PDA

View Full Version : Berdych to Head, Dimitrov to Wilson!!

Babolast
11-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Can't believe how many players Nike is dropping!

What is going on?

What is the future for Nike tennis?!

Ico
11-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Head apparel? What the hell.

Seth
11-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Berdych to Head? This is really surprising.

dimeaxe
11-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Are you sure it's not a racquet deal?:)Maybe, after all they want to sign No1vak:mrgreen:

Babolast
11-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Head apparel? What the hell.

Money talks I guess but Nike will have lost 3 big stars come 2013... this is alarming.

hcb0804
11-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Can't believe how many players Nike is dropping!

What is going on?

What is the future for Nike tennis?!

Gotta free up the money for Djokovic

tistrapukcipeht
11-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Let's be honest, Nike $ucks, low quality shoes and apparel. Not even for free I wanted their stuff.

Berdych/Del Potro/Dimitrov aren't going to dominate ATP so Nike is actually being smart and dropping them.

Another fact is, these guys come from small countries and may not be marketable enough. Nadal and Federer are from small countries as well, but they dominate the Tour unlike the others, who buys stuff because of Berdych and Del potro, Dimitrov.

I'd be surprised if they don't drop Tomic, Tomic might go to Yonex as well.

Federerkblade
11-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Not surprised.

Bobby Jr
11-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Not surprised at all really. It's a combination of brands do assessments on public awareness of a player and what they wear - which will also factor in what they've achieved in recent years and their ages. For Berdych and Dimitrov that amounts to basically nothing in the bigger scheme of tennis.

Other factors also include a recovering retail market in some regions, especially the Asian/mid-east markets and a positive outlook over the next five years globally. This is an opportunity for newer or fringe brands to make their mark renew their presence. Wilson, for example, seems to be more popular in their clothing lines than I ever recall - they might see this as an opportunity so shore up more players who already use their racquets. It's easy pickings (Wawrinka etc).

Nike would not even bat an eyelid when these guys come to the end of their contract with them and are made offers by another company - they're probably happy to see the back of them in some cases (not worth the effort or money). That's why players basically never have long-term contracts until they've achieved something special. Nike have rarely ever put effort into "me too" players on the tour and will be on the hunt for the next Sampras/Agassi/Federer/Nadal who is still under 20 at this stage. They can sign 20 of them for the amount of money Berdych would think he's worth for another two years.

sureshs
11-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Source?...........

Xavier
11-08-2012, 01:48 PM
This is fake

Babolast
11-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Source?...........

This is fake

Just wait until 2013 and then you can eat your words....

gavna
11-08-2012, 02:00 PM

Right......I've been in Europe for 3 weeks now and I've heard from a bunch of folks in the industry talking about all the switches in 2013.....LaMonf with Asics (been offical for a few weeks now) Delpo with Li-Ning (all over the place last week in Bercy) - Head pushing their line of soft goods in 2013 and looking to hook up at least 1 or 2 top 20 players Berdie was a done deal.

And it's not Nike dropping them its the players going out for bigger and better deals -

Adidas_Anderson
11-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Here's a tweet
Wilson Tennis ‏@WilsonTennis
We're only 6 followers away from 30,000. Let's do this!!
Expand
1h Tennis Connected ‏@TennisConnected
@WilsonTennis We're hearing Grigor Dimitrov is joining Wilson as an apparel player as well. True or false?
Expand
15m Wilson Tennis ‏@WilsonTennis
@tennisconnected hmm, where did you hear that rumor? Grigor is currently with Wilson tennis rackets and accessories.
Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite
6:45 AM - 9 Nov 12 Details

11m Tennis Connected ‏@TennisConnected
@WilsonTennis Insider told us that he's making the switch. I guess we'll keep an eye out.

cluckcluck
11-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Here's a tweet
Wilson Tennis ‏@WilsonTennis
We're only 6 followers away from 30,000. Let's do this!!
Expand
1h Tennis Connected ‏@TennisConnected
@WilsonTennis We're hearing Grigor Dimitrov is joining Wilson as an apparel player as well. True or false?
Expand
15m Wilson Tennis ‏@WilsonTennis
@tennisconnected hmm, where did you hear that rumor? Grigor is currently with Wilson tennis rackets and accessories.
Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite
6:45 AM - 9 Nov 12 Details

11m Tennis Connected ‏@TennisConnected
@WilsonTennis Insider told us that he's making the switch. I guess we'll keep an eye out.

You think the social media manager would know these kinds of details from such a large company? Doubtful. If this is actually going to happen (the switch), then the higherups would now long before social media.

