not using the physios exact words obviously...
i just know that this grip shape is more flat on top basically, and it causes my my thumb and index finger to widen more than usual, causing a "straining" feeling in between. when i use my babolats i had no problems at all. so im looking for suggestions of a similar racquet with a different grip shape, not stupid comments, thanks.

TennisCanada1
11-04-2012, 09:47 AM
bump bump bump

Fuji
11-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Did you notice that Babolat actually runs up to 1 size larger in grip than Yonex does? Are you using the same sized grip YY as you are Babolat?

-Fuji

klementine79
11-04-2012, 10:08 AM
^Good point. In case you have though......

You won't find anything out on the market quite like a Yonex.

Are you concerned in matching just the weight of your current racquet? The balance? String pattern and/or flex, with something comparable on the market?

As far as the grip, I would try building the pallet (underneath the grip) up with some electrical tape to achieve your size and/or type.

I do this with Head grips, as they're really rectangular, to make them more wilson like. Works like a charm and adds minimal amount of weight, 2-3gr.

UCSF2012
11-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Go to the tennis shop and figure it out yourself. No one here has any information for you aside from wild guesses. Even the medical information given to you is fallacious.

KevinB9986
11-05-2012, 08:04 AM
I bought a Babolot about a year ago. Had taken a lot of years off and use to use a older Head from the 80s. When I came back and started playing again I was using the older Head and things were fine. But I switched to the Babolot after I bought my kid a Prince (recommended by Pro). Now the bottom of my wrist will hurt. I think the Babolot is too stiff and has less power to boot vs a little more control. Have switched back to the older Head.

Mick3391
11-05-2012, 12:18 PM
I am a 5.5 open tournament player that used a Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT. In July, I switched to the Yonex RDS 001 MP with lead at 3 and 9, making the weight of the racquet 12.1 ounces. I was playing much more consistent tennis, and got more feel out of the racquet, but I started getting a pain in my right wrist. (I am a righty). My physio told me it was a strain, and I just assumed t was from benchpressing too much. I did treatment, and it got better, but then the more I played tennis the worse it got. I finally pieced it together that the grip shape of the yonex racquet is whats causing this strain in my wrist. I believe it is because the top edge is more narrow than the babolat, so my hand has to curl around the grip more which causes stress in the muscle. to be specific, its not my wrist, its an area close to the wrist between my thumb and index finger.

Now, my question is, i would like to switch racquets obviously so i dont endure any more pain, but these babolats arent doing justice for me playability wise. what would be a good option for me? something close in playability to my yonex rds 001 leaded up to 12.1 ounces but with a different grip shape?

The opposite side of my elbow hurts even when I pick up a racquet, going on like 3 months now. Changing a racquet would not make a bit of difference.

Do what I don't and take some time off, let it heal, then go back.

Fuji
11-05-2012, 12:45 PM
The opposite side of my elbow hurts even when I pick up a racquet, going on like 3 months now. Changing a racquet would not make a bit of difference.

Do what I don't and take some time off, let it heal, then go back.

Don't forget you're using a frame that's stiff as heck strung up pretty tight! :razz:

-Fuji

jonnythan
11-05-2012, 12:49 PM
I see no reason to think the racquet caused this injury.

sunof tennis
11-05-2012, 02:44 PM
If you truly want to try a different racquet, the Prestige line is pretty arm friendly and about the weight you are looking for. Perhaps a Volkl PB 10 Mid which is also arm friendly in that weight class.

Steve Huff
11-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Change your grip shape. It's not that hard. Or, send it to a racket modifier. Some can even custom mold a grip to the shape you want.

Mick3391
11-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Don't forget you're using a frame that's stiff as heck strung up pretty tight! :razz:

-Fuji

Thanks, but it hurts to PICK UP A RACQUET, any racquet. I just play through it like a fool to train my son.

Fuji
11-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks, but it hurts to PICK UP A RACQUET, any racquet. I just play through it like a fool to train my son.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

Have you looked into doing those Flexbar exercises? A few pro's I know here use them religiously to maintain arm health after some nasty injuries.

-Fuji

jonnythan
11-05-2012, 04:46 PM

Sounds like you suffered an acute injury, more likely from benching than tennis. Playing tennis just aggravates it.