PDA

View Full Version : Delpo with Li-Ning starting 2013 and other new stuff

gavna
11-04-2012, 04:59 AM
Was at an event this past week in Paris and saw that Delpo will be with Li-Ning next yr, not clear if it was Jan 1 or later in 2013 but a dal was done he's gone from Nike. Tecnifibre has a "concept shoe" that was designed by Philippe Barsol - Red, Black and Silver with a freaking weird triangle shaped heel (it could be posted on facebook shomewhere per Tecnifibre - it's in discussions that Major Sports what's to get into the shoe biz -

Also saw the new Asics stuff for LaMonf....Asics HUGE in France and will be pushing this stuff hard - expect to see LaMonfs as the face of Asics all over the place after Jan 1.

Also saw the new Babolat Wimbledon SFX shoe called the SFX ET Drive - in white with some purple and green trim and the Wimby logo - due out April 2013.

Ico
11-04-2012, 05:32 AM
That's pretty surprising. Delpo is Nike's third biggest men's
tennis star and the two ahead of him might not be long for the sport. I'll take this report with a grain of salt.

gavna
11-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Well it's a big enough story here in Paris this week that all the vendor reps were discussing it and the French monthly Tennis Magazine released a story and stated that Delpo was quitting Nike and that the Chinese firm was waiting to confirm all.......so usually where there is smoke there's fire..

bezs
11-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Real shame if he does leave Nike.

ollinger
11-04-2012, 07:37 AM
^^ In what sense is it a shame?? Do people actually have emotional reactions to what shoe someone else wears?? This is fascinating. Try to think of it as simple geopolitics; the early 21st century will belong to China; they will be eating more and more of Nike's lunch as time goes on.

gavna
11-04-2012, 07:52 AM
^^ In what sense is it a shame?? Do people actually have emotional reactions to what shoe someone else wears?? This is fascinating. Try to think of it as simple geopolitics; the early 21st century will belong to China; they will be eating more and more of Nike's lunch as time goes on.

I know really......it's all about the €€€€€ and he $$$$$$$ for the players...it's the fanboys who have all the issues. Players will go where the money takes them. Period.

cluckcluck
11-04-2012, 08:14 AM
It's just a shoe, a shirt, socks, and a shirt, at the end of the day it comes down to the dollars/euros going into the bank. I'm pretty sure Delpo doesn't care what he wears, as long as it's comfortable.

SempreSami
11-04-2012, 08:17 AM
First Argentina's basketball team and now Delpo? Good acquisition by Li-Ning if true.

anhuynh16
11-04-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm not surprised. After D-Wade going to them, it looks like they could challenge Nike and Adidas soon.

3fees
11-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Sounds like Nike will lose another,,I have not seen an official announcement yet.

Babolast
11-05-2012, 08:16 AM
I actually said awhile ago Delpo will be signing with Li-Ning.

Big loss for Nike but I guess money talks.

Borrelli
11-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Also saw the new Babolat Wimbledon SFX shoe called the SFX ET Drive - in white with some purple and green trim and the Wimby logo - due out April 2013.

Definitely interested in seeing these. For the most part their shoes have been hideous looking in the past. Hopefully they come out with something subdued and classic but with performance in mind..

augustobt
11-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Li-Ning wants the argentinean market so bad.

WildVolley
11-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Li-Ning wants the argentinean market so bad.

Is that really true?

From what I've heard, Argentina is going into another period of hyperinflation, which is going to mean less money to spend on tennis clothing.

It is too bad Argentina is run by economic imbeciles, as the country is otherwise a nice place.

niktub
11-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Definitely interested in seeing these. For the most part their shoes have been hideous looking in the past. Hopefully they come out with something subdued and classic but with performance in mind..

they made a copy of the Breath free 2 that was really sexy

corners
11-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Not good. Add the feet to Delpo's list of injuries. Li Ning is rubbish.

