PDA

View Full Version : Midsize racket users

MikeHitsHard93
11-15-2012, 08:33 PM
These rackets intrigue me. What are some of the easiest mids to adjust to/ most forgiving? Which ones are your favorites?

Migelowsky
11-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I love the Dunlop Aerogel 4D 200,
check the review

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/D4D2/D4D2Review.html

martini1
11-15-2012, 08:36 PM
The Wilson 90 line aka the Federer sticks. Large sweet spot for a mid and easy to use after you got used to it.

SFrazeur
11-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Mids with the largest sweetspot would be Yonex. At lest the RDX, RDS, RDiS mids felt larger than Wilson Tour 90 mids.

-SF

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I love the Dunlop Aerogel 4D 200,
check the review

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/D4D2/D4D2Review.html

That's not a mid.

darklore009
11-15-2012, 08:53 PM
i say either the dunlop 100s or the fed 90s

sansaephanh
11-15-2012, 09:33 PM
By word of mouth I've heard good this about Yonex 100s(isometric head), Wilson 90s(PWS), and Dunlop100s. I don't know what makes the d100s forgiving, but i've only known it by word of mouth

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-15-2012, 09:40 PM
BLX ProStaff 90 and Prestige Classic 600 felt pretty easy to me. But I'm used to heavier rackets... Soooooooo...

Favorites would be a PS85 from Chicago or SV and the K90.

anirut
11-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Easiest one to adjust to, I don't know. May be the PS85.

But the hard one would be Pacific 90. But if you're able to consistently hit the center, fit and quick to play like an all-court player, it's sheer bliss, esp with the right string set up.

MikeHitsHard93
11-15-2012, 09:53 PM
The only mid I have ever used was the PS 90 BLX. I liked pretty much everything about it. Although, I didn't play a match with it. Since the spin window is still pretty big with these, do you really think it would be that hard to switch from a tweener? 100->90 really that hard? I can handle the weight

MikeHitsHard93
11-15-2012, 09:56 PM
As for sw, I can handle up to about 335-340ish

roundiesee
11-15-2012, 10:18 PM
The only mid I have ever used was the PS 90 BLX. I liked pretty much everything about it. Although, I didn't play a match with it. Since the spin window is still pretty big with these, do you really think it would be that hard to switch from a tweener? 100->90 really that hard? I can handle the weight

You should get a pair then, :) I don't think it is that difficult to play with compared to your tweener, especially if you can handle the weight. The sweetspot on the BLXPS90 isn't that small. Good luck!

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-15-2012, 10:21 PM

It's hard if you let your mind believe so. Otherwise, there's nothing prohibitive about using a mid.

latershow
11-16-2012, 03:48 AM
I seem to find the sweetspot really consistently with Wilson 90's, the shape is just perfect for me. The Pacific 90 is glorious to play with when you are on your game but yes, they are not easy to play with at all. I found the Head Prestige Mid to be quite easy to get into a groove with, not as intuitive as the Wilson's, but much easier to adjust to than the Pacific. I would start with the Federer racket, cant go wrong with that one.

martini1
11-16-2012, 03:52 AM
Don't expect to play it with pure top spin like some tweener sticks. You can get TS but for a mid you can also do some flat drives. Drop shots are also great with a mid.

The main draw back is the lack of emergency power when on defense. You will also need to perform the right posture on volleys and serves. Can't just take a big cut and hope the racket will bring the ball over deep. Other than these things mids are just as great. You will get tons of feel, plow thru, and control.

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 04:12 AM
Just swing at the ball, and watch it go. No big deal about it.

As long as you are strong enough to keep the racquet tip pointed up you are fine. (This shouldn't be a problem for anyone over age 12)

J

fuzz nation
11-16-2012, 04:38 AM
These rackets intrigue me. What are some of the easiest mids to adjust to/ most forgiving? Which ones are your favorites?

I've tried a few myself and it seemed that any of the mids that were good 'n hefty also had a decent degree of forgiveness. I haven't sampled any of the middle-weight Dunlop 100's, but a couple of my mids have weighed in at 13.0 oz. or even more (I have a couple of leaded up "trainers" that weigh 13.4 oz.).

Yonex racquets seem to have an inherently wider sweet-spot and some players here who have used their mids have offered that those frames play more like a traditional (oval shaped) mid-plus. I've only used their older MP Tour-1 mid, but the sweet-spot on that racquet definitely wasn't elusive for me.

