PDA

View Full Version : Bio 500 Tour

un6a
11-09-2012, 05:28 AM
My new Bio 500 Tour arrived today.

Initial observations:
It's 5 grams under specs, balance seems to be 3 pts HL as advertised.
Dry swings feels good, not too light nor too heavy. Estimated SW is 310-315.
Head shape is different from Bio 400T, more narrow and longer.
Pattern is very open, much more then 400T, similar to Tec Tfight.
It's factory prestrung with dunlop silk at high tension (about 60 lbs)
Grip size is 2, and with overgrip it's perfect for me. I had to rewrap grip on my Bio 400T (G3) very tightly to get similar result.

More to come tommorrow after my double session.

robbo1970
11-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Dunlop put a strung weight on their rackets which will surely have a bit of flexibility depending on what it is strung with, but 5g under is good as it will be close to spot on with a dampener.

The head shape on the 400T is different, its a different mold to the previous Bio's, more like the new models.

I went for the grip size 2 as well. I have small hands so although I switched the grip to the biomimetic tour replacement grip, I dont bother now with an overgrip and the feel is great.

The Bio's do just feel like quality rackets, I even think the silk is ok.

The 500T is a very popular racket for a reason. Enjoy.

zapvor
11-09-2012, 09:24 AM
i had the old ag 500tour and loved it for serves.

you should not have gotten pre strung though........

LeeD
11-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Have 3 Aero 500's, one weighted with now 20 grams of weight, 12 at 10-2, and 8 at the buttcap under the overgrip.
I like the lighter ones better, every time, against anyone, for match play. I like rallying and hitting with the heavier one, for sure.
I find holding the racket down by 1/4" makes a huge difference in SW, enough to compensate for the light weight of the rackets.
And to compensate for mishits and twisting, I still use 4 5/8th with an overgrip.
Can't imagine how anyone can hit volleys off hard passing shots with a grip smaller than 1/2.

un6a
11-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Quick update after my tennis session:

Sweet spot of Bio 500T is smaller then most 100 inch head size racquets and because of narrow head shape it plays more like 98 inch size racquet imo.

Power level was simmilar to 400T, but i got more action on the ball with 400T. Though string jobs are different (fresh full poly on 400T, silk on 500T).
With full poly at lower tension it may be different animal.

It have very nice crisp feel, but not metallic like Tfight for example.
Although beam width is 25 mm, racquet don't feel as clumsy as some other wider beam racquets because of narrower head shape and i think it is heading
more towards all court performance than most 100 inch head size racquets.
It plays like 300 Tour on steroids. 400T is more suited for pure baseline play imo.

Bio 500T is more stable than 400T in stock form, and i don't think i will need to modify weight (maybe just heavier grip to make it a bit more HL)

Though today i played better with 400T (more consistent with fewer UE) i'm looking forward to try 500T again eventually with poly strings.

robbo1970
11-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Have 3 Aero 500's, one weighted with now 20 grams of weight, 12 at 10-2, and 8 at the buttcap under the overgrip.
I like the lighter ones better, every time, against anyone, for match play. I like rallying and hitting with the heavier one, for sure.
I find holding the racket down by 1/4" makes a huge difference in SW, enough to compensate for the light weight of the rackets.
And to compensate for mishits and twisting, I still use 4 5/8th with an overgrip.
Can't imagine how anyone can hit volleys off hard passing shots with a grip smaller than 1/2.

when you have smaller hands you need a smaller grip, simple as that.

And its not that difficult.

EDK
11-10-2012, 12:17 PM
What's your full poly of choice in the 400T?

LeeD
11-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Dude, 60 lbs strings are ridiculous, unless you are Monfils size.
I run 52 on my 500's, and it's too stiff, tight, and low powered with good control. I can go down to 48, I'm sure.
Can't tell a racket is right or wrong with 60 lbs.
A stiff racket works well with looser strings.

MikeHitsHard93
11-10-2012, 01:06 PM
If my pro open has multi at any less than 56, it catapults.

LeeD
11-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Strange, it don't seem to catapult for Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic.
Maybe you hit harder than them?

