PDA

View Full Version : Two Handed Backhand Grip

dhdriver
11-11-2012, 07:52 PM
So I recently started gripping my two handed backhand with a bigger gap between both hands.

I started positioning my hands similar to David Ferrer in this picture:
http://images.supersport.com/David-Ferrer-Backhand-110416G300.jpg

However, I notice a lot of people and pros position their hands similar to Novak in this picture:
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2012/01/25/1226253/866269-120125-novak-djokovic.jpg

So I was wondering what the differences are between the ways people position their hands for two handed backhands. I don't know why I started separating my hands more but I ended up getting used to it and can't go back to having my hands close together.

TennisA
11-11-2012, 08:10 PM
I use a 1HB now, so my analysis might not be the best, but...

From what I know, most modern 2HB are pretty much your non-dominant arm's forehand + your dominant hand just sitting there for control. Further up the handle you go, the harder it is to hit that non-dominant forehand.

I'd also say it's a control thing. Easier to control a racket when your hands are closer together than further a part.

WildVolley
11-11-2012, 09:39 PM
I would not model my 2hbh on Ferrer. Not only does he hit with a wide separation between the hands, but also he bends both arms a fair amount at contact. It works for him, but I see it as a more defensive control shot.

Separating the hands may allow last second adjustments to the racket face but it is a method of choking up on the racket and therefore makes the racket shorter. If you are weak this may give more control, but it comes at the cost of racket head speed.

You can go back to having your hands together if you want, but you'll have a transition period to adjust to the older technique.

VeeSe
11-11-2012, 09:46 PM
You should keep your hands together for sure. It's much harder to control the racquet with your hands separated.

dhdriver
11-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Oh thanks for all the responses! I'll try my best to keep my hands together.

You guys are amazing. I have realized a lost in racquet head speed after I thought about it.

Once again, thanks for the help!

mikeler
11-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Ferrer really has a huge separation with his hands but he also uses an extended length racket. I keep my hands a little more separated than Novak but not by much.

LeeD
11-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Either works just fine.
2hbh's are swung with less swing speed than forehands, so a slight spread won't hurt that much, but the added control and last minute change of direction might be a plus.
Remember, most top 2hbh's are closer to old school forehands than modern forehands.

LeeD
11-12-2012, 10:18 AM
To add.
Modern 2hbh's are hit with neutral or closed stances. Most have shorter loops than modern forehands, almost like old school forehands.
And stroke is shorter with both hands on the racket.

dhdriver
11-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks LeeD!

I have another question: What does it mean to have a compact backhand?

Ash_Smith
11-12-2012, 01:41 PM
^^^compact backhand = see Marat Safin!

dhdriver
11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Ash Smith... I get a lot of "Go watch Safin" posts... I guess I just gotta watch more videos of him!

Ash_Smith
11-12-2012, 02:42 PM
^^^ haha! for me he is the model of a compact 2 hander (and IMO the best 2 hander full stop)

dhdriver
11-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Haha Safin is my favorite past player so I guess it makes sense for me to watch how he hits that beautiful backhand. Thanks for the suggestion!

LeeD
11-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Marat is 6'3" +, and unless you're that tall, maybe a different style, technque, and grip is called for.
Plus, currently, you face many more Nadal clones than in the early '90's.
Meaning, you will have to learn to handle higher bouncing balls, now more than ever before.

pvaudio
11-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Ferrer's grip is consistently stated as a bad habit he never broke and has adapted to. Don't use it.

PhrygianDominant
11-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Look at the things Agassi, Djokovic, Nalbandian, and Tipsarevic ALL do, not just the things that one of them does. Even if you think he's the best. I suggest a non dominant SW and a Dominant strong continental (something close to your serve grip/volley grip), a small compact loop, and an over the shoulder finish.

also read this:
http://www.tennisplayer.net/public/avancedtennis/two_handed_backhand/2hd_bh_simplest_complex/Copy%20of%202hd_bh_simplest_complex.html

dhdriver
11-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Look at the things Agassi, Djokovic, Nalbandian, and Tipsarevic ALL do, not just the things that one of them does. Even if you think he's the best. I suggest a non dominant SW and a Dominant strong continental (something close to your serve grip/volley grip), a small compact loop, and an over the shoulder finish.

also read this:
http://www.tennisplayer.net/public/avancedtennis/two_handed_backhand/2hd_bh_simplest_complex/Copy%20of%202hd_bh_simplest_complex.html

Oh man so much to absorb... thanks for the info!

I read about Agassi's backhand and I wasn't sure what people meant but your link definitely clarifies a lot of things. Thanks!

DavaiMarat
11-14-2012, 11:57 AM
This Is a topic I've studied for a long time. I also am I fan of Marat Safin but I'm with LeeD in the respect that Safin has extremely long levers. He can create extreme leverage with a easy swing, ( his arms are probably longer then most people's legs). That said, there are aspects of his swing you can adopt like his body turn and weight transfer.

In my opinion, you have to take in consideration the type of racquet you are using. david uses a very powerful frame, he can afford the loss in leverage by gripping high and low. Your prestige mid will require a fast long swing so you'll be better off gripping at the bottom. You also be able to whip the frame through the contact zone by making both wrists one pivot point rather then two.

What I recommend for you is this. Lead the crap out of your prestige mid at 12. As much as you can handle on your forehand. (2hbh you can wield much more the your forehand). You'll be able to hit harder and generate more with a smaller compact loop.

My tgk237.1 are made to Safins spec. It's a 33 balance 360sw 350g beast. It crushes the backhand even high in the contact zone. Try it, you won't be sorry. Just make sure you can still generate racquet speed on the forehand.

mikeler
11-14-2012, 12:24 PM
This Is a topic I've studied for a long time. I also am I fan of Marat Safin but I'm with LeeD in the respect that Safin has extremely long levers. He can create extreme leverage with a easy swing, ( his arms are probably longer then most people's legs). That said, there are aspects of his swing you can adopt like his body turn and weight transfer.

In my opinion, you have to take in consideration the type of racquet you are using. david uses a very powerful frame, he can afford the loss in leverage by gripping high and low. Your prestige mid will require a fast long swing so you'll be better off gripping at the bottom. You also be able to whip the frame through the contact zone by making both wrists one pivot point rather then two.

What I recommend for you is this. Lead the crap out of your prestige mid at 12. As much as you can handle on your forehand. (2hbh you can wield much more the your forehand). You'll be able to hit harder and generate more with a smaller compact loop.

My tgk237.1 are made to Safins spec. It's a 33 balance 360sw 350g beast. It crushes the backhand even high in the contact zone. Try it, you won't be sorry. Just make sure you can still generate racquet speed on the forehand.

David Ferrer uses the Exo Tour which is a very flexible control oriented frame in stock form. It does not have very much power in stock but who knows what mods he uses like extended length, lead etc.

dhdriver
11-14-2012, 02:45 PM

Hey thanks for the response!

I haven't started leading my racquet that much yet but I will soon. I don't know how much I will add but I am not someone who would counterbalance just because I don't have access to a balance board and stuff.

But I may add some lead though since I've been wanting to make my prestige mids a bit more hefty. I currently have 2 grams total with 4 inches of .25 inch strips of lead at 3 and 9. So maybe I'll try out having some lead at 12 and going from there.

I'll see how it goes when I play again!