A few years back, I happened upon a Prince NXG mid and found a very good "fit" with that racquet. The weight, balance, and extra flex made for a recipe that clicked with me right out of the box. Despite the smaller head size, it was much easier for me to put the ball in the heart of the string bed with that racquet than just about any other 95"-100" frame I had used. No mystery - that's why we demo, right? We know a good fit when we feel it.

One thing that can chase the forgiveness out of a mid in a hurry (for me) is the wrong string tension. I'm usually much more aware of a harsh or dead string bed in a mid when I string it a little too snug than with maybe a 98" hoop. Just something to keep in mind if you get to trying different mids.

J011yroger
11-16-2012, 05:21 AM
Excellent point Fuzz. Mids are fickle *****es when it comes to string type and tension.

J

MikeHitsHard93
11-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Just curious, but why did everyone here start using a mid/when? And which Wilson mid is the easiest/ best in your opinion?

MikeHitsHard93
11-16-2012, 03:20 PM
I've tried a few myself and it seemed that any of the mids that were good 'n hefty also had a decent degree of forgiveness. I haven't sampled any of the middle-weight Dunlop 100's, but a couple of my mids have weighed in at 13.0 oz. or even more (I have a couple of leaded up "trainers" that weigh 13.4 oz.).

Yonex racquets seem to have an inherently wider sweet-spot and some players here who have used their mids have offered that those frames play more like a traditional (oval shaped) mid-plus. I've only used their older MP Tour-1 mid, but the sweet-spot on that racquet definitely wasn't elusive for me.

A few years back, I happened upon a Prince NXG mid and found a very good "fit" with that racquet. The weight, balance, and extra flex made for a recipe that clicked with me right out of the box. Despite the smaller head size, it was much easier for me to put the ball in the heart of the string bed with that racquet than just about any other 95"-100" frame I had used. No mystery - that's why we demo, right? We know a good fit when we feel it.

One thing that can chase the forgiveness out of a mid in a hurry (for me) is the wrong string tension. I'm usually much more aware of a harsh or dead string bed in a mid when I string it a little too snug than with maybe a 98" hoop. Just something to keep in mind if you get to trying different mids.

Thank you for your insight...and it also seems that the aerodynamics of a mid make it just about as fast as a lower sw midplus.

A reason why I want a mid is because I get very lazy with my preparation with a 11oz tweener. I am fairly strong, so I can be lazy. I think I possess fairly good technique and believe that using a mid will just force me to play my best. Not to mention, the sublime precision and control of a mid.

hrstrat57
11-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Going old school, Max 200g the whole thing is a sweetspot...strung at 50# with natty gut = buttah.

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Just curious, but why did everyone here start using a mid/when? And which Wilson mid is the easiest/ best in your opinion?

Mentor/coach had a deal with Head and was able to get his students a discount on Head racquets, so I got a pair of rubber-paint 1st gen i.Prestige Mid.

Didn't know anything about midsize/midplus or what not. And as a young kid, I just played freely so headsize really didn't matter to me, nor did I look into it. Over time, anything bigger than a 90 felt enormous to me.

The 85 is probably the easiest "Wilson mid" to use, because of its low swingweight despite its weight. Trust me, once you get it moving, it doesn't feel heavy at all. And don't let people scare you off with "small sweetspot" nonsense. To those people, I say to them:

Get your timing right.

Crisp
11-16-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm finding the pacific mid ace, come from the blx range to the pacific. 1st stock racquet I have used in more than 5 years. Strings are crucial tho.

Larrysümmers
11-16-2012, 07:11 PM
A mid isn't going to stop you from being lazy any more than a mid plus or oversize. If you're lazy then you're going to leave balls short, and going to sail balls when your technique is just off.

I can relate to you, do your self a favor and get another pro open and stay off the forums for a while. You are over thinking this process when we both know you justwant a shiner new racket.

SoBad
11-16-2012, 07:14 PM
I am not a mid user, but if the world was coming to and end and all midpluses disappeared I would be happy to hit with a PC600 of some sort.

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-16-2012, 07:14 PM
A mid isn't going to stop you from being lazy any more than a mid plus or oversize. If you're lazy then you're going to leave balls short, and going to sail balls when your technique is just off.

I can relate to you, do your self a favor and get another pro open and stay off the forums for a while. You are over thinking this process when we both know you justwant a shiner new racket.

Come now, you know you can't say those words. The game is all about rocking the latest gear. The player doesn't miss a shot, it's the equipment that led to the error or failed tactic. You'd be a fool if you take the time to practice.

