PDA

View Full Version : Basalt Wars: A New Hope

Pages : [1] 2 3

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 09:22 AM
After years of faithful service, and countless battles Jollikin Skywalker plots his betrayal. Unfulfilled promises of the false prophet Basalt Gods have lead him to dire peril.
Supply lines have become stretched too thin to sustain, and the empire's continued shipments of substandard weaponry have made the battle tested mercenary unable to wage large scale battle.

The embers of betrayal are being fanned to flame as Darth Jolly begins to survey blueprints of rebel weaponry. He sends an encoded transmission to the famed smuggler Tom Solo, and confides in his most loyal allies; Joel Joel Binks, Denni Wan Kenobi, Pickle 3PO, VS Babafett, and AliD2.

A tale of love, loss, and Karophite.

J

mmk
11-13-2012, 10:08 AM
So are you Michael Arndt?

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 10:15 AM
So are you Michael Arndt?

I'm Rick James @$#$!

J

zapvor
11-13-2012, 10:46 AM
wow you are really back

nyc
11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the Innegra side, Jollikin.

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
wow you are really back

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

J

maggmaster
11-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Are you still playing a lot? Does this mean the clubs are being retired?

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the Innegra side, Jollikin.

As honorary chairman of the welcoming committee, it's my privilege to present a laurel and hearty handshake to our new... Innegra.

J

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Are you still playing a lot? Does this mean the clubs are being retired?

Yea, playing the same as ever. All my k90s broke, and I got 3 new ones. The blxps cave in almost instantly, so I've got to switch to something else.

J

Timbo's hopeless slice
11-13-2012, 01:16 PM
let your anger make you strong, yes!

Dunlops? or the Prestiges are as good as ever...

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 01:29 PM
let your anger make you strong, yes!

Dunlops? or the Prestiges are as good as ever...

The Dunlops which I have tried felt really flimsy to me, and I need something with an 18x20 pattern, so the 100 is out.

I REALLY liked the IG Prestige (and gave it a glowing review) so my plan is to get one of them in the next week or so and start tinkering with strings and tensions and weights (oh my!).

I am open to other things, but it has to be a small(ish) head, somewhat stiff (stiffer the better), and 18x20 pattern.

J

sargeinaz
11-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Head IG prestige or yonex vcore 89 would be my suggestions. Good luck.

Timbo's hopeless slice
11-13-2012, 02:03 PM
The Dunlops which I have tried felt really flimsy to me, and I need something with an 18x20 pattern, so the 100 is out.

I REALLY liked the IG Prestige (and gave it a glowing review) so my plan is to get one of them in the next week or so and start tinkering with strings and tensions and weights (oh my!).

I am open to other things, but it has to be a small(ish) head, somewhat stiff (stiffer the better), and 18x20 pattern.

J

I would give the regular bio 200 a hit, just so you get a fair example of a good dunlop (there are other models I don't like at all), but I do think the IG prestige will be fine.

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Head IG prestige or yonex vcore 89 would be my suggestions. Good luck.

Hmmm... Never considered the Yonex.

Just looking at the thing it seems like it would be lame to serve with.

Maybe I am just making things up?

I'll have to give it a ride if given the opportunity.

J

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 02:13 PM
I would give the regular bio 200 a hit, just so you get a fair example of a good dunlop (there are other models I don't like at all), but I do think the IG prestige will be fine.

The last Dunlop I actually liked was the Mfil 200.

I thought it did everything OK, but wasn't outstanding in any area. But I could have easily played with it, the N90 was just a little better at everything so I chose the Wilson. I did consider the Dunlop on the merits of lower cost though.

J

stringertom
11-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Hmmm... Never considered the Yonex.

Just looking at the thing it seems like it would be lame to serve with.

Maybe I am just making things up?

I'll have to give it a ride if given the opportunity.

J

It's a 16M though. I just started hitting again with its grandfather, the RD Ti70 with a fairly ordinary syn gut. Still a classic and it's 18x20.

power level 800
11-13-2012, 02:32 PM
So you're giving up on Wilson? :(
..but the Wilson BLX six.one 18x20 sounds exactly what you're looking for. closed string pattern, good enough plow-thru and perfect stiffness at 65. one last chance? http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCLvhJGnrUZKDPRLjsjZPQ6gZrPKoj3 2e2S8EXNkg8mn_g359HgD49WQDMqw

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 02:40 PM
So you're giving up on Wilson? :(
..but the Wilson BLX six.one 18x20 sounds exactly what you're looking for. closed string pattern, good enough plow-thru and perfect stiffness at 65. one last chance?

Might be worth a demo, but I am really turned off by Wilson now, and have heard tell of the oval beam frames caving too.

I mean, I went through 17 N90s, and 23 K90s. And they all lasted YEARS, and these new ones are caving in under a month of mostly playing doubles?

Really?

J

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 02:40 PM
It's a 16M though. I just started hitting again with its grandfather, the RD Ti70 with a fairly ordinary syn gut. Still a classic and it's 18x20.

Yea, I need something current though, because once spring rolls around I will need at minimum 6 frames.

J

rdis10093
11-13-2012, 02:44 PM
from abuse or just lots of string jobs?

power level 800
11-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Might be worth a demo, but I am really turned off by Wilson now, and have heard tell of the oval beam frames caving too.

I mean, I went through 17 N90s, and 23 K90s. And they all lasted YEARS, and these new ones are caving in under a month of mostly playing doubles?

Really?

J

ouch.. fair enough. what about a Prokennex frame? They have the same shape grip as a Wilson!

robby c
11-13-2012, 02:45 PM
25th Annv.Prestige has great colors for any Jedi Pirate.
Robby C

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 02:54 PM
from abuse or just lots of string jobs?

My K90s were fine for years, until I switched to Kevlar mains/ALU crosses, and then they started to cave in.

So I assumed that it was the Kevlar mains which instead of stretching like a normal string transmitted all of the shock to the frame, and caused them to pack it in.

It seems as though the new ones are just garbage. One started to cave after the very first Kevlar stringjob, so I switched to BBO/ALU and they start to give it up after just a few stringjobs, even stringing at 50lbs.

It isn't just my frames either, I've seen multiple others.

J

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 02:55 PM
25th Annv.Prestige has great colors for any Jedi Pirate.
Robby C

Sexy as hell, but only midplus.

:(

J

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 02:55 PM
ouch.. fair enough. what about a Prokennex frame? They have the same shape grip as a Wilson!

Haven't heard much good about the black 93.

J

KFwinds
11-13-2012, 03:01 PM
BLX Blade Tour? 93 head, 18x20, etc...

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 03:04 PM
BLX Blade Tour? 93 head, 18x20, etc...

Still bitter over the KBT, possibly the worst "players" frame ever to be held in my hands.

I believe my summary was "Gutless tinker-toy"

J

power level 800
11-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Haven't heard much good about the black 93.

J

yes, just a tad to light and too flexy.

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 03:13 PM
yes, just a tad to light and too flexy.

Well... Light I can fix, but flexy is to the bone.

:)

J

KFwinds
11-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Still bitter over the KBT, possibly the worst "players" frame ever to be held in my hands.

I believe my summary was "Gutless tinker-toy"

J

The BLX version is a completely different animal. Also, I just hit with the new Blade 93 coming out this month and I can tell you that it is anything but a "gutless tinker-toy". Worth a demo.

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 03:25 PM
The BLX version is a completely different animal. Also, I just hit with the new Blade 93 coming out this month and I can tell you that it is anything but a "gutless tinker-toy". Worth a demo.

Ok, I will snag one!

It is still 18x20 right?

J

NLBwell
11-13-2012, 03:55 PM
After He sends an encoded transmission
J

That would be an Ncoded transmission.

NLBwell
11-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Just buy out all the ProStaff 6.0 85's. I played with kevlar in my one racket (a SV) for over 20 years until it broke. With the small head the string pattern is dense enough.

No real pirate would be caught dead with a sissy large-head racket like a K90.

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 04:03 PM
That would be an Ncoded transmission.

Ha! Excellent!

J

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Just buy out all the ProStaff 6.0 85's. I played with kevlar in my one racket (a SV) for over 20 years until it broke. With the small head the string pattern is dense enough.

No real pirate would be caught dead with a sissy large-head racket like a K90.

I thought of buying one of the new ones to try, the price is certainly right, but the pattern is about as open as the 90s and I can't keep string in them.

I don't think the new 85s have the same fortitude as the ones of old, and doubt that they will hold up as well as even the K90s to Kevlar.

I have a bumperless SV, and a Chicago in near mint condition, but they are relics of a bygone era, not fit for combat duty.

J

Chotobaka
11-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Grab a Pacific X-Feel Pro 90 Vacuum and report back.

Pickle9
11-13-2012, 08:33 PM
http://anotherplotdevice.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/spaceballs1.jpg

KFwinds
11-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Ok, I will snag one!

It is still 18x20 right?

J

Yep! Still 18x20... :)

Fuji
11-13-2012, 09:13 PM
It's too bad the Yonex RDiS mid wasn't around anymore. That thing would be right up your alley spec wise!

I'm glad to see you back Jolly!

-Fuji

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Grab a Pacific X-Feel Pro 90 Vacuum and report back.

I'd love to hit one for the heck of it, but looks to flexy to take a chance on buying unless bargain price used one.

J

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 09:17 PM
It's too bad the Yonex RDiS mid wasn't around anymore. That thing would be right up your alley spec wise!