Bobby Jr
11-08-2012, 02:13 PM
To be fair.... you've had a clanger in the past with regards to Djokovic. I wouldn't tell people to get ready to eat their words unless you're prepared to do the same. :twisted:

Babolast
11-08-2012, 02:18 PM
To be fair.... you've had a clanger in the past with regards to Djokovic. I wouldn't tell people to get ready to eat their words unless you're prepared to do the same. :twisted:

Mate I'm prepared to do the same. Deals are DONE. Just thought il pass it on to fellow TTW members.

As regards to Djokovic I said it was a "big rumour" these deals are confirmed.

tennisfan2010
11-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Surprised about Berdych, wow!

Ico
11-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Looking to the future, there aren't many Nike players past Federer and Nadal. I suppose Janowicz and Goffin are the future of Nike Tennis?

anhuynh16
11-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I could understand Dimitrov, but source please for Berdych?

jepriy
11-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Grisha would fit perfectly with Wilson apparel. He's not quite the top player yet so this is good opportunity for him to get more dough from the sponsors.

Tomas I just cant imagine out of Nike. He's solid and seems to be promoting the brand well.

Nole should not move to Nike.

SoBad
11-08-2012, 10:28 PM
What's going on with the Uniqlo 6-month outsole guarantee program?

Bobby Jr
11-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Looking to the future, there aren't many Nike players past Federer and Nadal. I suppose Janowicz and Goffin are the future of Nike Tennis?
That's because Nike have 100 people on their 'keep watch' list who you've never heard of yet. Mainly because they're under 20.

PrincessAdam
11-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Dimitrov isn't getting dropped by nike... They just recently did something with him for the nike flame line. They are still going to be signing him. He won't be going anywhere

T21D
11-09-2012, 07:36 AM
My question is "why does it matter whether Berd or Dimi go on to other brands?" Do those players players influence you to buy their products or pay their salaries? Personally, it doesn't matter to me. When Andre moved on to adidas, I thought, good for him. The dude is still getting paid after all these years.

serve stopper
11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Dimitrov isn't getting dropped by nike... They just recently did something with him for the nike flame line. They are still going to be signing him. He won't be going anywhere

Or there getting as much as they can out of him before the switch

gplracer
11-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Let's be honest, Nike $ucks, low quality shoes and apparel. Not even for free I wanted their stuff.

Berdych/Del Potro/Dimitrov aren't going to dominate ATP so Nike is actually being smart and dropping them.

Another fact is, these guys come from small countries and may not be marketable enough. Nadal and Federer are from small countries as well, but they dominate the Tour unlike the others, who buys stuff because of Berdych and Del potro, Dimitrov.

I'd be surprised if they don't drop Tomic, Tomic might go to Yonex as well.

I like Nike. What would you call a "high quality" brand?

tistrapukcipeht
11-09-2012, 02:25 PM
I like Nike. What would you call a "high quality" brand?

Yonex (anything), Lacoste (clothing), Sergio Tachinni (clothing), Asics (shoes), Mizuno (shoes).

I can't say about Mizuno and Asics' apparel though.

rovex
11-09-2012, 04:02 PM
. I suppose Janowicz and Goffin are the future of Nike Tennis?

That would be the obvious thinking there.

Babolast
11-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Or there getting as much as they can out of him before the switch

Exactly....

Rjtennis
11-09-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm suprised by Del Po. He is still young and will probably win more slams. I'm sure Nike wanted to keep him, but didn't want to match other offers.

NLBwell
11-09-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm never surprised about players changing sponsors (unless they have a "lifetime contract" - even these don't seem to last a lifetime). Doesn't need to be a conspiracy theory, just the best package available - money plus any other things that can be packaged.

slal1984
11-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Nike is sponsoring 5 of the top 10 women...!!!

lim
11-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Baby Fed leaving Nike?!

Roforot
11-10-2012, 04:43 AM
I don't think Nike cares as they have Federer and Nadal.
I find their Dryfit clothing to be high quality even after several washes. Their shorts were weird w/ their drawstring, but now I like the simplicity. These shorts vent well and again have survived several washings w/out losing form/texture/softness.

Ico
11-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Even a retired Fed will probably help Nike more than any other athlete...

El Nino
11-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Will Dimitrov now just be another tennis player and less Fed comparisons will be made? He wasn't compared to Fed When he was wearing Adidas Clothing. The Fed comparisons were made manly due to the Nike clothing.

フェデラー
11-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Will Dimitrov now just be another tennis player and less Fed comparisons will be made? He wasn't compared to Fed When he was wearing Adidas Clothing. The Fed comparisons were made manly due to the Nike clothing.

I think it was more of the fact that he pretty much has copied his style, uses the wilson racket, same strings, etc..

dr325i
11-10-2012, 12:46 PM

You must be correct. Ah, wait, I remember the Adidas Falcon line...

Vertiz
11-10-2012, 01:22 PM
I don't think this is real but Nike HAS been pursuing some major athletes that would require a large amount of money. Rory for Nike Golf and Novak for Nike Tennis. If both come to Nike, the brand would certainly be shelling out major bills.