MikeHitsHard93
11-16-2012, 07:16 PM

Hahahaha. Well is that totally a bad thing? :D should I just add weight to my pro open then? I don't like the light weight. Love everything else though

anirut
11-16-2012, 07:53 PM
How about grabbing a couple of old school, conventional head woodies to hit for a week or two for 2-3 hours everyday? This will certainly make any racket easy to play, save the really big granny oversize ones. And will really keep your techniques "well-disciplined". You can also use it as a trainer racket once a week or so, too.

And, this way, you're not falling to the nice new shiny racket temptation too. :lol:

MikeHitsHard93
11-16-2012, 07:57 PM
I like your thinking...HOWEVER...I only have one usable racket at the moment, and that's my pro open. It currently is unstrung ever since I broke my strings. I need at least one more racket. So I'm not just buying a new racket for the hell of it. :)

MikeHitsHard93
11-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Come now, you know you can't say those words. The game is all about rocking the latest gear. The player doesn't miss a shot, it's the equipment that led to the error or failed tactic. You'd be a fool if you take the time to practice.

I don't believe in this crap at all unless I'm using a Walmart racket or a 115 or bigger

Fuji
11-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Lets put it this way Mike:

Because of your recent musings on mids, I decided to take my PS90 out for a hit. I played 2 sets against someone I normally take to the cleaners.

The first set I won 6-1 with my normal BLX Blade. Serving went well, game play was nice.

The second set, I won 7-6 in a tie break with the PS90. It didn't offer me the same level of confidence as my Blades do. This is totally on me, but it reinforces the fact that for me at least, mids aren't optimal. Sure I had an absolute blast playing with it serving bombs and hitting sweet volleys, but it doesn't match up to my game well.

For you, mids might match extremely well. I believe we're around the same level within +/- .5 so it's not a bad time to really make a choice to stick with in the long haul.

Grab another Pro Open and a reel of lead tape. I assure you that lead opens up an entire new world of rackets. I've modded almost every single racket I've owned and it makes for a great way to get that shiny new racket feeling way more often. :razz:

-Fuji

MikeHitsHard93
11-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Hmm alright. You make a valid point.

If I add enough weight to my pro open to make it 12oz or so will it give it too much power? I would only add a little to the head and a ton to the grip. Also, my pro opens probably wont match up in weight since I don't have a scale

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Hmm alright. You make a valid point.

If I add enough weight to my pro open to make it 12oz or so will it give it too much power? I would only add a little to the head and a ton to the grip. Also, my pro opens probably wont match up in weight since I don't have a scale

Not if you put it in the handle.

Lead tape doesn't give you all that power, it gives you stability instead.

MikeHitsHard93
11-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Not if you put it in the handle.

Lead tape doesn't give you all that power, it gives you stability instead.

Ok, so after I pull off the base grip, how do I put it back on?

I am going to assume that the SW of my racket is 315 because it was just a little lower than a radical ig mp that I demoed, and that's supposed to have 320. So...I would like to have the SW at 325. How much lead do I put? 10 grams?

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Ok, so after I pull off the base grip, how do I put it back on?

I am going to assume that the SW of my racket is 315 because it was just a little lower than a radical ig mp that I demoed, and that's supposed to have 320. So...I would like to have the SW at 325. How much lead do I put? 10 grams?

Why are you trying to add weight to your frame? I assure you, lead tape and equipment play a minimum role in improving your game. And there's no point to add lead just to say you've got a modified racquet.

As for the grip, you can just re-wrap it as if you were putting on a replacement/overgrip. If it's stapled, then that's even easier, because you don't have to remove the whole grip. Just leave it dangling when you're applying the lead, and then wrap it up again.

As for the swingweight, if I can tell you exactly how much to add, then that means I have a Ph.D in physics, which I do not have. Add until you feel comfortable with the racquet.

Lastly, you should know that the "feel" of swingweight is not universal among all racquets. As in, a SW of 320 in your BLX Pro Open is going to feel different than a Radical with the SW of 320.

If you're going to modify your racquet, don't modify by the numbers, modify by feel.

travlerajm
11-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Of all the racquets I've ever tried in stock form over the years, the O3 Tour mid stands out as the best all-around performer for me.

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Why are you trying to add weight to your frame? I assure you, lead tape and equipment play a minimum role in improving your game. And there's no point to add lead just to say you've got a modified racquet.

As for the grip, you can just re-wrap it as if you were putting on a replacement/overgrip. If it's stapled, then that's even easier, because you don't have to remove the whole grip. Just leave it dangling when you're applying the lead, and then wrap it up again.