I'm glad to see you back Jolly!

-Fuji

Never hit with a Yonex in my life.

They just aren't popular on the East coast so I've not had the opportunity.

J

J011yroger
11-13-2012, 09:32 PM
http://anotherplotdevice.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/spaceballs1.jpg

"You are unwise to lower your defenses!"

J

roundiesee
11-13-2012, 10:08 PM
So... after all these years, you are ditching Wilson for Head?? Say it an't so....... :(

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 03:27 AM
So... after all these years, you are ditching Wilson for Head?? Say it an't so....... :(

I'm afraid that I have deemed them unworthy of my continued patronage.

I'd love to still play with them, all the racquets were awesome up until now.

But I can't keep string in them, and they keep breaking. I can't play with frames that are compromised after 3 stringjobs, and unusable after 6+, and then send them back, wait for replacements, pay to have the replacements re-customized. Only to go through the process again and again.

If they said "Look, something went wrong with the molds, and we are trying to fix it." I would hold down the fort and hope the 2013 line was better (If any of you remember how there were early and late model Ncodes where the first run had a silver spec label, and the second run had the black label). But the Wilson rep has said flat out "Yea, they all break, but it is cheaper to just replace the ones that break by warranty than to figure out what is wrong, and make the frames good." Why should I stand by a company like that?

And then to read about all this research on spin effect, and their dog and pony show that gets trotted around the country to show how great their research is? Give me a break. Make the racquets you have good. Even to look at the new ones and the POS bumper sets they have. How much more could the good bumper sets cost? Hell, everything gets more expensive as the years roll on, charge $5 more for the frame, and don't cheap out on the bumpers.

In my opinion.

Head. I>LM>MG trending down. MG<YT<IG Trending up.

Wilson. T90<N90<K90 Trending up. K90>B90>P90 Trending down.

The BLXPS is the worst of all the tour 90s. The IG Prestige is the best of all the post year 2000 Prestiges.

J

000KFACTOR90000
11-14-2012, 04:50 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Pro_Staff_60_85/descpageRCWILSON-W6085.html

PS85 not an option?

Big fan of the prestige mids but wonder if you've considered the ps85's on sale?

Pickle9
11-14-2012, 05:20 AM
i'm going to upgrade my yt prestige pro....by replacing the grommets with the ig ones.

the clear grommets have the appeal of a shiny new toy on christmas morning.

roundiesee
11-14-2012, 05:20 AM
I'm afraid that I have deemed them unworthy of my continued patronage.

I'd love to still play with them, all the racquets were awesome up until now.

But I can't keep string in them, and they keep breaking. I can't play with frames that are compromised after 3 stringjobs, and unusable after 6+, and then send them back, wait for replacements, pay to have the replacements re-customized. Only to go through the process again and again.

If they said "Look, something went wrong with the molds, and we are trying to fix it." I would hold down the fort and hope the 2013 line was better (If any of you remember how there were early and late model Ncodes where the first run had a silver spec label, and the second run had the black label). But the Wilson rep has said flat out "Yea, they all break, but it is cheaper to just replace the ones that break by warranty than to figure out what is wrong, and make the frames good." Why should I stand by a company like that?

And then to read about all this research on spin effect, and their dog and pony show that gets trotted around the country to show how great their research is? Give me a break. Make the racquets you have good. Even to look at the new ones and the POS bumper sets they have. How much more could the good bumper sets cost? Hell, everything gets more expensive as the years roll on, charge $5 more for the frame, and don't cheap out on the bumpers.

In my opinion.

Head. I>LM>MG trending down. MG<YT<IG Trending up.

Wilson. T90<N90<K90 Trending up. K90>B90>P90 Trending down.

The BLXPS is the worst of all the tour 90s. The IG Prestige is the best of all the post year 2000 Prestiges.

J

Wow Jolly, so sorry to hear this sad story. Anyway, good luck to you and hope you find the new sticks to your liking! :) Please keep us posted of your exploits with the new rackets! :)

Fuji
11-14-2012, 05:32 AM
On a side note, I'd love to see you hit with the new 16x15 Steam. I doubt that string bed would last you 30 minutes! :lol:

-Fuji

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 05:53 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Pro_Staff_60_85/descpageRCWILSON-W6085.html

PS85 not an option?

Big fan of the prestige mids but wonder if you've considered the ps85's on sale?

I thought about it, but don't think they are the 85s of old, and doubt they would hold up to Kevlar. With the pattern as open as my 90s, I would break poly too fast in them.

J

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 05:56 AM
i'm going to upgrade my yt prestige pro....by replacing the grommets with the ig ones.

the clear grommets have the appeal of a shiny new toy on christmas morning.

Upgrading the shields on your battle cruiser to better withstand imperial torpedo hits!

Genius!

J

tistrapukcipeht
11-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Are you a tournament player??

Breaking racquets and strings like this is hard to believe.

I haven't played with the yonex 89 tour , but I know a couple of people who do, so I'd look into that, Yonex quality is very very good.

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Wow Jolly, so sorry to hear this sad story. Anyway, good luck to you and hope you find the new sticks to your liking! :) Please keep us posted of your exploits with the new rackets! :)

Will do. I've been healthy for a year+, so ready to give tournaments another shot.

Last thing yet to come around is my serve, but whatever.

Thanks for the well wishes.

J

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 06:04 AM
On a side note, I'd love to see you hit with the new 16x15 Steam. I doubt that string bed would last you 30 minutes! :lol:

-Fuji

I really want to for the heck of it. Currently break ALU in 45mins to an hour in my 90s.

J

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 06:22 AM
Are you a tournament player??

Breaking racquets and strings like this is hard to believe.

I haven't played with the yonex 89 tour , but I know a couple of people who do, so I'd look into that, Yonex quality is very very good.

Yea, I am kind of a cross between the guy who is perpetually injured, and the guy who is his own worst enemy.

Feels like at the ripe old age of 30 I am starting to outgrow both of those things, so looking to play some tournaments again.

J

Power Player
11-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Prestige Mid, YY 89, Wilson Blade Tour or bust baby. That's about all you got. But the Head grip shape won't have the magical. "Honey, I'm home" feel of the Wilson. The Yonex 89 is considered the Mid of the year by most who have used it, but it sounds like you are not feeling the brand. The Blades are coming out with a GoaTJob in terms of paint, so let me be the first to congratulate you on switching to the new Blade Tour.

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Prestige Mid, YY 89, Wilson Blade Tour or bust baby. That's about all you got. But the Head grip shape won't have the magical. "Honey, I'm home" feel of the Wilson. The Yonex 89 is considered the Mid of the year by most who have used it, but it sounds like you are not feeling the brand. The Blades are coming out with a GoaTJob in terms of paint, so let me be the first to congratulate you on switching to the new Blade Tour.

I know the ground strokes won't really be a problem with the head grip shape since I float from continental to full western anyway. If it really bothers me on serves and/or volleys I will have to put Wilson pallets on.

J

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Oh, and that reminds me, one more thing about the blxps, all my mother*#%@*?$ buttcaps loosened up, which is maddening!

J

klementine
11-14-2012, 07:26 AM
This is alarming. Prince 03 blue and call it a day... :smile:

Do you think the frames are buckling due to the weight coupled with the string tension? You did mention a PS90 busting at low tensions, but was this on the stringer or after play?

I remember you played with some pretty heavy k90's and some ridiculously high tension hybrid of kevlar/alu. Have you ever had any shoulder or wrist problems? or tried playing with something lighter with a high swingweight, HH balance and loose poly, ala Ferrer?

I'm really enjoying the PS90 thus far, it's a crisper n90. But that quote from the wilson rep is a bit troubling, 'replace the ones that broke under warranty'. Their business model, in regards to warranty replacement, is a crap-shoot for the consumer. Terrible.

klementine
11-14-2012, 07:38 AM
To clarify.

It's a crap-shoot for the consumer because they realize that there is flaw and instead of fixing that potential flaw, they gamble on the warranty expiring.

Terrible.

rdis10093
11-14-2012, 07:38 AM
give yonex a try. they are the best.

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 07:57 AM
This is alarming. Prince 03 blue and call it a day... :smile:

Do you think the frames are buckling due to the weight coupled with the string tension? You did mention a PS90 busting at low tensions, but was this on the stringer or after play?

I remember you played with some pretty heavy k90's and some ridiculously high tension hybrid of kevlar/alu. Have you ever had any shoulder or wrist problems? or tried playing with something lighter with a high swingweight, HH balance and loose poly, ala Ferrer?

I'm really enjoying the PS90 thus far, it's a crisper n90. But that quote from the wilson rep is a bit troubling, 'replace the ones that broke under warranty'. Their business model, in regards to warranty replacement, is a crap-shoot for the consumer. Terrible.

I broke 2 stock weight ones under kevlar. Been playing my normal nodded ones with full poly Bbo/alur at 50# to try to give the frames a fighting chance.

J

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 07:59 AM
To clarify.

It's a crap-shoot for the consumer because they realize that there is flaw and instead of fixing that potential flaw, they gamble on the warranty expiring.

Terrible.

I was not happy to hear that. Big part of the reason I am so turned off.

J

klementine
11-14-2012, 08:16 AM
^The more I play with the PS90 (brief stint with the K90), the more I realize that no other frame shares the 90s prowess on serve and up at net. Nothing plays like them, which I'm sure you know already. It would be very difficult, if not impossible to suggest anything.

