Stiffness: 69
Beam Width: 23mm / 26mm / 24mm /
Composition: Graphite/ Tungsten
Power Level: Low-Medium
Stroke Style: Full
Swing Speed: Fast
Racquet Colors:
Black/ Yellow/ White

Quite a difference in swing weight; I can't wait to demo.

morandi
11-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Going to hit with it tomorrow. Can't wait. It has a really nice balance to it, feels good in the hands, but of course that means nothing.

srvnvly
11-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Going to hit with it tomorrow. Can't wait. It has a really nice balance to it, feels good in the hands, but of course that means nothing.

I'm jealous! Will you compare the swing weights, power and stiffness? Much appreciated.

Irrelevant
11-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Stiffness of 69? What happened to the usual 70 that Babolats became known for?

Ross K
11-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Specs are (sorta) up:
Head Size:
100 sq. in. / 645.16 sq. cm.
Length: 27in / 68.58cm
Strung Weight: 11.3oz / 320.35g
Balance: 5 pts HL
Swingweight: 316
Stiffness: 69
Beam Width: 23mm / 26mm / 24mm /
Composition: Graphite/ Tungsten
Power Level: Low-Medium
Stroke Style: Full
Swing Speed: Fast
Racquet Colors:
Black/ Yellow/ White

Quite a difference in swing weight; I can't wait to demo.

Bring on the feedback! Definitely one of many that interests me for 2013.

morandi
11-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Hit with it this morning. This new version is awesome. All of the things I did not like about the previous version are addressed in this one. It feels faster through the air, yet is more solid and satisfying at contact. Gone is that weird toy like hollow feeling from the previous version. It took me all of two seconds to get comfortable with this racquet. You feel like you can just manipulate the ball anyway you want. Very easy to change up the pace. I found directional control better with this version, and better feel and pace on the backhand side. Just more solid feeling, yet lighter and faster through the air. It feels and plays more like a thinner beam racquet, the previous version always felt a tad clunky to me. Two big thumbs up, definite improvement over previous model. I was surprised.

richsox
11-14-2012, 10:37 AM
I thought the RA I heard was 74 before--are you sure it is only 69?

Boricua
11-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Hit with it this morning. This new version is awesome. All of the things I did not like about the previous version are addressed in this one. It feels faster through the air, yet is more solid and satisfying at contact. Gone is that weird toy like hollow feeling from the previous version. It took me all of two seconds to get comfortable with this racquet. You feel like you can just manipulate the ball anyway you want. Very easy to change up the pace. I found directional control better with this version, and better feel and pace on the backhand side. Just more solid feeling, yet lighter and faster through the air. It feels and plays more like a thinner beam racquet, the previous version always felt a tad clunky to me. Two big thumbs up, definite improvement over previous model. I was surprised.

In the Aero GT version the only full copoly I can use is TCS as any other full copoly setup I find stiff. So, what string setup in the new Aero would you recommend, full copoly or hybrid?

Filipinotennis
11-14-2012, 11:27 AM
I thought the RA I heard was 74 before--are you sure it is only 69?
Yeah that's what I've heard as well... On another thread I read them mentioning a 74 stiffness

srvnvly
11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Yeah that's what I've heard as well... On another thread I read them mentioning a 74 stiffness

Racquet Finder: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-APD13.html

jcollura4
11-14-2012, 11:51 AM
aww, i just bought another 2012 one a week ago :oops:

richsox
11-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Racquet Finder: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-APD13.html

Thanks for the link. I find it intriguing though, as it surely seems to list what has to be the APD, But, when I click on it - it shows nothing but the spec, with zero description stated for the racket itself....although I am inclined to believe it is for the APD 2013 for sure

Also, I am pretty sure that Babolat has somewhere leaked it out as a 74 RA, but we all know from past experience that the way TW determines RA is sometimes different from the manufacturers, expecially Babolat (Babolat lists a Pure Storm GT as 69 RA, yet TW list it as 63 RA)

ArliHawk
11-14-2012, 12:46 PM
And just when I thought I was ready to playtest a Dunlop M 6.0 and Donnay Formula, I may just evolve from the 2010 APD to the 2013 APD.

Ross K
11-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Sounding very good here. :)

MikeHitsHard93
11-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Agree. Looks like I will be waiting til 2013 to make a decision :)

Veninga
11-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the link. I find it intriguing though, as it surely seems to list what has to be the APD, But, when I click on it - it shows nothing but the spec, with zero description stated for the racket itself....although I am inclined to believe it is for the APD 2013 for sure

Also, I am pretty sure that Babolat has somewhere leaked it out as a 74 RA, but we all know from past experience that the way TW determines RA is sometimes different from the manufacturers, expecially Babolat (Babolat lists a Pure Storm GT as 69 RA, yet TW list it as 63 RA)

Babolat's stiffness numbers are unstrung. TW has strung RA numbers.

MauRod
11-15-2012, 12:14 AM
On an italian forum i've read today that the stiffness value will be around 72 RA...
See below:
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=3&u=17925950

rlau
11-15-2012, 12:27 AM
72 is the unstrung stiffness, which corresponds with 69 strung.

jjl
11-15-2012, 04:56 AM
For me it's gonna come down to APD '13 vs. Head Extreme MP 2.0 vs. Wilson Steam 99S. may the best racket win.

Boricua
11-15-2012, 06:58 AM
What is the new name given? Cortex, GT, what is the name now?

