PDA

View Full Version : Good substitute for the Head Speed Pro

g2blake
11-06-2012, 01:52 PM
I have two of these and consider it a fantastic stick. Great plow through and compatibility with my fast stroke due to the heavy weight. The only issue I have is at the net with volleys and touch shots, as I find the maneuverability an issue. For this reason, I have been searching for a good replacement which maintains the benefits which come from the heft but a little easier to switch grips (forehand/backhand), at the net.
I picked up the IG Prestige Pro a few months back and find it lacks the plow through and feels much lighter than the Speed Pro. I also have the new BLX Six One 95 and the low swing weight makes it play differently than the Speed Pro (although great at the net, the smaller sweet spot is a slight issue with the Wilson). Recently I demoed the Dunlop Biomimetic 200 Tour, a solid racquet but felt a bit head heavy.
Anyone have a similar experience with the Speed Pro and find a good substitute? I like the specs of the new Yonex Vcore 97 but this may be much like the Prestige Pro.

Circa 1762
11-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Add 3 or 4 grams of lead at the tip of the Prestige Pro and you'll have a whole new animal. I too find the Prestiges to be too anemic stock, but they really come alive once you bump the swingweight up a bit.

Kal-El 34
11-06-2012, 03:32 PM
a bit pricy, but check out an Angell TC100... you can tweak to your liking. thin beam, and rock solid... nicest volleying frames i think i have ever hit

Maroon_Tenniskid
11-06-2012, 03:49 PM
I have two of these and consider it a fantastic stick. Great plow through and compatibility with my fast stroke due to the heavy weight. The only issue I have is at the net with volleys and touch shots, as I find the maneuverability an issue. For this reason, I have been searching for a good replacement which maintains the benefits which come from the heft but a little easier to switch grips (forehand/backhand), at the net.
I picked up the IG Prestige Pro a few months back and find it lacks the plow through and feels much lighter than the Speed Pro. I also have the new BLX Six One 95 and the low swing weight makes it play differently than the Speed Pro (although great at the net, the smaller sweet spot is a slight issue with the Wilson). Recently I demoed the Dunlop Biomimetic 200 Tour, a solid racquet but felt a bit head heavy.
Anyone have a similar experience with the Speed Pro and find a good substitute? I like the specs of the new Yonex Vcore 97 but this may be much like the Prestige Pro.

The New Speeds are coming out in January! Also a bit of lead as well as a leather grip on the IG Speed MP 16x19 makes it have some crazy plow

g2blake
11-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Any thoughts on the Yonex Vcore Tour 97? I tried leading up the tip of the prestige pro but started suffering serious arm pain.

grh
11-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Any thoughts on the Yonex Vcore Tour 97? I tried leading up the tip of the prestige pro but started suffering serious arm pain.

I switched to the lighter version of this racket (310g) from Babolat Aeropro Cortex. The switch was not smooth. It took me a while to get used to a lower-powered racket. I have had about four 2-hr sessions already and I'm beginning to adjust. It's comfortable, good control, accurate, very solid especially at the net. I got two. One was strung with polytour spin(40lbs)/multi(43lbs). Found it a bit tight for my liking. Strung the other one hybrid with (polytour pro (35)/multi(38). A bit too soft now. So I'm planning to make a tension adjustment something in between.

sixone90
11-06-2012, 09:10 PM
If you like the current IG Speed Pro then you better stock up because there will be no more Speed Pros next season. The Speed 315 will be renamed the Speed Pro