PDA

View Full Version : Donnay XDual racquets?

TripleB
11-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Can anyone give me some feedback (power, control, spin potential, feel, etc.) on these Donnay Racquets:

- X-Dual Gold 99

- X-Dual Silver 99

- X-P Dual Black 102

I’m trying to find a thinner beamed (<23mm) racquet that offers excellent spin potential, is easy on the arm (still having some arm pain even though I haven’t played tennis in over a month), gives spot on control, decent power, is between 96-102 sq in, standard length, and weighs between 10.9 and 11.5 ounces strung. 4.0 baseline singles player, looking to transition to the net more, and will be playing much more doubles.

Others I’ve considered are the Head MicroGel Radical MP, Dunlop AG 4D 300 Tour, and Dunlop Bio F3.0 Tour but tend to shy away from 18x20 string patterns. The Mantis Tour 305 but haven’t heard a great deal about Mantis racquets. And the X-Feel Tour from Pacific but really haven't found a Pacific (or Fischer) racquet I've liked in the past. Plus I like the easy customization of the Donnay XDual Racquets.

Thank you for any help.

TripleB

BTW, recent racquets: Wilson BLX Pro Open, Dunlop AG 4D 200 Tour, Dunlop AG 4D 300, Babolat Pure Drive Cortex

SJSA
11-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Gold 99 will be your choice.
It has great control, spin, feel, comfort, and stability.
You can easily customize it to add more power as you know.
You might consider Prince EXO3 Tour 16x18 for spin and comfort but it has lack of stability.
I recently purchased Bio F3.0 Tour. Spin is not that great compared to other 2 rackets.

El Diablo
11-14-2012, 11:38 AM
TripleB might become the first person to switch to a new racquet and then switch again without ever having used it. This is bizarre; forget about racquets for awhile, get into something else for now.

TripleB
11-14-2012, 11:48 AM
TripleB might become the first person to switch to a new racquet and then switch again without ever having used it.

This may occur in the future, but not with my BLX Pro Open. I've used it plenty of times...more than enough to know it's too harsh on my right elbow and that I prefer a thinner beamed racquet.

TripleB

gd!
11-14-2012, 12:18 PM
TripleB,

Coming from the Gamma T-7 I currently own two Donnay racquets; an X-P Dual and another X-Red 99.
Have to consider the original X-Series is providing very much of an old-school flexy feel, plush and solid, not overall powerful. X-P Dual is much more comparable to an actual tweener racquet, however, still this offers an impressive blend of comfort and feel. If one suffers from tennis elbow, I recommend the X-Series over X-Dual Series, though. In that case you may look for X-Orange, Yellow or White and customize it using the Donnay customization kit.
Myself, I am looking to get my hands on another X-P Dual. Love that racquet very much, even I hit the Gamma T-7 for the last 3 years, X-P Dual is now the racquet-to-go for me. Great one, love it!

Hope, this help....cheers gd!

Kal-El 34
11-14-2012, 06:33 PM
send me a message i can answer any questions you may have!

based on what you have said the gold is where you are leaning, but don't sleep on the silver either.... we sell a lot more silver where I am at than the gold... a little more free power

JackB1
11-14-2012, 07:05 PM
TripleB might become the first person to switch to a new racquet and then switch again without ever having used it. This is bizarre; forget about racquets for awhile, get into something else for now.

TripleB makes my racquet habit look normal. :-)

TripleB
11-15-2012, 03:54 AM
based on what you have said the gold is where you are leaning, but don't sleep on the silver either.... we sell a lot more silver where I am at than the gold... a little more free power

When I first started looking at the Donnay racquets I will say it was the Gold 99 that first got my attention.

But as I looked at them more, and took a look at the customization kit available, the Silver started looking more like a better choice. I could start with the lighter weight Silver and then add weight to it until I got it the way I wanted. I'm afraid that with the Gold at 11.5 ounces, if I didn't like it stock, by the time I added weight to it then it would be a little more stick than I cared to handle.

After looking at the Silver I thought I would also throw the X-P Dual Black 102 in there as well since it might make a nice 'base' racquet to add some weight to. However it looks as though the Donnay Customization Kit is not longer available at T-W.

I'm still having pain in my right elbow even though I haven't played in over a month, so 'comfort' may become an important category for me.

Thank you for your input.

TripleB

Kal-El 34
11-15-2012, 06:35 AM
i would give the silver a go... if you can't track down a weight kit let me know i can help you out there. i wasn't a fan of the 102 as it felt a bit too unstable to me. I feel all the Donnay's play rather comfortable, but that is debated between lots of people who play them. They are kind of a love it or hate it frame

TripleB
11-15-2012, 08:18 AM
if you can't track down a weight kit let me know i can help you out there.