ValCrew
11-05-2012, 09:59 PM
tennis star and the two ahead of him might not be long for the sport. I'll take this report with a grain of salt.

delpo good company to dwyane wade.
China enslaves the world

stringertom
11-05-2012, 11:06 PM
delpo good company to dwyane wade.
China enslaves the world

$$$ talks! Sports apparel is only the tip of the iceberg...Lenovo taking over IBM's PC is a prime example of how the West is caving.

I liked JMDP's shirts from Nike...maybe another young gun fills the void. Janowicz is a candidate.

Bartelby
11-05-2012, 11:25 PM
He's a slam winner so that makes him valuable.

brooker
11-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Not good. Add the feet to Delpo's list of injuries. Li Ning is rubbish.

Not true! Don't be so biased. I tried the Li-Ning tennis shoes. It is as good as Nike, at least in terms of comfort and stability.

MAXXply
11-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Will this mean he's a lock to play Beijing and/or Shanghai for the next few years? (if he hasn't played them already)

Big_Dangerous
11-06-2012, 03:09 AM

Berdych.

10 chars.

sundaypunch
11-06-2012, 03:32 AM

Maybe Nike is trying to clear the spotlight for Gilles Simon.

Ico
11-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Berdych.

10 chars.

Oh please. Delpo is a slam champion with more potential and a larger market behind him.

augustobt
11-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Oh please. Delpo is a slam champion with more potential and a larger market behind him.

And he isn't an *** like Thomas.

Is that really true?

From what I've heard, Argentina is going into another period of hyperinflation, which is going to mean less money to spend on tennis clothing.

It is too bad Argentina is run by economic imbeciles, as the country is otherwise a nice place.
The point is that in Argentina things are very cheaper than in markets like Brazil, for example. And by the amount of tennis players that exists on there...

At some point, in Buenos Aires (Argentina's capital) they had more public tennis courts than in entire country of Brazil.

Virtua Tennis
11-06-2012, 11:32 AM
This would be bigger if it was Nadal or Federer leaving nike.

Del Potro? That's a big Meh. That man will not sell a brand if he was so marketable he would've gotten his own line. Li Ning paying his is just a gamble.

Also I bet wilson would love to dump him fool can't and will not change racquets.

Bobby Jr
11-06-2012, 02:11 PM
At Vitrua tennis touches on above... Nike have basically all their eggs in two baskets, Federer and Nadal. Everyone else is an afterthought and borderline irrelevant in terms of global marketing efforts.

They don't take punts of players by paying them millions of dollars - they offer them deals in the 5 or low 6 figures and sometimes with added performance incentives. When someone gets offered a deal by another brand - as Isner, Monfils and Del Potro have shown - Nike seems to not give a hoot basically. There's always another bus like them coming along. They're waiting for the next Federer or Nadal.

West Coast Ace
11-06-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm not surprised.I'm only surprised to the extent that Li-Ning is not doing well:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/22/lining-earnings-idINL4E8JL2NJ20120822

Don't sure how much Delpo moves product in S Amer. Logic would say that Nike would like to have a player from the region - unless there's not a lot of money to be made.

hersito
11-07-2012, 11:00 AM
No hyperinflation here, just the media is opposed to the government and makes a fuss about everything, we are not in paradise but we are living quite well. People who play tennis is usually middle to upper class so no problem there, the thing is that li-ning doesn't even sells in argentina so it's an international bet, unless they are thinking in opening stores here. I think is just that delpo got offered way more money than from nike.

gavna
11-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Very clean looking - all white with some green and purple trim - very understated for Babolat the Wimbledon W logo (in the circle) is on the side of the shoe.

Borrelli
11-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Very clean looking - all white with some green and purple trim - very understated for Babolat the Wimbledon W logo (in the circle) is on the side of the shoe.

