PDA

View Full Version : Prostaff 90 vs. 95

MikeHitsHard93
11-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Is the head size really that noticeable? How is the stability of the 95 compared to the 90?

Fuji
11-10-2012, 12:02 PM
It's noticeable for sure, to me at least. The 90 feels faster through the air, while the 95 feels like I could take down a wild bore and share it with the village. 95 is a beast, the 90 is a scalpel!

I find them both equally stable in the sweet spot, off centre I like the 95, it doesn't feel as shaky, even though we are splitting hairs at this point as the 90 is rock solid as well.

-Fuji

MikeHitsHard93
11-10-2012, 12:09 PM
It's noticeable for sure, to me at least. The 90 feels faster through the air, while the 95 feels like I could take down a wild bore and share it with the village. 95 is a beast, the 90 is a scalpel!

I find them both equally stable in the sweet spot, off centre I like the 95, it doesn't feel as shaky, even though we are splitting hairs at this point as the 90 is rock solid as well.

-Fuji

Lol I love your input Fuji. Animated, nonetheless! :D

I'm holding my pro open up to a 105sqinch racket and the difference is minuscule. I know I am capable of using a 95 and I am capable of wielding anything up to 335 sw. It would just be awesome to use the 90 haha. I've actually use it before in a demo, really love the feel. I didn't play a match though..

Fuji
11-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Lol I love your input Fuji. Animated, nonetheless! :D

I'm holding my pro open up to a 105sqinch racket and the difference is minuscule. I know I am capable of using a 95 and I am capable of wielding anything up to 335 sw. It would just be awesome to use the 90 haha. I've actually use it before in a demo, really love the feel. I didn't play a match though..

Haha! :D

Like head sizes aren't that different when held side by side, but the difference is in match play. Even now I'm finding 95 a touch on the small side. 98 is my real comfort zone for forgiveness. I'm definitely not good enough to play with a mid consistently. I do way too much brushing on my groundstrokes to really utilize the driving power mid's provide.

Definitely go for the 90 if you want. It's a collectors item regardless on of the PJ since Fed won't be around forever!

-Fuji

MikeHitsHard93
11-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Haha! :D

Like head sizes aren't that different when held side by side, but the difference is in match play. Even now I'm finding 95 a touch on the small side. 98 is my real comfort zone for forgiveness. I'm definitely not good enough to play with a mid consistently. I do way too much brushing on my groundstrokes to really utilize the driving power mid's provide.

Definitely go for the 90 if you want. It's a collectors item regardless on of the PJ since Fed won't be around forever!

-Fuji

Feds my favorite next to Roddick, however I couldn't handle the power of the PDR.

I think the 90 has a huge spin window because of its small frame. I am practicing not brushing so much and actually driving through the ball. Results in less frame shanks!!!

You can't go wrong with a Wilson 90 is what I've been told. Maybe it will be my fun stick for rallies with friends or just my singles stick..break out the pro open for match play and doubles...hmmmm. If I do go through with this, I will ask TW to find the lightest one they have :)

Fuji
11-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Feds my favorite next to Roddick, however I couldn't handle the power of the PDR.

I think the 90 has a huge spin window because of its small frame. I am practicing not brushing so much and actually driving through the ball. Results in less frame shanks!!!

You can't go wrong with a Wilson 90 is what I've been told. Maybe it will be my fun stick for rallies with friends or just my singles stick..break out the pro open for match play and doubles...hmmmm. If I do go through with this, I will ask TW to find the lightest one they have :)

Good choice! Yeah I brush a ton on my strokes so a mid just isn't the best choice for my game. Driving works great if you are on offence a lot, I play way too much defence for my own good haha.

90 is a sweet stick, I bring my out for fun rallies with lower level players a lot. Great stick for doubs from the sick touch it has at the net.