Boricua
11-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Wow, didn't know Babolat was letting pics leak out already!

Federerkblade:
Btw, mine came pre-strung with Excel strings (what kind did they give you?) - might swap for some BPM Blast and keep testing. So far so good; VERY maneuverable, great racket head speed! Love the new colors too :)

presale is the 23rd of Nov so the leaking helps the presale I guess. Free marketing for Babolat:)

morandi
11-15-2012, 07:07 AM
I tested it with the black Excel strings, so I'm sure the racquet will feel even better with nice shaped poly. I can't wait to get one, now that I tasted it the wait to December 12th is killing me.

Boricua
11-15-2012, 08:43 AM
I tested it with the black Excel strings, so I'm sure the racquet will feel even better with nice shaped poly. I can't wait to get one, now that I tasted it the wait to December 12th is killing me.

what string are you planning to use?

botticelli
11-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Wrong about the stiffness of the 2013 Aeropro Drive GT it is RA 74 and is much stiffer than older version. I have one 2013 that I have been hitting with for a month and a half and it is stiffer.....also this information is located on the cardboard cover that has Nadals and tsongas picture on it. Behind it has the specs for the racquet.

Big Difference between this model and the older Aeropro.

More pop on serve
Groundstrokes land a lot deeper in the court as well as more bite on slices

Reason the racquet is a lot more stiffer. I use full poly strung at 58 pounds.

tennisnut09
11-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Wrong about the stiffness of the 2013 Aeropro Drive GT it is RA 74 and is much stiffer than older version. I have one 2013 that I have been hitting with for a month and a half and it is stiffer.....also this information is located on the cardboard cover that has Nadals and tsongas picture on it. Behind it has the specs for the racquet.

More pop on serve

Very interested in this racket. How do you think about the control and plow thru? How does it feel when volley?
Thanks!

botticelli
11-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Can't really comment on the volley aspect of the racquet. I am strictly a baseliner, but the racquet does have more plow thru because of the stiffness. I find I have to string the racquet higher than the older model. I also believe the control is better with the 2013. Overall very good improvement over the older model.

tennisnut09
11-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Can you compare this racket with the PD or PDR. I hope you've tried those racket before?

tennisnut09
11-15-2012, 12:49 PM

how is the volley? from the picture, it does look longer at the shaft and the smaller head. Does it?

Thanks!

morandi
11-15-2012, 05:44 PM
To me it had a better more solid feel on volleys. I think it was partially the balance change, makes for a very very maneuverable racquet, yet whatever they did they were able to make it more solid feeling on impact.
What I find great/weird about the APD is that it has great sensory feedback, meaning that I know exactly whats happening to the ball, where its going etc... It doesn't have "great feel" in the traditional sense like a Prestige, but you can manipulate the ball how you want to.

tennisnut09
11-16-2012, 05:06 AM
To me it had a better more solid feel on volleys. I think it was partially the balance change, makes for a very very maneuverable racquet, yet whatever they did they were able to make it more solid feeling on impact.
What I find great/weird about the APD is that it has great sensory feedback, meaning that I know exactly whats happening to the ball, where its going etc... It doesn't have "great feel" in the traditional sense like a Prestige, but you can manipulate the ball how you want to.

Thank you! I am looking for something between The PD 2012 and the PDR 2012. This new model seems to fit the spec. Can't wait to demo one.

TennisJC
11-17-2012, 01:23 AM

Interesting that Nadal is suppose to return to practice officially next week, and plans to play first exhibit tournament in late Dec..http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=7020976&posted=1#post7020976

Might be perfectly aligned for Rafa's Return.

Actually reads almost like a movie premier on 12/12...with Nadal (as King Arthur). With the help of the new APD 2013 (Excalibur), training with Uncle Toni (Merlin) after recovering his wounds from the island of Majorca (Avalon). Directed by Babolat of course ;-)

srvnvly
11-17-2012, 08:11 AM

morandi - did you feel any of the "brassy" effect that Andy from TW reported in his experience with the racquet? He claimed it was less stable/ a bit harsh toward the tip of the frame.

Boricua
12-11-2012, 04:28 AM
Can't really comment on the volley aspect of the racquet. I am strictly a baseliner, but the racquet does have more plow thru because of the stiffness. I find I have to string the racquet higher than the older model. I also believe the control is better with the 2013. Overall very good improvement over the older model.

1_Do you play the APD stock or do you customize it?

2-What strings are you using?

3- Do you feel unwanted vibrations when mishitting? (I feel the vibrations in the 2010 Aeropro)

Francis27
12-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Someone already got the racket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ywb8pWiVA

ArliHawk
12-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Getting mine tomorrow! Can't wait.

Ross K
12-11-2012, 09:25 PM

More pop on serve

74 is very high for my tastes, so hoping (as is the case with the Juice 100 actually) the stiffness/harshness isn't as high as the figures would seem to indicate.

richsox
12-11-2012, 11:19 PM
74 is very high for my tastes, so hoping (as is the case with the Juice 100 actually) the stiffness/harshness isn't as high as the figures would seem to indicate.

Ross, it really does feel less stiff (to me anyway) than both the 12 PD, and also less stiff than 74. I once called Babolat about this (in France), and they explained that the contour of the Throat area, and structure of the APD, would result in a feel, which really is much less than any stated RA rating.....

I must say, I've been well impressed hitting with the APD 2013. I;ve got mine coming with a full bed of VS Team (usually I go VS Touch) at 57lbs.....