If you're 'bent' (excuse the pun) on leaving them, you'll have to get used to a completely different set-up. You'll have to adapt and move on.

Quite sad really.

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 08:59 AM
^The more I play with the PS90 (brief stint with the K90), the more I realize that no other frame shares the 90s prowess on serve and up at net. Nothing plays like them, which I'm sure you know already. It would be very difficult, if not impossible to suggest anything.

If you're 'bent' (excuse the pun) on leaving them, you'll have to get used to a completely different set-up. You'll have to adapt and move on.

Quite sad really.

Yea, I mean since 2005 I've bought what, 60+ Wilson frames, 20+ bags, and who knows how many thousand Luxilon stringjobs.

J

Power Player
11-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Great point by Klem as you will have one of the tightest patterns ever in the Prestige and may not like the same string setup in it anyway.

Pickle9
11-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Yea, I mean since 2005 I've bought what, 60+ Wilson frames, 20+ bags, and who knows how many thousand Luxilon stringjobs.

J

You single-handedly put your stringer's kids through Ivy League colleges.

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Great point by Klem as you will have one of the tightest patterns ever in the Prestige and may not like the same string setup in it anyway.

Yea, I anticipate having to string it really loose to get a similar launch angle to my Wilsons.

As much as Kevlar loves to be strung tight, BBO loves to be strung loose.

J

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 09:47 AM
You single-handedly put your stringer's kids through Ivy League colleges.

Or at least covered their bar tab.

J

Power Player
11-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Yea, I anticipate having to string it really loose to get a similar launch angle to my Wilsons.

As much as Kevlar loves to be strung tight, BBO loves to be strung loose.

J

Full bed of 4g in the Willy before you toss it aside?

Fed Kennedy
11-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Jolly you should try the vcore 95...its stiff and the head is just as narrow as a k90...it will take high tensions well.

SVP
11-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Yea, playing the same as ever. All my k90s broke, and I got 3 new ones. The blxps cave in almost instantly, so I've got to switch to something else.

J I always enjoyed watching your videos, hitting with your K90, nailing the sweetspot almost every time. No sarcasm. That racquet had the sweetspot the size of a Louisville Slugger's sweetspot. Glad to have you back.

sansaephanh
11-14-2012, 12:44 PM
I always enjoyed watching your videos, hitting with your K90, nailing the sweetspot almost every time. No sarcasm. That racquet had the sweetspot the size of a Louisville Slugger's sweetspot. Glad to have you back.

Post links nao! I always enjoy watching people hit! I'd love to get a feel for how some of these members hit so I can more accurately assess their reviews. I'm really surprised there aren't more video reviews.

SVP
11-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Post links nao! I always enjoy watching people hit! I'd love to get a feel for how some of these members hit so I can more accurately assess their reviews. I'm really surprised there aren't more video reviews. Because I was born in the same decade that Eisenhower was president, I am unable to post Jolly's link. I recall it was on vimeo. Is that still around?
SSPH, you're the guy who likes BHBR, right? Me too.
The reason there aren't more video reviews is that we're all too self-conscious about our skills.

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Full bed of 4g in the Willy before you toss it aside?

Meh, the frames will cave anyway. I haven't been impressed with any of the new Luxilon string, but I'd give it a shot I suppose.

J

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 01:08 PM
I always enjoyed watching your videos, hitting with your K90, nailing the sweetspot almost every time. No sarcasm. That racquet had the sweetspot the size of a Louisville Slugger's sweetspot. Glad to have you back.

Thanks, hope to get some new footage of the process of tinkering with the new frame.

J

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Post links nao! I always enjoy watching people hit! I'd love to get a feel for how some of these members hit so I can more accurately assess their reviews. I'm really surprised there aren't more video reviews.

I'll have to get some new footage, haven't taken any in a couple years. Would love to see how my fh looks now.

J

db10s
11-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Maybe solinco revolution.... Or Dunlop Ice....

db10s
11-14-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't care how old the footage is...

SVP
11-14-2012, 01:31 PM
I'll have to get some new footage, haven't taken any in a couple years. Would love to see how my fh looks now.

JCan we resurrect the Jolly Guide to Strings?

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Can we resurrect the Jolly Guide to Strings?

Certainly don't need my permission.

I was pretty happy with how it came out, too bad it got un-stickied.

J

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 02:21 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/558963_10150640481801611_2038155862_n.jpg

Trying to do the Berdych shirt proud...

J

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Maybe solinco revolution.... Or Dunlop Ice....

Why do you suggest them?

J

2ManyAces
11-14-2012, 02:36 PM
J011y, can I have the link to the vid? Thanks

db10s
11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Why do you suggest them?

J

Dunlop because of the price.... I hit with it and it plays just like Alu Rough... And the Solinco, not sure, seems like you would like it though.

db10s
11-14-2012, 02:43 PM

I looked through Jolly's posts but the videos that he posted were all private

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Dunlop because of the price.... I hit with it and it plays just like Alu Rough... And the Solinco, not sure, seems like you would like it though.

Would have to be something that bites a ton, and lasts longer than BBO.

I break most normal poly in 45min-1 hour of full speed drilling.

Re: Solinco, I have absolutely hated with a passion every Solinco string I have ever had forced upon me. It feels ok when you are warming up or hitting half court, but once you actually swing at the ball it does absolutely nothing.

J

J011yroger
11-14-2012, 02:47 PM

Haven't taken any in a couple of years, will see what I can do in the coming weeks.

J

db10s
11-14-2012, 03:17 PM

Re: Solinco, I have absolutely hated with a passion every Solinco string I have ever had forced upon me. It feels ok when you are warming up or hitting half court, but once you actually swing at the ball it does absolutely nothing.

J

If you want an idea of how it plays, think of Alu Rough that maintains tension. Similar durability. Much cheaper.

Pickle9
11-14-2012, 05:39 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/558963_10150640481801611_2038155862_n.jpg

Trying to do the Berdych shirt proud...

J

La la lala!

2ManyAces
11-14-2012, 07:24 PM

J

:cry: that's scary

Fuji
11-14-2012, 07:30 PM

J

I only know one guy who breaks strings as fast as you, and he's using ALU Rough in a IG Prestige Mid. He says nothing compares to that feel for him. I have a feeling you guys would be good friends! :razz:

That being said, are you not going to be using the Jolly Rig in the Prestige's? I might have missed it...

-Fuji

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 03:03 AM
I only know one guy who breaks strings as fast as you, and he's using ALU Rough in a IG Prestige Mid. He says nothing compares to that feel for him. I have a feeling you guys would be good friends! :razz:

That being said, are you not going to be using the Jolly Rig in the Prestige's? I might have missed it...

-Fuji

ALU, (rough or smooth) is in my opinion the gold standard for poly. Everything else is a pale imitation.

BBO, really grew on me once I figured out that I was stringing it too tight.

I think I am going to use the Jolly Rig II (BBO/ALUr) in the prestiges, as I doubt they would hold up to Kevlar.

I had debated switching to the prestige instead of the BLXPS, because the BLXPS felt like absolute garbage when strung with the kevlar (perfectly fine with poly however) and my stringer said "You break K90s, and nobody breaks K90s. Everybody breaks prestiges..."

J

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 03:04 AM
La la lala!

It's always a good time!

J

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 03:08 AM
:cry: that's scary

This was the weekend that pushed me to Kevlar.

http://i46.tinypic.com/25k323p.jpg

J

db10s
11-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Why don't you string your own frames?
In a match I can break 17g poly in 1.5 hours.... If I'm really on my game....

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 04:03 AM
Why don't you string your own frames?
In a match I can break 17g poly in 1.5 hours.... If I'm really on my game....

It's not worth it to me. I can make more doing something else with the time I would spend stringing than I pay.

J

T.P3D0R
11-15-2012, 04:24 AM
Are the racquets breaking from excessive stringing, or from brutal playing/racquet smashing.

Just curious...if it's from stringing - you could have a talk with your stringer...

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Are the racquets breaking from excessive stringing, or from brutal playing/racquet smashing.

Just curious...if it's from stringing - you could have a talk with your stringer...

They just caved in between the drill holes. Mostly at 12 oclock.

No abuse at all.

rdis10093
11-15-2012, 06:15 AM
there are other guys on here that know more about strings, but is that bad for frames is you just leave the broken strings in them and dont cut them out. I thought that caused uneven tension and could warp racquets. that might be killing the life of your racquets a little early.

T.P3D0R
11-15-2012, 06:59 AM
They just caved in between the drill holes. Mostly at 12 oclock.

No abuse at all.

That's crazy... I'd have a talk with your stringer. I used to play with the 2010 BLX 95s and strung them (myself) very frequently, but never had any issue with caving. Primary issues included the PJs getting scratched up very easily.

Also, when I broke polys, I clipped all of the strings right after the break to relieve stress on the frame.

nyc
11-15-2012, 07:05 AM
I may be stating the obvious here, but perhaps breakage has something to do with the fact that you're stringing 10 pounds over recommended tension range.

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 07:07 AM
there are other guys on here that know more about strings, but is that bad for frames is you just leave the broken strings in them and dont cut them out. I thought that caused uneven tension and could warp racquets. that might be killing the life of your racquets a little early.

I know a lot of guys who say that; personally I believe it is a myth, held over from the days of wood, and metal racquets.

J

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 07:10 AM
I may be stating the obvious here, but perhaps breakage has something to do with the fact that you're stringing 10 pounds over recommended tension range.

