PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again-Demo Time "Power but with Control"

richsox
11-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Hi Fellow TT'ers,

I'm at a rather interesting junction in my not so illustrious tennis career.I feel the need to find that special stick that still allows me to maintain my only real weapon - decent 1st serve velocity, combined with a decent 2nd serve kicker, and with plenty of directional control on all groundies

Me:

1. Mid-40's
2. Played with Pure Drives primarily for over 10 years
3. Eastern Forehand, Single backhand
3. Decent serve, inconsistent ground strokes
4. Flat hitter (can't quite seem to master top spin)
5. UK LTA rating = 7.2 (possibly equivilant to a US 3.5, not sure)
6. Play four times a week

Currently use a stock Pure Drive (2012) with VS Gut at 57lbs.
(I sometimes yearn for more plowthrough) For some reason I have just not had the success in winning matches with this stick. I've tried lead, but that's just a constant head game for me.....

My demo list:

1. Technifibre 305 - in demo now, and I got a Love-Hate thing going on, but mostly love. Good power on tap for serving, better control on gorundies, but less forgiving and feels more stiff than my Pure Drive's. I think my shoulder may feel a wee bit sore too, but not sure it's fair to blame the 305 on that, as it was a bit sore before i started the demo.

2. Pure Storm Tour is next up (I once owned a PS GT 2009, but did not like the head heavy balance)

3. Pure Drive Roddick (again)

4. 2013 Aeropro drive

If anyone has any views or advice, or recommendations, I'm all ears and eyes !

Thanks and cheers all

LanEvo
11-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Try the 2012 PDR+. Although it may be 0.5" longer, you will not notice the difference too much, and it is a gem at the net too, it is better than the Std. imo, it feels a bit more HL, and much more stable and solid all around. If the weight is too much, even the PD+ isnt too bad, I owned one too, but you lose out on the stability of the Roddicks, but it is much lighter and has a bit more pop.

Our play style is very similar, and I am a bit higher level possibly, but still similar nonetheless.

rlau
11-16-2012, 01:08 AM
I'd try the Wilson Blade 98 18x20 -- Pure Drive type of power with much better control and feel.

The same goes for the Donnay Pro One 97 16x19, but the closed pattern of the Blade will suit your style better. (Haven't tried the closed pattern Pro One, so I can't comment on that.)

sansaephanh
11-16-2012, 02:14 AM
I gotta say. The Yonex RDiS 200 i felt was so much more solid then the tinny babo counterparts. I'm quite in love with this stick. I keep coming back to it because of how solid it feels on serves and all court game.

It's a little flexy, but its a solid frame with more then plenty plow. With the right string it has a ton of pop, but do find myself spraying from time to time. But it happens even more so with a PD in my hands lol.

If you can handle the weight and find a string you really like to compliment it's flexiness and your game, this racket reeaaaallly shines.

chaddles
11-16-2012, 02:22 AM
Blade 98 is one of the best power and control sticks. If ur flat hitter them this is the racquet you should demo.

Ross K
11-16-2012, 02:44 AM
Hi Fellow TT'ers,

I'm at a rather interesting junction in my not so illustrious tennis career.I feel the need to find that special stick that still allows me to maintain my only real weapon - decent 1st serve velocity, combined with a decent 2nd serve kicker, and with plenty of directional control on all groundies

Me:

1. Mid-40's

(I sometimes yearn for more plowthrough) For some reason I have just not had the success in winning matches with this stick. I've tried lead, but that's just a constant head game for me.....

My demo list:

1. Technifibre 305 - in demo now, and I got a Love-Hate thing going on, but mostly love. Good power on tap for serving, better control on gorundies, but less forgiving and feels more stiff than my Pure Drive's. I think my shoulder may feel a wee bit sore too, but not sure it's fair to blame the 305 on that, as it was a bit sore before i started the demo.

2. Pure Storm Tour is next up (I once owned a PS GT 2009, but did not like the head heavy balance)

4. 2013 Aeropro drive

Thanks and cheers all

Juice 100...