Yeah, I searched for em on google and they came up. Not bad at all for a Babolat shoe. Unfortunately they don't seem to have grass court soles? I really liked the Fila one's from 2 years ago with grass nubs.

rabidranger
11-12-2012, 03:57 PM

Yeah, I really doubt that. It's more like Li-Ning is throwing vast sums of currently available cash at irrelevant marketing forces. Cool-you have a collection of 2nd tier stars! Nike could care less and I don't blame them.

ollinger
11-12-2012, 07:42 PM
^^ Nike is doubtless very concerned, as Li Ning sold 25% of its shares recently to Viva China Holdings, the largest sports talent management company in China. Viva's stock price promptly surged up no less than 93% in value. The implication of that surge is fairly clear: Li Ning and an enormous sports management company are now essentially partners, with vast resources to buy star talent to promote their wares, and with the ability to undercut Nike in price during a very shaky economy. The market's response to that move is very telling. Asian economies are where it's at, with Djokovic and Delpo already signed, and plenty more to come.

MAXXply
11-12-2012, 08:46 PM
^^ Nike is doubtless very concerned, as Li Ning sold 25% of its shares recently to Viva China Holdings, the largest sports talent management company in China. Viva's stock price promptly surged up no less than 93% in value. The implication of that surge is fairly clear: Li Ning and an enormous sports management company are now essentially partners, with vast resources to buy star talent to promote their wares, and with the ability to undercut Nike in price during a very shaky economy. The market's response to that move is very telling. Asian economies are where it's at, with Djokovic and Delpo already signed, and plenty more to come.

It's an interesting scenario that plays beyond the simplistic 'Sneaker Wars' we used to read about in the business pages. Does anyone think Li-Ning could get to No. 2 or 3 in the sportswear biz one day soon?

DanaKz
11-13-2012, 03:25 AM
Well, that's strange. Will Li Ning really make money from this contract? I mean, DelPo will make for sure, but Li Ning? Potro is not so popular, he is not really big star, he is not handsome enough, he is not charismatic enough, he doesn't have "star vibes" about him if you know what I mean, he is just not profitable enough... :shrug:

sosa09
11-21-2012, 05:11 AM
Is that really true?

Aha, i am from argentina, i live in the city of tucuman (north of the country) and i can say to you that we are with hyperinflation (again) , is horrible how the prices get expensive and expensive every week... The money here (peso) , the value of that money, doesnt exist at all... I give you an example, here a barricade seven (the one that murray uses in the JJOO) , the cost is around the 800 pesos, is the same if you in USA have to pay 800 dollars for a pair of tennis shoes... A good racquet ( a pro racquet) cost 1000 pesos or more... So you can see that now is kinda impossible to buy tennis stuf, if you are not a millonaire...

Barfy
11-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Is that really true?

So so so true. As an Argentinian I can say you speak the truth my man.

sosa09
11-21-2012, 11:58 AM
So so so true. As an Argentinian I can say you speak the truth my man.

yeah! en que ciudad de argentina vivis??

hersito
11-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Aha, i am from argentina, i live in the city of tucuman (north of the country) and i can say to you that we are with hyperinflation (again) , is horrible how the prices get expensive and expensive every week... The money here (peso) , the value of that money, doesnt exist at all... I give you an example, here a barricade seven (the one that murray uses in the JJOO) , the cost is around the 800 pesos, is the same if you in USA have to pay 800 dollars for a pair of tennis shoes... A good racquet ( a pro racquet) cost 1000 pesos or more... So you can see that now is kinda impossible to buy tennis stuf, if you are not a millonaire...

What are you talking about? hyperinflation was in the 80's to have hyperinflation you need to have at least 50% a month, now we have at worst a 20 to 25 % inflation a year, and the salaries follow the inflation. 800 pesos is 170 dollars at official rate or 130 dollars at black market rate. A wilson blx juice or pro staff or a head speed is about 1100 pesos about 220 or 190 dollars http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-439414424-raqueta-de-tenis-head-youtek-ig-speed-1820-_JM Is not as bad as you want it to make it.

thefederman
11-21-2012, 11:34 PM
What are you talking about? hyperinflation was in the 80's to have hyperinflation you need to have at least 50% a month, now we have at worst a 20 to 25 % inflation a year, and the salaries follow the inflation. 800 pesos is 170 dollars at official rate or 130 dollars at black market rate. A wilson blx juice or pro staff or a head speed is about 1100 pesos about 220 or 190 dollars http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-439414424-raqueta-de-tenis-head-youtek-ig-speed-1820-_JM Is not as bad as you want it to make it.

you are correct in you conversion of the currency but compare the wages of the two. here in canada a racket costs $200 cdn and i make 11/hour (really not special for where i live) now compare that to a racket costing 800 pesos and what an average wage per hour is

paul_tennis
11-22-2012, 02:54 AM

You are correct formally hyperinflation means (at least) a rate of 50% a month.

