PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Appreciated on these Racquets...

TripleB
11-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Due to having microfracture surgery after Thanksgiving, I'm going to be off the courts until June of 2013. I know what you're thinking, "He hasn't ever gone 7 months without trying a new racquet in his life!" You're probably right...I figure withdrawal symptoms will start hitting me in January!!!

Anyway, I realize that between now and then many new racquets are going to come onto the market and many of the racquets that are current now are going to drop to closeout prices.

So I thought I would see if I can get some opinions on several racquets I was thinking of demoing before my injury occured? I figure if they drop to rock bottom prices between now and June I might just take a chance on one of them.

Thanks for any input you can give on the following racquets:
1) Donnay XDual Gold 99
2) Donnay XDual Silver 99
3) Donnay X-P Dual Black 102
4) Dunlop Biomimetic F 3.0 Tour
5) Head YT IG Speed 300

I'm looking for a thin beamed, excellent control, very good spin potential, easy-on-the-arm, decent pop (more than my AG 4D 300, LM Rad MP, or AG 4D 200 Tour offer), 97-102 sq in head, swingweight under 325, more than adequate for doubles {which I will probably find myself playing more of}, great touch at net but putaway power as well, 11-11.6 ounce racquet.

When I return I'll hopefully be a 4.0 baseliner, who will more than likely be making the transition to the net more often in order to protect my knee from extensive running, as well as playing a lot more doubles.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

TripleB

cluckcluck
11-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Try the Dunlop F 3.0 Tour, the thing is a beast but extremely easy to use.

MikeHitsHard93
11-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Hope you get better man!

smirker
11-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Due to having microfracture surgery after Thanksgiving, I'm going to be off the courts until June of 2013. I know what you're thinking, "He hasn't ever gone 7 months without trying a new racquet in his life!" You're probably right...I figure withdrawal symptoms will start hitting me in January!!!

Anyway, I realize that between now and then many new racquets are going to come onto the market and many of the racquets that are current now are going to drop to closeout prices.

So I thought I would see if I can get some opinions on several racquets I was thinking of demoing before my injury occured? I figure if they drop to rock bottom prices between now and June I might just take a chance on one of them.

Thanks for any input you can give on the following racquets:
1) Donnay XDual Gold 99
2) Donnay XDual Silver 99
3) Donnay X-P Dual Black 102
4) Dunlop Biomimetic F 3.0 Tour
5) Head YT IG Speed 300

I'm looking for a thin beamed, excellent control, very good spin potential, easy-on-the-arm, decent pop (more than my AG 4D 300, LM Rad MP, or AG 4D 200 Tour offer), 97-102 sq in head, swingweight under 325, more than adequate for doubles {which I will probably find myself playing more of}, great touch at net but putaway power as well, 11-11.6 ounce racquet.

When I return I'll hopefully be a 4.0 baseliner, who will more than likely be making the transition to the net more often in order to protect my knee from extensive running, as well as playing a lot more doubles.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

TripleB

Why not add the PK Ki5 315 to that list? Fits all your criteria. Playing with one myself and whilst finding it an adjustment from the PD, given more time we could become firm friends.

TripleB
11-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Why not add the PK Ki5 315 to that list?

I looked at that racquet but I think after I add headtape, my rubberband, and an overgrip, it will be a bit heavier than I want to use.

TripleB

SFrazeur
11-11-2012, 02:06 PM
You have a problem that has gone beyond ridiculous.

-SF

Roforot
11-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Hope you do well w rehabilitation. I think there are some exciting frames coming out like the steam 99s, apd update, and vcore xis... Don't know if it's worth buying a closeout frame now when you'll probably want to replace next summer anyway.

ollinger
11-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Frazeur has a point here. Take up chess, read up on the Civil War, do something other than look for racquets when you're out of commission for at least eight months. Buying a bargain racquet when you're not playing might lead you to do something foolish, like go hit with it when you're not medically ready.

IPlayTennisWithMyFeet
11-11-2012, 06:05 PM

Agreed. I made the switch already. Great stick.

TripleB
11-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Agreed. I made the switch already. Great stick.

Thanks for the input. How have you found the spin potential of this racquet to be? As much as I rely on spin, I'm always a little weary when looking at a 18x20 string pattern.

Hope you get better man!

Thank you!!! I know it's going to be a long road to get back on the courts (7+ months) but I'm ready for it!!! (at least I think I am)

TripleB

Sreeram
11-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Gold 99 is my current stick. Though I am still figuring out IG Rad Pro, Gold is currently my choice. It is different from any racquet I have played. Nothing can be even compared to it. Great control for the amount of Spin that it can provide. I can say for certain that this should be the best Spin + control racquet in market. I have weighed up this racquet and it still swings fast. It is for those with long fast loopy swings, not for flat hitters or compact swing.

danotje
11-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Not on your list, but I use a PK 7G. It fits all your criteria. You can also get it new at $120. That 16x20 pattern realy is the best of both worlds, too. Just a thought.