Great flat bomber serve and good kicking second. It's still a stiff frame, but comparatively speaking, a bit more lush/crisp in feel as opposed to the PD. It swings mega-quick, is nicely responsive and I find accuracy and control better than certainly the APD. It is surprisingly good for more all court stuff (not my forte TBH.) I like a bit more SW being used to the APD Original, hence I add a bit of lead to my J100, and that helps the J100 feel more solid, although it does have that PWS at 3 and 9 which IMO gives it a certain solidness anyhow. It's been described as sitting just between the APD and PD and I wouldn't argue.

These kind of frames are only fractionally different, but in the few weeks I've had the Wilson, well, I'm impressed.

richsox
11-16-2012, 02:46 AM
Try the 2012 PDR+. Although it may be 0.5" longer, you will not notice the difference too much, and it is a gem at the net too, it is better than the Std. imo, it feels a bit more HL, and much more stable and solid all around. If the weight is too much, even the PD+ isnt too bad, I owned one too, but you lose out on the stability of the Roddicks, but it is much lighter and has a bit more pop.

Our play style is very similar, and I am a bit higher level possibly, but still similar nonetheless.

Thanks LanEvo, I must say that i do want to in my heart stay with the PD family, hence my intention to demo the Roddick, but I just hope I get more feel. Plus versions have never worked for me, and indeed I've already demo-ed - some months ago the PDR+. I may just look for a different type of racket completely, as I am now demoing the PS LTD as well, for days in which I just want to be control orientated, and pretendf I'm a real player!

I'd try the Wilson Blade 98 18x20 -- Pure Drive type of power with much better control and feel.

I once loved the Blade so much I bought it! It was the Nblade 98, and I then demo-ed the KBlade, but I did get elbow issues with both, so left them alone!

The same goes for the Donnay Pro One 97 16x19, but the closed pattern of the Blade will suit your style better. (Haven't tried the closed pattern Pro One, so I can't comment on that.)

Never considered Donnay at all-will study it a bit-thanks!

I gotta say. The Yonex RDiS 200 i felt was so much more solid then the tinny babo counterparts. I'm quite in love with this stick. I keep coming back to it because of how solid it feels on serves and all court game.

It's a little flexy, but its a solid frame with more then plenty plow. With the right string it has a ton of pop, but do find myself spraying from time to time. But it happens even more so with a PD in my hands lol.

If you can handle the weight and find a string you really like to compliment it's flexiness and your game, this racket reeaaaallly shines.

MM OK thanks--I did demo Yonex before, but the weird head shape and I never quite got on ;-)

Blade 98 is one of the best power and control sticks. If ur flat hitter them this is the racquet you should demo.

Yes I kow I hear that alot-that it's great for Flatties--but I had trouble with my elbow on using the Blades-see above

Peedub
11-16-2012, 04:23 AM
Disclaimer - I have the IG Radical Pro for sale in the classified section but this is NOT meant to be an advert - apologies if it comes across that way

The Rad Pro is a great blend of power and control - it is great on the baseline and serves and is soft on the arm/elbow too.

I have been playing a lot more doubles recently and am switching to the Prestige MP for more maneuverability - perhaps the only downside to the Rad Pro is its relative sluggishness.

Definitely worth a demo.

fuzz nation
11-16-2012, 06:49 AM
You're probably on the right track with the Pure Storms - I'm thinking you might like a frame with more flex than your PD. Keep in mind that if you like the general feel and/or response of a different racquet, it's entirely possible to tune the balance of that racquet to get it more familiar for you. I've done it more than once just because I've always liked racquets with significant HL balance.

Any alternative frames with more flex will probably offer a bit more mellow response or less "pop" than your PD, but if a softer option is also a bit more hefty than your PD, it should still offer plenty of potential to thump the ball well for you. When I switched into my current Volkl C10's, they didn't have that same zip at contact that I got with my old 6.1 Classics, but their flex gave me much more freedom to swing out and not worry about spraying the ball off toward who-knows-where.

richsox
11-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Juice 100...

Great flat bomber serve and good kicking second. It's still a stiff frame, but comparatively speaking, a bit more lush/crisp in feel as opposed to the PD. It swings mega-quick, is nicely responsive and I find accuracy and control better than certainly the APD. It is surprisingly good for more all court stuff (not my forte TBH.) I like a bit more SW being used to the APD Original, hence I add a bit of lead to my J100, and that helps the J100 feel more solid, although it does have that PWS at 3 and 9 which IMO gives it a certain solidness anyhow. It's been described as sitting just between the APD and PD and I wouldn't argue.

