PDA

View Full Version : MS200TT Single Action Clamp questions

sherpa78
05-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Hey all,
Well, I received the LaserFibre MS200TT w/ SA clamps from JWare today and have just put it together.

Whoah. It is one bad *****! The thing just screams quality. I've got a Head Prestige Classic 600 just waiting to be strung! :o)

But, I won't string any racquets until I find out something first. I will call Tim Sullivan either tomorrow or next weekend, but in the meantime, I know there are quite a bit of MS200TT owners on this forum, so perhaps you guys can lend your expertise to a newbie LaserFibre owner.

I thought the SA clamps would lock the base. Even when I close the clamps, I can still slide the clamp along the rails. Is this supposed to happen? Is the idea that once it's clamped on the string, the tension of it holding the string is supposed to make the clamp not move? If that's how it is, it seems kinda hokey. Or, is there some mechanism that locks the clamp onto the glide rails?

Thanks for any help!

Confused,
Sherpa78

bendover
05-06-2004, 08:54 PM
If what your thought is true, wouldn't Flying clamp not work?? What about gliding clamps???

The answer lies within the clamps. Your clamps are diamond coated and has excellent grip on your strings. WHen you tension it, the strings pull and get tight. The clamps HOLDS it at that exact tension.

sherpa78
05-06-2004, 09:11 PM
bendover,
That's exactly why I'm posing the question! :) Granted the clamps are really much easier to open and close compared to my ATS SS2 composite clamps, but there has to be more of a benefit to these SA clamps.

Also, the LaserFibre clamps are not diamond-coated.

I'm confused... :(

bcaz
05-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Put a piece of string in it and see what happens. I have the double-action clamps, so I can't say how your SA clamps are supposed to behave ... the DA clamps have adjustment nuts on the bottom; check for that. Also, one alleged disadvantage of the LF SA clamp set-up is that the glide rails must be very, very clean in order to function properly.

sherpa78
05-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Thanks for your response, bcaz. I've read on this forum about the advantages/disadvantages of SA clamps. But, I think that keeping them clean won't be that big of a deal, so I went with what I thought would be the easier.

Gaines Hillix
05-07-2004, 09:58 AM
sherpa78, have you tried mounting a frame and putting string in it, pulling tenions on it, locking the clamp and releaseing the tension head? Perhaps the clamp taking on the tension when the head is released is what locks the base instead of the clamp lever? Just a guess....

sherpa78
05-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Gaines,
That's probably a pretty good guess. I'll know if it's true tonight when I try stringing on it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks,
Sherpa78

SunDog
05-07-2004, 01:10 PM
that is how most single action clamps work (think the babolats might be diff). the clamp lever has nothing to do with locking the base. the tension of the string when clamped and released from the head wedges the sa clamp on the glide bar. that is why there is inherently more drawback on a sa clamp system than a da clamp system. most of the drawback comes back out on the subsequent pull.

do not sweat it - you made a good choice. i am actually thinking of swapping my da clamps for sa when i send them in for warranty refurb.

sherpa78
05-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Sundog,
That's the best explanation I've heard! Thanks!

From what I've heard the biggest thing about SA clamps is the need to keep them clean. I'm going to walmart soon to buy some cleaning alcohol and some cloth! :)

Thanks!
Sherpa78

PS The mounting system some people claim as being difficult is really very easy and intuitive!

Jerry Seinfeld
05-07-2004, 06:40 PM
As you've already heard, your single action clamps will be fine. Go ahead and string. No worries mate. You're gonna love them.

Alcohol may work for cleaning the glide bars, but I have found that it doesn't do a good job on my LF of getting the polyurethane build-up off of the tension jaw. The Phenom particularly leads to a speedy build-up and needs to be cleaned thoroughly and regularly. I am now using non-acetone polish remover instead of alcohol. Just can't find any that is fragrance-free and don't like always smelling like a spring meadow.

sherpa78
05-07-2004, 08:32 PM
LOL! :o) Thanks for the tips Jerry!

I opted for glass cleaner w/ ammonia as per the instructions from the manual. I'm sure this will work well enough for the round glide rails. About the polish remover, can it be non-acetone nail polish remover? If not, what polish remover are you referring to?

Also, I got some paper towels. Should I instead get a lint-free cloth, or will paper towels work just as well?

Thanks again!

Sherpa78

Gaines Hillix
05-08-2004, 05:21 AM
sherpa, I am sure Jerry is referring to nail polish remover based on earlier posts. I prefer lint free cloth, especially on the clamps. Paper towls should be o.k. on the glide bars and other smooth surfaces, but avoid any that are so soft that they leave paper particles behind.

Jerry Seinfeld
05-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Old, hole-ridden, cotton gotchees. Nothing makes a better cleaning rag...IMO.

Gaines is correct. I was referring to non-acetone nail polish remover. Got this tip from Tim S. I can't believe how fast the PU from Phenom builds up in the tensioning jaw. It amazes me.

In case it isn't clear...gotchees = underware. I prefer briefs, but boxers will probably clean just as well.

sherpa78
05-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Gaines and Jerry,
Thanks so much for your expert advise. I went to walmart and got an 1.87 non-acetone nail polish remover and it seems to clean the clamps really nicely. Also, the window cleaner works really well for the round glide bar. The clamps move so smoothly! What an easy machine to maintain.

Jerry, I opted against underwear (he he) and just got an old white sock. Seems to work well. Also, for the clamps, I use a small toothbrush. Seems to work well too.

Thanks for all the help!

Very appreciatively,
Sherpa78

Steve Huff
05-08-2004, 09:04 PM
For the clamps, you can get a shoestring (the regular flat, tennis shoe strings). Get it wet with alcohol (or whatever cleaner you like) and use the shoestring to clean the clamp. Works like a charm.

sherpa78
05-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Ingenious! :)
Thanks for the tip, Steve! The toothbrush got most of the clamp teeth, but the shoelace will get deeper into the clamp that the brush could.

Sherpa78

topspin
05-10-2004, 10:44 PM
What are you talking about? You cleaning your clamps with a shoe lace?

sherpa78
05-11-2004, 05:13 AM
topspin,
yep, a shoelace dipped with non-acetone nail polish remover.
:)

Why do you ask?

topspin
05-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Oh just curious; cool I'll keep that in mind.