PDA

View Full Version : adding lead tape on prostaff 6.1 90 blx

darklore009
11-04-2012, 10:57 PM
I have a question on how much lead I should add? I been playing with the k factor and when I switch to this racket. It feels too light. Should I buy the power strips or I should get the gamma reel of lead?

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-05-2012, 12:13 AM
The racquet is not lighter, the weight is the same. But the swingweight is lower, so maybe that's what you're feeling.

Normal lead tape is all you need, don't buy into that marketing crap of "power strips". It's just lead tape.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-05-2012, 01:47 AM
2-3 grams should be enough (using 1/4 inch width, that's 2 strips of 4-6 inches; one strip on each side of the strings across the top of the racket at 12 o'clock).

Maybe 4 grams (8 inches each strip) if your racket is on the light end or your [K]Factor was on the heavy end.

roundiesee
11-05-2012, 02:06 AM
You must be very strong; the PS BLX 90 is a heavy racket indeed and I think for most people, stock is about right, :)

doodlyd
11-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Wilson QC is so bad that he might have a 340gr instead of 354gr but PS BLX has lower swingweight anyway

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-05-2012, 02:42 AM
You must be very strong; the PS BLX 90 is a heavy racket indeed and I think for most people, stock is about right, :)

He used to use a K90, which had an even higher swingweight, hence the problem.

Wilson QC is so bad that he might have a 340gr instead of 354gr but PS BLX has lower swingweight anyway

Half an ounce is bad, even by Wilson standards. Isn't it +/- .2 or .3 (ounces)?

darklore009
11-05-2012, 08:09 AM
I do have a concern. I have a string machine that has 2 point mount. Concerned that the lead tape would be compressed. Would adding lead tape on the 11/2 position would work?

darklore009
11-05-2012, 08:10 AM
also, both rackets have 6 inches of lead on 9 and 3

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I do have a concern. I have a string machine that has 2 point mount. Concerned that the lead tape would be compressed. Would adding lead tape on the 11/2 position would work?

also, both rackets have 6 inches of lead on 9 and 3

What? Why? Unless you're talking about the lead being on the K90 (then just replicate it on the PS90).

Just get a new set of grommets, and put the lead under there. Or you could use the same grommets, but it'd be much messier.

darklore009
11-05-2012, 08:59 PM
when i string my ps90, the support would usually mess the lead up. it would cripple the lead.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-05-2012, 10:50 PM
when i string my ps90, the support would usually mess the lead up. it would cripple the lead.

Just get a new set of grommets, and put the lead under there. Or you could use the same grommets, but it'd be much messier.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-05-2012, 10:57 PM
What? Why? Unless you're talking about the lead being on the K90 (then just replicate it on the PS90).

I would advise against using the same grommets. It's difficult to "sit" used grommets down once you take them off.

I didn't believe it myself, but after I put lead at 12 o'clock underneath the bumper guard, I got an annoying buzzing sound/sensation each time I made contact with the ball.

Replaced old bumper guards with new ones and the buzzing sound/sensation is gone.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I would advise against using the same grommets. It's difficult to "sit" used grommets down once you take them off.

I didn't believe it myself, but after I put lead at 12 o'clock underneath the bumper guard, I got an annoying buzzing sound/sensation each time I made contact with the ball.

Replaced old bumper guards with new ones and the buzzing sound/sensation is gone.

That's why if you also bolded the second part, you would've noticed "but it's much messier".

I also tried to do it once, noticed how bad it fit and looked, and got a new set of grommets ASAP.

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-05-2012, 11:32 PM
That's why if you also bolded the second part, you would've noticed "but it's much messier".

I also tried to do it once, noticed how bad it fit and looked, and got a new set of grommets ASAP.

I didn't bold it because it wasn't easy snapping the old bumper guard back on. The rubber holes were all bent out of shape/misaligned from stringing, it was a nightmare trying to get old bumper guards back on.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-06-2012, 12:08 AM
I didn't bold it because it wasn't easy snapping the old bumper guard back on. The rubber holes were all bent out of shape/misaligned from stringing, it was a nightmare trying to get old bumper guards back on.

Hence the reason I ordered some new ones ASAP. It was a nightmare.