These kind of frames are only fractionally different, but in the few weeks I've had the Wilson, well, I'm impressed.

Ross, Thanks for chiming in, as I've been following your threads on the Juice recently as well. This racquet does intrigue me indeed (I'd have to get by the hideous pj though--they must be smoking some good stuff in Wilson'd design/paint dep't.!)

I just finished playing in pea soup thick fog - and managed to give the TFight 305 another ride - the more I play it the less I like it - sometimes I just feel I am meant to be a babolonian and that's that.....so I have ordered the PS Ltd, the PS Storm Tour, and have the new 2013 APD coming in December, and I will then demo again the PDR - then I will tell my Mrs. which stick Santa shoudl bring me to add to my PD collection (Team and 2012) :-D....and who knows I may just try that Juice afterall too!

richsox
11-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Disclaimer - I have the IG Radical Pro for sale in the classified section but this is NOT meant to be an advert - apologies if it comes across that way

The Rad Pro is a great blend of power and control - it is great on the baseline and serves and is soft on the arm/elbow too.

I have been playing a lot more doubles recently and am switching to the Prestige MP for more maneuverability - perhaps the only downside to the Rad Pro is its relative sluggishness.

Definitely worth a demo.

Thanks Peedub---I've used at times the Radical MP - from a buddy I play with. I do find them to be solid dependable, reliable, but they just don't float my boat - but thanks anyway mate!

You're probably on the right track with the Pure Storms - I'm thinking you might like a frame with more flex than your PD. Keep in mind that if you like the general feel and/or response of a different racquet, it's entirely possible to tune the balance of that racquet to get it more familiar for you. I've done it more than once just because I've always liked racquets with significant HL balance.

Any alternative frames with more flex will probably offer a bit more mellow response or less "pop" than your PD, but if a softer option is also a bit more hefty than your PD, it should still offer plenty of potential to thump the ball well for you. When I switched into my current Volkl C10's, they didn't have that same zip at contact that I got with my old 6.1 Classics, but their flex gave me much more freedom to swing out and not worry about spraying the ball off toward who-knows-where.

Yeah Fuzz, I got high hopes for the PS's - probably thinking I'll like the tour better, but we'll see!

Ross K
11-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Ross, Thanks for chiming in, as I've been following your threads on the Juice recently as well. This racquet does intrigue me indeed (I'd have to get by the hideous pj though--they must be smoking some good stuff in Wilson'd design/paint dep't.!)

I just finished playing in pea soup thick fog - and managed to give the TFight 305 another ride - the more I play it the less I like it - sometimes I just feel I am meant to be a babolonian and that's that.....so I have ordered the PS Ltd, the PS Storm Tour, and have the new 2013 APD coming in December, and I will then demo again the PDR - then I will tell my Mrs. which stick Santa shoudl bring me to add to my PD collection (Team and 2012) :-D....and who knows I may just try that Juice afterall too!

+2 on wondering what recreational drug or otherwise the Wilson design team are on these days... LSD perhaps? :)

Good luck with all those sticks. Wish I was checking the new APD. Do post your thoughts on that frame.

ArliHawk
11-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Dunlop M 6.0 might be worth a spin.

ohplease
11-16-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm a longtime Aeropro Drive Cortex user, looking for something new as my current sticks are pretty beat. I'm not a big server. I'm currently demoing the Juice Pro and 315 Speedflex and both of them had me serving much bigger than I thought capable. Both are capable of very big serves and groundies. They differ in character - the ball coming off the Juice Pro is much more penetrating and lower in flight, whereas the Speedflex is all about spin (though you can square up behind the ball, if you need to).

I'm inclined towards the Speedflex - but if I heard someone say they wanted a controlled Pure Drive, the first place I'd point them is the Juice Pro. They'd need to be careful about the reduced spin potential off the Juice Pro compared to other frames in its segment, but might not be an issue with a flat hitter.

Hi Fellow TT'ers,

Me:

1. Mid-40's

My demo list:

4. 2013 Aeropro drive

Thanks and cheers all