Brittany just let me know in the TW Questions part of the Message Boards that they expect to get some in on December 9th...I appreciate all your help!

TripleB

kc571
11-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Gold 99 will be your choice.
It has great control, spin, feel, comfort, and stability.
You can easily customize it to add more power as you know.
You might consider Prince EXO3 Tour 16x18 for spin and comfort but it has lack of stability.
I recently purchased Bio F3.0 Tour. Spin is not that great compared to other 2 rackets.

Interesting...i'm demo'ing both the gold and f3.0 right now. the f3.0 has more power and depth. it feels much more solid than the gold. the gold has more feel, easier at the net, and seems to be easier on the arm. the tour has silk in it. and the gold has nxt in the crosses and a blue string in the mains. I wish i could try both with the same strings to get a true feeling. What are your comparisons?

SJSA
11-15-2012, 01:14 PM
I agreed with most of your opinions except solid part for F3.0 Tour.
It feels hollow and Gold has more solid feel.

stringtight
11-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Hey TripleB, I have been demoing the Pro One 16x19, Silver99, Gold99 and XP-dual 102 Black. The Gold99 in the most arm friendly of the bunch. In fact, it's the most arm friendly racquet I have ever hit. That said, I am having a problem hitting the ball short with the Gold99. This may may be due to the increased spin i'm getting on the ball. I have the 10 gr. butt cap and slide weights at 3,9 and 12. I actually cut the slide weights in half. So only using 1/2 a slide weight at each position. I like all the Donnay racquets so far. I'm not sure which I will get yet, but I am leaning toward the Gold99. Just feels like heaven when I hit the ball! Even on miss hits! I also have elbow issues and the Gold 99 never hurts my elbow! The others are soft, but slightly more harsh on off center hits.

When I first started looking at the Donnay racquets I will say it was the Gold 99 that first got my attention.

But as I looked at them more, and took a look at the customization kit available, the Silver started looking more like a better choice. I could start with the lighter weight Silver and then add weight to it until I got it the way I wanted. I'm afraid that with the Gold at 11.5 ounces, if I didn't like it stock, by the time I added weight to it then it would be a little more stick than I cared to handle.

After looking at the Silver I thought I would also throw the X-P Dual Black 102 in there as well since it might make a nice 'base' racquet to add some weight to. However it looks as though the Donnay Customization Kit is not longer available at T-W.

I'm still having pain in my right elbow even though I haven't played in over a month, so 'comfort' may become an important category for me.

Thank you for your input.

TripleB

TripleB
11-16-2012, 04:32 AM
That said, I am having a problem hitting the ball short with the Gold99. I like all the Donnay racquets so far. I'm not sure which I will get yet, but I am leaning toward the Gold99. Just feels like heaven when I hit the ball! Even on miss hits! I also have elbow issues and the Gold 99 never hurts my elbow! The others are soft, but slightly more harsh on off center hits.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I haven't tried any of them yet but "on paper" I might be leaning towards the Silver to get that extra bit of pop and then use the weights to customize it to the weight of my liking. One of my concerns is that the Gold is already 11.5 ounces so to keep it in my target weight range I wouldn't be able to customize it very much, if at all.

I never really had elbow problems in the past but ever since I spent some time with the TT Warrior Midplus a year or two ago my right elbow has been a bit tender. Haven't played tennis in over a month now and it's still tender just from doing everyday tasks (of course traveling around on crutches all the times doesn't seem to be helping it any either).

Again, thanks for your comments.

TripleB

AR15
11-16-2012, 05:15 AM
I played with the silver for several months, and moved to the XP, which is my current racquet. I haven't tried the others on your list.

I like the Donnays because I think they are uniquely arm friendly compared to any other racquets I've hit. I never have any elbow pain, and rarely have any arm soreness compared to other brands.

I also like the thin beams, although for me it's probably more of a mental thing.

XP vs. Silver? For me, the XP 102 Black seems to have a bit more pop. I serve better with it too (get more balls in).

One problem with the silver is how fragile it is. I do not abuse my racquets by deliberately hitting things (other than balls). However, during my serve follow through, my silver slipped out of my sweaty hand onto the court (rubico soft court) and the frame cracked all the way through. I don't think the racquet hit the ground very hard as I was even trying to catch it as it left my slippery hand. I don't think the XP would have cracked in the same situation.

gd!
11-16-2012, 09:34 AM
One problem with the silver is how fragile it is. I do not abuse my racquets by deliberately hitting things (other than balls). However, during my serve follow through, my silver slipped out of my sweaty hand onto the court (rubico soft court) and the frame cracked all the way through...

