PDA

View Full Version : My Annual Racket Migration - yet again :p

mxmx
11-13-2012, 11:09 PM
I need some help or opinions please?
I guess this is my annual migration of rackets...

I have two exo tour 100's for almost a year now, which i find rather heavy at times. I think their lack of power, especially on the serve (for me) emphasizes the heaviness, more than some other rackets would have, like for example the kblade98.
So I ended up adding lead at 3&9, which definitely ads power and stability to the racket. It does however, make the racket even heavier for me. I guess it's not ideal, but some days I play better with my stock racket, and other days better with my leaded racket. My main racket is the leaded setup...and my thinking was that its a more attacking setup than the stock version. So if things go well for me in a match, id play with the same racket throughout. When things go wrong, i switch to the stock version - psychologically i have changed rackets and could mentally change the match. I could however not really say whether this works or not, as even in spite of this, i still sometimes play better with lead, and sometimes better stock.

With lead, i struggle with maneuverability...without lead, i struggle with power. But this is besides the point....

To make a long story short: I recently bought two very light wilson BLX-surge (2011 model) rackets. I have not migrated to them yet, but will do so soon. Their setup is lighter, slightly more head heavy orientated. I am hoping I did not make a mistake buying these, as i know that heavier rackets seems to be the best way to go normally.

The reason I decided on the wilson Surge, is due to what I had before the tours. I previously played with:
- a Prince Speedport black (best serving ever)...and
- a wilson kblade98 before that (best control ever, except for misshits)

My thinking was that the surge would:
- have the same control and feel of the kblade98 (being a wilson also) but without
the misshits due to a 100sq inch.
- have similar power to the speedport black due to stiffness
- similar manueverability as the speedport black due to lightness
- similar spin to the tour100 due to the open string pattern

I do think the exotour100's improved my technique, especially on the volleys and serve...but i find myself having to muscle the ball at times and that the racket is too demanding to get power at times.

Could someone please give their opinions on light vs. heavy frames, especially between the tour100 and the wilson Surge if possible? Maybe taking into consideration what I've liked in my previous rackets? I know I havent played with the wilson Surge's yet, but on paper, i would like to know if it was a wise decision, or a mistake in your opinion. Also, them being cheaper frames than normal, It does kind of leave the impression in the back of the mind that they're not top end rackets?

MikeHitsHard93
11-14-2012, 03:10 AM
If you play against ANYONE that hits even relatively big, you will need to put lead on them. No questions asked. They are basically a lighter playing pro open with a larger sweet spot.

mxmx
11-14-2012, 11:33 PM
I guess at least i will have the option of lead due to them being so light. I will probably also go back to full poly when the stock wilson strings go.

Do you think a larger sweetspot, is better than a more concentrated one? I get the impression that smaller sweetspots are better when hit right - almost more concentrated

MikeHitsHard93
11-15-2012, 06:14 AM
It's all personal preference, but I find that with a smaller sweet spot I have more control on my shots usually. The surge has the sweet spot of like a prince o3 red original, but more control. It's a solid platform for customizing

mxmx
11-15-2012, 11:44 PM
It's all personal preference, but I find that with a smaller sweet spot I have more control on my shots usually. The surge has the sweet spot of like a prince o3 red original, but more control. It's a solid platform for customizing

At least there is the platform to customise like you say if all else fails. I was hoping i wouldn't need to, but only time will tell. I think I should have researched more to be honest. Lol @ me dissing a racket before even having played with it hehe....But in the same breath i don't see many players using either the old surge, or the new one.

mxmx
01-17-2013, 10:53 PM
So now basically I've been playing with the new wilson rackets. I am very happy so far....could instantly adapt to them. They feel consistent and you know what to expect.

The rackets has increased my serve speed and much more effortless now. Second serves not as good as on the tours - yet. When I'm more comfortable with the wilsons, I'm sure the second serves will be acceptable.

What I like about the wilsons so far:
- first serves much more effortless and will skid less, but "fly up"
- racket much lighter so it feels like its harder to get tired
- low volleys feels great and stable/controlled
- misshits on the actual frame or close to the frame, feels more comfortable and i actually like the sound it makes when misshitting - unlike on the tour.
- This racket is so light, i can add the lead at 3 & 9 as on the tours, except with some lead in the buttcap as well if needed.

Things to sort:
- unstable without lead at times, even with the wider frame.
- lead works, but it keeps falling off due to the matt paint.
- very very undecided about 2 string types (poly or kevlar)
- the stock strings are on their way out just as a tournament is about to start. I can only get my strings on the day of the tournament...which means they will not be broken in - this is integral to which strings I choose - babolat pro hurricane(white or yellow?) vs. ashway crossfire. My guess is that the ashaways will take much longer to break in and not be "raw" and skidd-like on the ball....

Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT:
I know how the pro hurricanes felt in the flexible exo tour - did not like it much, even though pro hurricane has worked great on previous rackets I've own.(see OP) On the exo tours, I preferred the ashway's for sure...It is however with the stiffer wilsons I am unsure what either strings will do...