I've been stringing at 50lb for a while now thinking it would be easier on the new frames...

J

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 07:13 AM

Here's the thread about the breaking.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=314188

J

db10s
11-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Breaking should be related to the Kevlar...... Check if your stringer has the clamps on properly.... That's all I can think of.

nyc
11-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Here's the thread about the breaking.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=314188

J

WOW, looks like the Kevlar is literally sawing through your frames.
You may need a metal lining for the bumper channel.

Kinda like Grillz for your sticks.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rc6elIZnb9w/StfvPLBfeVI/AAAAAAAAAPA/nv0vJwEGFMg/s320/grillz%5B1%5D.jpg

maggmaster
11-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Hey Jolly what about the new Blade 93?

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 10:16 AM
WOW, looks like the Kevlar is literally sawing through your frames.
You may need a metal lining for the bumper channel.

Kinda like Grillz for your sticks.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rc6elIZnb9w/StfvPLBfeVI/AAAAAAAAAPA/nv0vJwEGFMg/s320/grillz%5B1%5D.jpg

I'd do a Paul Wall impersonation if it got me a shot at Brooke Hogan...

J

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Hey Jolly what about the new Blade 93?

I'll demo it for completness sake.

J

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 10:49 AM
http://www.worldnewsinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/brooke_hogan1.jpg

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN JOLLYMANIA RUNS WILD?

GIVE IT TO ME BROTHER!

J

Pickle9
11-15-2012, 11:03 AM
http://www.worldnewsinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/brooke_hogan1.jpg

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN JOLLYMANIA RUNS WILD?

GIVE IT TO ME BROTHER!

J

GPOAT

10 goats

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 11:21 AM
GPOAT

10 goats

Posting glorious bewbage in order to bolster my thread's 3 star rating!

J

Pickle9
11-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Posting glorious bewbage in order to bolster my thread's 3 star rating!

J

she's just the type of gal you need to break your streak

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 11:51 AM
she's just the type of gal you need to break your streak

You read my mind!

The force is with you!

J

stringertom
11-15-2012, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=J011yroger;7018020]http://www.worldnewsinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/brooke_hogan1.jpg

Brooke just made me switch back to wood!

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Darth Jolly straps himself into the J-Wing as the dual turbine engines crackle to life. After a brief scan of the instruments, he leaves the docking bay with a low rumble and enters the interstellar medium.

Throttling up the turbines the J-Wing responds forcing Jollikin back into the bolstered seats, en-route to meet the weapons merchant, and appropriate a sample of the rebel arms. A pile of discharged imperial weaponry rests in the cargo hold, convenient cover for the true purpose of this mission.

The weapon merchant suspects Darth Jolly's impending defection, but is wise to keep such thoughts to himself. His discretion likely saving his life.

The imperial weapons transfer for recharging complete, and the rebel weapon sample acquired, Darth Jolly returns to the mothership in order to conduct his maniacal experiments.

J

2ManyAces
11-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Can I have a cool name is this starwars story? :D

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Can I have a cool name is this starwars story? :D

We will see where you get written in.

J

Xonemains
11-15-2012, 05:31 PM
A new hope has been born, the Darth has had a second mutt.

An all black blade mid. :twisted:

Looks the good so far, mayb Jroger can give his thoughts?

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 05:32 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/6f5pba.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/349c3tc.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ujmsmv.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/in7vbp.jpg

J

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 05:36 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2i1gtch.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2z86xqa.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2w7gupj.jpg

J

jrxl
11-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Why am I so thirsty all of a sudden?

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Why am I so thirsty all of a sudden?

It is one of my redeeming qualities.

Ask anyone.

J

MikeHitsHard93
11-15-2012, 05:43 PM
You certainly went to the dark side with the red lightsaber

Fuji
11-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Oh my, that does look good!

-Fuji

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 05:53 PM
As I think the name "Prestige" it summons immediately to mind a vision of the glorious orbage of a corsetted Scarlett Johanson where I am some sort of racquet wielding Christian Bale doppelganger.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc5jtqn5891qbhgiho2_500.png

J

klementine
11-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Aw shizznitz.... it's the battle of MIDway.

Always liked the PresMid at close to even balanced. With a thin syn.grip, like skin or resipro and lead on the entire half of the upper hoop underneath the caps. ~12.6oz strung.

Nice mod prog pics. Let us know how she plays and if she buckles. What tension you got there?

Pickle9
11-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Sitting in Sportime lobby waiting for Dennis, listening to yesterday's heroes tell goatish stories of past glory. Amateur goat once gave tip to Robert Kendrick back when he was in us open and propelled him to a career high ranking of 70. The explanation of how Sampras' bh would goat nadal's topspin fh is almost too much to handle. Trying to absorb all I can so I'm prepared to face off with jollikin's new weaponry tomorrow evening.

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Aw shizznitz.... it's the battle of MIDway.

Always liked the PresMid at close to even balanced. With a thin syn.grip, like skin or resipro and lead on the entire half of the upper hoop underneath the caps. ~12.6oz strung.

Nice mod prog pics. Let us know how she plays and if she buckles. What tension you got there?

48lbs.

She dry swings really nice, grip still feels a bit squishy, even with the leather. Hopefully it firms up with a bit of use.

J

J011yroger
11-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Sitting in Sportime lobby waiting for Dennis, listening to yesterday's heroes tell goatish stories of past glory. Amateur goat once gave tip to Robert Kendrick back when he was in us open and propelled him to a career high ranking of 70. The explanation of how Sampras' bh would goat nadal's topspin fh is almost too much to handle. Trying to absorb all I can so I'm prepared to face off with jollikin's new weaponry tomorrow evening.

Foolish youth, you know not of the clay court specialists of the 90s who thwarted Sampras, and would easily GOAT Rafa.

Anyway I hope you are prepared for the debut of the weapon code-named SGO.

J

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 04:16 AM
Dry swinging code-name SGO this morning, I was a bit surprised how big the demo 3/8 felt in my hand after the Wilson leather grip and overgrip.

Thinking maybe I would be better off in 1/2 than 5/8 for these.

Also dry swinging (carefully so as not to take out a random laptop or tea set) I suspect that I'll end up putting a little more lead at the base of the grip, doesn't quite balance right on my index knuckle.

Will hit with it tonight and see.

Let the trial and error begin.

#madscientistatwork

J

Pickle9
11-16-2012, 09:10 AM
My friend said he saw fat lady at Walmart filling her shopping cart to the brim with Twinkies. Had know clue why but said he's seen people to weirder **** so he just let it go. Hadn't heard the news yet.

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/jagka9/E76C8C93-ECB4-4896-A0D2-B2D4C2A53875-555-00000040EDF481AE.jpg

Goodbye cream-filled golden blobs of deliciousness.... Until Bain capital buys you, outsources production to china and raises price 10%

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 09:14 AM
My friend said he saw fat lady at Walmart filling her shopping cart to the brim with Twinkies. Had know clue why but said he's seen people to weirder **** so just let it go. Hadn't heard the new yet.

Goodbye cream fill golden blobs of deliciousness.... Until Bain capital buys you, outsources production to china and raise price 10%

Please tell me you aren't wearing vapors and courdoroy pants.

How are we even friends?

J

Pickle9
11-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Please tell me you aren't wearing vapors and courdoroy pants.

How are we even friends?

J

no comment

vsbabolat
11-16-2012, 09:24 AM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2i1gtch.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2z86xqa.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2w7gupj.jpg

J

Looking good! Welcome to the Prestige!

nyc
11-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Well, JollInnegra, at least you got your Scotch figured out.

Small, but equally as important a step.

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Well, JollInnegra, at least you got your Scotch figured out.

Small, but equally as important a step.

Mamma didn't raise no fool.

J

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Looking good! Welcome to the Prestige!

We'll see how she plays...

J

Pickle9
11-16-2012, 01:41 PM
We'll see how she plays...

J

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/jagka9/CBE405E9-AD66-48D4-A80D-DB2ACB00F8F3-555-0000009451C47C87.jpg

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 01:57 PM
You know 'Ice ice baby' but not the beatles?

I don't know what to think.

J

klementine
11-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Love it or leave it, you better gain way...

You better hit bullzeye, the kid don't play....

Pickle9
11-16-2012, 02:03 PM
You know 'Ice ice baby' but not the beatles?

I don't know what to think.

J

http://zuvvu.com/images/content/Stupid-road.jpg

Xonemains
11-16-2012, 05:26 PM
I like this thread.

Star Wars to V ice.

What happened? :)

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 07:27 PM
*Sigh*

Just back from hitting.

Remembered why I hate changing anything.

The prestige is nice, but it's just not the same.

I can hit the ball, and it makes a representitive sound, and goes kind of fast, but it is gonna take a while for me to figure out how to make it sing.

I'm not giving up on her though, all relationships have to work through these rough patches.

I'm thinking I'll hit with it a few more times, add some lead, drop the tension another two lbs, maybe four lbs.

J

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I guess I should give some sort of half assed review.

Feels great, touch and half volleys are fine, obviously going to take a while to get used to the different deflection angle, but that is just dialing in.

Volleys are wonderful, probably the best aspect, will only get better as I get more comfortable.

Serve will be nice, I reached full extension too soon, and that kind of stung a little if you know what I mean. Serves seem to be maybe a bit quicker, or a bit spinnier, but not as weighty.

With a bit of practice time I am sure the serve will come around. I mostly hit them long, so just a bit of an adjustment.

My groundstrokes...

Yea...

