PDA

View Full Version : pure storm tour gt or pure storm ltd ??

CesarMorales92
11-15-2012, 05:58 PM
I want to know what are your views with these frames and experiences
I'm a pure storm tour gt user but I have been laying eyes on the ltd and have played and tested for a while.
Only downfall on the tour is serve I can't serve flat or high kicks compare to other ..... and that my only downfall even if I tension it at 40 lbs
But i want to your views
Thanks !!

parasailing
11-15-2012, 07:44 PM
I assume you are referring to the ltd gt which i think is more in line with the traditional racquets since it is a 95 sq inch and I feel plays more like a pro staff.

I tried both when I first looked into this line and just felt the Tour offered more spin production than the ltd.

The only downside from using the tour is that it is not the best racquet for serving but otherwise it does everything else really well.

CesarMorales92
11-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Yea the GT
Or the regular ltd( not GT) is fine

darklore009
11-15-2012, 07:55 PM
the ltd has no power for me. i had to hit hard to get my shots in. but my serves is better with it than the tour. The tour played well for me all around.

CesarMorales92
11-15-2012, 08:26 PM
the ltd has no power for me. i had to hit hard to get my shots in. but my serves is better with it than the tour. The tour played well for me all around.

What was the tension on the ltd ??
I usually string most of my rackets at 38 - 40 lbs

darklore009
11-15-2012, 08:29 PM
i had a friend that has both actually. the tour is the 2011 and the ltd is a 2009. he strings it around high tension. while i do mines around 50-45. but after you mention that you put your low, i would have take back what i said. I string his rackets for him and he does it at 55ibs for ltd with tour bites

KenC
11-15-2012, 09:24 PM
the PST has a high SW which is a detriment on the serve. I usually used the PSLGT but pulled out the PSTs when I needed a boost in power. The PSLGT is a serve monster because the SW is so low and you can really rip the racquet through the swing.

The PSLGT plays well at low tensions with multis so there is a little more power to be had there. I had both in my bag until I started getting a little TE and have since changed to the PK Ki5 which seems to be right in the middle between the PST and the PSLGT.

richsox
11-15-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm following this thread with ineterest, as I am "in the mood" for a transition from being a Pure Drive user for over 10 years. I plan on demoing the PS Tour and I'm looking for it to give me the same ability for maintaining my only real weapon in tennis - my 1st pacey serve, with kicker 2nd.

What I hope to gain is better control with it than using my PD's. I feel my game has moved beyond an all-out power only racket like the PD's. I need more feel.

I plan on demo-ing the below:

1. Technifibre 305 (in demo now--so far so good - ish, simliar service power, but more control on groundies)

2. Pure Storm Tour

3. Pure Drive Roddick (again) - I know it's a contradiction to the above!

4. 2013 AeroProdrive

PKfan1
11-15-2012, 11:29 PM
I don't think you are going to find the same serving success with the PST, but on the ground I find much more control. Especially depth control. I think the Roddick has more control than the standard as well while still being a serving monster. Same with APD. The ultimate is the LTD though. It serves bombs and with groundies and volleys it is ridiculous how much control you can get. The only thing is that it's a huge drop in power from the PD and the feel is completely different.

colan5934
11-15-2012, 11:30 PM
I would do an extended demo and play the same players with each racket you're considering. I did the same thing with a Pure Storm, Pure Storm Tour, Pure Storm Tour Plus, and Pure Drive Roddick. I had used all except the plus before and was using the Roddick at the time because I fell in love with the power. I won the most matches, sets, and games with the Pure Storm Tour Plus. The one racket that stood out the least when I demoed it just hitting or not really paying attention to how well I did.

richsox
11-15-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't think you are going to find the same serving success with the PST, but on the ground I find much more control. Especially depth control. I think the Roddick has more control than the standard as well while still being a serving monster. Same with APD. The ultimate is the LTD though. It serves bombs and with groundies and volleys it is ridiculous how much control you can get. The only thing is that it's a huge drop in power from the PD and the feel is completely different.

Yeah I also worry about the extra weight, which I fear in a 3rd set could make me a bit sluggish on my serving. I also though the LtD was way too much stick for me, with aminute seewtspot, and ideally suited to guys who were almost pro's! But it has always intrigued me....maybe I should try the Ltd too,...mmmmm

I would do an extended demo and play the same players with each racket you're considering. I did the same thing with a Pure Storm, Pure Storm Tour, Pure Storm Tour Plus, and Pure Drive Roddick. I had used all except the plus before and was using the Roddick at the time because I fell in love with the power. I won the most matches, sets, and games with the Pure Storm Tour Plus. The one racket that stood out the least when I demoed it just hitting or not really paying attention to how well I did.

I did used to play plus rackets, but I simply found they were not quite as manouverable for me on a lot of approach shots, but they did rock on baseline bashing for sure. Like you, I agree that the Pure storm is a bit of a sleeper range of babolat and well underated by most amateurs, and weekend warriors

richsox
11-16-2012, 12:42 AM
PKfan1

I just ordered a PS Ltd GT to try as well!

can't wait get it!

Cheers

parasailing
11-16-2012, 08:33 PM
the PST has a high SW which is a detriment on the serve. I usually used the PSLGT but pulled out the PSTs when I needed a boost in power. The PSLGT is a serve monster because the SW is so low and you can really rip the racquet through the swing.

The PSLGT plays well at low tensions with multis so there is a little more power to be had there. I had both in my bag until I started getting a little TE and have since changed to the PK Ki5 which seems to be right in the middle between the PST and the PSLGT.

I had the Pro Kennex 5Ki and that felt a bit more hollow or tinny compared to the PSTGT. I prefer the original Pro Kennex 5G SMI version which was more solid than the 5Ki.

The only downside of the PSTGT is serving.

colan5934
11-17-2012, 09:30 AM
I did used to play plus rackets, but I simply found they were not quite as manouverable for me on a lot of approach shots, but they did rock on baseline bashing for sure. Like you, I agree that the Pure storm is a bit of a sleeper range of babolat and well underated by most amateurs, and weekend warriors

Yeah, not trying to recommend the plus. I'm just saying that the best way to know which one is best for you, as you seem to have it narrowed down to two rackets, the LTD and the Tour, is to play them both for two or three weeks in match play against the same players and see which one you get better results with. It's not necessarily which one feels the best, or the stick you like hitting with the most, unless one hurts your arm, of course, but it's the the racket that gives you the best results in the win column and scoreline that is the one I would choose.

CesarMorales92
11-17-2012, 02:23 PM

I'm planning on the ltd gt so I will make the switch and I tension it at 38-40
I overall play better with a k90 butcher ltd seemsway more forgiving on stiffness
Well if you plan on selling your ltds let me know haha

CesarMorales92
11-17-2012, 02:24 PM
PKfan1

I just ordered a PS Ltd GT to try as well!

can't wait get it!

Cheers

Let me know how it treats you since I might make the switch :)

CesarMorales92
11-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Also does the grip size feel like a Wilson or prince because I use 1/4 or 1/8 grip size or do I have to go smaller with the ltd ???