As for the swingweight, if I can tell you exactly how much to add, then that means I have a Ph.D in physics, which I do not have. Add until you feel comfortable with the racquet.

Lastly, you should know that the "feel" of swingweight is not universal among all racquets. As in, a SW of 320 in your BLX Pro Open is going to feel different than a Radical with the SW of 320.

If you're going to modify your racquet, don't modify by the numbers, modify by feel.

I want to add lead because I like a heavier feeling racket.

goosala
11-17-2012, 08:48 AM
I like the Dunlop Aerogel 100 with lead tape to give it more heft and stability. Also try demoing the Bio 100 to see if you like.

pkshooter
11-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Since I don't play competitive tennis, I just started using mids for bragging rights. It really hasn't made a difference in my play, the maneuverability helped my one hand backhand doe -also used because it looks cooler. I'm so cool one hander and mid head, I'm just like federer :twisted:

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-17-2012, 02:17 PM
I want to add lead because I like a heavier feeling racket.

If you want your racquets to be heavier, but like the stock balance, put lead at 6 o'clock/throat. Do know that wherever you apply the lead tape, the sweetspot will gravitate in that direction.

sansaephanh
11-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Honestly I started playing with all sorts of 90s. Ceramics, graphites, carbons, etc. I gotta say the best mid i ever played with was a pure white ceramic wilson with red lettering. It just said wilson ceramic. The only reason i switched was because I didn't know wtf i was doing lol. and my 2hbh on a mid didnt shine. Now that I hit a 1hbh, i might look for it again... lol

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 02:41 PM
I really would just like more precision in my game. I don't know how to hit very precise shots from the baseline at the moment, because right now I have to string my racket tight in order to get the level of power that I want out of it and I can't hit a shot with that pinpoint precision that so many other people rave about. Plus I want a heftier racket, which is why I came to the conclusion that a mid or a low powered, hefty MP would be good for me. I don't hit with a ton of topspin, but an average amount and I have a middle-of -the-road FH. Its between modern and classic style. I know that I am just not going to be happy with my decision if I stick with this frame. So, I would like your opinion on that. Thank you.

HEADfamilydynasty
11-17-2012, 02:57 PM
I really would just like more precision in my game. I don't know how to hit very precise shots from the baseline at the moment, because right now I have to string my racket tight in order to get the level of power that I want out of it and I can't hit a shot with that pinpoint precision that so many other people rave about. Plus I want a heftier racket, which is why I came to the conclusion that a mid or a low powered, hefty MP would be good for me. I don't hit with a ton of topspin, but an average amount and I have a middle-of -the-road FH. Its between modern and classic style. I know that I am just not going to be happy with my decision if I stick with this frame. So, I would like your opinion on that. Thank you.

Sounds like you play similar to me:). \

I got into mid 2 years ago after i hit with my coaches N90 and my friends BLX90. The plow and the feel of a mid reeled me in. Ever since i've only played with mids. currently i use the Diablo tour mid which reminds me of those very racket but with better feel and forgiveness.

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-17-2012, 03:01 PM

If you want a heavy frame, then go and get a heavy frame.

But if you want more precision, sorry, you're just going to have to hit a lot of balls and practice. Gamma Big Bubba will be just as precise in the hands of a good player.

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 03:03 PM
If you want a heavy frame, then go and get a heavy frame.

But if you want more precision, sorry, you're just going to have to hit a lot of balls and practice. Gamma Big Bubba will be just as precise in the hands of a good player.

Seriously?.....

And not only would I like more precision, but I think I like the feel of a mid and how it cuts through the air. I might just order a couple and practice my little heart out.

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Sounds like you play similar to me:). \

I got into mid 2 years ago after i hit with my coaches N90 and my friends BLX90. The plow and the feel of a mid reeled me in. Ever since i've only played with mids. currently i use the Diablo tour mid which reminds me of those very racket but with better feel and forgiveness.

how would you describe the feel of the diablo compared to other rackets? I have been told that it has a large sweetspot.

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Seriously?.....

And not only would I like more precision, but I think I like the feel of a mid and how it cuts through the air. I might just order a couple and practice my little heart out.

There you go man. Before you know it, you'll have people telling you to stop using mids because the game has "evolved past mids".

Then you hit a passing shot and put away volleys like they're nothing. Turn around and: "say what now?"

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 03:13 PM
There you go man. Before you know it, you'll have people telling you to stop using mids because the game has "evolved past mids".