My ball just didn't have the same mean spin. I suppose the ball went fast, and had spin on it, but it just wasn't the same angry ball that the 90s generate. The prestige felt more like a skirmishing weapon, and the Wilson, an artillery weapon.

Felt like I had to move the ball around, and attack court position, instead of just bombing a heavy ball up the middle, and jumping on the short reply.

J

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 07:47 PM
As far as the spectacular factor, there were quite a few "Are you sure you've ever played this game before?" misses, and zero "Holy crap that was an amazing shot" winners.

Although I did manage to catch a ball in the Y of the throat in an attempted volley, if that counts for style points.

J

MikeHitsHard93
11-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Lol. Did you whiff the ball?

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Lol. Did you whiff the ball?

The memory is kind of fuzzy, I think I crossover step backhand stab volley, and I just overreached the ball, and it stuck in the Y.

J

Pickle9
11-16-2012, 07:58 PM
that sounds about right

btw i had a shot that i'd like to dedicate to dali's long lost belly fire for fuzzy and yellow round objects.

MikeHitsHard93
11-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Sounds like someone hit a hard passing shot...nonetheless did you like the prestige?

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Sounds like someone hit a hard passing shot...nonetheless did you like the prestige?

Yes, I liked it.

Was it as good as the Wilson?

No.

J

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 08:19 PM

I think the shot he was referring to was a BH winner DTL.

J

Fuji
11-16-2012, 08:32 PM
I guess I should give some sort of half assed review.

Feels great, touch and half volleys are fine, obviously going to take a while to get used to the different deflection angle, but that is just dialing in.

Volleys are wonderful, probably the best aspect, will only get better as I get more comfortable.

Serve will be nice, I reached full extension too soon, and that kind of stung a little if you know what I mean. Serves seem to be maybe a bit quicker, or a bit spinnier, but not as weighty.

With a bit of practice time I am sure the serve will come around. I mostly hit them long, so just a bit of an adjustment.

My groundstrokes...

Yea...

My ball just didn't have the same mean spin. I suppose the ball went fast, and had spin on it, but it just wasn't the same angry ball that the 90s generate. The prestige felt more like a skirmishing weapon, and the Wilson, an artillery weapon.

Felt like I had to move the ball around, and attack court position, instead of just bombing a heavy ball up the middle, and jumping on the short reply.

J

It's amazing. Your review of the Prestige is dead on with my impressions of it. The key part is the ball goes fast, but it doesn't feel heavy in the way other sticks make it.

-Fuji

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 08:35 PM
It's amazing. Your review of the Prestige is dead on with my impressions of it. The key part is the ball goes fast, but it doesn't feel heavy in the way other sticks make it.

-Fuji

Well... I am gonna have to find a way to make the ball heavy, or I am going to lose even more matches than I normally do because despite my high level of fitness, I am not exactly a land missile when it comes to court coverage.

J

Fuji
11-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Well... I am gonna have to find a way to make the ball heavy, or I am going to lose even more matches than I normally do because despite my high level of fitness, I am not exactly a land missile when it comes to court coverage.

J

Jolly I think we're in the same boat here haha! I'm lucky as to the fact I'm not condemned to string breaking hell like you, other wise I would throw myself to the wolves with stick selection.

It's too bad you're already at 13.0oz strung, otherwise I'd suggest adding even more tape to the head to shift the balance slightly more HH to get that extra drive. It's a tough spot where you are because obviously you can swing a heavier stick for an entire match, but I'm not sure that you totally want to!

-Fuji

MikeHitsHard93
11-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Jolly sounds like a man-eating beast...or maybe STRING-eating is more accurate ;)

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Jolly sounds like a man-eating beast...or maybe STRING-eating is more accurate ;)

Lol, no, I am a tall spindly guy who looks like he is going to fall on his face every time he hits a forehand.

J

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Jolly I think we're in the same boat here haha! I'm lucky as to the fact I'm not condemned to string breaking hell like you, other wise I would throw myself to the wolves with stick selection.

It's too bad you're already at 13.0oz strung, otherwise I'd suggest adding even more tape to the head to shift the balance slightly more HH to get that extra drive. It's a tough spot where you are because obviously you can swing a heavier stick for an entire match, but I'm not sure that you totally want to!

-Fuji

Yea, my Wilsons are 14.3 oz. I played 8 1/2 hours last Sunday, 3 hours of dubs, 5 1/2 hours of singles. Only after effect was a little bit of soreness just below my left pec (I know WTF right?).

J

MikeHitsHard93
11-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Like a boss! What's your ntrp if you don't mind?

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Like a boss! What's your ntrp if you don't mind?

I've only played three seasons, two at 5.0, and got bumped down to 4.5. Probably shouldn't have played the second season of 5.0 because I couldn't really serve at all, but whatever. Will probably play 5.0 and 4.5 this year, and if I stay healthy I anticipate going back up to 5.0.

Gonna play a tournament next week, and then the national. If all goes well, I will play a full schedule in 2013.

Highest I have ever been was #3 in Eastern Men's Open. And maybe #111 National?

5.0 league is fun here because most of the singles players are 5.5-6.0, and the doubles players are mostly really skilled 5.0+ level dubs players.

J

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 10:11 PM
https://vimeo.com/53727900

First trial of the prestige.

Going to sleep now.

J

J011yroger
11-17-2012, 03:46 AM
4 1/2 hours sleep, and I'm off to hit with a really good former circuit player. Should be a good test for this thing. He is a good barometer for me, if I'm firing on all cylinders I handle him pretty easily, but if my game is leaking any oil, he tears me apart.

J

arche3
11-17-2012, 05:12 AM
Suck it up. Use Wilson's. And change strings. Lower tensions. No Kevlar. Accept strings will break every set.

Pickle9
11-17-2012, 05:38 AM
4 1/2 hours sleep, and I'm off to hit with a really good former circuit player. Should be a good test for this thing. He is a good barometer for me, if I'm firing on all cylinders I handle him pretty easily, but if my game is leaking any oil, he tears me apart.

J

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jgvHe762FuU/TxmKJfSIb2I/AAAAAAAAA1o/VkmoCdeWf98/s1600/boba_fett_1.jpg

Dags
11-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Remembered why I hate changing anything.

You used to wear hats. You're not wearing hats any more. Clearly, herein lies the problem.

J011yroger
11-17-2012, 05:54 AM
You used to wear hats. You're not wearing hats any more. Clearly, herein lies the problem.

GENIUS!!!!!

J

Dags
11-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Did you know the new Lux 4G is available in 1.41mm? That fat boy's got to be worth a whirl.

J011yroger
11-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Did you know the new Lux 4G is available in 1.41mm? That fat boy's got to be worth a whirl.

I've heard tell of it, but didn't know it was out yet.

J

J011yroger
11-17-2012, 06:27 AM
http://coreyfolo.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/keep-calm-and-stay-on-target.jpg?w=500&h=643

J

J011yroger
11-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Went to Target to stock up on tennis balls. Naturally I had to go to the toy section and play with the lightsabers.

J

J011yroger
11-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Ok, so I survived. Actually played fine albeit differently.

This thing lends itself to a brand of tennis more in line with 1992 than 2012. I found myself on, or just inside the baseline for the majority of the time, ranging in rallys from 1' behind to 1' inside the baseline, taking everything on the rise, and short-hopping approach shots on anything short. Maybe because this thing volleys so sweetly, maybe because I knew it didn't have as much steam from the backcourt.

For sure I had to change direction, play angle games, attack, and take away time. You know, strategy.

Frankly, I am not big on strategy, and while this is fun, it just seems like too much work to have to put in to win matches.

Oh, and serves; they made a nice sound, seemed to go pretty fast, or have spin on them, but if I missed my spot they came back in an awful hurry. The Wilsons are way more forgiving due to the weight of the ball, even if I miss my spot most people don't put a good swing on the ball because it has a bit more weight.

I'm not giving up, gonna tinker a bit more. Some lead in the handle, and a touch more at 12. This thing for sure needs to be strung looser as well, probably like 4lbs looser, so I will do that after I break these strings.

J

klementine
11-17-2012, 09:18 AM
You really gotta stay low in the saddle with the PresMid to get that arch, spin and placement. They're two completely different sticks, the 90 and the PresMid.

Everything comes easier with the 90, but the PresMid is easier to wield, if that makes any sense.

All I can say is, 'God's Speed Jolly..... God's Speed...'.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z359/klementine79/RogersSTicks.jpg

J011yroger
11-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Yea, new spec is 13.6oz, 7phl.

I have nothing against serving and volleying, or standing in and taking everything on the rise. But I want to CHOOSE to do that, not HAVE to do that.

J

klementine
11-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Were your 90's spec'd out to that weight as well?

J011yroger
11-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Were your 90's spec'd out to that weight as well?

No, 14.3oz on the 90s.

J

klementine
11-17-2012, 10:39 AM
^Wow. :shock: There aren't too many pros (if any) who are at that spec, what made you go up that much? Gradual or starting point?

I would suspect the weight alone could lead to the breakage on the 90s, that's putting a lot of pressure and stress on the frame, even at low tensions.

I think it's a worthwhile venture, with the 90's, to drop about an ounce and a half (~45g), but strive for the same balance, then just use low tensions to get the pop out of a lighter frame.

Worth a shot.

skuludo
11-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Ok, so I survived. Actually played fine albeit differently.