Actually Argentina has an annual inflation rate of 25%, and currently is in the 4th place of the countries with more inflation in the world. Also comparing that rate with "neighbour" countries such as Brazil, Chile, Colombia, México and Perú that have an annual inflation around 3% to 5%, Argentina's inflation rate is 5 times bigger...

sosa09
11-22-2012, 07:26 AM

yeah, and a couple of years ago a head youtek radical was about 600 pesos and now is 1200 or a little less... A barricade shoe was around the 500 pesos and now is about 900 , hyperinflation or not, the money in this country has a poor poor value and thins are more expensive day by day. If you want to take a tennis lesson for ONE HOUR you have to pay like 60 70 pesos, FOR ONE HOUR, A tennis bag for 6 racquets years ago was about 300 pesos and now is about 700....

You have to be like a millonaire to buy the good stuff (of tennis)

How is possible that a adidas shirt (the one that use murray or tsonga) is about 500 pesos??? ONE SHIRT, years ago the max. cost was like 200, and now is 500 or more????

sosa09
11-22-2012, 07:27 AM
You are correct formally hyperinflation means (at least) a rate of 50% a month.

Actually Argentina has an annual inflation rate of 25%, and currently is in the 4th place of the countries with more inflation in the world. Also comparing that rate with "neighbour" countries such as Brazil, Chile, Colombia, México and Perú that have an annual inflation around 3% to 5%, Argentina's inflation rate is 5 times bigger...

Well, so is not hyperinflation but there is a HIGH inflation... Its amazing how things are 5 times more expensive the next month, and the next, and the next

thejackal
03-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Was at an event this past week in Paris and saw that Delpo will be with Li-Ning next yr, not clear if it was Jan 1 or later in 2013 but a dal was done he's gone from Nike. Tecnifibre has a "concept shoe" that was designed by Philippe Barsol - Red, Black and Silver with a freaking weird triangle shaped heel (it could be posted on facebook shomewhere per Tecnifibre - it's in discussions that Major Sports what's to get into the shoe biz -

Also saw the new Asics stuff for LaMonf....Asics HUGE in France and will be pushing this stuff hard - expect to see LaMonfs as the face of Asics all over the place after Jan 1.

what event was that? curious to know since I do business in three languages (english, french and chinese) and would love to pop by paris to check it out next year

gavna
03-11-2013, 08:50 PM
what event was that? curious to know since I do business in three languages (english, french and chinese) and would love to pop by paris to check it out next year

ISPO follow up event in Paris..............ISPO a huge Munich based show (2013 show was just a few weeks ago).

Had an event at the FFT offices for the French/Benelux market - invite for FFT coaches, Club and store owners looking at products and new equipment for 2013.

Next ISPO is in Feb of 2014.......

syke
03-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Li-Ning is pretty much owned by GIC, which is the investment arm for the Government of Singapore. So theoretically speaking it's not exactly a Chinese company.

West Coast Ace
03-16-2013, 02:22 PM
yeah, and a couple of years ago a head youtek radical was about 600 pesos and now is 1200 or a little less...

How is possible that a adidas shirt (the one that use murray or tsonga) is about 500 pesos??? ONE SHIRT, years ago the max. cost was like 200, and now is 500 or more????Didn't ARG impose some tariffs on foreign brands that didn't have manufacturing facilities in the country? I remember watching a news show that said many were closing their stores - the market just isn't big enough to justify that type of investment.

Li-Ning is pretty much owned by GIC, which is the investment arm for the Government of Singapore. So theoretically speaking it's not exactly a Chinese company.Thanks for that - hadn't heard that.