LeeD
11-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Actually, I should retract moire's last post.
I seldom get "catapult" problems when I swing at every ball.
I usually get that problem when I"m defensive blocking the ball, and the catapult effect causes the ball to go long.
When I swing out fast and strong, the ball is usually under control, if I insure to add positive spin to the shot.

treblings
11-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Strange, it don't seem to catapult for Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic.
Maybe you hit harder than them?

they donīt use multi

LeeD
11-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Good idea, to use a strong no good player uses, and it catapults for you, and probably will cause arm problems in the future with a 67 stiffness racket at 60 lbs. tension.

MikeHitsHard93
11-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Good idea, to use a strong no good player uses, and it catapults for you, and probably will cause arm problems in the future with a 67 stiffness racket at 60 lbs. tension.

Not at all. It's quite comfy

LeeD
11-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Dunlop500T's average about a 70 stiffness rating.
Does that sound like your racket?

un6a
11-10-2012, 02:14 PM
What's your full poly of choice in the 400T?

Actually it's SP Hyperion at 24/23 kg. Liked it from 1st hit. Tried also Beast XP, Black widow (too muted for me) and Pro Line 2. Imo Hyperion and PL 2 offers similar level of control, but hyperion have better tension maitenance.

prjacobs
11-10-2012, 03:01 PM
I used a 4D 500 tour with a full gut setup @ 60. I added two grams of lead @ 3 and 9 and another two grams under the grip. I had great success with it, but it got to my shoulder.

LeeD
11-10-2012, 03:12 PM
As said, I just wonder why so many of us are using tensions well higher than what the top 10 ATP pros use?
You can cite multi's, or whatever, but the fact remains, thems hit harder than us, so why are we using 60lbs. in a normal sized racket (90-100)?
And with frame stiffnesse's getting close to 70, we should DECREASE string tension.

MikeHitsHard93
11-10-2012, 03:42 PM
As said, I just wonder why so many of us are using tensions well higher than what the top 10 ATP pros use?
You can cite multi's, or whatever, but the fact remains, thems hit harder than us, so why are we using 60lbs. in a normal sized racket (90-100)?
And with frame stiffnesse's getting close to 70, we should DECREASE string tension.

Because we don't have pinpoint placement or racket head angle

robbo1970
11-10-2012, 03:53 PM
When I get my 300 re-strung I won't go too high on the tension, I think a lower tension sounds like it would be more comfortable.

LeeD
11-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Flawed thinking, Mike.
Higher tensions is more pinpoint, more exact.
Lower tensions allow a certain amount of error built in.

robbo1970
11-10-2012, 04:09 PM
I just can't help but thinking that a higher tension is creating a harder hitting surface which will affect the arm after a while.

LeeD
11-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Higher tension plus stiff rackets, equal arm and shoulder problems.
Higher tensions equals less resilience, meaning less power.
If 8 out of the top 10 ATP pros play with 50 lbs. tension, do we need 60 for our level of play? And our frail bodies?

MikeHitsHard93
11-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Mk. I thought it would be the other way around.

Since they're freaks of nature, they can hit with ANY tension. However, they can use lower tension BECAUSE they are so good and can control all of that power. That is what I was saying. We up our tensions because we lack the control and precision needed to tame low tensions.

Is my thinking REALLY that far off?...

robbo1970
11-10-2012, 04:23 PM
No, I know exactly what youre saying Mike, the higher tension helps us with control where the pro's have the talent to control with lower tensions.

I just also see the point that a high tension on a stiff racket, whilst its better for control, has its downside with long term comfort.

MikeHitsHard93
11-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah I would agree if we were talking about poly, kevlar, or even synthetic gut to an extent. However, multis are really comfortable at any tension and so is Gut. Otherwise James Blake would have broken his arm after using his AG 4D 300T with Gut @75lbs.

I agree but I disagree, depending on the circumstances.

LeeD
11-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Blake is using 60's.
He is stronger and better condtioned than us.
Monfils also uses high tension.
But what of the top 4?

MikeHitsHard93
11-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Somewhere I saw he was using gut at 75lbs. Maybe that was only for a short time...

I guess you're not getting my point.

LeeD
11-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Your point doesn't make sense.
Why would YOU need to string a racket at 60+ lbs, when the 25 out of the top 30 Men's players strings at 50?
What? You need more control than them? What? You hit harder than them? What? You need more precision than a PRO tennis player?