Then you hit a passing shot and put away volleys like they're nothing. Turn around and: "say what now?"

HAHAHA this is actually another reason why I want to use one. Blast some awesome passing shots and hit drop shots like no other :D I wonder when the PS 90 will ever go on sale...should I buy a TW gift card? how do those work?

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 03:16 PM
It might be time to start demoing again...that Blade Mid looks pretty sick and got some awesome reviews...

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-17-2012, 03:24 PM
HAHAHA this is actually another reason why I want to use one. Blast some awesome passing shots and hit drop shots like no other :D I wonder when the PS 90 will ever go on sale...should I buy a TW gift card? how do those work?

Once in a while they go on sale for $180. But don't use it just to shut people up if it ends up hurting your game. Tennis racquets are more than just numbers and specs, you really have to go by what feels natural in your hands.

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Once in a while they go on sale for $180. But don't use it just to shut people up if it ends up hurting your game. Tennis racquets are more than just numbers and specs, you really have to go by what feels natural in your hands.

Well I am not just saying this, but when I demoed the PS 90 BLX it really did feel great. In my mind I was asking myself "where have you been this whole time?"

Literally it just felt right and it kinda freaked me out, being a mid and Feds racket. It was like a revelation and I haven't hit a racket yet that has made me feel like that ever since. My hitting partner was using a Pure Drive and he was really surprised that I was using the PS 90 so easily. I could hit any shot I wanted practically. But, like I said, it was only in rallies and not a match. So I have been reluctant to give it a try. I don't know if I should ever buy a pair of rackets...I am not a chronic string breaker. I break strings but not often.

anirut
11-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Mike, just curious, have you demo'd any other mids, other than the BPS90?

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Mike, just curious, have you demo'd any other mids, other than the BPS90?

I have not. Why?

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-17-2012, 06:07 PM
I have not. Why?

Because there are a lot of other great mids.
1) Prestige Mid
2) Pro Kennex Black Ace 93, Redondo Mid (gorgeous paint is a plus! :) )
3) Pacific Vaccum 90
4) Dunlop 100 series
5) Volkl 10 series
Just to name a few

Half of the people use the Wilson Tour 90 for the sake of the image: "I hit just like Federer" when they lack the footwork, timing, technique, strength. They have horrific hand-eye coordination and footwork, when they hit a shot, it looks like they're flopping in a soccer/NBA game. And when they lose, they tell people "oh yeah because there are certain shots I can't hit with a mid."

BS!
1) No one told you to use with a mid when it's beyond your capabilities.
2) You can hit every shot with any racquet.
3) 90 is hard to use. BS, people grew up with the 85 look at 90 as an oversize racquet.

I always tell people to use the most demanding racquet they can find, whether it's the Pro Staff, Prestige Mid, etc. Midsize racquets reinforces good technique, timing, and footwork. It's something you can grow with. If the BLX Pro Staff Tour 90 feels natural to you, then by all means use it!

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 06:20 PM
I think that I will probably demo the: Prestige Mid, PS90, Redondo mid, and one other. idk which other one though. And this will probably happen in the spring, seeing that I probably won't be able to take lessons this winter

Anton
11-17-2012, 06:21 PM
PS90 is not a racket to get lazy with, but if you want to play a smooth game get yourself a pair of PS90s string em up with soft mains and poly crosses and enjoy the game. I know I am :)

I played with all the mids except for the new 2013 Blades and one thing that stands out about Wilson's 90 tours since the nTour days is a crisp feel, big sweespot and solid upper loop stability. The 2012 PS90 is more forgiving due to lower swing weight, but is not quite as stable as previous versions. I like that because it lets me customize it to exactly the swing weight I want (I have 3g of lead on 3 and 9 and 1.5g on 12). I also like Wilson grip shape over other brands.

IG prestige Mid is very good too but feels smaller and tighter pattern makes it less versatile IMO, plus I hate that oval head grip shape. It does have a great, smooth feel that is not too muted.

Redondo mid is similar, but somewhat inferior to IG Prestige and badly needs some lead to be fully stable.

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Maybe I will demo a midplus with these just to feel the difference and then actually play matches with them.

makinao
11-17-2012, 06:29 PM
If you are intrigued by a mid, get a used, old, classic one first. I got a mint Yonex r-22 for US$5 on e**y, and it is fantastic. Old-skool weight and balance (hefty but head light) and feel (solid but flexible). I found another one (as well as a pair of r-27s, which my trainer friends say are also fantastic) for slightly higher, and would have gotten it as my regular sticks. However, I also got a beat-up POG OS at the same time for the same price and loved it even more. So I ended up with a pair of new OSs instead.

anirut
11-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks to Say Chi Sin Lo for answering the OP's question for me. :)

Yes, there are many great mids out there and, IMO, it's best that you try (demo) a lot before spending the real money.

