PDA

View Full Version : Positive experiences with off-spec rackets?

HEADfamilydynasty
11-11-2012, 10:00 AM
So far all the rackets i've ordered are heavier in weight but only a few points off in swing weight. the balances are all spot on. To me i find this wonderful. Not only do i get a racket of my preferred weight, they only need minimum customization when its required.:twisted: For instance i got a Diablo Mid friday. it was already heavier than 12.2 ounces. i would say 12.6. I then replaced the syn. grip with a leather grip, and now it feels similar in weight to my speed pro and all i did was add a leather grip. :shock:

So who else has had positive experiences with QC issues.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-11-2012, 03:45 PM
I was matching my rackets, and one of them was obnoxiously head heavier than the other 2, and the other 2 were my preferred specs that I wanted to have a little extra weight on the head. Because of the heavier racket, I had to put more weight than I wanted.

I could've gone a different way and had 2 matched and one similar, but I want 3 matched rackets, and at this point I don't think I can tell much of a difference between the three, aside from maybe the grip.

PKfan1
11-11-2012, 04:43 PM
I bought two redondo mids at different times and different places and they were both 12.6 ounces strung and the swingweight feels the same. This was a pleasant surprise because I would have had to add weight otherwise. No customization needed ( I did weight one up to 13.2oz but have since brought it back to stock)

UCSF2012
11-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Makes no difference to me what the balance or weight differences are. My brain adjusts to all these differences. The only thing that matters is string age: fresh vs dead.

Chotobaka
11-11-2012, 06:16 PM
No issues. Currently using Pacific & Fischer Zero Tolerance racquets -- all weigh and balance exactly as promised. Prior to this my older Tecnifibre T-Flash's were all within very close tolerances, only one out of 12 sticks had more than 3-4 grams variance, with balance being equally accurate. Cannot say the same for other current racquets I have or have had.

tball
11-12-2012, 02:37 PM
My Head Prestige IG MP is supposed to be 320 g unstrung (printed on the factory label itself, in the throat), but it actually weighs 331 g strung. Cannot be unhappy about that.

But my real GEM is Volkl C10 Xtended. It is supposed to be 328g strung, but mine is 312 g strung, and it plays wonderfully like this. Probably the best racquet I've ever had.

sansaephanh
11-13-2012, 12:00 AM
So far all the rackets i've ordered are heavier in weight but only a few points off in swing weight. the balances are all spot on. To me i find this wonderful. Not only do i get a racket of my preferred weight, they only need minimum customization when its required.:twisted: For instance i got a Diablo Mid friday. it was already heavier than 12.2 ounces. i would say 12.6. I then replaced the syn. grip with a leather grip, and now it feels similar in weight to my speed pro and all i did was add a leather grip. :shock:

So who else has had positive experiences with QC issues.

Give me your review of the stick! I loved it, but it was just about half an oz too heavy for my arm. Long matches broke my spirit to swing it.

HEADfamilydynasty
11-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Give me your review of the stick! I loved it, but it was just about half an oz too heavy for my arm. Long matches broke my spirit to swing it.

Sure but it may be a long time from now as this is the last week courts are open and the weekend looks unfavorable at best.:evil: I may have to shell out some money for an indoor court.:mad:

NVM the weekend looks great. Low 50's and partialy cloudy.

HEADfamilydynasty
11-17-2012, 02:23 PM

Just got back from the courts today.
I have one thing to say that sums up my experience with the Diablo Tour mid... THIS THING IS F!@#ING AWESOME!!

I had been off the courts for three weeks prior, this being the third week, to this session.

My setup now is:
Racket-Prince Diablo Tour Mid
Strings- Babolat BT7 Vs Natural Thermogut 16 black mains with MSV Focus Hex 17L Red crosses 54/47lbs
Leather Replacement grip and 6 grams of lead at 3/9.

This was my first time using gut so i feel i should attribute some of the performance of the racket to the gut/poly setup. the first half of this playtest was done stock. Even in stock it was a monster. I instantly clicked with this unlike all my other rackets(minus the Revelation Tour Pro 95). The sweetspot was comparable to my brother's HEAD Mojo. The spin was there when i needed it and the defensive blocking power was the most i've ever had the pleasure of playing with. The control was astounding. I was hitting the T on serves with ease again for first time in a year. This complemented my game very well. Power, spin, and control on demand. Volleys need a little break in period as i'm used to volleying with a closed pattern and a tension in the low 60s. The slice was nasty it would go 1-2 ft over the net, drop and still skid and stay low. My 1h-backhand came alive again. I was hitting with pace, deep, and 90% of the time catching the line. I added the lead strictly to widen the sweetspot slightly, not that i really needed to.

Overall i am extremely pleased and have found a racket that works for all aspects of my game. I'll have to grab two or three more before they dissapear:wink:. Only thing i need to break in are the volleys as with the low tension they are a bit difficult to control.

sansaephanh
11-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Man that stick is sweet as hell... I would switch back if I could tear off an oz lol