SteveI
11-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Why would YOU need to string a racket at 60+ lbs, when the 25 out of the top 30 Men's players strings at 50?
What? You need more control than them? What? You hit harder than them? What? You need more precision than a PRO tennis player?

I have been stringing lower and lower as I age. Right now I am using co-poly hybrids in the lower 50s. If you have decent strokes and use racket head speed/spin to control your shots....you can use a much lower tension. I used to hit a much flater ball and required a softer frame.. and a higher tension to gain control. I also used to stay with tighter string patterns to help with control. I moved to SW FH and more eastern on my OHBH. Most of the frames out there these days are being designed for modern strokes. Trying to hit classics old school strokes can be a problem.

MikeHitsHard93
11-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Nevermind. You are being thick-headed bro lol. Nothing I say can even change your way of thinking in the slightest.

acura9927
11-11-2012, 07:23 PM
I am taking a chance on the Bio 500T after a good exp with my newly acquired 400T. 109 bucks for new, shipped and strung. What a deal.

MikeHitsHard93
11-11-2012, 07:28 PM
I am taking a chance on the Bio 500T after a good exp with my newly acquired 400T. 109 bucks for new, shipped and strung. What a deal.

Yes, that is a great deal in my opinion, too!

What's the string it comes with?

acura9927
11-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Dunlop Silk, not a good multi, not the worse either but close.

MikeHitsHard93
11-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah I remember it being really stiff. Oh well!

Timbo's hopeless slice
11-11-2012, 08:42 PM
ohh, I had such a bad experience with the Bio500T.

Looking back, I probably didn't give it a chance, it was strung with Silk and was probably at abour 60lbs, like yours.

For me, it was an overpowered and rather unstable cannon of a thing that I just couldn't get to grips with.

I probably should have restrung it with a soft poly at a lower tension, but I lost a match to someone I should (and always have before) beat and sold it the next day in disgust..

Everyone likes different stuff is all you can really take away from this place, eh? :)

acura9927
11-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Silk is a launcher, I am tempted to eat the loss on my new 400 and 500t and put in NXT.

treblings
11-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Yeah I would agree if we were talking about poly, kevlar, or even synthetic gut to an extent. However, multis are really comfortable at any tension and so is Gut. Otherwise James Blake would have broken his arm after using his AG 4D 300T with Gut @75lbs.

I agree but I disagree, depending on the circumstances.

almost any pro nowadays uses either poly or a hybrid with poly.
that allows them to string at lower tensions. it is a characteristic of poly to not loose control at low tensions.
multi on the other side is a lot like gut. you string it too low, it īcatapultsī

at higher tensions or if you play too many hours with it, poly puts a lot of stress on the arm and shoulder.

un6a
11-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Quick update. I had another session with Bio 500T.
This time lack of power and spin was more noticable to me. Though i like feel, weight and balance. I really have to restring it with poly at lower tension to get more accurate idea how it plays. Dunlop Silk at high tension is not good match for this type of racquet.

robbo1970
11-16-2012, 01:27 AM
There are a few people I play against who use the 500T and all seem to really like it. I get the feeling its one of those rackets that is just a really good all-rounder.

But maybe you do just need to try a few strings. Personally, I quite like Silk. I use it without a dampener and it feels very comfortable with a goof feel to it.

acura9927
11-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Can someone suggest a better string for the 500t than what it came with? It's strung mid tension with silk and my elbow feels it on first serves with power. Looking for a better multi with more comfort and more spin, power level I'm happy with the stick as is.

acura9927
12-03-2012, 12:56 PM
I sold the Bio 500T on the site starts with E.
Me and the stick didnt connect somehow, the SW and balance to me were under par compared to the 300T and 400T.
I know you guys said it swung light but I didnt feel that, it felt heavy and swung like a Juice Pro to me.
I may buy a 2nd Bio 300T as it is by far the best stick I've tried all year and I've tried probably 12-15.

un6a
01-14-2013, 02:35 AM
I had few more sessions with this beautifull baby with full poly job. Here are my thougs.