-Fuji

MikeHitsHard93
11-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Good choice! Yeah I brush a ton on my strokes so a mid just isn't the best choice for my game. Driving works great if you are on offence a lot, I play way too much defence for my own good haha.

90 is a sweet stick, I bring my out for fun rallies with lower level players a lot. Great stick for doubs from the sick touch it has at the net.

-Fuji

Yeah I remember when I demoed it, I was playing against one of my normal partners, and I was hitting drop shots and so many touch shots from all over the court. He took to liking the pd 2012, and I fought that onslaught off with ease with the 90. We only rallied, but I think I could get used to it for match play. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Fuji
11-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeah I remember when I demoed it, I was playing against one of my normal partners, and I was hitting drop shots and so many touch shots from all over the court. He took to liking the pd 2012, and I fought that onslaught off with ease with the 90. We only rallied, but I think I could get used to it for match play. I think it would be a lot of fun.

It's definitely a nice stick. For me I prefer denser patterns so the Prestige Mid is king for me, but the PS90 does just lend the ability to hit touch shots all day long! I found I got into the habit of flicking shots a bit too much with the 90 however. It makes it so easy to just flick a shot from the baseline when you should be hitting a heavier ball! :razz:

-Fuji

MikeHitsHard93
11-10-2012, 12:57 PM
That is very true. It is a VERY user friendly mid size also. That being said, my friend frames a lot of balls and thus he hated the racket lol. He picked up the pd and fell in love (go figure; I hated the thing) I told him to give me the fed racket and he was a little bit jealous because I could handle it and he couldn't LOL.

We tested the PD, PDR, instinct, and pro staff 90. I liked all of them except the PD. however, later on I realized that I couldn't tame the power of the pure drives. The instinct had INSANE spin. I was left in awe after the first hit. Overall my favorite was the 90, but I was discouraged because I didn't think I was good enough to use it still.

Mick3391
11-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Is the head size really that noticeable? How is the stability of the 95 compared to the 90?

I basically have both, BLX 90, and K-Factor 95. Although it seems like there is barely any difference, 5 square inches, I see a huge difference, especially in frantic hard play. The 95 seems much more maneuverable, more powerful, forgiving, I feel very secure with it. Also I don't see much difference in accuracy. I love the 90, don't misunderstand, but adore the 95!

Stability is the same for me, I mean yea the 90 is like a rock, but is that necessary?

K-Factor 95 is the best racquet I've ever played with, ever!

gplracer
11-21-2012, 06:20 PM

-Fuji

I love this quote. I have both and I agree. Do you think 95 has that much more power or is it the weight. What if I weighted the 90 the same as the 95?

lawlaw
11-22-2012, 04:53 AM
85 is the best racquet I have ever used. Nothing come close in my opinion. Have been playing with the 90 since 2002 and am now moving to the 95, begrudgingly.

The frames will have quite a bit of lead tape added, but I am feeling very optimistic about the change. (even if they do look like gigantic frying pans compared to the beauty that is the 85) ;)

Cnote
11-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Tried the 95 and it was okay. I would certainly have to add some lead tape to give it more stability and to increase the SW some. Had a chance to hit with the 90 and it was amazing. Wouldn't need any customization IMHO with this racquet. The head difference was not a factor at all.

Fuji
11-22-2012, 05:47 PM
I love this quote. I have both and I agree. Do you think 95 has that much more power or is it the weight. What if I weighted the 90 the same as the 95?

Haha!

Honestly I think the 95 just has that much more inherent power. That being said I haven't matched them in weight/SW/Balance to really see the true differences between them, but I have a feeling that it has to do with the 16x18 vs the 16x19 of the PS90. Just that touch more pop.

The 95 is stiffer as well, even though its only by a few RDC points, it's just enough to make a difference. (I'm not sure if it's because of my PS90 being a bit flexier than normal due to QC, or if my 6.1 95s are stiffer due to QC, or a combination of both.) But the 95 is just a more powerful stick from my vast experience with it.

-Fuji