In stock form:
As much as I like feel of the PC600, I don't like the balance.
As much as I like the versatility of the Redondo, it lacks pop.
As much as I like swiftness of the Pacific 90, it requires precise hitting.
As much as I like the precision of the Volkl Tour 10 VE mid, the power is in the negative range.

and so on ...

So, try a lot of them. Each stick has its + & -. Find the one that's "most balanced" for you. I'd suggest that you give the BB London Tour a try before deciding on anything else.

Good luck.

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks to Say Chi Sin Lo for answering the OP's question for me. :)

Yes, there are many great mids out there and, IMO, it's best that you try (demo) a lot before spending the real money.

In stock form:
As much as I like the precision of the Volkl Tour 10 VE mid, the power is in the negative range.

and so on ...

So, try a lot of them. Each stick has its + & -. Find the one that's "most balanced" for you. I'd suggest that you give the BB London Tour a try before deciding on anything else.

Good luck.

Thank you sir!

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 07:13 PM
If you are intrigued by a mid, get a used, old, classic one first. I got a mint Yonex r-22 for US$5 on e**y, and it is fantastic. Old-skool weight and balance (hefty but head light) and feel (solid but flexible). I found another one (as well as a pair of r-27s, which my trainer friends say are also fantastic) for slightly higher, and would have gotten it as my regular sticks. However, I also got a beat-up POG OS at the same time for the same price and loved it even more. So I ended up with a pair of new OSs instead.

I will look at what the bay has to offer, as well as the used section here on TW

HEADfamilydynasty
11-17-2012, 07:26 PM
how would you describe the feel of the diablo compared to other rackets? I have been told that it has a large sweetspot.

Very large:lol:
for a mid.
The feel is IMO similar to the tour 90s but a tad muted.
That's just my experience. YMMV:)

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Very large:lol:
for a mid.
The feel is IMO similar to the tour 90s but a tad muted.
That's just my experience. YMMV:)

Muted how? Like Pure Drive muted? Or like exo3 muted?

Do you like your PK or Prince more? Ever played a dunlop? Sorry if you stated that in a previous post...

I have not been very fortunate with my dealings with the dunlop 300T, both the AG 4D and the Bio...so I am wondering how the 100 is in either one of those...

HEADfamilydynasty
11-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Muted how? Like Pure Drive muted? Or like exo3 muted?

Do you like your PK or Prince more? Ever played a dunlop? Sorry if you stated that in a previous post...

I have not been very fortunate with my dealings with the dunlop 300T, both the AG 4D and the Bio...so I am wondering how the 100 is in either one of those...

Muted as in mushy, but that could very well be the gut/poly feel i'm getting.
I love both but the prince lets me access my whole game and i've only just broke it in. The PK is fantastic when i just want to bludgeon the ball down the line all day or when i'm volleying alot but the prince is better overall.

None of the current ones but I have an old Dunlop Revelation Tour Pro that my coach gave me a couple years ago. It was the first racket, second overall, that really clicked and the feel was crisp.

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 07:55 PM
There's nothing cheap on the bay...

I may actually demo the new blade 93 as well. I like how the diablo is $99 lol.

Is there any MP racket you can compare it to?

HEADfamilydynasty
11-17-2012, 07:59 PM
^^^^
The only midpluses i can compare it to that i've hit with are the YT Speed Pro and the K6.1 95 16/18.

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Interesting...

Well my dad asked me tonight what I am gonna do about my tennis class this winter...I'm pretty sure he knows how badly I want to do it.

If I get into a tennis class I will make sure I demo these along with a couple midpluses that I've always wanted to try.

pkshooter
11-17-2012, 08:59 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Boris_Becker_Delta_Core_London_Tour/descpageRCVOLKL-BBDCLT.html
93in. bit light but cheap
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Dunlop_Aerogel_4D_100_1Hundred/descpageRCDUNLOP-D4D1.html
Nice sweet spot due to extra weight in the hoop, more powerful than the old fed stick, but not as maneuverable the imo.

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-17-2012, 09:32 PM
In stock form:

Most people don't actually realize this, but the stock PC600 is relatively head-heavy compared to most other traditional stick, not by much, but it's more head-heavy. Sort of like the kPS88 (I hated the balance of kPS88).

