PDA

View Full Version : Wilson 6.1 BLX 95 - APDGT - Youtek Radical MP...which one for me?

Jamelsh
11-11-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm an average club player and only started playing tennis as an adult, when it comes to my tennis equipment (as with most things) i'm a victim of marketing. My first racquet was an APDGT, i like to think i have grown into it and enjoyed the superb spin a full bed of poly gives me with this stick, that said i've always wondered if it is the best one for my playing style or just as importantly, the style i aspire to playing.
Curiousity and reading this forum made me want to try another racquet and so i recently bought a 6.1 BLX 95 and a Youtek Radical MP.
I expected a difference between these three rackets but was surprised just how huge that difference was, even in my hands!
You can see why all three are popular racquets and have their following, but my experience over the last couple of months using them has left me clear in one firm conclusion, reading reviews, watching marketing youtube clips and endless conversations with shop assistants will never be a substitute to actually picking up a variety of racquets and hitting them.

Lots of folk on these pages are very experienced in the sport, i guess this thread is to those like me who are not, dont be hoodwinked by the marketing or be tempted to chose a racquet based on anything other than how it feels in your hands.

I have decided to keep the Wilson because it suits my game and has improved it in so many ways almost over night. The fact is i'm now winning more games. That said, it doesn't mean its a better racquet than the other two for anyone else......

Power Player
11-11-2012, 12:11 PM
The 6.1 95 is a fantastic racquet. You will probably struggle with it after the honeymoon ends because it is a pretty hefty stick meant for people who play a ton of tennis. If so, check out the juice, the blade 98, the 6.1 team and the pro staff 95.

LeeD
11-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Liked the BLX 90 and 95's, but I know when I'm tired or off my game, it will punish me severely. A little more forgiveness is not a bad thing, for us out of shape players. Some people would say.."get in shape". Nah, too much trouble for a game like tennis.

Jamelsh
11-11-2012, 04:25 PM
The 6.1 95 is a fantastic racquet. You will probably struggle with it after the honeymoon ends because it is a pretty hefty stick meant for people who play a ton of tennis. If so, check out the juice, the blade 98, the 6.1 team and the pro staff 95.

General fitness hasn't been a problem for me, time will tell but i must say so far so good.
It doesnt feel heavy in my hand or to swing, i really like the finesse and accuracy it gives me along with the bonus that it doesn't hurt my elbow. That said it hasn't got poly in it yet.

parasailing
11-11-2012, 07:07 PM
It might not seem like much in weight difference but if you swing that racquet for two plus hours, you will feel it especially since you mentioned you don't play as much.

All three are good racquets with the APDGT offering the most power and probably the best racquet if you are starting off. The BLX 95 and Radical MP have less power that require better form and technique to use effectively.

If you are patient and willing to stick with it, the Wilson should suit you well.

Jamelsh
11-12-2012, 10:04 AM
It might not seem like much in weight difference but if you swing that racquet for two plus hours, you will feel it especially since you mentioned you don't play as much.

All three are good racquets with the APDGT offering the most power and probably the best racquet if you are starting off. The BLX 95 and Radical MP have less power that require better form and technique to use effectively.

If you are patient and willing to stick with it, the Wilson should suit you well.

Currently play 3 times a week and each session is approx 2 hours, as i say so far so good. I do appreciate that i'm still in the honeymoon period though!
What do you guys suggest to be a good poly or hybrid to maximise spin with the 6.1 but not have an adverse effect on comfort?

Power Player
11-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Is it a session or a match? Huge difference between how you play with a racquet during sets and how you play in rallys.

dreamneedle
11-12-2012, 04:31 PM
The Radical is too light and mushy.
Stick with the 95, get a second frame with similar specs and have fun!

watungga
11-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Liked the BLX 90 and 95's, but I know when I'm tired or off my game, it will punish me severely. A little more forgiveness is not a bad thing, for us out of shape players. Some people would say.."get in shape". Nah, too much trouble for a game like tennis.

Leed, what could be the possible difference if we play BLX pro-staff 100 ? Will it be forgiving when we're tired? I like the amplifeel of both 90 and 95. Now I'm thinking I might like the 100. Not bad?