PDA

View Full Version : practice match vid-20121115

tonygao
11-14-2012, 08:40 PM
to see if all the drills I did really makes me a little bit better or not, I played a practice match this morning and filmed it.

please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uphgYHuxvso&feature=youtu.be

btw,I do find a few areas I need to work on urgently by myself. but please give me more advice through your more experienced eyes.:)

11-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Your control suffers, because it seems that none of the contact points for your
various shots are out front.
You let every ball get out to your side or straight over your head. This plays
havoc on balance, power, and control.
And don't try overheads on those medium bouncers near the baseline.
There is really no upside there.

First thing you need to fix is to get all the contact points out front a bit, except
maybe the kick serve or some other specialty shots.

Cheetah
11-14-2012, 09:57 PM
How about drinking 2 cans of red bull before you play? And one 5 hour energy drink.
And then play whoever loses buys lunch.

Sky_Boy
11-14-2012, 10:46 PM
5:13 Approach shots have to be well hit.. try hitting at the corners.. DTL approach shots r usually the better option as it penetrates the court

Sky_Boy
11-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Have many yrs have u been playing btw? my guess is somewhere in between 3-5 yrs

tonygao
11-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Have many yrs have u been playing btw? my guess is somewhere in between 3-5 yrs

3 years and two months, since I seriously started to play tennis.

tonygao
11-14-2012, 11:15 PM
5:13 Approach shots have to be well hit.. try hitting at the corners.. DTL approach shots r usually the better option as it penetrates the court

yes, I was a bit jammed by that ball. this is always an issue for me, not placing myself well to allow enough room. I need to work on it more.

donnygg
11-15-2012, 01:07 AM
At some instances, your contact point should be more out front as 5263 suggested but be careful not to hit too far in front either as that can cause problem too. In general, hitting in line with your front foot is a good rule of thumb. However, I think you have some problem with the consistency of your contact point, particularly on your forehand. Sometimes you were lunging forward and sometimes leaning backwards. Move your feet and use small adjusting steps to get into your striking zone and stand your ground. I thought the forehand crosscourt on the run at 13:00 was very good. Weight was on the outside leg to begin with, pushed off from that leg and landed with weight forward. This new video by FYB also touched on loading the outside leg and pushing off it which I find very useful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QgXkhwRzr_0

I think you have some of the problems shown by the example at 31:50. Also, you would sometimes load correctly on the outside leg but instead of pushing off, you pivot about that leg. E.g. the rally starting at 3:02, you hit a few pretty decent forehands. At 3:27, the setup was pretty good but as you strike the ball, you pivot about your right leg and your left leg ended up at the back. Look at Roddick and Verdasco in the FYB video around 11:00. They would push off the outside leg and rotate but keep their inside leg in front. That keeps their weight forward instead of leaning back. Andy Murray at 13:20 may have his left leg behind him in the end but that's because he pushed off his right leg and his right leg came in front.

11-15-2012, 05:32 AM
At some instances, your contact point should be more out front as 5263 suggested but be careful not to hit too far in front either as that can cause problem too.

I agree....to much either way can be a problem.
He just seemed really intent on hitting at his side on what
I watched.

86golf
11-15-2012, 06:43 AM
You seem to guide your forehand. I think you could actually improve your consistency if you increased your racquet head speed. Your swing path doesn't match your racquet head speed. I'd like to see you pull the buttcap to the ball more. On your serve, you really need to move it around some more. You seem to serve to the same spot first and second serves.

11-15-2012, 06:51 AM
I'd like to see you pull the buttcap to the ball more.

This is hand in hand with the contact point problem. He can't pull the buttcap
and use his current contact point. You have to hit more out front if you want to
pull the racket correctly.
Good thing you point out here though as there are several aspects to this.