PDA

View Full Version : Which Donnay Racquet?

stringtight
11-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Hi all. I would like your opinions on which Donnay racquet you would choose. I am currently demoing the X-Dual gold 99, Silver 99, XP-dual black 102 and the Pro One 16x19. I am really favoring the gold 99 due to its feel, the movement I get on my serve and it's excellent control. I feel it slightly lacks in the volley though! The Silver seemed slightly stiffer then the gold and a tad more powerfull, however I had less control. I liked the serve and power of the XP-Dual Black 102, but the feel and control wasn't as good as the Gold's 99. I felt the Pro One had the least feel of all, but was still very comfy on all my shots and was most stable on the volley. It seems to be the most popular of the models I'm trying. I would like it more if it was more head light. Even with the 10 gram butt cap it felt a little to head heavy for me.I have had some shoulder and elbow problems lately and really feel any of these racquets all will work toward minimizing my arm problems. especially the Gold 99 and XP-Dual 102. I am currently playing with the Prince 03 Speedport Tour, with lead in both the handle and grip. I also regriped them with leather. Total weight comes in at 12.4 oz.I string with Kirshbaum Proline 11 (115) in the mains (55lbs) and Gamma Proffessional (16) in the crosses (59lbs). I am a 4.5 all court player. Actually, I like all the Donnay racquets modified with there weight system. I can usally demo and pick a racquet very quickly. The Donnay brand really has me in a state of confusion! I have never liked so many different models of one brand before! I feel this says a lot for the Donnay product! Any of your oppinoions will be greatly appreciated!

TripleB
11-09-2012, 05:27 AM
I can't provide any help but I do want to thank you for your comparisons. I was thinking about trying all of those except the ProOne...because I had read that the maneuverability of it wasn't so great.

Unfortunately a torn meniscus, broken bone, or both in the knee area (find out what this afternoon) will have me sidelined for months. I'm hoping all those racquets are still around then so I can give them a try.

Again, just wanted to say thanks for posting your thoughts.

TripleB

stringtight
11-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Your welcome TripleB! I meant to say in my current racquet, I had lead added in both the grip and hoop area. Not just the handle grip area. All the Donnay's are really nice feeling frames. Like I said, I am really impressed with them all. I have allways customized my sticks and Donnay really makes it easy to do so with there customizing kits! Good luck with your medical issues!

cluckcluck
11-09-2012, 06:11 PM
As a current user of the newer Donnays (x-dark red) and I would say that the Pro One 16x19 will be your best bet. It has the right amount of feel and with your 4.5 all court, I'm sure you can generate power when needed.
Don't be afraid of the open string pattern, the Donnay frames xenecore offer a nice blend of everything.

tennismonkey
11-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Ive demoed the x-dual 102, gold and silver. I thought the 102 was a little too light. The gold was a smidge too heavy. Silver was like goldilocks and just right. Right weight stock but with plenty of room to add weight.

I found silver and gold to play and flex mostly the same. Didnt notice any stiffness differences.

For the OP - i would think the gold with lead in handle and hoop is your best bet. I noticed a lot more power with lead in the hoop.

rst
12-10-2012, 08:26 PM
i cant say for certain but the x series and x-duuals have 15 to 17mm frames....really thin at the top. the formulas and pro 1s have wider 20+mm frames.

i use an older x-yellow (and likely would consider an xdual silver lite) becaus eof the thinnness and lightness of the racket...at low tensions (softened up 52lbs).

i hit flat except for slice onehand BH and this racket is comfortable and fast and fits my flat hitting style. the formulas and pro ones may have a very diffent hit to them