NickC
11-10-2012, 03:10 PM
I think it was more of the fact that he pretty much has copied his style, uses the wilson racket, same strings, etc..

It's actually because they were trained by the same coach.

Dream_On
11-11-2012, 07:55 AM
It's actually because they were trained by the same coach.

I remember there were still fed comparisons when he was playing against nadal in 08 with adidas clothing and a head racquet

Babolast
11-13-2012, 07:29 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/30mrh9l.jpg

JSouza
11-14-2012, 12:43 AM
This is tough to believe. The Dimitrov part I mean. Because I just saw on twitter, that the Dimitrov Fans account posted pics of him in the US, Chicago I think, doing a Nike photoshoot on the Nike campus....He was also at the Wilson lab last week.
Dimitrov is a crazily talented player, and people who talk about his weak backhand, well, Wayne Ferreira is quoted as saying that back in 1999-2001, federer had one of the worst backhands on tour. So he can work on that. If he can do that, then no way should Nike drop him. With his variety and flair there's gotta be a place for him in the top 20. Hes quite popular now, imagine what a fan fave he could be then.

Clarky21
11-14-2012, 08:37 AM
This is tough to believe. The Dimitrov part I mean. Because I just saw on twitter, that the Dimitrov Fans account posted pics of him in the US, Chicago I think, doing a Nike photoshoot on the Nike campus....He was also at the Wilson lab last week.
Dimitrov is a crazily talented player, and people who talk about his weak backhand, well, Wayne Ferreira is quoted as saying that back in 1999-2001, federer had one of the worst backhands on tour. So he can work on that. If he can do that, then no way should Nike drop him. With his variety and flair there's gotta be a place for him in the top 20. Hes quite popular now, imagine what a fan fave he could be then.

He's so talented he's never even managed to win even one singles title on tour at 21 years old. Dimitrov is the very definition of overrated.

And he's only popular because he's a Fed copycat. If he didn't try to emulate Fed and copy his style no one would give a crap about this guy.

rafafan20
11-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Yonex (anything), Lacoste (clothing), Sergio Tachinni (clothing), Asics (shoes), Mizuno (shoes).

I can't say about Mizuno and Asics' apparel though.

Lacoste clothing is cheaply made junk that falls apart.

Nike is the premium brand in tennis apparel/shoes in my opinion

Blitzball
11-14-2012, 12:00 PM

It just sucks how overpriced their apparel is. And the prices go up EVERY YEAR. But I agree, the quality and designs are always great.

jokinla
11-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Nike clothes fall apart just as easily, they just feel better before they fall apart.

tistrapukcipeht
11-14-2012, 06:07 PM

It must be premium in third world countries where they're controlled by the Nike super marketing, to me is pure crap, too much sweat is held in the shirts.

You have to wash Nike by hand, otherwise it will be gone after 5 washes.

My YY's shirts are worn every week, still they look like they're new, Lacost and Tachini are very good as well, but Yonex ones are the ones for the summer, i never wring my shirt in the summer like I used to.

Babolast
11-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Guys lets steer back on topic shall we.

jokinla
11-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Guys lets steer back on topic shall we.

Exactly, enough talk about the low quality of this stuff, let's get back to fantasizing about what pros will be wearing next year! What's wrong with you guys?

Babolast
11-26-2012, 09:49 PM
From Nike Tennis Facebook page:

Stoaked to finally get a pair of these Flame Vapors, I wasn’t going to leave Nike Tennis without them. Thanks to Barry Chiu's blindfolded serve challenge, I earned a pair for myself.

- Dimitrov

tennis_balla
11-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Not happening with Dimitrov, he's staying with Nike....

https://twitter.com/niketennis/status/274204842501750785

Babolast
12-18-2012, 06:37 PM
UPDATE: Berdych to Head deal fell through...

Del Potro IS leaving Nike but at the start of 2014.

New Balance is on the verge of signing a top 20 player.

Dimitrov has 1 more year on his contract so he may or may not stay with Nike.

sosa09
12-19-2012, 07:48 AM

And do you know anything about adidas signing a new player??

Babolat Official
12-19-2012, 08:10 AM
And do you know anything about adidas signing a new player??

Sorry, used to be an agent so have to chime in...

Nike (any company with athletes under contract, actually) will have first right of refusal on Delpo, Dimitrov, etc. So we won't know until Nike formally declines to match an official higher offer.

Delpo's agent (Ugo) is brothers with a Nike exec...don't see him compromising that relationship unless it is for a HUGE amount of money. And what company would step up but also invest in activation?

I have heard rumors of Asics making a play at top 20 male.

Babolast
12-19-2012, 08:49 AM
I have heard rumors of Asics making a play at top 20 male.

Asics have signed Monfils.