I have had the same experience one time with the X-Red, but luckily nothing happened to the frame. Joyful one, but to much swing weight against heavy hitting opponents.

I played with the silver for several months, and moved to the XP, which is my current racquet...For me, the XP 102 Black seems to have a bit more pop. I serve better with it too (get more balls in).

Agree on the power but yet it is very controlable power, and serving is great.
Let the OP make his own experience, looking into his racquet history on this board, we should not worry too much the time will come, that he will appreciate the strengths of X-P Dual :razz:

TripleB
11-16-2012, 10:34 AM
I played with the silver for several months, and moved to the XP, which is my current racquet. I haven't tried the others on your list.

I like the Donnays because I think they are uniquely arm friendly compared to any other racquets I've hit. I never have any elbow pain, and rarely have any arm soreness compared to other brands.

I also like the thin beams, although for me it's probably more of a mental thing.

XP vs. Silver? For me, the XP 102 Black seems to have a bit more pop. I serve better with it too (get more balls in).

Did you use any weight customization with the Silver or XP Black 102? If so, what was your favorite set up?

I was hoping to stay under 22mm for the width (mental thing with me as well) and notice that the XP Black 102 is 23mm in some spots...where is this racquet the widest? Does it "play like a wider bodied racquet?"

Is the Black just as friendly on the arm as the Silver? I see the specs say it is slightly more flexy but I was just wondering if the lighter weight might cause stability problems with shock being translated to the arm.

Thanks for your input!

Agree on the power but yet it is very controlable power, and serving is great.
Let the OP make his own experience, looking into his racquet history on this board, we should not worry too much the time will come, that he will appreciate the strengths of X-P Dual :razz:

Thanks for the input...do you find the X-P Black 102 to be arm friendly as well? The longer I go without playing tennis and still having my elbow hurt, the more I think that 'arm friendliness' is the most important factor in my next racquet.

Yea...hopefully these racquets are still around when I'm able to get back out on a tennis court - June 2013. If they go super cheap before then I may just have to purchase one (along with the Customization Kit) and go with it. :)

TripleB

tennismonkey
11-16-2012, 10:48 AM
i tried all three before i settled on the silver. gold to me was the most solid but also felt a little sluggish. x-dual 102 played the most tweener-ish for me. wasn't convinced it would hold up to heavy hitting without a lot more weight. the silver was right in the middle weight wise and gave me room to either play with it stock or use the customization kits to bring up the weight.

i'm currently enjoying 0+ gram buttcap with 3 gram weight slide at 12 o'clock. using one overgrip. notice a lot more power and less vibration on shots near the top of the hoop. also tried and loved the 5+ gram buttcap and slides at 3 and 9 -- but only for baseline bashing. a huge amount more pop and stability.

comfort wise i found all three donnays to be really comfortable. but none of them were as arm friendly as the exo3 tour. but all three donnays also had a lot better feel and feedback. no more mushy response.

NLBwell
11-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Once again, for you I recommend the POG.
It is calling you back!

AR15
11-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Did you use any weight customization with the Silver or XP Black 102? If so, what was your favorite set up?

I was hoping to stay under 22mm for the width (mental thing with me as well) and notice that the XP Black 102 is 23mm in some spots...where is this racquet the widest? Does it "play like a wider bodied racquet?"

Is the Black just as friendly on the arm as the Silver? I see the specs say it is slightly more flexy but I was just wondering if the lighter weight might cause stability problems with shock being translated to the arm.

Thanks for your input!

Thanks for the input...do you find the X-P Black 102 to be arm friendly as well? The longer I go without playing tennis and still having my elbow hurt, the more I think that 'arm friendliness' is the most important factor in my next racquet.

I plan to try the weights on the XP again. The short hitting session I had with the weights at 3 and 9 seemed to make the frame's swing weight much heavier.