The Redondo, well that's just pretty. I'd buy it just to hang it on the wall for decoration.

Can't speak on the rest, haven't played with them.

As far as MP playing like mids? There really isn't a lot of them. MP's are MP's, and mids are mids. But if I have to make one recommendation, it'll be the Dunlop 200 series

- ~more or less the feel of a mid
- Margin of errors and forgiveness of a MP

I used the Hotmelt 200g when it came out, LOVED it. I only stopped using it because I discovered the i.Prestige Mid.

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Most people don't actually realize this, but the stock PC600 is relatively head-heavy compared to most other traditional stick, not by much, but it's more head-heavy. Sort of like the kPS88 (I hated the balance of kPS88).

The Redondo, well that's just pretty. I'd buy it just to hang it on the wall for decoration.

Can't speak on the rest, haven't played with them.

As far as MP playing like mids? There really isn't a lot of them. MP's are MP's, and mids are mids. But if I have to make one recommendation, it'll be the Dunlop 200 series

- ~more or less the feel of a mid
- Margin of errors and forgiveness of a MP

I used the Hotmelt 200g when it came out, LOVED it. I only stopped using it because I discovered the i.Prestige Mid.

I have been looking at the 4D 200 tonight...

I had a bad experience with the 4D 300T. It vibrated a TON and had no power or spin, however it was strung pretty tight with poly...tighter than it should have been. Would that racket have vibrated less if I strung it looser? I'm guessing the 200 would have even less vibration.

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-17-2012, 09:44 PM
I have been looking at the 4D 200 tonight...

I had a bad experience with the 4D 300T. It vibrated a TON and had no power or spin, however it was strung pretty tight with poly...tighter than it should have been. Would that racket have vibrated less if I strung it looser? I'm guessing the 200 would have even less vibration.

I haven't tried the 300 since its first generation in the form of HM 300g. And it was a fine stick, just too light but none of that vibration you're referring to.

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 09:47 PM
300T was the first racket I've ever thrown in my life, and I threw it over the fence lol. Does the Redondo really look that nice? Have you hit one?

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-17-2012, 09:50 PM
300T was the first racket I've ever thrown in my life, and I threw it over the fence lol. Does the Redondo really look that nice? Have you hit one?

I don't dare to hit with the Redondo, it's too pretty. I'll kick a squirrel if I ever scratch it. Speaking of pretty, the new Dunlop Max 200g is another frame I'd buy just to hang it on the wall.

jonestim
11-17-2012, 09:52 PM
I picked up my first mids at various thrift shops or a used sports store in town. I don't think I paid much more than $10 for any of them. A POG 4 stripe, a few St Vincent Pro Staff 85s, a couple Kramer Staffs, a Mag Pro 90, PK Copper Ace 90, Wilson N90 (I think it was $15), a couple others that are somewhere in my overflowing closet... The more I find and play with the more I realize that I could play fine with just about any of them as long as I experimented a bit with strings.

You have been asking about the Diablo for months. Demo it. It's cheap. Pick up a couple TW Holiday gift cards for 20% off and you can get two Diablos for $160.

MikeHitsHard93
11-17-2012, 09:53 PM
I don't dare to hit with the Redondo, it's too pretty. I'll kick a squirrel if I ever scratch it. Speaking of pretty, the new Dunlop Max 200g is another frame I'd buy just to hang it on the wall.

Haha I'm gonna end up buying rackets for this reason as well.

I think I am gonna try out the Redondo MP. Mid sounds like it has a super small sweetspot.

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-17-2012, 09:57 PM

I think I am gonna try out the Redondo MP. Mid sounds like it has a super small sweetspot.

Anytime you have an 18x20 pattern, the sweetspot is going to be smaller, but don't let that intimidate you.

In a match, the sweetspot of a Prestige Mid is no smaller than other frames. As in, if you mishit with a Prestige Mid, you're going to mishit with another racquet. A lot of it is in your head.

Fuji
11-17-2012, 09:57 PM

The Redondo mid has such a small sweet spot. Very prestige mid-eske!

-Fuji

anirut
11-17-2012, 10:20 PM
BTW, Mike, I recently experimented my Redondo with a wierdo string preparation -- and it gave me a TON of pop and a very large sweet spot.

What I did was I 'stretched' the whole 10+ meters of the Gosen OG Micro 16 to the extent that it was sorta dead. Not like the usual pre-stretch thing, but actually stretching really hard to kill the string. Then I strung it at 52 lbs. OMG! Why haven't I tried this earlier! God knows from where the power came, and this with the usual control.