This thing lends itself to a brand of tennis more in line with 1992 than 2012. I found myself on, or just inside the baseline for the majority of the time, ranging in rallys from 1' behind to 1' inside the baseline, taking everything on the rise, and short-hopping approach shots on anything short. Maybe because this thing volleys so sweetly, maybe because I knew it didn't have as much steam from the backcourt.

For sure I had to change direction, play angle games, attack, and take away time. You know, strategy.

Frankly, I am not big on strategy, and while this is fun, it just seems like too much work to have to put in to win matches.

Oh, and serves; they made a nice sound, seemed to go pretty fast, or have spin on them, but if I missed my spot they came back in an awful hurry. The Wilsons are way more forgiving due to the weight of the ball, even if I miss my spot most people don't put a good swing on the ball because it has a bit more weight.

I'm not giving up, gonna tinker a bit more. Some lead in the handle, and a touch more at 12. This thing for sure needs to be strung looser as well, probably like 4lbs looser, so I will do that after I break these strings.

J

I've played with the K90, Youtek Prestige Mid, and Youtek IG Prestige Mid. I think the Yonex Vcore Tour 89 can let you play both 1992 and 2012 tennis. You've got the option to CHOOSE to play close or stay back. When the Yonex is weighted up to 13 ounce for me, there was a further increase in power. Playing close to the baseline with that weight was tougher for me.

Also, it is easy to serve bigger with the 89t compared to the Youtek IG Prestige mid and K90.

Why not give this stick a try?

J011yroger
11-17-2012, 11:16 AM
^Wow. :shock: There aren't too many pros (if any) who are at that spec, what made you go up that much? Gradual or starting point?

I would suspect the weight alone could lead to the breakage on the 90s, that's putting a lot of pressure and stress on the frame, even at low tensions.

I think it's a worthwhile venture, with the 90's, to drop about an ounce and a half (~45g), but strive for the same balance, then just use low tensions to get the pop out of a lighter frame.

Worth a shot.

Unfortunately stock 90s have been breaking as well, for myself and others.

J

J011yroger
11-17-2012, 11:18 AM
I've played with the K90, Youtek Prestige Mid, and Youtek IG Prestige Mid. I think the Yonex Vcore Tour 89 can let you play both 1992 and 2012 tennis. You've got the option to CHOOSE to play close or stay back. When the Yonex is weighted up to 13 ounce for me, there was a further increase in power. Playing close to the baseline with that weight was tougher for me.

Also, it is easy to serve bigger with the 89t compared to the Youtek IG Prestige mid and K90.

Why not give this stick a try?

I can't get them locally, so would have to come through the mail.

J

rdis10093
11-17-2012, 11:29 AM
do it through the mail! yonex is so worth it.

J011yroger
11-17-2012, 06:23 PM
I spotted Pickle3PO outside the designated nav point his hideous fleece visible across six lanes of traffic. I had planned to confiscate it, and burn it for the good of man if he abandoned it on a trip to the hydro-static decompression chamber, but he kept it close by, no doubt tipped off by Denni Wan about my intentions.

Under the guise of a meal I bestowed upon him the Ncoded data capsule with the footage of our lightsaber duel. Hopefully he soon realizes that he must become one with the force if he hopes to defeat Joel Joel Binks in their upcoming skirmish.

J

power level 800
11-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Jo11yroger! I'm really not trying to play devils advocate but have you seen the latest light saber by wilson? the new BLADE 93!! the specs you wanted!! btw I hope your enjoying the new prestige's and saw the video and liked how your getting the ball on rise!

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 07:23 PM
I spotted Pickle3PO outside the designated nav point his hideous fleece visible across six lanes of traffic. I had planned to confiscate it, and burn it for the good of man if he abandoned it on a trip to the hydro-static decompression chamber, but he kept it close by, no doubt tipped off by Denni Wan about my intentions.

Under the guise of a meal I bestowed upon him the Ncoded data capsule with the footage of our lightsaber duel. Hopefully he soon realizes that he must become one with the force if he hopes to defeat Joel Joel Binks in their upcoming skirmish.

J

You need to keep this up. Way too entertaining...lol

Pickle9
11-18-2012, 02:25 AM
Holy **** baby giraffe legs :(

after seeing that, it has to be a miracle that even remain upright during/after serving lol

http://cdn.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/multimedia/dynamic/00692/giraffe12_692546g2.jpg

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 04:25 AM
Jo11yroger! I'm really not trying to play devils advocate but have you seen the latest light saber by wilson? the new BLADE 93!! the specs you wanted!! btw I hope your enjoying the new prestige's and saw the video and liked how your getting the ball on rise!

Yea, but the KBT was so very bad, that I am somewhat afraid to try it.

You know, kind of like if you get rancid chicken soup, even if you go somewhere else and try different chicken soup it still makes you want to throw up.

J

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 04:25 AM
You need to keep this up. Way too entertaining...lol

You got it buddy.

J

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Holy **** baby giraffe legs :(

after seeing that, it has to be a miracle that even remain upright during/after serving lol

Need more strempf!

J

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 04:38 AM

Thanks, and I think maybe next time I will do a video half with the Prestiges, and half with the Wilsons, and see if we can see a difference.

I know it must be frustrating for them to watch from my bag and see the prestige floundering around, and knowing they could do a better job.

J

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 09:35 AM
I am proud to announce that the weapon code-named SGO is officially DIALED IN.

Hit for about 15 minutes this morning and it was a bit unwieldy (although very good at making things go fast). So I clipped a bit of lead off of the head, and it was absolutely perfect.

Came through the hitting zone nicely, serves timed nicely, (didn't reach full extension too soon) and still volleyed well (maybe not quite as good as the first guess, but far better than the second which wobbled too much).

Thing is mint, my 5/8 one should be in next week, and I'll string it up a bit looser than this one.

Will keep updating, gonna hit some more today.

J

klementine
11-18-2012, 09:46 AM
^Good stuff. Final spec and balance?

You know, kind of like if you get rancid chicken soup, even if you go somewhere else and try different chicken soup it still makes you want to throw up.

J

I'm that way with tanqueray. An experience with the spirit when I was 14, has forced me to never walk down the gin aisle of my liquor store, in fear of upchuck.

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 09:50 AM
^Good stuff. Final spec and balance?

Crap, didn't realize I forgot to post.

13.5oz, 8phl.

Or 382g, 31.7cm for those of you who are on the metric system.

J

Dags
11-18-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm that way with tanqueray. An experience with the spirit when I was 14, has forced me to never walk down the gin aisle of my liquor store, in fear of upchuck.

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. And a man who can't look a bottle of gin in the eye is definitely suffering.

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. And a man who can't look a bottle of gin in the eye is definitely suffering.

I must be on Fbook too much, was looking for the button to 'like' your post.

I have imbibed a Saphire and tonic or two in my day. Awesome summer afternoon drink.

J

MikeHitsHard93
11-18-2012, 10:25 AM
There needs to be a LIKE button on this forum...

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 10:48 AM
On my way hit this morning I was singing along to Owl City and Carly Rae Jepson. Now I'm on my way to hit again and blasting Audioslave.

What the hell is wrong with me?

J

power level 800
11-18-2012, 11:15 AM
On my way hit this morning I was singing along to Owl City and Carly Rae Jepson. Now I'm on my way to hit again and blasting Audioslave.

What the hell is wrong with me?

J

eh, you're a man of extremes. Nothing wrong with that. Matter of fact Audioslave was perfect to balance out Owl City. Me personally I would have went with N.I.N. or Tool.

MikeHitsHard93
11-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Or Stain'd and Disturbed?

nyc
11-18-2012, 12:07 PM

J

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

(not the chicken soup).

jjaded
11-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Jolly, if you ever go back to kevlar strings, get teflon tubing put in the center mains grommets to prevent the strings from sawing through the grommet and frame.

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Jolly, if you ever go back to kevlar strings, get teflon tubing put in the center mains grommets to prevent the strings from sawing through the grommet and frame.

The bumper actually stays intact, and just gets pulled down into the caved in frame amazingly enough. Nothing gets sawed through.

J

jjaded
11-18-2012, 02:01 PM
The bumper actually stays intact, and just gets pulled down into the caved in frame amazingly enough. Nothing gets sawed through.

That is intense, I have no suggestions, but the Head is a nice frame. Have you ever had elbow issues using a kevlar/poly hybrid?

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 02:31 PM
That is intense, I have no suggestions, but the Head is a nice frame. Have you ever had elbow issues using a kevlar/poly hybrid?

Nope, I am a firm believer that the vast majority of chronic pain is due to technique, or state of mind.

Strings, racquets, braces, etc are just bandaid fixes.

J

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 02:33 PM
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

(not the chicken soup).

I think I just don't like oval beam frames.

J

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 02:36 PM
eh, you're a man of extremes. Nothing wrong with that. Matter of fact Audioslave was perfect to balance out Owl City. Me personally I would have went with N.I.N. or Tool.

Or Stain'd and Disturbed?

I think the theme song for my comeback is going to be Led Zepplin "Rock and Roll"

But that is amendable if someone has a better suggestion.

J

klementine
11-18-2012, 04:19 PM
No way. The comeback needs an import from France.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4luRmphJSLU&feature=related

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 05:00 PM

Sacre Bleu!

Somewhat fitting for the Julien Benneteau brand of tennis which this new frame causes me to gravitate towards.