Doublebounce
12-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Asics have signed Monfils.

Possibly Haas as well. He was wearing their shoes and apparel on and off last season so it would make sense to sign him while he was no sponsor.

appdach96
12-26-2012, 09:46 AM
He has since deleted the photo off of his Twitter account but yesterday Raonic had a photo with his nephew and he had on a New Balance jacket...

Head Pegger
12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Has Jerzy Janowicz been sponsored yet? He Is young and had a good performance at Paris Masters

dr325i
12-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Has Jerzy Janowicz been sponsored yet? He Is young and had a good performance at Paris Masters

Maybe the companies want to see how real he really is since 2012 Paris was not really Masters 1000 worthy...

PhotoBlue
12-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Maybe the companies want to see how real he really is since 2012 Paris was not really Masters 1000 worthy...

Yeah 1 great tourney is not going to sign a multi-mil dollar deal.

jokinla
12-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Yeah 1 great tourney is not going to sign a multi-mil dollar deal.

Donald Young got one off NO great tourney.

man_untd11
12-28-2012, 08:24 AM

Berdych still wearing Nike at Abu Dhabi. Maybe not this year?

dr325i
12-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Donald Young got one off NO great tourney.

Young is a TOTALLY different case.
He was expected to be the next big thing, and was a successful Jr. No one has ever heard of the Polish guy before Paris 2012...

PBODY99
12-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Berdych still wearing Nike at Abu Dhabi. Maybe not this year?
2013 is not quite here yet. What he wears by the Oz Open will tell the tale

man_untd11
12-29-2012, 05:32 PM
2013 is not quite here yet. What he wears by the Oz Open will tell the tale

Gotcha, thanks! (:

appdach96
12-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Milos Raonic is no longer listed on the Lacoste site...

jokinla
12-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Young is a TOTALLY different case.
He was expected to be the next big thing, and was a successful Jr. No one has ever heard of the Polish guy before Paris 2012...

The point was, you don't have to do anything in the pros to get a million dollar deal.

Babolast
12-30-2012, 04:33 AM
Milos Raonic is no longer listed on the Lacoste site...

He wore a Lacoste top today.
http://i48.tinypic.com/b874eb.jpg

JuanTennisFan17
01-02-2013, 09:11 PM
http://http://m.brisbaneinternational.com.au/news.html#item1

Dimitrov stills using Nike's Apparel at Brisbane

JuanTennisFan17
01-02-2013, 09:12 PM
http://http://m.brisbaneinternational.com.au/news.html#item1

FedExpress
01-03-2013, 05:34 AM
Berdych is wearing Nike in Chennai- but with a covering over the swoosh on his tshirt. Nothing covering the swoosh on his shoes though!

Babolast
01-03-2013, 05:51 AM
Berdych will continue to wear Nike shoes but has indeed signed with another brand for clothing. Can't reveal as of yet.

anhuynh16
01-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Berdych will continue to wear Nike shoes but has indeed signed with another brand for clothing. Can't reveal as of yet.

Babolast, may I ask what you do? If you don't feel comfortable saying on here, shoot me an email :) anhuynh16@yahoo.com

XFactorer
01-03-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm going to guess Lacoste. I see a lot of the Lacoste players wearing Nike shoes.

Dave_D
01-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Berdych looked stupid with patches over the logos on his clothes in Chennai. If he signed a new agreement with a sponsor, could they not send him clothes for his match? Seems kinda weird to me.

gavna
01-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Not sure what the big secret is? the Head folks have been chirping he was going to wear Head gear after Jan 1st. Head pushing a full line of soft goods for 2013.

FEDERERNADAL13
01-03-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm going to guess Lacoste. I see a lot of the Lacoste players wearing Nike shoes.

I'm guessing H & M, just because :)

Homeboy Hotel
01-03-2013, 12:53 PM

H&M
10loliruinedthedramaticsuspensechars

niktub
01-03-2013, 01:36 PM
yes and why not Tipsarevic with Zara?

XFactorer
01-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Just found this news article.

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Tomas-Berdych-splits-with-Nike-articolo7649.html

Sinner
01-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Sooooo... any updates? H&M... really!? lol

niktub
01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
very cheap image but he must have received a big check...
Cos would have been nicer.

augustobt
01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Berdych to Lacoste?

West Coast Ace
01-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Not sure what the big secret is? the Head folks have been chirping he was going to wear Head gear after Jan 1st. Head pushing a full line of soft goods for 2013.Thanks for the intel.

Maybe they didn't have his size... :) Or (more likely and being serious) they want the launch to be at the AO, not a dink 250 or exo.

augustobt
01-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the intel.

Maybe they didn't have his size... :) Or (more likely and being serious) they want the launch to be at the AO, not a dink 250 or exo.

That makes a little sense. But Berdych playing with "clean" shirts is a cool factor.