At first I didn't know how powerful it was, but it was really plush. I let my hitting partner try it just for the feel which then only I realized how powerful the string set up was. The balls came in heavier than his usual K90.

Note: I didn't care how long the strings would last me as it's a cheap syn. But I think I really got much more than its worth.

So, power is certainly not from the racket alone, but from the right string set up (and string preparation) too.

(I think there may be too many factors for you to digest about your midsize curiosity by now.)

Larrysümmers
11-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Hahahaha. Well is that totally a bad thing? :D should I just add weight to my pro open then? I don't like the light weight. Love everything else though

yeah. add just a little lead around the head. I suggest a touch of lead at the 12. and more than 3grams at the 12 and i would recommend some in the butt as well. but just add 1 and a half or so at the 12 to start out with, it will bump the SW up nicely, but will barley put on any more static wt, thus giving you a nice hammer.

tata
11-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Prince tour diablo mid. Switched not long ago and it is like playing with a MP because it is so forgiving. Serving feels so smooth and fluid.

MikeHitsHard93
11-18-2012, 03:42 AM
BTW, Mike, I recently experimented my Redondo with a wierdo string preparation -- and it gave me a TON of pop and a very large sweet spot.

What I did was I 'stretched' the whole 10+ meters of the Gosen OG Micro 16 to the extent that it was sorta dead. Not like the usual pre-stretch thing, but actually stretching really hard to kill the string. Then I strung it at 52 lbs. OMG! Why haven't I tried this earlier! God knows from where the power came, and this with the usual control.

At first I didn't know how powerful it was, but it was really plush. I let my hitting partner try it just for the feel which then only I realized how powerful the string set up was. The balls came in heavier than his usual K90.

Note: I didn't care how long the strings would last me as it's a cheap syn. But I think I really got much more than its worth.

So, power is certainly not from the racket alone, but from the right string set up (and string preparation) too.

(I think there may be too many factors for you to digest about your midsize curiosity by now.)

Alright if I decide to purchase one then I will probably order it with lightning haha. Tbd

MikeHitsHard93
11-18-2012, 03:43 AM
I picked up my first mids at various thrift shops or a used sports store in town. I don't think I paid much more than $10 for any of them. A POG 4 stripe, a few St Vincent Pro Staff 85s, a couple Kramer Staffs, a Mag Pro 90, PK Copper Ace 90, Wilson N90 (I think it was $15), a couple others that are somewhere in my overflowing closet... The more I find and play with the more I realize that I could play fine with just about any of them as long as I experimented a bit with strings.

You have been asking about the Diablo for months. Demo it. It's cheap. Pick up a couple TW Holiday gift cards for 20% off and you can get two Diablos for $160.

Yeah I think I'm definitely gonna have a go with the diablo mid. It sounds like everything I'm looking for. Will see.

MikeHitsHard93
11-18-2012, 03:45 AM
yeah. add just a little lead around the head. I suggest a touch of lead at the 12. and more than 3grams at the 12 and i would recommend some in the butt as well. but just add 1 and a half or so at the 12 to start out with, it will bump the SW up nicely, but will barley put on any more static wt, thus giving you a nice hammer.

I have actually done this before but I put about 6 grams lol. I didn't know what I was doing at the time...I don't have any more lead tape so I will order some in the near future.

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-18-2012, 03:55 AM
Yeah I think I'm definitely gonna have a go with the diablo mid. It sounds like everything I'm looking for. Will see.

Something about Prince, they almost always play super powerful for me. I don't know if it's the wide/circle head shape and the subsequent large sweetspot and open pattern, they always hit like rocket launchers for me.

Diable mid included.

MikeHitsHard93
11-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Something about Prince, they almost always play super powerful for me. I don't know if it's the wide/circle head shape and the subsequent large sweetspot and open pattern, they always hit like rocket launchers for me.

Diable mid included.

Well I mean I'm gonna have to demo it. I agree for the most part, as I have owned a few princes (tt warrior, o3 emerald, exo3 graphite).

The tt warrior was always strung tight, so it never had a ton of power for me. The o3 emerald was a 110 sq in and 10oz so I had to string it at 62 with syn gut. The exo3 is the most powerful because of the SW and balance (2pts hl). That was my last racket and I hate it. I then moved to the pro open which had a ton more control and touch. Ever since the exo3 I have shyed away from prince rackets.