J

Fuji
11-18-2012, 05:07 PM

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! Since when you listen to Gojira??? :shock:

-Fuji

J011yroger
11-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Day 3 Summary:

Hit in the morning against the same guy as yesterday, on slow wet har-tru in chilly conditions. After trimming off a touch of lead played a bit more varied style, but still more attacking than usual. Hit for about 30 min, then played points for about 45 min. Served amazingly for the first 20 or so mins of point play, and then the magic wore off and I was back to normal (not bad by any means though). I was really happy with how this spec played.

Then in the afternoon I played with a 5.0(+?) girl on a quick warm indoor hard court. Spent a lot of the time inside the baseline, and hit a ton of volleys (the frame just continues to impress me at net).

Lastly hit with a 4.0 buddy outdoors in the chilly fading daylight for about 45 mins until it got too dark. Just feeling out the frame, working on half volleys, touch (don't laugh) and control.

I am liking the frame more every time I hit it, but I still can't make the ball jump, kick, or knuckle like I can with the 90s. I either square it too much, or cut it too much.

I think it is just an angle of attack thing where I just need to find out what it takes to make this frame sing. I've played with the Wilsons since 2005, and the Head for 3 days, so I am sure there is a learning curve. My timing just isn't there with it yet, and I need to fool around a bit with how I hit the ball.

J

klementine
11-18-2012, 06:17 PM
^Sounds good so far. I played with the PresMid for close to 4 years and now oddly enough, am messing around with the Ps90 and I agree, the variation available with the 90, in terms of spin, is 'head' and shoulders above the PresMid.

I've never served as mean as I am currently with the 90. Loopers that crush the court and bounce and swerve away on the T. Just with a bit of lead at the tip. Groundstrokes are completely different with the 9 though. Have to consciously put top on the ball so it doesn't fly. The PresMid, in comparison is kind-of 'under-powered', which makes it great for hitting flatter.

My wife currently plays with the PresMid and just puts massive amounts of top on the ball. She stays low through contact and really gets under the ball. Probably the only way to play this frame in the modern sense.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! Since when you listen to Gojira??? :shock:

-Fuji

I'm all over the place with music, we've talked about this before. ;) It's different for musicians. I'll get done listening to Gojira, then rock some Huey Lewis and the News, then off to Slayer, Prince, Whitney Houston and end the night with some Talking Heads, Cure and Allen Jackson.

Really digging these guys lately btw. Saw them last year live and they're still in my head. Constantly rocking their album. They remind of the old-school 80s doom rock bands. Good stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAb421KUhk

Pickle9
11-18-2012, 06:31 PM
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/jagka9/8ED79A91-66E8-48B5-9C3D-67B776D56D61-555-000001711F1E6FA6.jpg

Power Player
11-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Wow someone dropped a gojira bomb? Amazing. I met those guys a few years back and we partied in an awkward "lets struggle through this language barrier using alcohol" kind of way. Quite simply one of the greatest live bands i have ever had the pleasure of watching.

As for the prestige mid, definitely a stick you can crush topspin with, but as stated you have to get under the ball and really be in the zone. Tightest pattern ever. I still say demo the new blade tour..i hated the k blade as well and i am loving the blx blade 98. The prestige does hit a wonderful line drive crushing topspin forehand, but i can hit the same ball with the blade and get a lot more spin when i want it as well.

NLBwell
11-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Hey Jolly, just an off-the wall thought, but maybe you should re-consider the 6.1 95's with an 18x20 pattern?
I'm sure that with the 16x19 the ball would fly on you, but the larger head size spreads the strings out more than the 90s. It is a beast of a racket (at least the original and the K that I've hit with). It should give you a more spinny hard-hit ball than the Prestige Mid, yet still allow you to control the ball.
I would recommend the Prestige Pro, but once again, you'd have to string very tight to maintain control and it might eat strings.

It is very informative to hear about your mad experiments with the Prestige Mid.

Actually, I'm sure you would love my original Black Aces. The ones I have now are from the TW Bosworth stock (maybe intended for Steve Denton) and are 14oz stock, 86 sq in headsize 16main pattern. You can't have them though ------- Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

J011yroger
11-19-2012, 03:41 AM
^Sounds good so far. I played with the PresMid for close to 4 years and now oddly enough, am messing around with the Ps90 and I agree, the variation available with the 90, in terms of spin, is 'head' and shoulders above the PresMid.

I've never served as mean as I am currently with the 90. Loopers that crush the court and bounce and swerve away on the T. Just with a bit of lead at the tip. Groundstrokes are completely different with the 9 though. Have to consciously put top on the ball so it doesn't fly. The PresMid, in comparison is kind-of 'under-powered', which makes it great for hitting flatter.

My wife currently plays with the PresMid and just puts massive amounts of top on the ball. She stays low through contact and really gets under the ball. Probably the only way to play this frame in the modern sense.

I'm all over the place with music, we've talked about this before. ;) It's different for musicians. I'll get done listening to Gojira, then rock some Huey Lewis and the News, then off to Slayer, Prince, Whitney Houston and end the night with some Talking Heads, Cure and Allen Jackson.

Really digging these guys lately btw. Saw them last year live and they're still in my head. Constantly rocking their album. They remind of the old-school 80s doom rock bands. Good stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAb421KUhk

Wow someone dropped a gojira bomb? Amazing. I met those guys a few years back and we partied in an awkward "lets struggle through this language barrier using alcohol" kind of way. Quite simply one of the greatest live bands i have ever had the pleasure of watching.

As for the prestige mid, definitely a stick you can crush topspin with, but as stated you have to get under the ball and really be in the zone. Tightest pattern ever. I still say demo the new blade tour..i hated the k blade as well and i am loving the blx blade 98. The prestige does hit a wonderful line drive crushing topspin forehand, but i can hit the same ball with the blade and get a lot more spin when i want it as well.

I really don't like oval beam frames, and am just not sure I can trust any Wilsons not to cave.

I asked if there were any problems with the blade or 95 18X20 coming back, and was told that they really weren't selling. Everyone was buying Head or Babolat and that the only Wilson that was selling was the Steam.

J

J011yroger
11-19-2012, 03:55 AM
Hey Jolly, just an off-the wall thought, but maybe you should re-consider the 6.1 95's with an 18x20 pattern?
I'm sure that with the 16x19 the ball would fly on you, but the larger head size spreads the strings out more than the 90s. It is a beast of a racket (at least the original and the K that I've hit with). It should give you a more spinny hard-hit ball than the Prestige Mid, yet still allow you to control the ball.
I would recommend the Prestige Pro, but once again, you'd have to string very tight to maintain control and it might eat strings.

It is very informative to hear about your mad experiments with the Prestige Mid.

Actually, I'm sure you would love my original Black Aces. The ones I have now are from the TW Bosworth stock (maybe intended for Steve Denton) and are 14oz stock, 86 sq in headsize 16main pattern. You can't have them though ------- Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

I've actually never had a problem with balls flying on me with any frame once I've put a few minutes in to figure it out.

I've certainly taken a swing with something and gone "Woah nelly!" but after a minute or two get my angle right and am on my merry way.

I can hit the ball wherever I want with most anything, my big concern is what the ball does when it gets there. I could hit cones with my ground strokes swinging a pure drive, but it was just a light spinny 'teaching pro' ball.

I've always been kind of mystified by the "I can't keep the ball in the court with this racquet because it is so powerful." posts here, and I just assume the posters who say such things aren't that good. I switched from Kevlar/ALU at 70# to BBO/ALU at 50#. It took me about 5 minutes to adjust my serve and topspin groundstrokes, and a week to adjust my return, slice, and volleys. Two weeks later I was totally comfortable with the new strings.

With the new frame I have about 1 1/2 hours of serious hitting and point play, and about 3 hours of lighter "feel it out" hitting, and I feel as if I am about half way to having this thing figured out.

About your black aces, I am sure I would love to hit with them, but not really sure they would be stiff enough for match play for me.

J

J011yroger
11-19-2012, 04:02 AM
A note on stiffness and the prestiges:

I said this in my original review of the YTPM, soft racquets feel great, are wonderful to volley, and hit lightly with but I love playing with very stiff frames.

These new prestiges (and I've no clue how they managed it) feel like a brick wall, with a thin layer of rubber padding on it. So if you hit softly, or volley lightly you have the nice soft feel of the rubber padding, but when you take a rip at the ball or have to volley a bullet the padding is used right up and the frame is rock solid behind the ball.

I laughed when Head said that it was a racquet that played soft when you hit soft, and played stiff when you hit hard, but I'll be darned if that isn't exactly what it does.

J

Power Player
11-19-2012, 05:53 AM
I really don't like oval beam frames, and am just not sure I can trust any Wilsons not to cave.

I asked if there were any problems with the blade or 95 18X20 coming back, and was told that they really weren't selling. Everyone was buying Head or Babolat and that the only Wilson that was selling was the Steam.

J

I hear you. The Blades sell like hotcakes down here, but it may not be your thing. The prestige makes sense since you string tight and hit flatter. I can't jive with the head gripshape after being spoiled by Wilson's.

Sounds like you are settled in, but a wildcard could be the Prince Graphite 90.

And yeah, when you crack a ball with the Head Youteks, it is wild how the feel differs from a touch shot. If you really want to party, you should grab some prestige classic 600s. Incredible feel.

J011yroger
11-19-2012, 06:07 AM
I hear you. The Blades sell like hotcakes down here, but it may not be your thing. The prestige makes sense since you string tight and hit flatter. I can't jive with the head gripshape after being spoiled by Wilson's.