Pros:
- Great feel. It have one of the best feel at contact i have experienced. Great pocketing due to very open string pattern.
- Serving. It is really good racquet for serving, both flat and even more notably kick serves.
- Nice weight and balance. It is only 2-3 headlight, but it feels manuverable yet solid at contact.
- It is pretty stable for its weight, i didn't experienced any vibration or torque like with 400 Tour in stock form.

Cons:
- Depth control. I was hitting long more than usuall. From forehand i could keep ball in when i put enough spin on the ball, but i could not find confidence with my flatter 2HBH.
- Small sweetspot for 100 inch head size. Sweetspot is narrow and probablly smallest from all 100 inch head size racquets i tested so far.
- String durability. It is string shredder. With so open string pattern there is much bigger stress on strings and they lose tension faster, start to move faster and they are more notched than usual.

As for spin, i don't think my shots jumped higher than with other frames with tighter patterns. I can get decent spin with all string patterns, but i noticed
that my shots were heavier with added power and hitting partners which are used to my game had more problems with my forehand shots.

I like hitting with this frame, but in training sets with my hitting partners i had worse results than usual, just because of more unforced errors. I'm just not as confident from baseline like with 400T for example.

I will give it one more chance and i will string it with thicker gauge a little bit higher next time. I like some aspects of this frame, but need to fix depth control issue.

LeeD
01-14-2013, 11:18 AM
500's benefit from thicker strings....less bounce, more control, longer lasting, softer feel.
String at 52, swing out at every stroke...don't bunt the ball.
Stiffness can hurt your elbow/shoulder/wrist with tiny grips, but if you hit center, it's no problem. I use 5/8th with an overgrip, medium hands.

SteveI
01-14-2013, 12:06 PM
500's benefit from thicker strings....less bounce, more control, longer lasting, softer feel.
String at 52, swing out at every stroke...don't bunt the ball.
Stiffness can hurt your elbow/shoulder/wrist with tiny grips, but if you hit center, it's no problem. I use 5/8th with an overgrip, medium hands.

The 500 Series are frames designed for full, fast and the more modern game. They are as LeeD states, are not for short bunting strokes. The only way to get the best out of this series is to take full rips at the ball. The sweetspot is somewhat narrow and rewards clean ball striking. Outside of sweetpot can be somewhat harsh and jarring. The RA being quite high can cause arm pain and soreness if you string too high. I had some nice results using 16G softer co-polys just over mid tension. If you plan is to string high with a stiffer poly to obtain better control than you are in for a possible sore arm, wrist or shoulder.

un6a
01-14-2013, 01:55 PM
My current string job is SP Hyperion (1.24) at 53/51. I plan to string it with with SP Tornado (1.29) at 55/53 next time.
I hope that thicker gauge will also holds tension better.

SteveI
01-14-2013, 01:56 PM
My current string job is SP Hyperion (1.24) at 53/51. I plan to string it with with SP Tornado (1.29) at 55/53 next time.
I hope that thicker gauge will also holds tension better.

A string that works nice in that frame is the IsoSpeed Baseline 16G

LeeD
01-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Should be fine.
I find bigger gauge strings hold tension AND last longer, but don't provide as much spring or trampoline effect.
55 can be quite stiff a tension, as that racket tends to play on the stiff side and the ball leaves the strings VERY quickly even at 50 lbs. for me.

acura9927
01-14-2013, 01:58 PM
I hated this racquet. I had the same feeling you guys had, small sweetspot and harsh feel outside of the sweet spot.

LeeD
01-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Different strokes (or racket's) for different strokes.
I like the 10 oz 500 better than the Tours, and took all the weight I added to my 500's off and play them stock with an OG.
I still hit better with my 200's.
I play points better with the lighter 500's. The two are not the same.

SteveI
01-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Different strokes (or racket's) for different strokes.
I like the 10 oz 500 better than the Tours, and took all the weight I added to my 500's off and play them stock with an OG.
I still hit better with my 200's.
I play points better with the lighter 500's. The two are not the same.

The sweetpot is fine if you string about mid tension and with a softer/thicker poly with nice ball pocketing. Another string I used was Gosen OG ProForm Ruff 16G.. very low power and easy on the arm and wallet

LeeD
01-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Point noted.
All 3 have some form of Lux16 at 52 lbs., and seem a little tight overall.