Yea...hopefully these racquets are still around when I'm able to get back out on a tennis court - June 2013. If they go super cheap before then I may just have to purchase one (along with the Customization Kit) and go with it. :)

TripleB

Yes, I have experimented with the weights on both frames. I find I like the XP 102 stock with no weights. My fav combination with the silver was to leave the stock butt grip weight, but use one weight strip at the top of the frame.

gd!
11-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I got mine in mint condition for 100 Euros, though it has grip 3 while I usually use grip 2. Had to reduce it by using a Prince ResiThin base grip. Using a + 5g butt cap and I add about 2g of lead tape in the racquet head only if I switch to a Co-Poly below 1.25; currently I prefer a 1.15mm edged which will be released mid Dec.
For stability it is not required to add lead to the head, just my experience.
For the thinner X-Dual frames, does these come along with 1g strips @ 3/9 + 2g strip @12 like the X-Series frames did? I am talking of these installed strips in same color than grommet. For any Donnay racquet I own or tried, I did not prefer any 3g strip from the customization kit.

kaiser
11-19-2012, 02:59 AM
Can anyone give me some feedback (power, control, spin potential, feel, etc.) on these Donnay Racquets:

- X-Dual Gold 99

- X-Dual Silver 99

- X-P Dual Black 102

Iím trying to find a thinner beamed (<23mm) racquet that offers excellent spin potential, is easy on the arm (still having some arm pain even though I havenít played tennis in over a month), gives spot on control, decent power, is between 96-102 sq in, standard length, and weighs between 10.9 and 11.5 ounces strung. 4.0 baseline singles player, looking to transition to the net more, and will be playing much more doubles.

Others Iíve considered are the Head MicroGel Radical MP, Dunlop AG 4D 300 Tour, and Dunlop Bio F3.0 Tour but tend to shy away from 18x20 string patterns. The Mantis Tour 305 but havenít heard a great deal about Mantis racquets. And the X-Feel Tour from Pacific but really haven't found a Pacific (or Fischer) racquet I've liked in the past. Plus I like the easy customization of the Donnay XDual Racquets.

Thank you for any help.

TripleB

BTW, recent racquets: Wilson BLX Pro Open, Dunlop AG 4D 200 Tour, Dunlop AG 4D 300, Babolat Pure Drive Cortex

Hi Tony, our preferences in rackets are remarkably similar! I've been playing with the 4D 200 Tour for almost 3 years now and, in combination with regular coaching, my strokes have improved considerably. Now, however, I'm beginning to wonder if I could get some easier head speed from a slightly lighter swinging racket without losing too much of the solid plow through of the 200 Tour. I'm also biased to open-patterned, narrow beamed rackets and am particularly interested in the Donnay Gold. Personally, I would also add the PS 95 BLX to your list, even if it would probably need some lead tape, and I heard that pvaudio has made a happy switch from the 200 Tour to the Prestige Pro.

I'm very interested in how this thread will develop!

kaiser
11-19-2012, 03:02 AM
send me a message i can answer any questions you may have!

Kal-El, don't worry about bothering the rest of us with your insights! :)

Kal-El 34
11-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Kal-El, don't worry about bothering the rest of us with your insights! :)

haha man i've been busy lately so i don't like just leaving the board hanging for awhile. Just easier in this case to go e-mail route so i don't miss anything. I posted reviews of all frames except the 102's so far. I may have some time this week and will get some more reviews out there.

SFrazeur
11-19-2012, 10:39 AM

I agree. I think the guy has a problem.

-SF

TripleB
11-19-2012, 03:19 PM
I posted reviews of all frames except the 102's so far. I may have some time this week and will get some more reviews out there.

Awesome...would love to hear your thoughts on the Black 102...of the Donnays the Silver 99 and the Black 102 are the two I'm most interested in because they leave me some room for customization and I believe they both have a little more pop than the Gold 99.

Thanks for the input.

TripleB

kaiser
11-21-2012, 12:50 AM
haha man i've been busy lately so i don't like just leaving the board hanging for awhile. Just easier in this case to go e-mail route so i don't miss anything. I posted reviews of all frames except the 102's so far. I may have some time this week and will get some more reviews out there.

I've searched this forum top to bottom, but athough I did find a review by you of the Gold 94, I couldn't find one of the Gold 99. I've seen an ad for a used Gold 99 + customization kit, so I'd be very interested in your assesment of this stick. I'm looking for something a bit more zippy and forgiving than my current Dunlop 200 Tours, but with similar solidity and stability. Playing on clay, spin is important.

Clemsonfan
11-21-2012, 03:29 AM
I am demoing the XP Dual Black and Silver right now. Liked the 102 so much I used it at state 4.0 singles in place of my PDGT Cortex.

Both are easy on the arm and I have a torn shoulder labrum. The Silver is great for serving, perhaps the most powerful and accurate i have used since returning to tennis after a 22- year layoff and both are great at the other shots. I prefer to play at the net and currently like the XP Dual Black more for volleys which tips the scales in its favor.