Sounds like you are settled in, but a wildcard could be the Prince Graphite 90.

And yeah, when you crack a ball with the Head Youteks, it is wild how the feel differs from a touch shot. If you really want to party, you should grab some prestige classic 600s. Incredible feel.

BBO loves to be strung loose. Going to 44 or 46 lbs on the next stringjob.

J

Power Player
11-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Im doing the 4g thing...amazing tension maintenance. I have it at 50/52 and honestly it is like BBO..could probably have gone lower, but I got used to the control and feel now so Im sticking with it.

J011yroger
11-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Im doing the 4g thing...amazing tension maintenance. I have it at 50/52 and honestly it is like BBO..could probably have gone lower, but I got used to the control and feel now so Im sticking with it.

Waiting to try the super thick version.

J

NLBwell
11-19-2012, 09:46 AM
I've actually never had a problem with balls flying on me with any frame once I've put a few minutes in to figure it out.

I've certainly taken a swing with something and gone "Woah nelly!" but after a minute or two get my angle right and am on my merry way.

I can hit the ball wherever I want with most anything, my big concern is what the ball does when it gets there. I could hit cones with my ground strokes swinging a pure drive, but it was just a light spinny 'teaching pro' ball.

I've always been kind of mystified by the "I can't keep the ball in the court with this racquet because it is so powerful." posts here, and I just assume the posters who say such things aren't that good. I switched from Kevlar/ALU at 70# to BBO/ALU at 50#. It took me about 5 minutes to adjust my serve and topspin groundstrokes, and a week to adjust my return, slice, and volleys. Two weeks later I was totally comfortable with the new strings.

With the new frame I have about 1 1/2 hours of serious hitting and point play, and about 3 hours of lighter "feel it out" hitting, and I feel as if I am about half way to having this thing figured out.

About your black aces, I am sure I would love to hit with them, but not really sure they would be stiff enough for match play for me.

J

You are right about the Black Aces being quite flexible. It is the weight that is in your (and my) sweetspot and using that weight give more power than any racket around these days without major mods. With the smaller head, you don't have to string extremely high (kevlar in 70s) to keep control.

Maybe I'm not good enough to control the ball with any racket, as you say. When I was good enough, I used a wood racket, so never had to adjust to such things.
I do like to hit flat, and you just can not hit extremely hard and flat with a larger headed racket with a springy stringbed. Even with my gut/poly stringjobs at pretty high tensions, when the poly loosens just a little it can trampoline and with two seemingly identical shots one will go in and one will hit the back fence. Certainly if you dial it back and spin the ball in it won't trampoline and you can keep the ball in the court consistently, but you aren't going to win matches. I don't really have problems with trampolining with kevlar or poly string setups.

I did try a kevlar/poly hybrid at one time in my Prestige Pros. I hit well with it and you can get excellent spin and also excellent control on flat balls - really nice for both. I did get just a bit of soreness in my arm, so I cut it out after a few hits to prevent damage since I'm playing with a torn elbow tendon and old tears in my rotator cuff as well as torn cartilage in my shouder.

Seems like the Prestige Mid is coming along and you have gone a few hours without breaking the strings. The tight string bed must be helping with that. If it keeps up, you might even try thinner polys to open the stringbed just a touch.

J011yroger
11-19-2012, 10:06 AM
I won't be able to tell much about string life for a while. It usually takes me a few weeks until I am 100% mentally sure about the new setup, and can really lean on the ball.

My first couple of stringjobs last easily double what becomes the norm.

J

J011yroger
11-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Signed up for first tournament in almost a year.

Court conditions are usually terrible, and draws are usually small, but it is 15 mins from home.

So far one 4.5ish, and one 5.5ish player have signed up, usually a bunch more pile in at the last minute.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/tournamenthome/tournament.aspx?T=120098

J

J011yroger
11-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Jolly Fuel:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/559162_10151122942741611_668279058_n.jpg

J

nyc
11-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Bon Appetit!

Pickle9
11-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Jolly Fuel:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/559162_10151122942741611_668279058_n.jpg

J

Pork block!

J011yroger
11-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Pork block!

After that, I finished the bottle of Cab, along with a wedge of your favorite cheese, and the crack crackers.

4,000 calorie dinner.

J

Power Player
11-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Im doing a shiraz, ginger and chicken breast stir fry with no rice thing tonight.

Will try and film a little blade session tomorrow.

J011yroger
11-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Im doing a shiraz, ginger and chicken breast stir fry with no rice thing tonight.

Will try and film a little blade session tomorrow.

Sounds like a plan!

J

Pickle9
11-20-2012, 07:15 PM
After that, I finished the bottle of Cab, along with a wedge of your favorite cheese, and the crack crackers.

4,000 calorie dinner.

J

Ugh my tummy needs to be taken to epic GOATville

JoelDali
11-20-2012, 08:20 PM
If Jolly was a chick I'd GOAT it.

J011yroger
11-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Ugh my tummy needs to be taken to epic GOATville

You can come over, we will drink scotch, eat cheese, and then you can pass out on my most excellent couch.

J

J011yroger
11-20-2012, 09:26 PM

The flame of the bromance burns bright as ever.

J

rlau
11-21-2012, 02:06 AM
Where the heck is this thread going?!

J011yroger
11-21-2012, 04:10 AM

We've hoisted the black flag and set sail for uncharted waters!

J

J011yroger
11-21-2012, 04:19 AM
Ok, tournament entry list looks set, will update with draws.

Looks like one 4.5ish, one good 5.0ish, and a current DI 5.5ish.

We will see, never played anyone in the tournament before which is a first since I usually know everyone.

Going to put the Prestige on the shelf for the weekend and use my 90s for tonight and Friday's practice and then use them for the tournament. Playing dubs tonight, then hitting with a very good player after, then Friday hitting with Mr. Pickle.

J

arche3
11-21-2012, 04:50 AM

Dinner then a movie? Then liking each other all over Facebook and twitter.

Pickle9
11-21-2012, 05:01 AM
Jolly looking strong, might win Hunty

dsa202
11-21-2012, 05:25 AM
Jolly looking strong, might win Hunty

Not if I have something to say about it!

J011yroger
11-21-2012, 06:12 AM
2 more of my friends joined at the 11th hour. Gonna be fun.

J

J011yroger
11-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Not if I have something to say about it!

Sweet! See you there. Regardless, we should hit whenever.

J

J011yroger
11-21-2012, 06:15 AM
I went to text Pickle "It's on!" and my phone nearly autocorrected it to "It's PMS!".

Which would've been awkward.

J

Pickle9
11-21-2012, 06:23 AM
I went to text Pickle "It's on!" and my phone nearly autocorrected it to "It's PMS!".

Which would've been awkward.

J

And the funny thing about that is autocorrect learns the words you use frequently!

J011yroger
11-21-2012, 06:29 AM
And the funny thing about that is autocorrect learns the words you use frequently!

Well... That explains a lot.

J

dsa202
11-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Sweet! See you there. Regardless, we should hit whenever.

J

Damn entries are closed! I'll try to call in today.

Pickle9
11-21-2012, 08:17 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--xfC9OumDo4/TcbXwP9bD5I/AAAAAAAAA3k/Rb5j4wtCVS8/s1600/sexygoat2.jpg

J011yroger
11-21-2012, 10:41 AM
I am not jolly right now. Remembering why I decided that these tournaments suck.

First match Friday 7pm, second match Friday 8:45pm.

In what universe is it ok to ask someone to play potentially 6 sets at night after a day of work?

I'm going for 3rd set tiebreakers, just to be a jerk.

J

dsa202
11-21-2012, 10:42 AM
I am not jolly right now. Remembering why I decided that these tournaments suck.

First match Friday 7pm, second match Friday 8:45pm.

In what universe is it ok to ask someone to play potentially 6 sets at night after a day of work?

I'm going for 3rd set tiebreakers, just to be a jerk.

J

Wow, glad I didn't get in.

nyc
11-21-2012, 10:59 AM
1.5 hrs for 2 sets and potentially a 3rd set tiebreaker seems a bit rushed to me.

I've played 2 seters that lasted 2 hours in tournaments.

Sounds like they figured the skill differential in the unseeded players will guarantee a quick finish of the first round.

J011yroger
11-21-2012, 11:03 AM
1.5 hrs for 2 sets and potentially a 3rd set tiebreaker seems a bit rushed to me.

I've played 2 seters that lasted 2 hours in tournaments.

Sounds like they figured the skill differential in the unseeded players will guarantee a quick finish of the first round.

Full 3rd set.

My matches tend to take a while, even when I get my *** kicked.

J

J011yroger
12-01-2012, 05:36 PM
The force was not with me last weekend, and I ran into an asskicking.

Other guy was quite good, and played really well, I was kind of out of it and played really tight. Could barely serve at all, and it was obvious that I hadn't played a singles match that mattered in a long time.

But I had fun, and am looking forward to the next one, and hopefully a bunch in '13. Just need some match play under my belt again, and to alter my mindset a bit.

Re: The prestige.

I gave it up for a week since I had the tournament and a bunch of friendly dubs matches, but hit with it again last night. It is still nice, and I am adjusting to it.

Waiting to get mine in 5/8 as there seems to be some sort of delay.

Also the buttcap, or pallet on the demo I've been using has loosened up and the thing now creaks like an old wooden sailboat. Much the same as my BLXPSs. So I am thinking it is likely buttcap.

Which blows.

But oh well.

Keep calm and swing hard.

J