PDA

View Full Version : Serve Grips?

LanEvo
11-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Hey guys, can someone help me by listing out all the types of serves and the grips you use or would use for them all? I feel lost all around on my serves right now, with no consistency, and I am pretty sure it is a problem with my grip and toss, so any help would be great.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Always continental? O.o

Slice, topspin, kick, flat, topspin/slice?

We can throw in the reverse slice too if you prefer. Some people like moving a bit towards an eastern forehand for a flatter serve (O.o) while others edge towards the eastern backhand (or fully convert) for spinnier serves.

I say keep it simple, always continental.

OHBH
11-13-2012, 10:19 PM
I use a continental grip for everything except the kick serve. For the kicker I use a weak eastern backhand grip.

Xizel
11-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Continental everything.

slowfox
11-14-2012, 12:50 AM
I use a continental grip for everything except the kick serve. For the kicker I use a weak eastern backhand grip.

This is the way to go.

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-14-2012, 02:00 AM
Continental everything.

Continental everything. Messed around with my eastern backhand grip for serves and I felt lost... :confused:

Orion3
11-14-2012, 02:10 AM

+1

Occassionaly use a full eastern backhand on my kicker - if I'm trying to hit an extreme angle. Normally do this as an attacking first serve.

LeeD
11-14-2012, 08:22 AM
As everyone said, continental for most serves.
For the twist, you can try conti, but lots of us use conti with a slight turn to eBackhand, but not fully eBackhand.

WildVolley
11-14-2012, 10:02 AM
I use continental for everything. For the flat and slice serves, the racket path is slightly different but the shoulder turn is the same.

For heavy topspin and attempts at twist serves, my shoulders turn away more from the net during the windup and the racket path is more across the back of the ball at a slightly lower contact point. I guess an opponent could read this, but I prefer to position the body differently rather than mess with the grip to put different spin on the ball.

LeeD
11-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Shall we consider pronation as part of the racket head speed of a serve?
If it's true for flat first serves, pronation, why not use the same pronation for a twist serve?
If we use the exact same grip, wouldn't the ball be hit out wide and up high?
So we switch the grip SLIGHTLY towards eBackhand, so we can pronate into the twist serve, and still hit the back of the ball upwards and outwards.