PDA

View Full Version : Teaching: 6yr. old girl w/ bloddy nose

PrimeChoice
11-14-2012, 07:27 AM
This guy was feeding balls today and I noticed this sweet innocent child just standing there without a clue of what to do with a tennis racquet. So he just kept feeding her balls right in the center of her racquet. One of the balls slipped! Bamm! Smashed right in the childs face. At first she was sad a little, but the she noticed the blood, & tears began to pour down her face.

I wonder if she'll come back?

Mongolmike
11-14-2012, 08:39 AM
If she can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. She is obviously not suited for net play, and will probably develop into a no-good smelly moonballer.

lol... I crack myself up....

PrimeChoice
11-14-2012, 08:54 AM
there was so much blood bra! I'm glad it's over.

Mongolmike
11-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Probably scared the crap out of her... too bad. Time will tell if that is a game ender for her or not. Most of the time when that happens to a little boy, the dad will tell him in different ways to suck it up and get back out there. Little girls don't quite respond to that tactic the same way.

sureshs
11-14-2012, 09:50 AM
She needs to face Karlovic's serve.

Torres
11-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Shouldn't a 6 year old be using green or orange balls?

maverick66
11-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Shouldn't a 6 year old be using green or orange balls?

I am nearing 30 and even I had foam balls when I was 6. I thought it was more popular these days as opposed to out of style.

sureshs
11-14-2012, 10:50 AM
This thread needs to be sent to the USTA brass. They would be excited to know that the Quickstart balls can now be touted as having an added benefit - reducing injuries inflicted by coaches :-) Hope PMac is reading this thread.

CoachingMastery
11-14-2012, 12:55 PM
If a kid is clueless about racquet control and spacial awareness, the pro should NEVER have been feeding balls towards the student. This is a common but horribly wrong way to establish tennis for kids or adults who don't yet understand the game to the point of recognizing the direction balls are moving.

Drop fed balls for kids is a must at this stage. Not only do they develop a desired swing quicker, (because they are not focused on trying to decipher where a ball is coming from and to), they learn to make much more solid contact. Not to mention it eliminates such calamities. (What would have happened to the kid had the ball hit them in the eye?)

I see pros and parents all the time try to teach tennis using the wrong progressions.

Coach Chad
11-14-2012, 02:54 PM
If a kid is clueless about racquet control and spacial awareness, the pro should NEVER have been feeding balls towards the student. This is a common but horribly wrong way to establish tennis for kids or adults who don't yet understand the game to the point of recognizing the direction balls are moving.

Drop fed balls for kids is a must at this stage. Not only do they develop a desired swing quicker, (because they are not focused on trying to decipher where a ball is coming from and to), they learn to make much more solid contact. Not to mention it eliminates such calamities. (What would have happened to the kid had the ball hit them in the eye?)

I see pros and parents all the time try to teach tennis using the wrong progressions.

I agree 100%...accidents happen; this one should not have.