That said I hope to test the Silver more this week. In any case I like all of the Donnays i am testing better than my current racquet in terms of comfort and shot depth- and that includes the Formula 100!

MAXXply
11-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Longtime racketaholic here who shares the OP's curiosity about the Donnay range. Demos aren't available in my area. Before I pull the trigger, can anyone advise their experiences about the Donnay gripshapes? I prefer the blocky shape of Wilson/Prince grips. I don't like the flatter HEAD shape. Where does the Donnay sit in terms of gripshape? The white perforated grips as fitted look deceptively thin. I play a 3/8 POG with one overgip.

zapvor
11-21-2012, 06:53 PM
the grip size is fine. you get used to it. donnays are so sweet still looking for 2 more

counterpuncher
11-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Before I pull the trigger, can anyone advise their experiences about the Donnay gripshapes? I prefer the blocky shape of Wilson/Prince grips. I don't like the flatter HEAD shape. Where does the Donnay sit in terms of gripshape?

It sort of sits between a Dunlop and a Wilson so you won't have an issue. Sizes run pretty much the same as Wilson.

ChicagoJack
11-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Hi TripleB,

FYI, Donnay is having a black Friday-Monday, buy one get one free sale on two frames. the XP Dual Black 102 (Orange grommets, Agassi, Courier frame) and the XP Dual Lite (White grommets).

I play tested the XP Dual Black 102, alongside the Pro One 16x19 for several weeks. The XP Dual is a really nice racquet imo. The distinguishing features are low swingweight, easy access to spin, and of course comfort. Low swingweight and headsizes in the 99-102 range always give me a little boost of extra confidence with my heavy topspin 1 handed backhand. Seems like its a bit easier to make little timing adjustments mid swing and I dont worry about shanking as much, and that allows me to focus on where to hit it, rather than how to hit it a little bit more.

In stock form I think it would be awesome for an advanced grinding baseliner who likes a low powered frame. You know, the kind of grinder guy who shows up to a tourny with an ancient Fischer Fiberglass and just hits 20-30 loopers, hitting with a ton of spin, a high margin for error, until you just loose your cookies mentally.

I think it would also be awesome for intermediate doubles league players. At that level, second serves are often weak, yet there's a lot of decent forehands. The returner will often gobble up those weak 2nd serves, and send em right to the net man's navel. A light 102 evens the odds a bit for the often bruised and battered net player.

Players with a tweak freak streak can look at the low weight, the 61 ra flex and see it as an undiscovered gem for customization. It's solid core so silicone is not an option, but there is the +5, and +10 buttcap, plus you can fit up to four 5g weight slides on the hoop. (two on the tip, and two at 3-9)

If not for my borderline obsessive love affair with the P1, (I just ordered another 6 lol) I'd mostly likely be playing a leaded up XP Dual 102. If they made a 62ra Pro One, with a 99-102 sq in head, in a 16x18 pattern, (or even a 16x15 ala the Wilson 99s) that would be just about the most fun I could have with my clothes on.

-Jack

MAXXply
11-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Has anyone tried both the Platinum 99 and Gold 99? What did you think?

My default stick is the POG Mid and am happy to play heavy on any racket provided the balance remains significantly headlight. I'm torn between the Platinum and Gold and wonder what your experiences were between the two in terms of swingweight, plowthrough and balance?

counterpuncher
11-22-2012, 03:24 PM
If you add the heaviest butt cap to the Gold 99 (or other weight to the handle), then the specs (weight & balance) would be almost identical to the Platinum 99, making swingweight and plowthrough almost identical. The main difference between the two would then be the string pattern. If you are coming from a POG mid I would think that you'd be leaning towards the Gold.

rst
12-27-2012, 07:34 PM
i have hit the and still hit with the no longer produced x-yellow 99 and i now have to new xd silver lites 99 that i am about to get strung up.

the silver lites seem very close to the yellow in weight and feel.

i string these lightwieght donnays at lower tension (50 to 52) for better energy return and find that they are quick and maneuverable in the wrist with a comfortable feel.

a super heavy bit will shake them a bit but not too bad against loosey-goosey strings.

because i have longer hands i have to place two layers of ductape, two gamma overgrips and then a gamma hi-tec grip on a 4-5/8 grip to get it where i want it and this adds some weight to the handle end of these lightweight rackets. since i hit a flat forehand i find this helpful. my rackets are probably near the x-silver weight with all the wrapping.

i think the thin x donnays are great rackets and would hate to see them go.